Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC v Milan Score Prediction (you must log in to vote)

Liverpool to win in 90 mins
      35 (66%)
      Liverpool to win in extra time
      9 (17%)
      Liverpool to win on penalties
      4 (7.5%)
      Liverpool to lose
      3 (5.7%)
      We shoot the person who voted us to lose
      2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: May 24, 2007 06:55:35 pm

European Cup Final - Liverpool FC vs AC Milan (23/5/07) - Team etc discussion

Read 41343 times
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Re: European Cup Final - Liverpool FC vs AC Milan (23/5/07)
      Reply #23: May 03, 2007 12:09:58 pm
      Three at the back is good but can be dodgy i like the 4-4-2 formation would love Riise on the left wing with Arbeloa taking left back so he Riise can push up think that's his best position. Also hope Captain Corageous plays in the Heart of midfield and Pennent on the right but then who plays alongside Gerard? would it be Masch or Alonso ??? If Pennent does start and Risse on the left wing Crouch will have great service on both sides and that would be a problem for Milan what do use think?
      Might be getting tickets to the final, but if I do I'm not gonna be able to afford the plane and gonna have to drive. The route planner says it's a 29 hour drive, should be fun!

Get me a ticket and i'll join you for the ride ;D i also want to go.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: May 03, 2007 12:25:06 pm
      For this match if Gerrard is gonna play in the middle then for me it has to be as part of a 5 man midfield.

When there is such a threat as Kaka on the pitch, you need to make sure he's snubbed out at all times. Having watched Milan play quite a few times, one thing I've noticed is they like to play the ball into areas that's gonna drag the 'holding' midfielder out of position, usually into wide areas, then ping the ball back into Kaka, and with a bit of space we all know what he can do. For this reason I feel we need two players in a defensive midfield role.

Gerrard brilliant as he is, often isn't disciplined enough to stick to a defensive role, as his natural instinct is to go forward. Even when he does stick to the task, you end up screaming at him to get forward as you know what he can do. I do agree Gerrard should be in the middle for this one, but I would definately say in a 5 man midfield, either in a 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1. If using a 4-2-3-1 I'd agree with Pennant on the right, obviously not in a 3-5-2 though. On the left, contraversial as it may be, I would actually stick Kewell back in the side (assuming he can go three weeks without picking up another injury). I've advocated getting rid of him in other threads, but as things stand, he's the best option we have on the left.

One other thing that's just dawned on me, a potential advantage for us, is the fact that we've secured CL status for next season, Milan have not. We'll have scouts out watching a full strength Milan team, one similar to the team they'll use in the final, they'll just be watching our reserves  ;D
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #25: May 03, 2007 01:32:52 pm
      I agree with Eddiec in that we need to play 4-2-3-1.  Alonso and Masch in the middle to deal with Kaka, Gerrard to push against Pirlo, stop him picking ball off defence and spraying it about.  Pennant probably deserves a start, and Zenden performed well enough on tuesday to be in the boss' thinking.  Just have a feeling Arbeloa might be involved with Ginge in midfield. 
      The worry with Kaka is that when he plays behind just one striker (as opposed to 2 in 05) he tends to drift out wide much more, so it will be up to the whole team to watch him.  We'll have to be concentrated come 23rd,  definately can't afford early mistakes cos i can't see Milan letting us off the hook a second time.
      lasha85
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #26: May 03, 2007 02:59:44 pm
      i cant say im a liverpool fan but i till may 23rd i am. yea im sympathetic to liverpool but the only reason i joined this forum is that i fcuking hate milan. so please gerrard and co beat them so bad that they wont have a will to play football ever again. Go liverpool
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: May 03, 2007 03:11:30 pm
      I cant say im a liverpool fan but I till may 23rd I am. yea im sympathetic to liverpool but the only reason I joined this forum is that I fcuking hate milan. so please gerrard and co beat them so bad that they wont have a will to play football ever again. Go liverpool

Inter fan are you?
      lasha85
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #28: May 03, 2007 03:27:11 pm
      nope hate to say  but bayern munich
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #29: May 03, 2007 03:29:02 pm
      nope hate to say  but bayern munich

Fair play. Fans of all clubs are welcome here as long as they're not here to give abuse.
      lasha85
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #30: May 03, 2007 03:30:28 pm
      cool. maybe ill be a fan of liverpool next year since bayern arent even gonna play in ucl
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #31: May 03, 2007 07:04:11 pm
      Think this years final is going to be alot tighter than 2005...think Mascherano on Kaka will be key...Argentina Vrs brazil...these boys know each others game...if JM does a decent job Alonso can start to ping balls around and try and deal with Pirlo...the thing is (and 3-5-2 is the way forward I reckon) will gerrard be able to keep clear of gattuso...the guy is fantastic...is to milan what deco is to barca...essential. Barca and AC depend on these boys for different reasons but are vital to them clicking)...Think Crouch has to play...as you all said earlier his height and movement will cause them problems....Riise and Finnan has got a  lot of running to do in order to make this formation work....Carra, Hypia and agger to steady the ship...Kuyt was such a work horse on tuesday and would love to see him draw defenders deep or use what pace he's got for crouchie's knock ons....there are pros and cons to all the formations....lets stay humble though and remember this years great journey and not get ahead of ourselves...the 6 time winners and against the 5 time winners...truely the Champions League Final
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #32: May 03, 2007 07:11:58 pm
      I've been saying for a while now we sholud play 4-2-3-1 for a number of reasons. Xabi and masch to sit and potect, with pennant and another on wings which will leave stevie free to attack and occupy gattuso(how fired up does he look by the way!).I would play crouch up front to give us a focal point for the attack. This gives us a good balance between attack and defense which I feel is ideal for this game.
      By the way I heard somewhere that Milan like to wear their all white kit for finals which leaves us free to wear red
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #33: May 03, 2007 07:23:14 pm
      I've been saying for a while now we sholud play 4-2-3-1 for a number of reasons. Xabi and masch to sit and potect, with pennant and another on wings which will leave stevie free to attack and occupy gattuso(how fired up does he look by the way!).I would play crouch up front to give us a focal point for the attack. This gives us a good balance between attack and defense which I feel is ideal for this game.
      By the way I heard somewhere that Milan like to wear their all white kit for finals which leaves us free to wear red

I know what you are saying...but I think Kuyt has really proven his value recently. Ok he's  not a 'foxin the box' or a creator, he can't hold the ball up that well or dribble or burst pasted people but his work rate is such a distraction and allows Stevie to ghost forward (as well as you can being one of the most watched and influential players in the world!) and means that there is value to Crouchie putting himself around to create knock ons...also if you are going to use the flanks you've got to have more than one focal point in order to make use of the opportiunities...
      As for the kits...I reckon Milan won't want to see us in Red after last time!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #34: May 03, 2007 08:03:38 pm
      Can't really disagree with your points either lester. 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 are both good options we will just have to wait and see what rafa does as he will prob surprise us yet again!

I f Milan do wear red/black just to stop us wearing red then it shows they are fearing us and will do anything to try and unsettle us
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 08:08:38 pm by srslfc »
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #35: May 03, 2007 08:08:08 pm
      I cant get this final off my mind lmao. Ive been in class today and my mind suddenly drifts off to line ups and the dream of seeing Stevie G lift that magnificent trophy again. Anyway, i think Milan will be the best team we are to play. If they play like they did versus United we will need to play out of our skins!

However we need to go in confident. I was wondering if anyone had thought any line ups up yet? It'd be nice to see others opinions...

Here is mine...

-------------------------------Reina---------------------------------
      --------------------Carragher----------Agger-------------------------
      --Finnan-------------------------------------------------------Riise--
      -----------------------------------Mascherano-----------------------
      ---------------------Gerrard------------------------------------------
      ---Pennant------------------------------------------------Zenden----
      -------------------------------------Kuyt-----------------------------
      --------------------------Crouch--------------------------------------

Or

-------------------------------Reina---------------------------------
      --------------------Carragher----------Agger-------------------------
      --Finnan---------------------------------------------------Arbeloa---
      -----------------------------------Mascherano-----------------------
      ---------------------Gerrard------------------------------------------
      ---Pennant---------------------------------------------------Riise----
      -------------------------------------Kuyt-----------------------------
      --------------------------Crouch--------------------------------------

What do you guys think. I personally believe Liverpool need Crouch up front as I dont think Milan will know how to handle him. I also think Carra has the ability to handle Kaka. I may be tempted to play Zenden as I think he was very good against Chelsea. It will be interesting to see. Maybe have Bellamy on to threaten the old Milan back 4 with his pace. I'd have Mascherano in this one ahead of Xabi, he was mesmeric vs Chelsea in my opinion. Kuyt with his work rate. Jermaine Pennant, man of the match for me on tuesday night, he has Ash Cole in his pocket! Riise has to play and Finnan. I think Agger is fantastic. OHHH Im so EXCITED!!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!

---------------------------------------

YNWA, Wellzy
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Rafa can predict the future!
      Reply #36: May 03, 2007 08:35:24 pm
      Check it out.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=449416&CPID=5&clid=14&lid=&title=Rafa+eyes+Milan+repeat

No wonder he keeps winning us trophys! Mystical Rafa!
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Rafa can predict the future!
      Reply #37: May 03, 2007 08:38:06 pm
      Woooooooooooow  :o
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: Rafa can predict the future!
      Reply #38: May 03, 2007 08:48:36 pm
      Sorry Mods, I know how annoyed you get with topics when there is one already started, do you think you could merge it with the Lfc vs Ac thread, I never noticed it, sorry again.

DONE  ;)
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 08:51:05 pm by smigger15 »
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #39: May 03, 2007 10:07:05 pm
      I know the two finalists were only decided on wednesday, when do we find out if Liverpool or Milan are going to have to play in their away kit in the final, after 2005, i cant see Milan changing for us, if they win the toss.  Unless its alredy been decided??? Answers on a postcard!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #40: May 03, 2007 10:08:58 pm
      As far as I know tinhead milan/utd side of the draw was the 'home' side so they get to choose the kits.I dont think there is a toss for it but I may be wrong.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 10:13:54 pm by srslfc »
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #41: May 04, 2007 12:50:39 am
      Real exited and nervous for this final. No doubt, it will be a great game. Little worried about playing Zenden though. His 2nd leg game was better, but there were passes that just did't get to our players. How about putting Risse on the left flank ?
      I guess we will know the line up at game time.
      glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #42: May 04, 2007 07:52:14 am
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #43: May 04, 2007 10:26:20 am
      Real exited and nervous for this final. No doubt, it will be a great game. Little worried about playing Zenden though. His 2nd leg game was better, but there were passes that just did't get to our players. How about putting Risse on the left flank ?
      I guess we will know the line up at game time.

I would also take him out and play Riise on the left flank with Arbeloa behind him.

Hmmm might even be tempted with Kewell he might just want to prove himself for a new contract. I know he hasn't played much but there is time for him to get to full fitness now and play the last 2 games.

Just a thought ???
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #44: May 04, 2007 10:30:36 am
      Liverpool to wear RED in Final, just anounced on SkySports ;D. AC Milan have decided to wear their White Shirts.
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #45: May 04, 2007 10:47:32 am
      That's great news

Quick Reply