Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Wolfmother

Read 3497 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Wolfmother
      Oct 29, 2009 02:35:01 am
      Love this band, my favorite by far. I always say my favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin, but these guys are most definitely right there with them.
      Just got their new album "Cosmic Egg" in the post from Amazon, deluxe 2 disc edition with 16 songs. Boss doesn't even describe it. Brilliant stuff. Their first is an absolute rock beast of an album, and this one is a F***ing brilliant follow up.
      Anyone who hasn't heard these guys, have a listen. Not a choice, just do it ;)
      YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Wolfmother
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2009 07:36:06 pm
      I'm giving 'Cosmic Egg' DE it's first full whirl as I type - so far so good. It's, most definitely, old skool rock n roll (which some may dismiss as un-inventive) and I feel it owes a lot to early Sabbath (with a few Zeppelin riffs thrown in). It's very retro but that may not be a bad thing; there's a nice, high-octane, vibe about it. Having said that I'm enjoying 'Far Away' a lot and it's pretty 'soft'.

I first caught Wolfmother at Oxegen back in 2006 Bigv and although the band's line up is very different, with only Stokdale still there, they seem to have retained the early vigour. So far and I'm enjoying it. 8/10  :gt-happyup: :action-smiley-035:
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2009 07:50:47 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2009 07:41:52 pm
      Nice work mate! Yeah it's a ripper of an album, first one is still my favorite but that would take something reeeal special to top. I have listened to this one a fair few times already and i aint sick of it by a long shot!
      I saw the old line up in '06 as well, and then saw the new line up just over a month ago back in Australia, and the new line up live is better than the old IMO. Could be i was very drunk the first time, but just from memory this new lot seem better. Not by much, but maybe the extra guitarist and such just adds a bit more to the live show. Definitely recommend seeing them again if you get the chance! Glad your enjoying the album ;D  :action-smiley-035:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2009 07:47:20 pm
      Nice work mate! Yeah it's a ripper of an album, first one is still my favorite but that would take something reeeal special to top. ;D  :action-smiley-035:

Hell yeah, that (California Queen) is an epic, beast of a tune!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2009 04:46:19 pm
      Love Wolfmother and just listening to the new album for the first time now.  I'd heard 'New Moon Rising' a while ago and still reckon its the best song on the album but of the other songs, 'Cosmic Egg', 'California Queen' and '10,000 Feet' are epic. ;)

Not as good as their first album but still a million times better than most other modern bands today.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Nov 12, 2009 09:40:35 pm
      Maybe I should give them another chance but I'm not a fan, they just don't sound original at all, to me. When I listen to it, I can only think of the likes of Led Zeppelin, which I'm not a big fan either, so...

But as I said, I can be totally wrong, cause I only listened to very few songs.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Nov 12, 2009 09:47:53 pm
      Nice one mattmcg! I agree it doesn't top the first album, but still for me one of the best albums in years. They are just that good. 10,000 feet is fantastic, love cranking that full in the car.
      Diego, if you aren't into Led Zeppelin and that kind of rock then it may not be your style. But id give em a whirl again. Watch those videos and then listen to a few others, they really are good. I don't know what you mean about not original though! IMO they are one of the most original bands out at the moment, like Muse and such in that they have a very unique sound. Fact is these days almost every rock band that comes out will have taken some influence from somewhere else. It's making your own little unique footprint on music history with that influence that counts. And the Wolfies have done that already with a Grammy win and some huge album sales and fan following.

Gonna put the album on again now :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Nov 14, 2009 07:48:11 am
      New Moon Rising is even on Ministry of Sound.

Pretty good band, which is a compliment because they're genre isn't really up my ally usually.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2009 08:50:31 am
      They sound poor live though, I can't listen to them live like at the NRL Grand Final
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2009 07:59:49 pm
      They sound poor live though, I can't listen to them live like at the NRL Grand Final

What were they like at that?? I have actually been to see them live twice, most recently in Adelaide in September and they are actually really good. Audio might have been sh*te at the NRL grandie, or they just had an off day. Or did you see it on TV? Because live never comes across well on TV unless its damn good quality feed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Nov 19, 2009 10:13:25 pm
      NRL shows are always sh*te. Cassie Davies was terrible at the Semi-Final of the NRL, too and i was there in the stadium.

They sounded alright live at Sound Relief.

Quick Reply