Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?

Read 7489 times
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Re: Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?
      Reply #46: Oct 19, 2009 02:48:07 am
      Not Liverpool's style. We lost we move on
      spot on
      j-max
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #47: Oct 19, 2009 04:01:06 am
      We should if we can
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #48: Oct 19, 2009 05:06:44 am
      It was a fu**ed up situation and I love rafa's response to not go nuts and to move on. We shouldn't review it as it would set a precident and personally I don't trust the premier league, uefa or fifa to be consistent now or in the future. If they ruled in our favour now it would only bite us in the arse in another issue in the future. The ref and all his team were muppets but our team were the bigger problem in the way they failed to deliver.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #49: Oct 19, 2009 09:34:44 am
      To me the game has been tainted, an unfair result, all the refs seem to admit it was wrong , so why isnt something done about this, surly some sort of review panel should make a decision, it may only be one point, but this season one point could mean everything.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #50: Oct 19, 2009 11:30:15 am
      I have to say that I admire the way Rafa has accepted this with such humility and class, if that had been Neil Big Nose Warnock or Ferguson we would not have heard the end of it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Oct 19, 2009 11:58:23 am
      Cant see the point, We were sh*te, End of, Yes Pepe may have been distracted, And yeah the ref should have stopped the game, But tbh, Sunderland were the better team on the day and would have felt robbed had they not got the 3pts, Imagine it happened to us at the other end, A replay, It's the sort of thing 'ol whiskey nose' would demand,Admit defeat gracefully and move on.

YNWA   IRWT
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #52: Oct 19, 2009 11:59:58 am
      I have to say that I admire the way Rafa has accepted this with such humility and class, if that had been Neil Big Nose Warnock or Ferguson we would not have heard the end of it.

Ditto.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #53: Oct 19, 2009 02:28:44 pm
      Na no way should we appeal..we were sh*t it could have been worse,fair play to sunderland they deserved it we didnt end of.

Lets just move on and get a result against lyon and the scumbags.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #54: Oct 19, 2009 02:44:03 pm
      You can appeal all you like mate, it won't make a blind bit of difference.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #55: Oct 19, 2009 02:44:52 pm
      If Darren Bent had been on his usual form we would have lost by an enormous amount we looked empty lazy and second class the beach ball was just a distraction from all of the above..
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #56: Oct 19, 2009 04:29:36 pm
      Should we appeal? I don't think so. I know that the referee should stop the game to allow removing of the ball but will it changed the fact that we didn't play our best football that day? And if we do appeal, I don't think the result will be in our favour. Firstly, it's not their supporter who threw in the ball, it was ours. So being that a solid case to present on behalf of Sunderland should we make an appeal, I don't think we stand a chance.

Liverpool is either yoou win it or lose it. There's no way around!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #57: Oct 19, 2009 04:35:12 pm
      Referee Mike Jones On Championship Duty After Sunderland's 'Beach Ball' Goal Against Liverpool
      The ref has been temporarily moved down a level as Benitez remains philosophical...
      Mike Jones will referee in the Championship next weekend after controversially allowing Sunderland's winning goal against Liverpool to stand on Saturday.

Darren Bent's shot struck a beach ball thrown onto the pitch by a Liverpool fan and deflected past Pepe Reina into the net. Although most observers were ignorant of the precise rules governing such an incident, it later transpired that the goal should have been disallowed.

FIFA's laws of the game state "the referee should stop, suspend or abandon the match because of outside interference of any kind". The game should therefore have re-started with a dropped ball.

The Premier League today confirmed that the match would not be replayed, but Jones will now officiate the game between Peterborough United and Scunthorpe United at London Road.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez accepted that there was little the Reds could do now, but hoped that the incident would at least make things clearer in the future.

"We know there was a mistake, so that's it," he mused to reporters at a press conference today. "We don't want to change things, and we cannot change things so it's better to move forward.

"From the bench I couldn't see the ball. After when we watched the replay we were surprised because we thought it was a balloon. It was more than a balloon!

"But I think it's clear, all the experts agree that the goal could be disallowed, and that's it. So now in the future it will maybe be easier for the rest of the teams.

"I think it's just a special situation so hopefully in the future it will not happen again. It's something that you cannot stop, the referee has to see these things before."
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/9/england/2009/10/19/1570855/referee-mike-jones-on-championship-duty-after-sunderlands
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #58: Oct 19, 2009 05:25:35 pm
      If we complain about it then we sound like Ferguson and Man. U , making excuses for losses.  But if the rule states that the goal should be disallowed then it should be disallowed.  Its not a grey area, it was clearly deflected off the beachball.  The rule is their for this instsnce. Beyond doubt.

I would certainly take a draw out of it or a replay of the match, but it just makes us look like bitches.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #59: Oct 19, 2009 05:39:53 pm
      a lot of you are missing the point
      had this goal not gone in, it may have been a very different game, heres hoping but maybe would have been more confident if we were not a goal down so early.

also what would happen if somebody threw another snooker ball onto a snooker table whilst a pro match was on or god forbid a brick in front of jenson button yesterday. It just isnt fair, now if it was another team then maybe things would be done, you all know who im talking about.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #60: Oct 19, 2009 05:40:51 pm
      Anyone remember the goal the mancs conceded a couple of years ago against tottenham when the ball was miles over the line and Graham Norton flapped it out and the goal wasn't given?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #61: Oct 19, 2009 05:59:50 pm
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #62: Oct 19, 2009 06:24:50 pm
      Just accept the facts: the goal was given, we lost, we played like sh*t, we aren't going to appeal, and there is no point dwelling in the past because we have got far more important matches coming up in the next 2 weeks

end of.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #63: Oct 19, 2009 10:42:36 pm
      Completly agree with you.Lets acceptance this the way Rafa has and move on..
      Just accept the facts: the goal was given, we lost, we played like sh*t, we aren't going to appeal, and there is no point dwelling in the past because we have got far more important matches coming up in the next 2 weeks

end of.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #64: Oct 19, 2009 10:43:53 pm
      Can someone explain to be why any fan would bring a beach ball to the game anyway?How does that help to cheer on the lads...?
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #65: Oct 20, 2009 01:56:59 am
      Recently. (in the club shop)  there was a special on the beach set that includes the beach ball  (10 pounds)

I think with the prices of merchandise in the club shop the lads parents may have been looking for a bargain. Maybe thats all he had with the badge on it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Oct 20, 2009 09:39:25 am
      Like the saying goes, Build a Bridge and get over it.

Done, dusted, sh*t happens (more usually than not, against us) but let's just move onto beating Lyon.
      alwaysred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #67: Oct 20, 2009 09:43:14 am
      Liverpool Beach Ball T-Shirt

We'll probably see some of these these on Sunday as the beach balls are now sold out.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #68: Oct 20, 2009 09:53:07 am
      Shouldn't that T-Shirt read Beach Ball 1 - Liverpool 0 ?

F***ing Muppets!  :tosser:

Quick Reply