Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Fulham 3 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Confusion

Read 40262 times
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Re: Fulham 3 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Confusion
      Reply #368: Nov 01, 2009 05:54:37 pm
      Would Voronin, Deggen, Ngog, Babel, Kyrgiakos, Lucas be in any of the other top four clubs sides. I dont think so!

We are Liverpool and should have the highest of standards. I know the likes of Ngog has potential but if we are to have any chance of winning a 19th title then we need players who are of a standard expected with teams that win trophies.

Where has all the fight gone? i only see the same players week in week out fighting for the club. Too many passengers that dont give a toss.

How did it get to this stage.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #369: Nov 01, 2009 05:56:49 pm
      Rafa isn't an idiot, but he has no idea who to play where anymore.
      Would Voronin, Deggen, Ngog, Babel, Kyrgiakos, Lucas be in any of the other top four clubs sides. I dont think so!

We are Liverpool and should have the highest of standards. I know the likes of Ngog has potential but if we are to have any chance of winning a 19th title then we need players who are of a standard expected with teams that win trophies.

Where has all the fight gone? I only see the same players week in week out fighting for the club. Too many passengers that dont give a toss.

[/quote
      Answer - Rafael Benitez. He bought them, he selects them, he subs them.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #370: Nov 01, 2009 05:58:15 pm
      Rafa isn't an idiot, but he has no idea who to play where anymore.

Where has all the fight gone? I only see the same players week in week out fighting for the club. Too many passengers that dont give a toss.

[/quote

Answer - Rafael Benitez. He bought them, he selects them, he subs them and leaves them out. Who else can take the blame?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #371: Nov 01, 2009 06:06:32 pm

It got to this stage mate, because contrary to popular belief if you look at Rafa's net spending over the 5 years he's been in charge taking his incoming transfer fee's against his out going transfer fee's he has a yearly average net transfer spend of £14,139,000 when you look at that figure and reflect on it, Its amazing he's kept us competitive no ?
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #372: Nov 01, 2009 06:18:45 pm
      I think it's all about math. We lost so much in the league so far that a 50-50 chance against Fullham wouldn't change that much and on the other hand, if we go to the next stage in Europe we get sh*t load of money which the club needs if we want to keep on breathing.

So for me, i understand why he took Torres off, he couldn't afford to lose him. I can understand that.
      Benayoun and Kuyt? We already lost the game, might as well make sure we have enough energy left for Lyon.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #373: Nov 01, 2009 06:23:31 pm
      You can't have the mentality of 'we already lost the game'. We are Liverpool ffs, were you thinking of that when we were 3-0 down at Istanbul, I don't think so. We were 2-1 down, all it took was a goal to bring us back in the game.

EDIT: You probably were thinking that at half time because you obviously have no belief in Liverpool.

Anyway, your entitled to your own opinion ... But I disagree  :laugh:
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #374: Nov 01, 2009 06:34:39 pm
      Don't get me wrong, i was pulling my hair until the last min, but it didn't really help and we need to think about the bigger picture.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #375: Nov 01, 2009 06:38:24 pm
      I know what your saying about the money Rafas had but some players at the club just now just arent good enough or even have the right attitude to wear the red shirt.

We all know that guys like Voronin shouldnt be playing for us but even when we get a chance to offload him we say no.
      I just think too many of the squad are average players that should be playing for average prem teams.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #376: Nov 01, 2009 06:45:20 pm
      I know what your saying about the money Rafas had but some players at the club just now just arent good enough or even have the right attitude to wear the red shirt.

We all know that guys like Voronin shouldnt be playing for us but even when we get a chance to offload him we say no.
      I just think too many of the squad are average players that should be playing for average prem teams.

Your absolutely right of course but the problem is that the market we can afford to shop in is the bargain basement with but a few exceptions.It would have been nice to bring in players of proven capability but  it seems we can only afford 1 of those each season which is why we end up with the Voronin's of this  world.
      5 years ago we needed a £100mil injection to the squad and then buy a good player each season as we used to do but it never happend and Rafa has had to try his luck elsewhere it hasnt worked on the hole.Even Babel at £11mil and touted by most critics as the next big thing has not worked out. Torres seems cheap now,Johnson altohugh thought to be expensive is the calibre we want and Aqualani looks promising if we had the cash to buy players just like this then there wouldnt be a problem with the squad lacking quality.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #377: Nov 01, 2009 06:52:52 pm
      Argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Is all I've got to say, Rafa's selection yesterday was forced on him what ever way you look at it.

If reports are to belived other than the injuries we already knew about, The Virus Aquilani was carrying depleted the rest of the squad further, Rafa made his substitutions knowing the injury crisis we have got on our hands and was trying to make the best of a bad situation.

We got beat, take it on the chin, Move forwards and look to the next game.

Same thing i thought. He is being forced to play with these depleted squads, and to make tough changes in games. He is just trying to do what all are saying he should and fight on all fronts which he is why he was trying to save some for Lyon. He wasn't throwing in the towell. Yes, the players going on are not as good but im sure as hell Rafa was hoping they would get some result. But the fact is we do not have the squad to fight on all fronts. All those who say "Oh but we are Liverpool, we have too" Need to wake up and see that we are going to struggle here and there, because even though we are Liverpool FC, as far as squad depth and funding go we are not going to get close to the manure's, chelsea, even Tottenham. But that doesn't mean we are going to throw the towell in. Rafa is trying to do his best with what he has, and giving young guys a go is what a lot have been calling for. So just settle, because although we all wanna see Liverpool dominate like old, until we get decent funding we will have to trust in Rafa what he is doing, because i guarantee no other manager would do much better with what we have at our disposal.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #378: Nov 01, 2009 06:53:52 pm
      It IS like a bad dream and I have to go to work tomorrow with twenty mancs. They know not to open their mouths to me, but the looks cut me in half. Thanks a lot boys........
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #379: Nov 01, 2009 06:54:27 pm
      Your absolutely right of course but the problem is that the market we can afford to shop in is the bargain basement with but a few exceptions.It would have been nice to bring in players of proven capability but  it seems we can only afford 1 of those each season which is why we end up with the Voronin's of this  world.
      5 years ago we needed a £100mil injection to the squad and then buy a good player each season as we used to do but it never happend and Rafa has had to try his luck elsewhere it hasnt worked on the hole.Even Babel at £11mil and touted by most critics as the next big thing has not worked out. Torres seems cheap now,Johnson altohugh thought to be expensive is the calibre we want and Aqualani looks promising if we had the cash to buy players just like this then there wouldnt be a problem with the squad lacking quality.
      in fairness though, the likes of Babel hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip. Riera, Keane and now Aquilani meant and means Babel will get less of a chance. Babel needs to play.
      He wants to go to the WC and is undoubtedly despondent and fearing he wont so its a vicious circle.
      There is no consistency to our team, sometimes not the fault of Rafa, but 80% of the time, he has made some baffling decisions.
      I can't see it changing and think that Benitez is the most frustrating and stubborn manager around. I remember what happened to another stubborn bloke . . . remember Houllier.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #380: Nov 01, 2009 06:55:50 pm

When did we get the chance to offload him? From what i remember Hertha declined the chance to sign him fully, im sure as hell Rafa didn't stand in his way, until he found out he was going to get no more money anyway.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #381: Nov 01, 2009 06:57:13 pm
      I did have to look twice at the team but a few out with a virus and others with injuries ( why is it only our best players get injured) but I know Rafa sent out the team he could not necessarily the one he wanted.For those who slag off Voronin an Degen and Lucas for that matter do you think Rafa thought well I could buy Silva and Villa but you know what I think I will go with Voronin and Babel and save the club £30mil.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #382: Nov 01, 2009 07:08:27 pm
      These players are getting slagged because there not good enough, simple as that. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #383: Nov 01, 2009 07:16:52 pm
      To get an idea of Rafa's transfers and the constraints placed up on him, interesting thread here that may give you a little insight http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=24667.msg495976#new , you may even get an idea of how Rafa has had to sell certain players, players you may feel he should have kept, just so he could build a Starting XI to compete with the likes of Chelsea Man utd &  Arsenal.

wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #384: Nov 02, 2009 12:31:25 am
      what pees me off is the inconsistancy a stunning game is followed by a woefull game. seems as though we are unravelling. if this isnt turned around we are in all sorts of negative scenarios. that takeover will probably not take place. then champion league money will disapear not being in the top four. torres is the only bright spot
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #385: Nov 02, 2009 12:45:08 am
      We were all over them in the first half, our old problem was evident, can't score goals when we are on top, it was a game we could have and should have gone in 2 up, the fact we didn't was down to poor finishing and poor defending, the first two goals they scored were made by us, once we had the players sent off, (even Jamie's looked a good tackle) it was damage limitation, it's one of those games, let every one have a laugh, soon we'll be back giving their teams a good pasting, lets see what happens then.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #386: Nov 02, 2009 10:05:40 am
      Well in all fairness im going to start off by saying how the hell is Lee Mason a Premier League ref? The two sendings off simply werent, Degen was a yellow at the worst and Carragher although did take the last man he did get the ball and I guess in the law of thegame he has to go, however, he still got the ball so you know f**k you Mason.

I saw the highlights to the game, and my biggest problem is two of the goals looked very much defensive errors. Insua looked pretty uninterested at times I found and was one of the reasons we let in I think the second and then for their third, sure we had 9 men, but Kryagios just seemed to look lousy and let the man through. All in all, we looked like we did very well first half and the second was a horror show, im deeply concerned now with the injuries and somehow a home game against Birmingham because increasingly important!

Up top, apart from Torres I don’t often see where our goals are coming from, it’s a major concern. Not a lot of creativity going on

Whether we be 17th, 7th or top. Never lose faith in the red men YNWA
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #387: Nov 02, 2009 12:32:34 pm
      Our biggest problem was a lack of creativity in midfield and on the flanks. Fulham sat in their own half and were happy for us to pass the ball along the back four. As soon as we crossed into their half they pressed and we had nothing to offer or anyone capable of going past anyone in the middle of the park.

This led to our wide players, Kuyt and Yossi coming inside to congest it even more in the hope of getting the ball. We played right into Fulhams game plan.

I dont think the selection was right.  We only need one holding midfielder NOT two in these games where the oppo are happy to settle for a point.
      fc~hansa~fing
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #388: Nov 02, 2009 03:19:47 pm
      Well Liverpool is just not capable of comparing the miss of Gerrard who leaves big hole in the midfield  and it won`t  be better without  Carragher in the defence. Of course Rafa also makes mistakes (Voronin)  but Liverpool is unlucky and needs another capable midfielder.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #389: Nov 02, 2009 05:25:57 pm
      rafa has his reason's he works with the players day to day,he is our manager and i back him.

Quick Reply