Trending Topics

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match. Liverpool v Lyon (20/10/09)

Pepe Reina
      (7.7%)
      Martin Kelly
      (70.9%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (21.4%)

Liverpool 1-2 Lyon: Post match disbelief...again!

Read 40160 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Lyon: Post match disbelief...again!
      Reply #345: Oct 21, 2009 12:28:06 pm
      That could of been the confidence-booster that we needed.

Good save from their keeper though!

It was a blinding save, one handed.  The b***ard :D
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #346: Oct 21, 2009 12:31:34 pm
      Looked disinterested, sloppy in the second half which cost us.

I think there might be a complacent attitude between the lads thinking 'Aye we've got the first goal now in 4 games, everything will fall back into place!' Thoughts like these are what impacts our mindset of the game.

We played to the mark for 45 minutes. The other 45 minutes, we were in dreamland and thought we secured 3 points. And the sad fact is, we showed no urgency whatsoever even after they equalised to try and find the winner.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #347: Oct 21, 2009 01:02:27 pm
      Just a quick note from a tosser that watched it on tv and didnt attend the REAL game - dont be an arse and tar us all with the same brush.

So your not allowed to have an opinion if you were not at the game then.

Grow up.

Look tosser if you bothered to read the posting I did'nt say everyone that watches the game on TV are tossers.As you admit to being ,good on yer.

Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #348: Oct 21, 2009 01:07:34 pm

BEST post so far imo.Nice one Kenny.Its always good to get to the posts of those that actually attended the game,cos its pretty obvious MOST of the S***e posted so far are from alot of tossers that watched what I call "the small picture" ie TV.Ok the performance may have been below par however lets not forget that Lyon were and are top of the group (they're no mugs)They also lead they're league AND have a great history.True to form the same tossers will be looking to apportion the blame ie Lucas and even Vronin (who had 8 mins)Am I the first to say at times I thought Lucas got stuck right in at times last night albeit going missing at times.But then we cannot let him (Lucas ) shoulder the blame.Finally as some players follow our forum lets show them that we are not fickle t**ts but the BEST supporters through thick and thin.    

I understand what you mean about armchair supporters and that, but im a fan, a member whatever who did watch it on tv so I don’t think it matters because those who don’t go, and I will argue with anyone that a lot of people who don’t go to games arent going because of the cost of football not the fact they arent fans, however im sure there are plenty of the aformentioned who don’t go to games and are glory hunting cocks, I wouldn’t have been posting last night from my arm chair because I didn’t have the money to go, as I said I understand your point but I don’t think it makes some people tossers because they have a negative opinion.

However I would agree booing the team isnt a good thing and that was dissapointing, I can understand the boos for taking Benayoun off for Voronin though but regardless its sheer frustration. No one wants to lose and we are waiting for this Liverpool team to grow and expected progress from last season. I can be the positive person about my club but lack of depth, passion, heart this season is inexcusable and we can blame a lot of things, we have looked poor at times this season. We are missing players but at times it seems like we look void of any heart.

What I got from last night was we didn’t look like conceding, I thought it was going to be tough and we needed that ugly win. Two seasons ago Played 3, drew 1 and lost 2 and if anyone says we arent capable of qualifying the mancs obv didn’t see us beat Olympiakos or AC Milan when we were against the odds. Idiots who say Benitez to go etc are idiots but I can understand the boos and the frustration, we still don’t make Anfield intimidating in the slightest and once again credit to the away fans who made some good noise. Martin Kelly shone for me last night, we lost because of the idiotic zonal marking, we didn’t budge after that corner and it was poor Reina. I dodnt see us scoring apart from Benayoun but I remember Kellys awesome cross to Aurelio and perhaps we should have got more. Lyon looked more than comfortable at times and yeah its not good to lose 4 in a row, so shall we all be idiotic cretins who start calling for the manager and boo? Do you F**k every single person that has any part of Liverpool about them should be on their feet, shouting their F***ing heads off because YNWA till you die, and we win on Sunday everything will change

F**k the boo boys, however I cant say im overly optimistic, but being a red I am more than ready to support my team whether we win, lose or draw

YNWA
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #349: Oct 21, 2009 01:44:36 pm
      I go whenever I can get a ticket and have to watch on tv most of the time. I would be there week in week out if I could. Last few times I've been it's clear there are some fans who've had season tickets for years, don't want to let them go, but just slag off rafa, the players etc and do not sing or anything. Agianst Villa, one fella even told me it's crap in the Kop and he prefers the Centenary as it's a better view. F**k me! I'd kill to be in there every game. Then you get the day-trippers who somehow get tickets and just come to take photos - not fair on us proper fans who want to but cannot go every game and would get fully behind the team and sing our hearts out.

Anyway, rant over. We can still go through the group and we've done it before. And right now we are points behind the scum with a chance to slash it on Sunday. So let's get behind the boss and the redmen and fight back!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #350: Oct 21, 2009 02:54:53 pm
      I hope we lose on Sunday...I say F**k the team... I say F**k OFF back to old twatford dickhead, If i were stood next to you when you said that  you would have woke up seeing stars my friend, Now piss off.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #351: Oct 21, 2009 03:03:46 pm
      One thing I hate is a part-time, gloryhunting c**t! That is is what you are in my opinion.

How can he bring success, when he has both arms tied behind his back.

As soon as we got a couple of injuries, like what has happened this week and last night, it becomes clear how thread-bare our squad is.

Who's fault is that? Certainly not Rafa's

YANK cu*ts OUT! NOW!!!!

Very Funny !
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #352: Oct 21, 2009 03:10:43 pm
      I thought the game started out shaky with neither team playing particularly well, but overall while Gerrard was on the pitch they were slightly the better side.  After he went off and Aurelio came on we looked a better side, and the energy of Aurelio made a big difference to our play.  
      However, with the chances that were created they were falling to the wrong people, and frankly we did not have a striker of note on the pitch. I do find it frustrating that as a major player in Europe and the Prem League that we do not have any class strikers on the bench, and I do blame Rafa for this. You can talk about money all you like and how the owners have starved him, but without strikers you dont win matches against good opposition on a consistent basis.
      Ngog is a promising young player probably of the ilk of a Macheda or a Sturridge, but you dont see SAF or Ancelotti sending those players out to lead the line in a crucial CL fixture. This match was screaming out for a striker, and not to have one in the absence of Gerrard and Torres is in my opinion an oversight.
      Positives were the performance of Kelly, Aurelio, Mascherano, and Reina.
      Our hopes in the CL and the prem are now resting heavily on the premise that Gerrard and Torres dont miss any more matches, and that Aqualini makes a big impact when he gets on the pitch. I seriously hope we get a decent striker in January and unload Babel, Voronim, and Lucas.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #353: Oct 21, 2009 03:13:00 pm
      I agree Whole heartedly with Big Sexy there is nothing more than I hate than the boo-boys. Just because of the simple fact that they don't know what it means to support a team nevermind Liverpool F.C. Okay we lost and we were obviously very upset with Voronin for Yossi but Rafa obviously thought the more strikers on the pitch the better chance of nicking a late winner. I love Rafa and want him to stay but what he did to xabi is almost unforgivable he made him feel unwanted and it was always gonna backfire on him. But what we really messed up on was not keeping players that were good enough to start and also good enough to step into the team when needed with obvious examples being Crouchy, Bellamy, Sissoko and Keane these are the players I would want in my squad when Torres, Gerrard and masch get injured but Rafa focused more on the the starting eleven and with that was leaving himself very vulnrable to injuries concerning key players... What I want now is for every Liverpool fan there on Sunday is to support the team cause if you don't you are no F***ing use and really know F**k all about being a fan...
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #354: Oct 21, 2009 04:23:44 pm
      The main problem with our team is passing. Our passings were not perfectly received. Too many errors. We wasted too many chances with our poor judgements. Our midfield not connecting with our front line and N'Gog need to bulk up because his physical strengh was not even an evidence of a good striker. On the other hand, Martin Kelly's performance was commendable. I can see him being the next academy born star for our future.

Sometimes, our players played too relaxed. There's no urgency in their game eventhough we were down, but when it was 10 minutes or so from the end, then they'll starting to push forward. That's the problem, they have to change their laid back approach in the game and start to show some attacking mentality.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #355: Oct 21, 2009 04:28:17 pm
      Liverpool have always been at their best when they press other teams hard and when they havent got the ball they press even harder.TO my mind only Mascherano showed that type of commitment last night and sadly without Xabi we have nobody yet who can dictate play by passing the ball. Lets hope Aqualani comes through tonights game unscathed.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #356: Oct 21, 2009 04:35:24 pm
      Look tosser if you bothered to read the posting I did'nt say everyone that watches the game on TV are tossers.As you admit to being ,good on yer.

Yep thats right I do become a tosser when tw*ts like you spout rubbish. "Oh I went to the game so I must have a better opinion of what went on that the others." What a clown.
      « Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009 04:37:07 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Post was inside the quote box. »
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #357: Oct 21, 2009 05:39:58 pm
      I won't be able to watch the whole match until tonight (broadcasted late here), but after reading this thread  it's obvious what a nightmare it was.

I can't comment on the players, though I did see the last goal (and felt my heart break right about then). Devastating that. Thought Carra was going to cry, too, as Gow said. That's why we love him, though. And we DO love him, because you know his heart broke, too.

What I can say is this... What a sad state of affairs when Liverpool's world-renowned twelfth man is booing and calling for its own team's blood and the manager's head on a pike. For the purpose of clarity I'm not talking about the constructive posters on the forum who have something critical to say about the team. No one is beyond criticism and for the most part it seems spot on. And, clearly, I'm not talking about the supporters at Anfield either, men and women who sang themselves hoarse to goad the boys on.

No. I'm talking to you who come from under your rock and spew your negativity on what we - the real fans - hold sacred. Are you such a miserable b***ard that you can't help but to try and infect others with your gloom? And, I'm talking to you fairweathers, too, who flip-flop depending on how YOU feel. Your interest isn't in the team's well-being, it's in your own selfish enjoyment. I know your type and I don't like the spineless lot of you.

I'm five time zones away and have never set foot in the city of Liverpool. I have less football knowledge than most of the regulars and will admit it every day of the week. I come from a country where "soccer" is still something of a mystery to most and is very often a source of mockery. Do you know what the real difference is, though?

I get it.

You don't.

I understand what this club stands for. I understand the pride in our history and tradition. I understand that it's a family. Yes, despite it's status as a corporate entity it is a family. When my family or friends fall down I don't rake them over the coals. I put my hand out and help get them back on their feet. "What do you need from me?", I might say. I'm here for you. I might call them out when they're jerking it up, but they always have my support. I wasn't angry after the second goal. I was hurt like I would be for anyone or thing I care about.

You call out the very man who has been a tireless servant to Liverpool FC and demand he be removed. Do you really have to be reminded that his is a thankless job? He gets sh*t on every which way -- be it the owners, the FA, the media --- and now by you. How he hasn't walked I do not know.

What you need to do is go away. You're not welcome. Crawl back under your rock. Once you've evolved, come back. This is a family after all and family's have each others' back.

YNWA

IRWT

Cheers to all the positive supporters' posts I've read. Sometimes you eat the nut, sometimes you eat the shell. We'll weather this.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #358: Oct 21, 2009 05:41:48 pm
      I'm ready to wake up and see the real score now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #359: Oct 21, 2009 07:12:03 pm
      I won't be able to watch the whole match until tonight (broadcasted late here), but after reading this thread  it's obvious what a nightmare it was.

I can't comment on the players, though I did see the last goal (and felt my heart break right about then). Devastating that. Thought Carra was going to cry, too, as Gow said. That's why we love him, though. And we DO love him, because you know his heart broke, too.

What I can say is this... What a sad state of affairs when Liverpool's world-renowned twelfth man is booing and calling for its own team's blood and the manager's head on a pike. For the purpose of clarity I'm not talking about the constructive posters on the forum who have something critical to say about the team. No one is beyond criticism and for the most part it seems spot on. And, clearly, I'm not talking about the supporters at Anfield either, men and women who sang themselves hoarse to goad the boys on.

No. I'm talking to you who come from under your rock and spew your negativity on what we - the real fans - hold sacred. Are you such a miserable b***ard that you can't help but to try and infect others with your gloom? And, I'm talking to you fairweathers, too, who flip-flop depending on how YOU feel. Your interest isn't in the team's well-being, it's in your own selfish enjoyment. I know your type and I don't like the spineless lot of you.

I'm five time zones away and have never set foot in the city of Liverpool. I have less football knowledge than most of the regulars and will admit it every day of the week. I come from a country where "soccer" is still something of a mystery to most and is very often a source of mockery. Do you know what the real difference is, though?

I get it.

You don't.

I understand what this club stands for. I understand the pride in our history and tradition. I understand that it's a family. Yes, despite it's status as a corporate entity it is a family. When my family or friends fall down I don't rake them over the coals. I put my hand out and help get them back on their feet. "What do you need from me?", I might say. I'm here for you. I might call them out when they're jerking it up, but they always have my support. I wasn't angry after the second goal. I was hurt like I would be for anyone or thing I care about.

You call out the very man who has been a tireless servant to Liverpool FC and demand he be removed. Do you really have to be reminded that his is a thankless job? He gets sh*t on every which way -- be it the owners, the FA, the media --- and now by you. How he hasn't walked I do not know.

What you need to do is go away. You're not welcome. Crawl back under your rock. Once you've evolved, come back. This is a family after all and family's have each others' back.

YNWA

IRWT

Cheers to all the positive supporters' posts I've read. Sometimes you eat the nut, sometimes you eat the shell. We'll weather this.

Hello Brother!!!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #360: Oct 21, 2009 07:15:30 pm
      A great post that. Off to find it to + you BR!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #361: Oct 21, 2009 07:22:27 pm
      Its nice to see that someone so far away has more insight in this club than some who proport to be fans right here at home. You obvioulsy have the same feeling for the club that Rafa and his family have and it pains me to see him so distressed by recent events. He is not a quitter and its definitely our job to support him and the team especially now more than ever.Some fans turn up at Anfield 5 mins from kick off and its ok entertain me. well thats not how its supposed to work we feed of each other the team and the supporters in unision why do we get called the 12th man because we can influence a game as much as some players can.Cant think of a better game the UTD on Sunday for the crowd to show the team how much we are behind them.Thats a definite plus for Brooklyn Red from me.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #362: Oct 21, 2009 07:26:09 pm
      A + from me too.  Great post BR!  Says it all.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #363: Oct 21, 2009 07:31:39 pm
      A + from me too.  Great post BR!  Says it all.
      have to say well done
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #364: Oct 21, 2009 07:56:32 pm
      Brilliant post that BR and could not agree more.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #365: Oct 21, 2009 09:35:06 pm
      I can only echo the sentiments of the previous 5 poster  well done B.R. !  another plus coming your way !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #366: Oct 21, 2009 09:53:07 pm
      Confidence visibily drained when they equalised. Too many hopeful long balls played to a young lad whose game is not based on holding he ball up, and to be frank he isnt good enough yet to be relied on as our main striker. When Stevie went it left Yossi as our only proper threat on the pitch.

In saying that Kuyt had a goal disallowed that should have stood. We lost our main man after 20 minutes having started with 2 more out injured and covered by inexperienced youngsters who done brilliant (Kelly) and ok (N'Gog) Agger got another 90 and Masch had probably his best game this season.

We have a job on now to qualify but one I think we will acheive. What wont achieve anything is booing at full and booing our managers desicions. When he took Yossi off I was stunned. Didnt compel me to boo though! Fu**ing shocking that. And then when the whistle goes for full time our lads have lost 4 on the bounce, confidence shot, the world famous 12th man sticks the knife in. Some people should read the words to Youll never walk alone, same people who will be praising the boys on Sunday if we get a win.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #367: Oct 21, 2009 10:08:29 pm
      It was dissapointing and sitting so far away watching it on tv made it even worse coz i could see that the players were desperately hurting after that result.
      They tried, everybody played their part, but simply werent good enough. This game only further highlighted our lack of depth in the squad...
      We had a 19yr old in right defence, a 21 yr old left back, a 22yr old central midfielder and a 21yr old striker leading the line...all of this in a match which we desperately needed to win.
      Those guys tried, but were found short, coz the demands on CL football are at a different level from the EPL.

I can only hope that Gerrard, Torres and Aquilani makes full recoveries soon to make this a totally different looking team. Its too soon to start with doom prophecies...we will turn our season around.
      Now is the time to show the rest of the world, what it means to be a LFC supporter, by standing behind our team!
      YNWA

Quick Reply