Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match. Liverpool v Lyon (20/10/09)

Pepe Reina
      (7.7%)
      Martin Kelly
      (70.9%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (21.4%)

Liverpool 1-2 Lyon: Post match disbelief...again!

Read 40266 times
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Lyon: Post match disbelief...again!
      Reply #46: Oct 20, 2009 10:12:47 pm
      stunned and sickened. we are so poor atm. for the Lyon equaliser Reina made 3 saves yet the defence was static. the winner was even worse defensively. thought we could win tonight but we have so little to offer when Torres and Gerrard are out. To say Ngog is our top striker in Torres's absence is a slamming indictment of our current situation. In fairness to the lad he has improved but he is not good enough for the CL and indeed for this club. Carra, Insua, Lucas all had poor games indeed the whole team seems to be lacking spirit and fight.

Rafa has to go back to basics, get the defence sorted and start from there, back to 2005 in some ways.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #47: Oct 20, 2009 10:12:58 pm
      That better have been a joke.

A Liverpool fan always wants Liverpool to win, no matter how dire the situation. And currently with this situation, a defeat on Sunday could potentially see the unfortuate exit of one man (not two like you're suggest) named Rafael Benitez.

desperate ends
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #48: Oct 20, 2009 10:14:21 pm
      hope we get beat on sunday - only way to get rid of these pricks im afraid

What are you on?

As a Liverpool fan, I'd rather Liverpool won every game and we kept Hicks and Gillett than lost constantly. Especially about the Manc Scum.
      Call yourself a fan.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #49: Oct 20, 2009 10:14:47 pm
      I say f**k the team - in 10 years time Fernando Torres will be sunning himself in Spain somewhere - the question is where will Liverpool be?   I dread to think

I say F**k you. Never turn your back on the team.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #50: Oct 20, 2009 10:15:05 pm
      We just weren't good enough again.

How in the name of God have we ended up with Ngog as a main striker up front on a big CL night ?!?!? A BOY to do a mans job!!!! I've been pretty measured in posts up to now but am pretty f***in pissed off after that game tonight. Voronin, jayzus, the chap is too scared to pick a pass. Lucas, another anonymous boy wandering around the middle of the park.
      And the change at the back at the end, bringing Skytel on - he is playing atrocious, that switch and reorg cost us the last goal (though Kelly got injured, which was unlucky, he had a very good game).

We have a serious problem. With the few injuries we have, the squad is just to weak. Bollox to those who say the owners are the only problem (we know they're cretins). But we have a guy who cost £20M who hasn't kicked a ball, spends his days f***in swimming !!!!!!!!! Don't tell me THAT money couldn't have been better spent. Barry - £12M for fucks sake. Grab him and Kevin Doyle for £6M. And maybe Nico f***in Kranchar with the poxy change (he was £3M). No, they're not world beaters, but they have premiership experience which is CRUCIAL - and they're FIT to play which helps!! And £11M for Babel --- on the bench tonight and too f***in crap TOO bring on ?!?!

Yep, know we need to support the team, especially now, and I will and always will. But in saying that we can't paper over the cracks. They're getting to wide. Utd will not come on Sun with any fear.
      What can we do about it though at this stage ? - absolutely nothing unfortunately, just hope the players we have at the moment can turn it around. And I'm talking about the Premiership - I'd have taken a loss tonight before the game if you told me we could somehow beat the scum on Sunday. My heart says they will, my head says we won't :(

Off now for a nice glass of whiskey and ice  .... :)
      Life goes on
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #51: Oct 20, 2009 10:15:08 pm

Die hard Red you mate.

I say f**k the team - in 10 years time Fernando Torres will be sunning himself in Spain somewhere - the question is where will Liverpool be?   I dread to think

Why single out Torres? He's undoubtedly the best striker we've had in a long long time.

I'll also take this opportunity to say  :ontopic: This is a thread for talking about the match we've just unfortunately had to bear witness to. Not a thread for airing your opinion about which manager we should employ or Torres' holidaying habits in a decades time.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #52: Oct 20, 2009 10:15:27 pm
      think it's time to leave lucas out though.. not adding enough..
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #53: Oct 20, 2009 10:15:36 pm
      We were a shambles.

Got tore apart down the left far too easily. Created very few clear cut chances. Didn't pick up their forward men, they just left our midfield and back four for dead.

Don't know what was going on with Stevie. If he wasn't injured, no need to bring him off. If he was only fit enough to last 25 minutes or so, was idiotic to start him. Not gonna blame him going off for our downfall because we were hardly exceptional with him on the pitch.

Two players can hold their heads up high tomorrow morning - Kelly and Reina. Everybody else let themselves, the fans and the club down.
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2009 10:20:37 pm by CRK, Reason: MoTM altered »
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #54: Oct 20, 2009 10:15:56 pm
      LCF - Gaz ...Rafa led us last season and we payed magnificently!!!! so that's not fair
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #55: Oct 20, 2009 10:16:49 pm
      Rafa got to drop Insua for the mancs game, he played s**t out of his position, he cant do that when mancs on form, play him in carling cup instead, but this sunday game is must win. if we want to win the league we must beat the mancs.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #56: Oct 20, 2009 10:17:25 pm
      What are you on?

As a Liverpool fan, I'd rather Liverpool won every game and we kept Hicks and Gillett than lost constantly. Especially about the Manc Scum.
      Call yourself a fan.

so would I - but the best we can hope for is a scrape for 3/4th place - I'm willing to forgo another dreary Champions League campain if it forces out these cu*ts - remember - they're staring down the barrel of the banks gun, and the money being made by LFC is all that is allowing them to retain control - if that money goes, so do they....
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #57: Oct 20, 2009 10:17:47 pm
      Going to have nightmares about the first goal especially.

Reina pulled off two saves, Kelly tried to clear it but every other person in red just F***ing stood there.

Horrible, horrible defending.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #58: Oct 20, 2009 10:18:03 pm

When you walk through a storm,
      Hold your head up high,
      And don't be afraid of the dark.
      At the end of a storm,
      There's a golden sky,

kensiko6
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #59: Oct 20, 2009 10:18:56 pm
      Gerrard was taken off as a precaution tonight.. he'll play sunday without a doubt in my mind

were still only 7 points behind, we genrally have a poor October granted i can't remember the last time we lost

4 on the bounce.
      lfc-gaz
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #60: Oct 20, 2009 10:19:11 pm

Take it your one of the fans who cant wake up and smell whats cooking. Rafa = defensive, poor quality football.  Its not good to watch, and the amount of half wits he has purchased over 5 years is a joke.  The blame stands with the gaffa end of, OUT NOW RAFA!!!!
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #61: Oct 20, 2009 10:19:17 pm
      Hope kelly is not badly injured.. was very impressed. defo one for the future.. What is the story with Babel, he was in his trainers.. looks like he will go in January. we really have nothing up front without nand.. we need to spend in Jan if it's not too late
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #62: Oct 20, 2009 10:19:45 pm
      2007-2008

After 3 games:

Vs Porto - Draw 1-1

Vs Marseille - Loss 1-0

Vs Besiktas - Loss 2-1

1 Point
            For 2 Against 4

Marseille topped the group with 7 meaning we were 6 behind. Cant find Porto's results but I think they were also on 7.

Still made it through and scored 16 goals in the remaining 3 games!

2009 - 2010

After 3 games:

Vs Debrecen - Win 1-0

Vs Fiorentina  - Loss 2-0

Vs Lyon - Loss 2-1

3 points
           For 2 Against 4

We are 2 points better off than we were in 07-08 and the gap isn't as big as between us and 2nd place.

muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #63: Oct 20, 2009 10:20:20 pm
      what is even more depressing is that Lyon were missing a lot of first choice defenders. amazed after the weekend that the players did not
      have more desire and urgency to their play. confidence must be shot Rafa has to do more to rectify that

Ross depends on what Fiorentina do against Lyon? if they beat them we will have to beat them by 2
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #64: Oct 20, 2009 10:21:07 pm
      Take it your one of the fans who cant wake up and smell whats cooking. Rafa = defensive, poor quality football.  Its not good to watch, and the amount of half wits he has purchased over 5 years is a joke.  The blame stands with the gaffa end of, OUT NOW RAFA!!!!

I'm personally well behind Rafa - it's the fuckers upstairs who must go - by any means necessary
      ERMIS REDS
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #65: Oct 20, 2009 10:21:21 pm
      Is going to be a bumpy right on Sunday...never seen a liverpool team with no passion 15 minutes to go. it was as if they were waiting for their destiny to happen,
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #66: Oct 20, 2009 10:21:37 pm
      Now is not the time to get rid of Rafa. Deservs more than this. Also would cost too much to sack him anyway
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #67: Oct 20, 2009 10:21:49 pm
      How can we ... really?

Come on F***ing seriously ... wow. What the F**k?

I'm stunned.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #68: Oct 20, 2009 10:22:03 pm
      4 in a row is bad.  I'm trying to stay somewhat level headed about this season, but its just bad.

Its not like their is one glaring issue. It seems to be a combination of mistakes,bad luck, loss of will, horrible play, no depth etc..

I'm just shocked and really agonizing over this season.  Such high hopes in July/August and now just fighting for our lives in the League and CL.

Quick Reply