Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool and the Anfield atmosphere.

Read 11068 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Liverpool and the Anfield atmosphere.
      Oct 27, 2009 09:26:19 pm
      Not sure if I should put it here but I just want those who haven't gone down to Anfield for a game, should do so! And that includes me. Just want to share this with everyone. Look at what we're missing out!

European night at Anfield

I love the bit when they start singing 'Fields of Anfield Road'. The whole Kop stand starts clapping. Ah, just lovely!
      « Last Edit: Nov 08, 2009 06:12:51 pm by Adryan »
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Re: Liverpool and the Anfield atmosphere.
      Reply #1: Oct 27, 2009 09:49:42 pm
      Out of interest..how many people on here have never been to a game?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2: Oct 27, 2009 09:51:08 pm
      Me.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #3: Oct 27, 2009 09:51:30 pm
      Going to my first Liverpool game tomorrow at the emirates.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #4: Oct 27, 2009 09:53:56 pm
      Well, I've been to Anfield. I've been to seen them live.... in Singapore.

Just not ... them live in Anfield! ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #5: Oct 27, 2009 09:54:40 pm
      Going to my first Liverpool game tomorrow at the emirates.

Enjoy the experience mate! Emirates is a boss stadium!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #6: Oct 27, 2009 09:55:18 pm
      Hope its everything you hope vtorres....and we win of course  ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      Reply #7: Oct 27, 2009 10:02:52 pm
      I have to sit in the arsenal sector any tips how not to get beaten up :P
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #8: Oct 27, 2009 10:06:54 pm
      Its tricky! I've done it a few times in the past (away at leicester when fowler scored hat trick) was bit dodgy.

Stay off the beer and dont wear any colours  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Oct 27, 2009 10:07:48 pm
      The atmosphere at Anfield can be something so immense, you're so overcome with emotion, lost for words, forget every single thing that's ever troubled you in your life and you feel like you're gonna explode. It's a feeling of togetherness that most people will never experience in their lives, ever.

But, it can also be sh*te. And there's already a thread about the possible reasons why. So I won't go into that.

The only thing I would say about this thread is, if you go to Anfield, don't go for the experience.

Make the experience.

Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Oct 27, 2009 10:09:28 pm
      I have to sit in the arsenal sector any tips how not to get beaten up :P

Hold your celebrations till after we're up 5 or 6 when they'll be heading home and you'll be alone and safe ;)
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #11: Oct 27, 2009 10:12:35 pm
      me i've been
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #12: Oct 27, 2009 10:20:23 pm
      The atmosphere at Anfield can be something so immense, you're so overcome with emotion, lost for words, forget every single thing that's ever troubled you in your life and you feel like you're gonna explode. It's a feeling of togetherness that most people will never experience in their lives, ever.

Super description there RK. And Sunday fitted perfectly into that. It was one of those great Anfield occassions. From the beach balls at kick off, to the delight of Torres smashing one home and ending with the relief and euphoria as Ngog slotted home it was perfect.

Usually it needs something from the players to get the crowd going but it was the opposite on Sunday. The fans brought out that fight in our lads and we came away with three crucial points.

Anfield's a special place, and when you get those special atmospheres you just know that you'll end up with a special result.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Oct 27, 2009 10:20:36 pm
      As Kenny said, it can be dire in the ground at times. It's not just smaller sides. I went to an Arsenal match on a Sunday a few seasons ago and people just didn't seem interested. Even Chelsea, when Pennant scored that cracker from distance. I remember them both being very dull, atmosphere wise. I've been to plenty of matches against the fodder, like Wigan, Bolton, etc, and the atmosphere was terrific.

On the other hand, I was at the match on Sunday which was obviously bouncing. And the majority of European nights such as Inter, the Chelsea semis and the Arsenal quarter. At the sime time, the atmosphere at the match where we were beat at home by Marsielle was dire from the off and the result ended up being worse.

I really can't add to what Kenny said. Don't go to Anfield to witness the atmosphere and take it all in. Regardless of where you are sitting, be a part of it. As nice as that video at the start of the thread is, I'm sure he weren't singing much whilst filming it. In fact, I could imagine him just watching the Kop the whole game rather than the match. That, in my opinion, is a waste of a seat.
      lfc232005
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 27, 2009 10:21:41 pm
      Redkenny is spot on, thats exactly how i felt on sunday when torres scored, just exploded with excitement and passion!!  Amazing feeling!!

Hope the atmosphere tomorrow night is decent!!  COME ON RED MEN!!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #15: Oct 28, 2009 12:01:57 am
      That's what impresses me.

There's a great special bond between the fans and the club, and that's something I'm really proud to be proud off.
      That's why I think we have the best fans in the world. Nothing sounds like Anfield on a European night.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #16: Oct 28, 2009 12:15:33 am
      Mates Iv'e been a season ticket holder since 1965.In those days we were resented because of our city's musical dominance.Then in the 1970's and 80's, we were resented because of our football dominance.What outsiders fail to understand, is that as a club, we are really controlled by the fans, the manager, the players and then the owners,in that order.This is not a boasting statement, it's just the way it's done at LFC.Bill Shankly was the first manager to realise this, and all the successful managers since (including Rafa) have done the same.In football, it's a well known fact, that at all prominent clubs, it's the fans that get the manager sacked, not the owners.So we are sound, a few pounds by some progressive owner,coupled with Rafa's dealing skills will result in the inevitable return to success.IRWT.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #17: Oct 28, 2009 02:02:08 am
      If you wanna make sure of a great Liverpool atmosphere, then go to an away game. It's certain our fans will be in full voice on their travels, but at home there's a good chance the ground will be like a morgue.

But if you're lucky enough to get to a home match where all the fans are belting out their support, then there is no better feeling. Anfield in full voice is like nothing else in the world, it really does make you swell with pride. You know you're part of something special, even more so when you're contributing to the atmosphere yourself. (something I'd like to be doing on a regular basis, like I was a few years back)
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #18: Oct 28, 2009 02:20:18 am
      I live in the States so getting to Anfield is not exactly easy, but last May I went to England with a buddy of mine and I dragged his Gooner arse up to Liverpool and went to Anfield. I wore my kit and scarf on the bus and probably looked like total nut wearing everything I was in, in 80 degree weather, but it was emotional even to not go to a game. I got a chance to take some pictures and see the museum but due to time constraints I couldn't go on the tour. But for those who have been in the museum but never a game, just the history and the images of the club I live and die for every weekend was breathe taking. I can not even imagine standing on the Kop and singing my brains out because it seems unreal that I have been to Anfield to begin with.
      I did get to see the Emirates and if the Gooner fans could get me excited (Their chants and songs are rubbish by the way...), I could not even imagine how emotional a visit to the Kop would be.
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 28, 2009 02:50:11 am
      Although I am an aussie, I have benn fortunate enough to get to anfield six times:

1. Liverpool v Watford PL - We got beat that day but it really didnt matter. I floated from walking through the gates until Sunday morning. A night out in Liverpool afterwards helped that but I had never experienced anything like that before. The noise made the hair on my arms stand on end.
      2. Liverpool v Arsenal PL -  What a great game this was. Awesome atmosphere, we won 2-0 or 3-0. Robbie Fowler scored a screamer as he slipped over when he shot. Westerveld saved a penalty in injury time and the place went beserk.
      3. Liverpool v Dynamo Kiev CLQ - I know we won this game but dont remember too much else.
      4. Liverpool v Spurs PL -  We won that day and was a great experience as I was sat right next to the spurs supporters who were living it large until we scored.
      5. Liverpool v Chelsea PL - I was in the kop end for Nando's first goal at Anfield. We was robbed by a poor penalty decision but it was great to be there to see Nando grab the first of many.
      6. Liverpool v Tolouse CLQ -  I think we won by 3 or 4 goals. Looked like being one of those nights in the first half - we dominated but couldnt score. Wary at half time that Tolouse could nick one and do us over. Second half we took the chances and saw a heap of goals scored in front of us at the kop end.

The games may be out of order and the memories a little faded but the hair still stands on my arms when i hear  You'll Never Walk Alone.
      Been to Rugby League Grand Finals, Rugby Union Internionals and even the Olympic Football Final, nothing comes close to Anfield.

YNWA

JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #20: Oct 28, 2009 04:09:55 am
      I am 17, turning 18 next month. I live in Australia, but it is my dream to one day stand amongst the Kopites and sing the famous song. In a few years once I have saved up enough money I will go.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #21: Oct 28, 2009 09:10:48 am
      I am 17, turning 18 next month. I live in Australia, but it is my dream to one day stand amongst the Kopites and sing the famous song. In a few years once I have saved up enough money I will go.

And do you know what Joey?.......... you will be welcomed with open arms mate.........
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #22: Oct 28, 2009 09:15:41 am
      I'm an hour away from Liverpool, so I should definitely get my ar*e there for a game. I'm hoping to go with a friend, though! ;D

Quick Reply