Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Liverpool and the Anfield atmosphere.

Read 11123 times
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Re: Liverpool and the Anfield atmosphere.
      Reply #23: Oct 28, 2009 09:29:37 am
      Although I am an aussie, I have benn fortunate enough to get to anfield six times:

1. Liverpool v Watford PL - We got beat that day but it really didnt matter. I floated from walking through the gates until Sunday morning. A night out in Liverpool afterwards helped that but I had never experienced anything like that before. The noise made the hair on my arms stand on end.
      2. Liverpool v Arsenal PL -  What a great game this was. Awesome atmosphere, we won 2-0 or 3-0. Robbie Fowler scored a screamer as he slipped over when he shot. Westerveld saved a penalty in injury time and the place went beserk.
      3. Liverpool v Dynamo Kiev CLQ - I know we won this game but dont remember too much else.
      4. Liverpool v Spurs PL -  We won that day and was a great experience as I was sat right next to the spurs supporters who were living it large until we scored.
      5. Liverpool v Chelsea PL - I was in the kop end for Nando's first goal at Anfield. We was robbed by a poor penalty decision but it was great to be there to see Nando grab the first of many.
      6. Liverpool v Tolouse CLQ -  I think we won by 3 or 4 goals. Looked like being one of those nights in the first half - we dominated but couldnt score. Wary at half time that Tolouse could nick one and do us over. Second half we took the chances and saw a heap of goals scored in front of us at the kop end.

The games may be out of order and the memories a little faded but the hair still stands on my arms when I hear  You'll Never Walk Alone.
      Been to Rugby League Grand Finals, Rugby Union Internionals and even the Olympic Football Final, nothing comes close to Anfield.

YNWA

Dave, was that the game were we lost 1-0 and the rain was chucking it down all day? If so, i also went to that game, absolute nightmare of a day haha. The worst Liverpool game i've ever been to that one!

I've been to a few away places before but none compare to Anfield when its at its best. It really is electric. Like many have said it can be quiet at times but against the top 3 or 4 sides, Everton, and in Europe, theres nothing like it.

Although this will sound daft, personally, I love it when LFC lose at Anfield but the reds have been unlucky and have give it 100%, then the fans respond and sing You'll Never Walk Alone at the end of the game, really makes me proud to be a red when that happens. Instead of all the booing other fans do with their clubs etc.
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #24: Oct 28, 2009 09:32:02 am
      By the way, when you sit in the away crowd just be careful because football fights do still go on, despite there being a heavy police presence.
      Don't know if anybody went to Wigan away two seasons ago, but there were 3 reds sat in one of the Wigan stands, but still reasonably close to the reds fans behind the goal, and when we scored they celebrated, then about 4 or 5 Wigan fans battered them. The reds behind the goal were going mental because of it, then the police intervened, did nothing to the Wigan fans, and threw the Reds fans out, which made our fans even worse. It carried on after the game so i was told but i didn't see any of it myself.

So yeah, don't be stupid and wear your LFC top for example, you'll be asking for trouble. Don't be suprised if the cockneys try and get the stewards to throw you out either.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #25: Oct 28, 2009 09:44:07 am
      That video annoys me a bit. Someone filming the crwod in voyeur-istic fashion is a waste of a seat for starters didnt even catch the goal. Just put your gadgets down and get involved.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #26: Oct 28, 2009 10:00:05 am
      Its tricky! I've done it a few times in the past (away at leicester when fowler scored hat trick) was bit dodgy.

Stay off the beer and dont wear any colours  ;)
      And obviously dont celebrate a goal when we score! Unfortunately i dont heed my own advice and got some very snidey [out of cctv] boots in the back at Newcastle a while ago!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #27: Oct 28, 2009 10:06:11 am
      I've never been to Anfield or Liverpool for that matter but I will get there one day even if it kills me.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #28: Oct 28, 2009 12:22:14 pm
      I've never been, I don't live in liverpool.
      GerryMac
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #29: Oct 28, 2009 01:06:05 pm
      I,ve been to a few games way back in the 80,s/90,s but recently have joined a supporters club and have been to 2 games last season,Man.City+Spurs.....
      Next month I,m bringing #2 son(9) for his first Anfield experience-he can,t wait..... ;D

Even brought the whole family over for the Tour in 2007.....and the wife is looking to go to a game,although a visit to Liverpool 1 would even everything up.. :lmao:

I try and get over as much as I can but air-fares+board are getting very expensive and I,m sure a lot of people are finding it hard,specially at this time of the year,with Christmas looming.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #30: Oct 28, 2009 01:48:22 pm
      Some people take their seat at Anfield for granted. I've never been there, but I do think they're definitely some tw*ts who'll be up there just for a chance to watch good football and not make the experience for themselves nor support the club.

Like I see on TV, some people seem more interested in whipping out their phones/cameras and take pictures of the players. If that means so much to you, then just turn on Sky HD, you could get better photo taking opportunities there.

What I like to see at Anfield is during those European nights, when everyone is out with full voice, waving flags, singing their hearts out. It's that togetherness that brings the people and the players together. There's nothing more like it at Anfield, especially when a result is needed, the fans will turn up and roar our Reds to victory, just like what happened on Sunday. It was probably one of the best atmospheres Anfield experienced.

I'm going to London and Paris next month, probably making the train trip to Liverpool to have a look round the city for a day, as well as go on tour and museum. Should be boss!! Well obviously, my dream is to be sitting on The Kop one day.

Many people get that opportunity every weekend, I'm just sad that they've lost that sort of 'buzz' when they go to Anfield. It's become more of a common thing for many of them, while many of us who are not locals, would do anything to get to the stadium.
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #31: Oct 28, 2009 02:15:00 pm
      I'm an hour away from Liverpool, so I should definitely get my ar*e there for a game. I'm hoping to go with a friend, though! ;D

Pick me! Pick me! ;)

Last year, I would have laughed if you told me that I'd get goosebumps watching a bunch of football fans singing in a stadium. Then I was introduced to the wonder club that is Liverpool. :) Never looked back, that's for sure. Going to a game at Anfield is part of my mental list of Things To Do.
      Mr Wiggles
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #32: Oct 28, 2009 03:37:05 pm
      Loved it sunday possibly one of the greatest days of my life might sound sad for all the people here that get to go week in week out it was only my third time over and my first 'big' game stood in the middle of the kop speechless for the first 5 minutes before YNWA didnt stop singing for the duration still hoarse :)
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #33: Oct 28, 2009 03:50:42 pm
      Loved it sunday possibly one of the greatest days of my life might sound sad for all the people here that get to go week in week out it was only my third time over and my first 'big' game stood in the middle of the kop speechless for the first 5 minutes before YNWA didnt stop singing for the duration still hoarse :)
      How did you manage to get to the Utd game if you've only been three times? ???
      I've been loads of times but couldn't get to this as I couldn't get to the Villa game, which was needed on my fancard.  :-\
      Mr Wiggles
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #34: Oct 28, 2009 03:59:40 pm
      I bought one of those packages that includes accomadation etc,and had hospitality seats front row in the centenary stand,traded them with some old couple from liverpool who wanted the extra comfort,but my god was it worth it !
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #35: Oct 28, 2009 04:21:03 pm
      I bought one of those packages that includes accomadation etc,and had hospitality seats front row in the centenary stand,traded them with some old couple from liverpool who wanted the extra comfort,but my god was it worth it !

Oh fair enough, I'm unbelievably jealous. :(
      Glad you had a great time anyway, and welcome to the forum. :)
      Mr Wiggles
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #36: Oct 28, 2009 04:23:44 pm
      Thanks,but look at it this way you've probably been to more games than i will ever get a chance to go to so im unbelievably jealous
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #37: Oct 28, 2009 06:24:43 pm
      I bought one of those packages that includes accommodation etc,and had hospitality seats front row in the centenary stand,traded them with some old couple from liverpool who wanted the extra comfort,but my god was it worth it !
      Maybe that's why we cant get tickets
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #38: Oct 28, 2009 06:27:42 pm
      I so wanted to be in the Kop on Sunday. I was at the Kop-end of the Main Stand and it was fairly boucning there. HATE SITTING DOWN! Seats in Anfield aren't designed for 6"2 people.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,905 posts | 6829 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #39: Oct 30, 2009 06:02:50 am
      I've been to Anfield. Went to the Wigan match where we beat them 3-2.

After the birth of my 2 children, it is the greatest highlight of my 37 year old life.

Can't wait to get back there one day.

P.S Top, top post Redkenny mate.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #40: Oct 30, 2009 06:13:04 am
      Been to Anfield, but not for a match unfortunately. My naive parents didn't deem it important enough when they planned a trip for my sister and wanted me to go as a chaperone, so to speak. I begged them that while we were there it would be a perfect opportunity but alas they didn't at the time seem to realize my passion. They do now i think, but to late.
      As Dmasta said though, I'll get there one day if it means the death of me. And i mean that. And i hope to see all you locals for a drink or 10!
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #41: Oct 30, 2009 06:14:22 am
      one word....WOW! That video looks amazing! Even though I live on the other side of the world, im am getting myself there no matter what!
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #42: Oct 30, 2009 07:54:17 am
      I've never been :-( I've always found it too hard to get tickets. It is a massive dream of mine to go
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #43: Oct 30, 2009 08:37:49 am
      Watching Liverpool play live would always be a great experience.

I went down to Singapore to catch them in pre-season and after seeing Man United and Chelsea in Malaysia, I'd have to say the Liverpool match was my favourite. I might be biased because I'm a Liverpool fan but I've seen them all but you'd have to believe me that at Singapore, there was an atmosphere like no other. It isn't Anfield, but the fans certainly made me and the team feel as though we're playing at Anfield.

They sang songs like YNWA,Poor Scouser Tommy, Fields of Anfield Road, the Torres bounce, Liverpool , Mascherano's song and even Who the f**k are Man United. I really had a great time at that game especially since we put 5 goals in.

On the other hand, all I heard in Malaysia were 'Glory, glory Man United' (pffft, it's the only song they knew!) and 'Chelsea, chelsea'.

Even when Liverpool score at the Kop End, you can hear the stadium roar and that's what makes me cry!

However, there will never be an atmosphere like Anfield on a European night.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #44: Oct 30, 2009 03:53:35 pm
      However, there will never be an atmosphere like Anfield on a European night.

Wrong, I think it will be topped should we ever win the league again!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #45: Oct 30, 2009 03:54:57 pm
      Wrong, I think it will be topped when we win the league in May.

Changed it for you. ;)

Quick Reply