Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The real positives and negatives from our summer transfers

Read 1863 times
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      The real positives and negatives from our summer transfers
      Sep 19, 2009 06:43:22 am
      I think now is the time to really start assessing how we've changed since the transfer window.
      Everybody was talking and talking earlier, but after a good 8 or 9 games, and a contrast in performances, I think that we can now really see how we've grown.

Well, for one, Alonso. This has been both a blessing and a sin. For one, without playing the same style with that holding midfielder, we have become more attacking. This has helped us to put away those teams that really troubled us with their 'parking the bus' style last season. Both Stoke and Burnley were thrown aside like nothing, because we took the game to them from the very first minute.

On the other hand however, the loss of Alonso has meant that we've lost those all important midfield battles on a number of occasions. The 'big' games, such as the big 4, City, Villa and Spurs, all really depend on who wins this midfield battle. Last season, we won the midfield battles almost every game. Now, without Alonso, we've lost that difference maker. He really helped to tip the battles in the middle of the park in our favor.

Perhaps Aquilani will be able to help that situation, but currently, Lucas doesn't provide the range that Xabi did. Don't get me wrong, I think Lucas has been decent, but he is utilised almost as another Mascherano, and doesn't really have those long killer passes that Xabi had. He also doesn't have the composure that Xabi had on the ball.

As for the other key change in our squad, this has been a very, very big improvement attacking wise. Johnson's acquisition has meant that we now have alot more width on that right side. Kuyt was a great player, has that determination, but never really had that skill. Johnson now provides him with that extra bit of skill on the right, which Arbeloa could not. Everytime we are in possession, Johnson pushes right up to the edge of the by line, and practically plays as a Right Midfielder.

So, while we have really improved offensively at right back, defensively I think we are a bit more frail. Alot has been said about Johnson's defending, and while I don't agree fully, I do still think that he does have a bit of work to be done defensively. Surely Rafa of all people will be able to get those defensively qualities out of him, and this will no longer be a problem.

As for our centre backs, losing Hyypia was a loss, but not really a big one. He was a great reader of the game, but hardly a regular. We replaced him with a similar player, Krygiakos. Hopefully Krygiakos can be solid when called upon.

At left back, and while it isn't a new signing, Insua has been great, both offensively and defensively. If he continues to improve, he will become a truely world class player. Too much has been said about Rafael and Fabio, Zhirkov, Gibbs, Ivanovic, but nothing about Insua. Insua is truely a great player, and will provide competition with Aurelio at left back.

So overall, we have become better at putting away the smaller teams, but have thus far fared worse against the stronger teams.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Re: The real positives and negatives from our summer transfers
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2009 01:57:57 pm
      I think its a bit early to be assessing the summer transfers, wait until Aquilani gets fit and then we'll have a better idea of the system we'll be playing and how it works against certain sides. Aquilani is completely different from Lucas so with him in the middle it could be a totally different brand of football we play.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #2: Sep 22, 2009 12:23:00 pm
      I think our early season problems are we have had to reinvent the way we play with attacking full backs and a midfield without Alonso who has been our orchestrator dictating much of our football for the last five seasons , it looks like we are just getting used to playing without Xavi and putting a decent run together , but with Auqualaini nearing fitness we are going to have to adjust again at a cruicial time with big games just around the corner .

TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #3: Sep 22, 2009 12:32:29 pm
      Negative: Lucas is still here.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Sep 22, 2009 12:35:12 pm
      Good post Joey.

Like ShanerB has said, it is a bit too early to be assessing our summer dealings. However, what we can say is that it is clear that the likes of Lucas has improved massively. It proves what a run in the team can do for you. I am looking forward to seeing Aquilani play as I think he does add slightly more than Lucas.

Defensively, I don't think we have to worry about our problems with defending set-peices......yet. These problems can be fixed very easily but need to be fixed asap.

All in all, we have done okay. Still a few areas to be worked on but, I am confident that we will be competing for the title come May.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Sep 22, 2009 12:43:42 pm

Yeah, i'd love to have seen Spearing try and do a job like Lucas has.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #6: Sep 22, 2009 12:44:19 pm
      Good post Joey, although dont agree about Insua, he's been solid but not great.
      PhilV
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 22, 2009 02:10:14 pm

good one you spanner, he's been one of the most consistent this season and been good.

the negative for me is Aquilani being injured and us having to wait, I know youtube only shows good points of him but the good points are really REALLY good
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #8: Sep 22, 2009 03:10:10 pm
      good one you spanner, he's been one of the most consistently average players this season and been good.

the negative for me is Aquilani being injured and us having to wait, I know youtube only shows good points of him but the good points are really REALLY good

Good post
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #9: Sep 22, 2009 03:14:56 pm

You're just boring me now. Do one.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #10: Sep 22, 2009 05:10:57 pm
      One day, I will log in and read a thread about our team that doesn't bash Lucas Leiva.

I won't hold my f**king breath though, the lad is performing well. Get off his f**king back.

Other than that it's a good post Joey but i'm going to wait until Aquilani is fit a firing on all cylinders before passing comment on whether Rafa has spent wisely.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Sep 22, 2009 10:58:02 pm

Correction, Negative.....You're still here  ::)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #12: Sep 22, 2009 11:01:57 pm
      Correction, Negative.....You're still here  ::)

Anyone remember king cantona's IP address?
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 520 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 22, 2009 03:03:13 am
      I think it's time that this can come back, after our recent 4 loss streak.

I think it's also helpful to add that we are playing a lot riskier this season. No more holding up with the holding midfielder in order to defend properly before attacking. This season we are going all out from the very beginning of matches, and it seems that it isn't working too well.
      gareth_lfc_belfast
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 22, 2009 12:43:10 pm
      positives

johnson, aquilani

negatives

babel voronin lucas still here
      signing kyriagkos
      not signing silva
      selling alonso in the first place