Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Yanks Out Protest Anfield Security Stepped Up For Sunday Match

Read 6719 times
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 357 posts |
      Yanks Out Protest Anfield Security Stepped Up For Sunday Match
      Oct 23, 2009 03:53:52 pm
      "Security will be heightened at Anfield on Sunday as fans plan a march to protest against George Gillett and Tom Hicks' ownership of the club.

The American pair, who have come under pressure from fans' groups angry at the debt and direction of Liverpool, are expected to attend the Premier League clash with Manchester United.

The club are not prepared to discuss their plans to protect Hicks and Gillett, but last season a similar march ahead of the same fixture saw extra police and security staff around the stadium.

The Spirit of Shankly fans group hope for a 10,000-strong march to the stadium.

Gillett attended Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Lyon, where a large banner on the Kop claimed that fans had been lied to by the owners. Gillett also watched Alberto Aquilani make his club debut in the reserves at Tranmere the following night.

It is believed there are plans for thousands of placards to be waved at the Americans if they sit in their usual front-row seats of the directors' box.

Les Lawson, spokesman for the Liverpool Supporters Club, who is a member of the Spirit of Shankly grouping, said: "There have been protests before, but the Americans do have elephant-thick skin.

"But there is no point in sitting back and doing nothing. This will be a direct action to keep the campaign in the public eye.

"There are plenty of other things going on behind the scenes to keep the campaign going, though. The fans have to do something to show their anger at the way Liverpool is being run."

Spirit of Shankly spokesman Paul Gardner said: "There are two culprits (for the way the club is being run) - Gillett and Hicks.

"They are the ones who put us into £245million of debt, promised us a new stadium that has not been built, took money out of the club to pay for their own expenses. We want the owners out now."

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/10262886/Reds-to-step-up-Anfield-security

10,000 fans strong at a march would be brilliant :)  Anybody on here going?
      Mr L.Garcia
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Re: Yanks Out Protest Anfield Security Stepped Up For Sunday Match
      Reply #1: Oct 23, 2009 04:03:24 pm
      This is what the BBC have to say about it. I'm hoping to be a part of it.

Security will be heightened at Anfield on Sunday as fans plan a march to protest against George Gillett and Tom Hicks' ownership of the club.

The Spirit of Shankly group hope thousands of fans will turn out ahead of the match against Manchester United.

"There is a lot of anger and people want their feelings known - Hicks and Gillett are not welcome at the club," spokesman James McKenna told BBC Sport.

"We hope a couple of thousand fans will turn out for the protest."

The march will start outside the Liverpool Supporters' Club on Lower Breck Road and will finish outside the Kop stand.

The Spirit of Shankly group believes about 4,000 fans turned out for a similar protest in September 2008, before Liverpool beat Manchester United 2-1 at Anfield.

The group is angry about the level of debt that the club has taken on since Hicks and Gillett took over in March 2007, while the team's on-field fortunes have also taken a slide in recent weeks.

The American duo are expected to attend Sunday's match against the league leaders, in which Liverpool will attempt to halt a run of four straight defeats.

Liverpool are eighth in the Premier League table, with four defeats in their nine games so far, while they are also facing an uphill battle to qualify from their group in the Champions League.

Injuries to key duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have weakened Liverpool's hopes of ending their long wait for a domestic title.

Gillett attended Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Lyon, where a large banner on the Kop claimed fans had been lied to by the owners.

Hicks and Gillett have admitted they are keen to attract new investment to the club, with a key aide of Saudi Arabian Prince Faisal telling BBC Sport that a bid for a large stake in the club is a possibility.

Gillett also watched Italian midfielder Alberto Aquilani - a £20m purchase during the summer who has been battling to recover from an ankle injury - make his club debut for the reserves at Tranmere the following night.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2: Oct 23, 2009 04:04:14 pm

Im going.

YANKS OUT
      bmorelfc
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 23, 2009 04:05:29 pm
      As a YANK i am offend by our owners! but can we call them something other than Yanks...how about crooks?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #4: Oct 23, 2009 04:06:58 pm
      As a YANK I am offend by our owners! but can we call them something other than Yanks...how about crooks?

No. YANKS OUT.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Oct 23, 2009 06:46:59 pm
      As a YANK I am offend by our owners! but can we call them something other than Yanks...how about crooks?

Lying c*nts? No we've already got that one.

I'm going.
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #6: Oct 24, 2009 12:06:55 am
      Anyone know the start time and route etc, cause
      I'm going
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Oct 24, 2009 02:45:08 am
      Anyone know the start time and route etc, cause
      I'm going

Read this thread mate.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=24172.0
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #8: Oct 24, 2009 03:43:11 pm
      Whoever is going to the match bring yanks out banners,flags the more we have the more publicity the campaign will recieve,imagine if we had  20,000 yanks out banners,beamed to millions of viewers worldwide,for the duration of the game get behind the team Rafa chants, etc,but the minute before half time Yanks out chants

The purpose in not waiting untill half time is so the whole world can hear our hatred for those lying cu*ts i would give my left arm to go to the march so i cant understand why only 10,000 will be attending,thats not even 1/4 0f anfield,there are plenty of scousers who complain about not being able to get match tickets,well IMO this is just as important as any match,we cant start rebuilding until these leeches are out of our club.

So come sunday get out and support your club and show to the world why we are the greatest club in the world,F**k sitting on the wall taking videos i guarantee you there will be plenty of videos up on youtube within an hour,our job is to get as many fans in the march,so whether you are attending the match or not join in the march

TBH i thought there would be 40,000 minimum,and to thosse who work in the stalls selling scarves etc,a couple of Yanks out banners woul sell very well,the more we can get in to anfield the better,and anyone that wants to provide info for daytrippers to sing up,and create an atmosphere like we hear on champions league matchs

I am comletely psched for this march even though i wont be attending C'mon show the world why we have the best fans in the word

YANKS out-FANS in

YNWA
      IRWT

RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #9: Oct 25, 2009 12:12:22 am
      CRK wev'e got too many wannabees on this thread,so for you all,thanks but back off this is a real situation,we need troops on the ground,not well wishers on the internet.
      hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 25, 2009 12:31:45 pm
      CRK wev'e got too many wannabees on this thread,so for you all,thanks but back off this is a real situation,we need troops on the ground,not well wishers on the internet.

Whilst I agree with getting rid of them, except that one thing occurs to me any prospective buyer sees this protest and decides sh*t do I need to buy into this fanbased aggro if I make a mistake!

Doesn't mean I do not agree with getting rid of them, just this though well meaning will not do it, only pressure from the banks will make them sell.

Thanks for the edit oops!
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009 08:27:29 pm by CRK »
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #11: Oct 25, 2009 06:28:43 pm
      A few pics from the protest, lets hope it gets the message across to the c*cks, a good turnout so well done to everyone who took part.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #12: Oct 25, 2009 06:33:01 pm
      Good pics hope they start to wake up and f'ck off.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #13: Oct 25, 2009 11:48:52 pm
      Whilst I agree with getting rid of them, except that one thing occurs to me any prospective buyer sees this protest and decides sh*t do I need to buy into this fanbased aggro if I make a mistake!

Doesn't mean I do not agree with getting rid of them, just this though well meaning will not do it, only pressure from the banks will make them sell.

Thanks for the edit oops!

Any prospective buyer needs to understand that the fans will support any owner that is prepared to take the club forward.Anyone coming in as asset strippers like the current gobsh*tes will be hounded by the fans.The banks you refer to (RBS), have already admitted that they baulked at calling in the loan this summer for fear of the consequences of putting a world brand name into administration, and the consequences there of.What they failed to realise is that by pressurising the owners to reduce the debt,the gobshites have turned us into a "selling club".This means each transfer window, Rafa will be expected to sell assets in order to buy new ones, and this is against a backdrop of the owners having to reduce the debt they burdened the club with.Now I might be wrong,but in my mind this means selling your'e top assets for megabucks and trying to find cheaper alternatives to replace them with.Sound familiar?One season without a good CL campaign and we're f*cked believe me.This will happen,then the owners will bail out leaving us in the sh*t.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009 08:27:00 pm by CRK »
      hold 51
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 26, 2009 11:22:19 am
      You cannot have it both ways would you trade a year in the CL for getting rid of G&H, every Liverpool supporter feels angry about these two,I simply believe that the demo yesterday although a good show of solidarity, it will change nothing, it will be only financial Pressure that will remove them!
      Hicks is hated at two other sporting franchises so he is used to the abuse and has the hide of a rhino and Gillett has the sly evil look like the lying snake in the grass he is!
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2009 03:03:50 pm by Venison 86 »
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #15: Oct 26, 2009 09:49:17 pm
      You cannot have it both ways would you trade a year in the CL for getting rid of G&H, every Liverpool supporter feels angry about these two,I simply believe that the demo yesterday although a good show of solidarity, it will change nothing, it will be only financial Pressure that will remove them!
      Hicks is hated at two other sporting franchises so he is used to the abuse and has the hide of a rhino and Gillett has the sly evil look like the lying snake in the grass he is!
      Yes I personally would trade a year in the CL to rid our club of these two.The reason is, if they stay, the consequences for the club would be far worse.The marches are not just a show of solidarity(those of us who have been around a while,Know how Liverpool fans react in difficult times).Much more than that,the marches epitomise the values of SOS and demonstrate to the world our determination not to give in until the prime objective is achieved.
      Mr Wiggles
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #16: Oct 28, 2009 03:18:03 pm
      Great march was there with my son at the weekend,very well orgainised and really got the blood flowing for the match !

Quick Reply