Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General transfer discussion - January 2010

Read 86870 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: So who are we going to bring in January to solve the squad problem?
      Reply #23: Oct 22, 2009 12:00:54 am
      F**k, you making me more depressed! If we couldn't afford VDV, then that shows how low the funds are we received in summer, Real were trying to flog him to anyone, think 8mill was the figure, and we couldn't manager that?

It made me very depressed hearing that too.
       What made me almost suicidal was the fact we could dont even come up with 2.5mill for a player with proven Pemier League quality-Niko Kranjcar.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #24: Oct 22, 2009 12:03:32 am
      It made me very depressed hearing that too.
       What made me almost suicidal was the fact we could dont even come up with 2.5mill for a player with proven Pemier League quality-Niko Kranjcar.
      Agreed on NK, jesus when I saw that deal, all I could say was 'WHY?' Top quality player, who can cover all the midfield positions, behind the striker and if need be up top. And we couldn't get him for that price?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #25: Oct 22, 2009 12:11:43 am
      I reckon it was more to do with us wanting the full money for Alonso, otherwise I'm sure Rafa would have tried to make him part of the deal.

Well if that was the case then we got the short end of the straw then.

I would have rather taken 20 mil plus VDV rather then allow the owners to pump the surplus 14mill into interest repayments.

Well played Purslow.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #26: Oct 22, 2009 12:14:02 am
      Well if that was the case then we got the short end of the straw then.

I would have rather taken 20 mil plus VDV rather then allow the owners to pump the surplus 14mill into interest repayments.

Well played Purslow.

To be honest I think if that had been the deal Aquilani would not have been bought, as they'd have just took a large percentage of the 20 million and Rafa would have still been shackled in the market. Thats why I think Rafa held out for what he wanted as he knew that was the only way he'd get his first choice transfer target.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #27: Oct 22, 2009 12:15:03 am
      Its always going to be a lose-lose situation for us isnt it?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Oct 22, 2009 12:16:06 am
      Its always going to be a lose-lose situation for us isnt it?

Sure is mate, unless we can some wealthy Arab owner in.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #29: Oct 22, 2009 12:19:34 am
      I've said it once and I'll say it again

It's been said/reported were receiving 12 million in January to strengthen the squad

Flog Dossena for 4 million

Flog Voronin for 4 million

Flog Riera for  10 million

That gives Rafa 30 million to play with sign David Silva for 25 million for two reasons he's Quality and he wont be cup tied for the second phase of the Champions league if we qualify.

That leaves Rafa 5 million to bring a veteran striker in who can get us through to the following summer to cover for Torres if injured needs resting etc.

Now before you all start screaming about depth realistically how much game time is Voronin or Dossena going to get ?, Riera has been blowing hot and cold since he joined and your upgrading him with sheer quality strengthening our starting XI and bringing in an experienced striker who can not do any worse than Voronin as that can not be possible can it ?

Like your thinking mate but I think your selling prices are a bit optimistic imo.

More like!

Dossena 2 - 3 mil

Vronin   1.5 mil

Reira     5 mil.

Do agree that they should be sold off though.

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009 07:39:13 am by CRK »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Oct 22, 2009 12:23:30 am
      Like your thinking mate but I think your selling prices are a bit optimistic imo.

Players are always that little bit more pricey in the January window, Obviously its all theoretical as there would have to be interested parties in the afore mentioned players but f**k it if we had to make up a little bit more money to fund our targets throw Babel into the mix too.

promote some of the younger players to cover any shortages we may encounter Kelly proved last night sometimes its worth taking a gamble to see what they are made of.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #31: Oct 22, 2009 12:28:55 am
      Yep Kranjcar was an out and out bargain, god knows why Rafa didn't react
      My perfect January :
      Sell Dossena for 4 million

Voronin for 4 million

Riera for  10 million

Maybe Babel for 6 million

that gives at least 30 million with a possibility of it going up
      Bring in Silva, VDV on loan (with an option to buy for when the yanks f*ck off) and 10 million on a forward :) - C.Cole? Henry? Nistellrooy? Llorente? Granero of madrid?

Or even :
      Do the same sales
      30 million....
      Bring in Krasic for 10-15 million
      then Lavezzi for up to 20 maybe
      Then whatever we have left use to try and prize away M.Richards from City
      + VDV on loan

Scenario 1 :
      Reina
      Johnson
      Carra
      Agger/Skrt
      Insua/Aurelio

Masch
      Gerrard

Benayoun/Kuyt
      Aquillani
      Silva

Torres

Subs : VDV - C.Cole? Henry? Nistellrooy? Llorente? Granero? - Kuyt? Benayoun - Skrt? Agger - Aurelio? Insua - Lucas - Cavalieri

Scenario 2 :
      Reina

Johnson/Richards
      Carra/Richards.Skrt/Agger
      Skrt/Agger/Richards
      Aurelio/Insua

Krasic
      Masch
      Gerrard
      Benayoun

Lavezzi
      Torres

Subs : VDV, Johnson/Richards, Skrt/Agger/Carra, Cavalieri, N'Gog, Aquillani, Kuyt

Exeptional options if Rafa actually has a masterplan this window
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #32: Oct 22, 2009 12:48:58 am
      Thierry Henry IMO. Barca want Robinho and if they get him then it wont be Ibra or Messi that makes way meaning Henry will be on the bench and can't see him being happy with that.

He has declared that we are one of his favoured clubs and we have no other striker with a world class pedigree so be it a change of formation and 2 up front or he is just used as back up, either way I reckon he would be a worthwile signing. We wont get many season out of him but he still has his pace and all his ability that he had at Arsenal, given his age and experience he could work wonders with the likes of Nemeth and Pacheco.

He could also have a massive impact on Torres because the whole of the other teams defence wouldn't be targeting just him.

Would also be able to get him pretty cheap I reckon.
      I believe Henry said he's never play against Arsenal.

On topic, I think we need better squad players for now, and only after we have a good squad we can talk about improving certain areas.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Oct 22, 2009 12:56:46 am
      It is interesting that people mention Van Der Vaart.

That night I met the Dutch squad I briefly chatted to Rafael told him I was a big fan of his and his style of football, when I said that I wished he signed this summer for Liverpool  his response was "It wasn't up to me".

Make of that what you want, but yet again I will interpret it as that we were skint and couldnt table a decent offer.

12mil would get him wouldn't it if we do have that amount still in January? Would take anyone at the moment!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Oct 22, 2009 07:22:10 am
      Would so love to agree with DLS...in years past, before all the pressure of debt and having to alwaya come in the top 4 and progress deep into the CL then yes you could make wholesale changes and go with the youth. When fergie did it the cash was no where near as big as now and he had a squad to somewhat back it up. Now? Maybe the pressure is too great. If we were financially secure I would love to see all the kids having ago and establishing a new and proper foundation.
      As foe getting 30mill for vero, doss and riera? No god damn way...more like 8 mill in total.
      Too many players enjoying a great wage rather than striving for the honour of wearing the shirt
      TheRedsFan
      • Forum David Johnson

• 219 posts |
      • Nunca Caminaras Solo...Te Amo Liverpool
      Reply #35: Oct 22, 2009 07:30:10 am
      What about David Villa?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Oct 22, 2009 07:35:51 am

You got 40-50 million to donate to the cause? Because tweedle sh*t and tweedle F**k certainly don't.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #37: Oct 22, 2009 07:45:50 am
      Villa? Please think about our system and our finances before asking santa for an answer!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Oct 22, 2009 07:51:56 am
      Villa? Please think about our system and our finances before asking santa for an answer!

Don't think anyone is asking Roque Santa Cruz for any answers.

;)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #39: Oct 22, 2009 07:54:53 am
      Actually, santa cruz would be great when fit and after xmas he will have a lot of spare time!
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #40: Oct 22, 2009 08:35:39 am
      Being realistic, i.e. taking finances into account etc, we are not going to get Villa or any other big name signing like that.

If it were me, i would like to see someone like Michael Johnson from City, he can fill in in the midfield where Lucas plays and personally although Lucas has been playing better i think Johnson would be a lot more attacking and adventurous, plus he's still young. As well as this another class striker is needed - to be named at a later date.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #41: Oct 22, 2009 08:38:14 am
      He also hasn't played in about 15 months and looks pretty fat, though better than lucas non the less!
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #42: Oct 22, 2009 08:51:20 am
      Yep Kranjcar was an out and out bargain, god knows why Rafa didn't react
      My perfect January :
      Sell Dossena for 4 million

Voronin for 4 million

Riera for  10 million

Maybe Babel for 6 million

that gives at least 30 million with a possibility of it going up
      Bring in Silva, VDV on loan (with an option to buy for when the yanks f*ck off) and 10 million on a forward :) - C.Cole? Henry? Nistellrooy? Llorente? Granero of madrid?

Or even :
      Do the same sales
      30 million....
      Bring in Krasic for 10-15 million
      then Lavezzi for up to 20 maybe
      Then whatever we have left use to try and prize away M.Richards from City
      + VDV on loan

Scenario 1 :
      Reina
      Johnson
      Carra
      Agger/Skrt
      Insua/Aurelio

Masch
      Gerrard

Benayoun/Kuyt
      Aquillani
      Silva

Torres

Subs : VDV - C.Cole? Henry? Nistellrooy? Llorente? Granero? - Kuyt? Benayoun - Skrt? Agger - Aurelio? Insua - Lucas - Cavalieri

Scenario 2 :
      Reina

Johnson/Richards
      Carra/Richards.Skrt/Agger
      Skrt/Agger/Richards
      Aurelio/Insua

Krasic
      Masch
      Gerrard
      Benayoun

Lavezzi
      Torres

Subs : VDV, Johnson/Richards, Skrt/Agger/Carra, Cavalieri, N'Gog, Aquillani, Kuyt

Exeptional options if Rafa actually has a masterplan this window

Mate, I think that you're getting a bit carried away here. Silva, Cole, Lavezzi, Llorente?! We've got no hope in hell of getting any of these players until the Yank cu*ts F**k off.
      I can see your point about Van Nistelrooy and Henry as they would be fairly cheap, IMO we should be looking at bringing in a couple of players like them.

Also another point, please tell me why the fook Rafa would pay 20million for Aquilani and then leave him on the bench to make way for Krasic ( As shown in your 'Scenario 2')?!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Oct 22, 2009 09:09:09 am
      Michael Johnson?! The fat tw*t will be lying on the pitch with an overdose.

jonty, mate. I'd rather save money from Lavezzi to bring Nemeth back. 8 goals in his first season is hardly setting the world alight, with Lavezzi.
      passenger815
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #44: Oct 22, 2009 09:30:04 am
      Dunno if anyone seen the Madrid game last night but Drenthe played instead of Van der Vaart. There must be some chance of getting him at a reasonable price. He is exactly the type of player we need.

Also, I know £12mil has been quoted from a few sources but if reports about our finances from this weekend are to be believed then we may be lucky to even spend that on new players.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #45: Oct 22, 2009 10:16:14 am
      Sorry Red Michael, there's no point in even thinking about what players we'd like to see brought to the club because those two yanky fuckwits we have running things won't give Rafa F**k all.
      Better still, I wouldn't be too surprised if they try to sell Stevie G or Nando.

cu*ts.

Quick Reply