Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Biggest Rivals?

Man Utd
      206 (86.6%)
      Chelsea
      9 (3.8%)
      Everton
      23 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Biggest/Fiercest Rivals

Read 35248 times
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      May 03, 2007 11:46:39 am
      There's been alot of talk recently over the last couple of days about Chelsea and Man Utd and it made me think who is actually our biggest rivals??

Obviously Everton are the City rivals so its always a special occasion when we play them but as they are now pretty far behind us in quality do people still see them as the main rivals?

Then there's been Man Utd as the team that took over from us in the early nineties as the best team in England  :'( and with both being in the north west is pretty localish

and now over the last 3-4 years there's Chelsea, I never actually really considered Chelsea as a main rival but since RA and JM :tosser: have taken over there attitude and the way they go about things has made me hate them soooo much................ But if JM  were to leave and a normal manager came in to replace them would people still hate them the same??

Me personally would rate them in this order (its very close tho)

Chelsea
      Man Utd
      Everton

Im down south so maybe its different for local fans and everton is still the main rival but i would just like know peoples thoughts on this.........
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      Reply #1: May 03, 2007 11:52:35 am
      It's definately between Sh!tski & Manure for top spot, a very tough one to call.

I also live in the south, so have to put up with a lot more sh!tski fans than the locals on here, with their plastic flags and collection of three songs. But TBH it's the club itself that I don't like about Sh!tski, the fans that come down my local are at least gracious losers, and can have a good bit of banter (even though 25 of them did get outsung by 6 of us on Tuesday!).

With Manure it's the other way round though. Anyone who's not completely blinded by their hate has to admit that Ferguson's done a brilliant job over the years, they've brought through some great players and played good football. However, their fans are scum of the earth, posting songs about Hillsborough & suchlike.

So in a very non-conclusive fashion, I'd say club wise, Sh!tski are my biggest rivals, but fan wise it's definately Manure. Neverton come a very distant third, no bother to us in footballing terms, and whilst bitter their fans are nowhere near as bad as Manure's.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 11:53:24 am by EddieC »
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #2: May 03, 2007 12:48:48 pm
      chelsea - purely becuase of that c**t Jose.

mufc - I have to admit AF is one of my favourite managers he is old school class and even though he does not like LFC he respects us hugely.

Bitter Blues - well they are just that extremely bitter of the success we have had in the past and in the present (while we are linked to buying David Villa, Eto'o etc . . they are linked to the likes of David Neugent as their big name !).
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: May 03, 2007 01:16:41 pm
      I detest Man U as a club but if it doesn’t sound to contradictory I admire some of their players past and present and some of their fans, in fact one of my best mates lived in Salford and even came to a LFC v Mancs game, he stood on the Kop with me whilst keeping his mouth firmly shut as the reds took them to the cleaners (yes it was a while ago!). The flip side is that whenever I went to the Theatre of wet dreams it was like taking your life into your hands as you got chased round Salford quays by tooled up nutters whilst the Police and stewards just stood by and watched, and then if you can make it inside the songs and gestures will start about Hillsborough and to be honest I find that more upsetting than the thought of copping a whack off a disgruntled Stretford ender.
      The Blue Sh*te I don’t think of as rivals anymore, yes they are even singing Hillsborough songs as well now but that is because they want us to hate them and not think of them as annoying little flies buzzing round our heads or maybe the dog sh*t you tread in on the way home from the pub, in other words they are just an inconvenience to us on the road to glory.

AIG, Almost in Greece how very apt!! ;D
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #4: May 03, 2007 01:20:08 pm
      i have to say, as I´m from austria i have on the one hand the luck not to be confronted with too many manure fans , altough i do realise that they are a bunch of disrespectful idiots at times ( especially the hillsborough stuff on youtube made me angry ). anyway, on the other hand it`s a pity that there aren`t many Liverpool fans around here either, so i can kind of limit my hate to the teams, and not their fans.
      therefore i have to admit i see the mancs as our fiercest rivals . they don`t come close to the success LFC has had, but they do come closer to us than the chavs. generally i think they are a better team than chelsea and they have a good manager ( it hurts to say that, but it`s true...it`s not easy beeing the manager of a top club for such a long time) and also some players who showed a lot of quality over the past few years.
      chelsea ...well what to say about chelsea? i don`t see them as our biggest rivals, i just really really don`t like them. maybe "money can`t buy you love" really works here...
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: May 03, 2007 01:21:11 pm

I always thought it meant 'Am I Gay?'  ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: May 03, 2007 02:26:16 pm
      I always thought it meant 'Am I Gay?'  ;D

Now I thought it meant "Actually I'm Gay". But there you go. ;D

By the way Eddie. Congrats on being upgraded to a mod.

Anyway, for me it's always going to be Man Utd who are our biggest, fiercest rivals. They're the closest ones to be catching up with our status in titles. That's the bread and butter after all....
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #7: May 03, 2007 03:59:59 pm
      I detest Man U as a club but if it doesn’t sound to contradictory I admire some of their players past and present and some of their fans, in fact one of my best mates lived in Salford and even came to a LFC v Mancs game, he stood on the Kop with me whilst keeping his mouth firmly shut as the reds took them to the cleaners (yes it was a while ago!). The flip side is that whenever I went to the Theatre of wet dreams it was like taking your life into your hands as you got chased round Salford quays by tooled up nutters whilst the Police and stewards just stood by and watched, and then if you can make it inside the songs and gestures will start about Hillsborough and to be honest I find that more upsetting than the thought of copping a whack off a disgruntled Stretford ender.
      The Blue Sh*te I don’t think of as rivals anymore, yes they are even singing Hillsborough songs as well now but that is because they want us to hate them and not think of them as annoying little flies buzzing round our heads or maybe the dog sh*t you tread in on the way home from the pub, in other words they are just an inconvenience to us on the road to glory.

Thought it stood for"Ar$e Infected Gimp" :laugh:
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: May 03, 2007 04:53:40 pm
      I prefer the white one
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: May 03, 2007 05:07:33 pm
      I'm unsure on this to be honest. I always hated Utd the most (probs more than Everton, cos they never really 'compete' with us) but now Chavski are buying everything and think they rule the F***ing world..  :f_steam: .. Yes I'm getting angry just thinking about them!!! AAARGH!! On the other hand, I think Utd can play good football, and without fatboy Rooney being a prat and Ronaldo falling over every blade of grass and them two just concentrating on their football, I believe they are a good quality team; although it hurts me to say it.
      Lea
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 79 posts |
      Reply #10: May 03, 2007 05:18:58 pm
      I'm unsure on this to be honest. I always hated Utd the most (probs more than Everton, cos they never really 'compete' with us) but now Chavski are buying everything and think they rule the f***ing world..  :f_steam: .. Yes I'm getting angry just thinking about them!!! AAARGH!! On the other hand, I think Utd can play good football, and without fatboy Rooney being a prat and Ronaldo falling over every blade of grass and them two just concentrating on their football, I believe they are a good quality team; although it hurts me to say it.

I do think you are right though...they have a certain quality in their team. it hurts me to say that too, but at least you`re not alone now , Nicola ;)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: May 03, 2007 05:25:48 pm
      Yeah, and Chelsea just cheat their way through things, on the pitch and money wise.
      Cy
      Reply #12: May 03, 2007 05:51:43 pm
      United always been attached to these chants and crap attitude of their fans and their players (ref neville) during games.By been the ones who took over during the nineties the rivalry became clear to decided who was the best team.

Everton is more like a brother, sisters relationship, big arguments and co but I think it's a sane one, the derbies between both team are a real treat to watch and I don't think there are problems between fans, many times you seen both set of fans sitting together during games. A lot of families are supporting both sides, so like I said it's a sane rivalry.

chelsea now it's an other story, their manager doesn't understand that history matters in England and therefore insults Liverpool and also other top clubs in the premiership for it seems the pleasure of it. The fact that abramovich doesn't speak to the press, doesn't seemed to get involve in the game makes the chelsea team like a team without a soul and that don't fit with the culture here. A cheque book doesn't make a team great and any success bring on doubt of the real recognition of the team. I think chelsea are our fierest rival because of that, it's soul history spirit against money. Not only chelsea loose big time this battle but by slagging off other big clubs or talented players of other teams they will loose the war.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #13: May 03, 2007 06:06:02 pm
      It's definately between Sh!tski & Manure for top spot, a very tough one to call.

I also live in the south, so have to put up with a lot more sh!tski fans than the locals on here, with their plastic flags and collection of three songs. But TBH it's the club itself that I don't like about Sh!tski, the fans that come down my local are at least gracious losers, and can have a good bit of banter (even though 25 of them did get outsung by 6 of us on Tuesday!).

With Manure it's the other way round though. Anyone who's not completely blinded by their hate has to admit that Ferguson's done a brilliant job over the years, they've brought through some great players and played good football. However, their fans are scum of the earth, posting songs about Hillsborough & suchlike.

So in a very non-conclusive fashion, I'd say club wise, Sh!tski are my biggest rivals, but fan wise it's definately Manure. Neverton come a very distant third, no bother to us in footballing terms, and whilst bitter their fans are nowhere near as bad as Manure's.

Bingo!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: May 03, 2007 06:14:48 pm
      Would be interesting to see the forums view on this, so I've added a poll.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: May 03, 2007 06:30:26 pm
      Sh!tski for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #16: May 03, 2007 07:23:43 pm
      Man U are the biggest rivals for me but I respect them more for their quality of football/players. Can't stand chelsea's whole attitude right now, just wondering if they would be different if jose wasn't the boss. It's a tough call as you have to include the bitter blues too!!, but on a whole its the mancs who are and will probably always be our biggest rivals
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #17: May 03, 2007 09:14:11 pm
      its got to be Sh!tski just because of moaning Maureen. but it always will ebb between them and the Manu
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #18: May 03, 2007 09:30:13 pm
      Its got to be the mancs for me,the fans are so arrogant and seem to think its there god given right to win everything,plus they never ever have anything decent to say about any other team...AS long as I have known the players seem to the same mentality as well....or AM I JUST BITTER? :confuzzled: :confused-smiley-013:
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #19: May 03, 2007 09:31:10 pm
      Man ure,they think are the greatest club in the world and are so arrogant apart from a few of them I.e. JohnoWhite.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: May 03, 2007 09:42:54 pm
      I cant believe that Chelsea even get close to rivalling Man U as our biggest rivals all you have to do is go to a LFC V Man U game to witness the hatred, passion and sheer desire to win any game we play against them yes we all want to beat Chelsea but that is mostly down to how arrogant they are and the t*t of a manager they have.
      With the Mancs its different our history with them goes back decades not a few years like we have with the Chavs, I can understand reds who live outside Merseyside picking Chelsea as our main rivals as there is probably a chance that you get more stick off them than I would, but when they fade back into the background as the money goes or the Russian fella finds a new toy there waiting in the wings are the Mancs, they are always there and they will always be the second most successful club in Britain and thats what p*sses them off, It is an absolute no contest with Chelsea or the Blue sh*te in the rivalry stakes that is why the Mancs are and will forever be our greatest competition.
      On a final note you have the choice of playing the Mancs or Chelsea in a final which one do you pick? which one would turn your stomach more?
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 09:46:14 pm by Glenbuck »
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #21: May 03, 2007 09:45:17 pm
      The mancs, i wouldn't be able to handle the nerves and fear of if we lost or the excitement if we won, Chelski are just a flash in the pan and will soon fade away again.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: May 03, 2007 10:07:45 pm
      Ok, is this thread meant to be "biggest/fiercest rivals lately", or "biggest/fiercest rivals in general"?? Because if it's in general, then I can't see how Chavski can be anywhere near us.

As Cy pointed out, even of late, while they've been successful in the league, they're a souless club and their manger spearheads that image. They have to carry on a long long way, winning titles and cups, before they can get close to rival us, in more ways than one!!

It's obvious to see why Everglum are smalll rivals to us because of the history between the two teams and because of both clubs being in the city of Liverpool. But they are still inferior to what we have achieved.

But Moan Urinals come closest to us in winning. And winning is what we are all about.

I cant believe that Chelsea even get close to rivalling Man U as our biggest rivals all you have to do is go to a LFC V Man U game to witness the hatred, passion and sheer desire to win any game we play against them yes we all want to beat Chelsea but that is mostly down to how arrogant they are and the t*t of a manager they have.
      With the Mancs its different our history with them goes back decades not a few years like we have with the Chavs, I can understand reds who live outside Merseyside picking Chelsea as our main rivals as there is probably a chance that you get more stick off them than I would, but when they fade back into the background as the money goes or the Russian fella finds a new toy there waiting in the wings are the Mancs, they are always there and they will always be the second most successful club in Britain and thats what p*sses them off, It is an absolute no contest with Chelsea or the Blue sh*te in the rivalry stakes that is why the Mancs are and will forever be our greatest competition.
      On a final note you have the choice of playing the Mancs or Chelsea in a final which one do you pick? which one would turn your stomach more?

Apologies for posting again, but Glenbuck, I've just read your post and I totally agree!!!!
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2007 10:13:24 pm by redkenny »

Quick Reply