Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

RIP Stuart Cable

Read 2053 times
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      RIP Stuart Cable
      Jun 07, 2010 05:49:44 pm
      Ex-Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable dies aged 40

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable has been found dead at his home in south Wales.

Emergency services attended the house at Llwydcoed near Aberdare, Cynon Valley, at 0530 BST on Monday.

South Wales Police said they were not speculating on the cause of death but there were no suspicious circumstances.

Cable, who left the Stereophonics in 2003, had hosted his rock show on BBC Radio Wales on Saturday.

South Wales Police confirmed they were investigating the sudden death of a 40-year-old man at an address in Llwydcoed.

A post mortem examination is due to be carried out later this week.

Floral tributes have been left outside his home.

It is understood Cable had been drinking at a local pub, where his car was left overnight, had had some friends over at his house on Sunday night.

It is also believed a number of bottles of alcohol were removed from the property by investigators.

His death comes just two days after Cable's former band Stereophonics played at Cardiff City Stadium.

Stereophonics lead singer Kelly Jones, back home for a family funeral, told BBC Wales they had only been speaking in the past few days and he could not believe what had happened.

The band were formed in Cwmaman near Aberdare in 1992 by school friends Kelly and Richard Jones along with Cable, who was four years older.

He was always such generous company and will be missed terribly
      Cerys Matthews
      Ex-Catatonia, singer

A star who stayed close to home
      Tributes to 'well loved' drummer
      In Pictures: Drummer Stuart Cable
      Within five years they were rising stars, supporting bands such as the Rolling Stones and U2.

Cable, who said he was planning to leave the band before he was sacked in September 2003, said he had no regrets.

He later formed a new group called Killing for Company, who were due to play at the Download festival Donington Park on Saturday.

The band's new album is due for release to coincide with it.

A simple tribute message on their website says "you will be missed".

Among other tributes from the music and entertainment industries, Mike Peters, lead singer with The Alarm, said Cable's band had only recently played with them and his death was a "real shock" and a "real tragedy".

Police guarding Stuart Cable's house in Aberdare
      His mother Mabel, 79, told Wales Online she had worried when he travelled all over the world.

"He is now settled down and then this has happens," she said. "It has not sunk in yet."

His manager John Brand said Cable had been looking forward to his performance at Download, and "really excited about drumming his way back to the top".

He said: "He will be remembered for his big heart and booming voice, his bonhomie and his compassion for those less fortunate than himself.

"I will always remember him as a loyal friend. Someone I shared many of the best and often the funniest times in my life."

Cable's autobiography, Demons and Cocktails, was released in 2009.

Stuart Cable left Sterephonics in 2003
      The autobiography shed light on tensions which eventually led to the drummer's departure.

Cable revealed the split was mainly sparked off by Kelly Jones' desire to produce the band's third album.

There were also said to be tensions in the band about Cable's burgeoning career as a presenter.

Cable hosted his own TV show, Cable TV, and radio show, Cable Rock, for BBC Wales.

He has also been involved in a variety of other projects.

In March 2002, he took part in a BBC Wales social action campaign urging young men to look out for the warning signs of testicular cancer.

In autumn 2007 Cable quit the BBC to launch a Cardiff-based branch of rock station XFM, which closed after six months on air.

Caroline Evans looks at Stuart Cable's career, and reports from the scene
      He was also a presenter for the Birmingham-based commercial radio station Kerrang!

But he returned back at BBC Radio Wales with his Saturday rock show in April.

'Extraordinary man'
      BBC Radio Wales producer and friend of Cable, Darren Broome - who worked with Cable on his final show on Saturday - said: "He was a warm-hearted person who loved Aberdare and the Cynon valley and chose to live there.

"He was a huge personality. I feel very numb. He was so passionate about music."

Mr Broome said the musician was "a scream" to work with.

"It was the best two hours, playing good music in the company of Stuart Cable," he said.

"He was a total, total music fan and inspiration to performers and so proud of his home town. A diamond geezer, a top dude."

Steve Austins, editor of Radio Wales said: "We are all profoundly shocked and saddened at the news of Stuart's death. He was an extraordinary man.

"He was well loved by both colleagues and listeners and he will be deeply missed. Our heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends at this difficult time."

Tributes were being emailed by fans and musicians alike to BBC Wales

One fan, Ian Gravell, said: "I met Stuart with my son (a keen drummer at the time) after watching Scarlets at Stradey a few years ago. Despite him being with friends, Stuart took the time to chat to my son about his drumming and what he should do to improve. This is a tragic event for Wales."

Fans can leave a tribute by emailing wales.music@bbc.co.uk.

Terrible news that. RIP.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: RIP Stuart Cable
      Reply #1: Jun 07, 2010 05:52:51 pm
      RIP Stuart.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Jun 07, 2010 06:01:35 pm
      No f**king way. R.I.P Stuart. One of my favourite bands of the 90s. Never listened to Stereophonics since he left really
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #3: Jun 07, 2010 06:13:12 pm
      RIP Stuart!

One of my favourite bands of all time! Could listen to there music all day everyday!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Jun 07, 2010 08:32:57 pm
      R.I.P. Stuart, you will be missed not only in Wales, but the world, my sincere condolances to your family and friends. A true gentleman.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #5: Jun 07, 2010 08:56:26 pm
       RIP Stuart    such tragic news,
      xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #6: Jun 07, 2010 11:54:57 pm
      RIP Stuart.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jun 07, 2010 11:58:31 pm
      YNWA Stuart!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Jun 08, 2010 02:33:48 am
      RIP Stuart. You'll be missed.

Stereophonics are one of my favourite bands too =/
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #9: Jun 09, 2010 08:04:15 pm
      Sad news indeed, didn't know him personally but I know a few people who did.

Everyone just has good things to say about him, kept his feet firmly on the ground and never let success get the better of him, was living in the same area and drank in the same pubs he did as a lad which says it all for me.

Very sad.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #10: Jun 10, 2010 12:24:55 pm
      I will never forgive him for slagging off Santanta.  BUT, not nice to see another musician die so young.

One of his best friends was on TV the other day saying that he had a long and well published affair with drugs.  :O(
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Jun 11, 2010 03:50:20 pm
      So sad to hear this. :( I have loved the Stereophonics since I first heard them and it's awful to think he has gone.

He was a fantastic drummer, it has to be said. 

RIP Stuart. You will be missed mate. :(

Quick Reply