Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Biggest Rivals?

Man Utd
      206 (86.6%)
      Chelsea
      9 (3.8%)
      Everton
      23 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Biggest/Fiercest Rivals

Read 35249 times
      King Cantona
      • Likes to finish every post with multiple full stops.
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Re: Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      Reply #23: May 03, 2007 10:11:20 pm
      Eddie C, I'd Just like to put a "scum of the earth" position forward, I have never EVER sung a song about a tragedy of any kind, maybe you're too young to remember but I have in the seventies heard many songs about The Munich Air Disaster from Liverpool "fans", are there bad fans at every club? Of course there are, we have some awful "fans" but there are awful liverpool "fans" as well and a very dark day for Liverpool was the Heysel Stadium Disaster in 1985, watch a video of the game and count how many banners  there were at the Liverpool end 'celebrating' The Munich Air Disaster...

You would do well to realise that only an idiot would say that United fans are all bad, the same way that only an idiot would say that Liverpool fans are all bad...
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #24: May 03, 2007 11:04:03 pm
      Manure all the way for me ive got a few mates who support them so the banter is always good,but im starting to develop a real hatred for chelsea but its all down to mourinho.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #25: May 03, 2007 11:16:21 pm
      Manure all the way for me ive got a few mates who support them so the banter is always good,but im starting to develop a real hatred for chelsea but its all down to mourinho.

I used to quite like Mourinho probably because Wenger didn't like him but right now he's full of sh*t, he's so far up his own arse he's lost any grip on reality, it's pretty close to self parody now, Jose Arogantio...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #26: May 03, 2007 11:29:18 pm
      Good post King C - indeed United only have an element - just as much as we have morons. 

Our biggest rivals are of course Manchester United. Anybody suggesting Chelsea as the main rivals has obviously a memory of a goldfish.  United - Liverpool rivalries have been developed over 40 so years at least.

The reason United fans are so vilified however is because it only ever tends to be at Manchester that the Hillsborough slurs get painted on bridges, sung by the opposition (in some number), and we often hear 'We all hate Scousers' and 'Are you watching Liverpool' at nearly every game you play.

We only sing the 'We hate Mancs' when we play you. 

Of course I used to hear the Munich songs at Anfield - when I was a kid in the Kop I heard it on the odd occassion - but you had it off Leeds and Man City for instance.

The recent Fenceeater96 slurs on YouTube only add fuel to the fire.

I don't want us to have a big love in - you don't and it wouldn't happen anyway. I think Liverpool and United fans both have grudging respect for the achievements of the other side.  I personally think your starting XI is better than ours at the moment but our squad is better than yours.

Man United is our biggest rivalry. Don't even kid yourself it is Chelsea.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #27: May 03, 2007 11:50:16 pm

Man United is our biggest rivalry. Don't even kid yourself it is Chelsea.

Yeah of course, for a while Arsenal were big rivals but even when United were crap (and I remember that very well) and now when Liverpool haven't really challenged for the title for a while there was always that rivalry, I've been to Wembley to see our rivalry, I've seen us win there and lose there. Man City are rivals in as much as they are from the same city and Leeds are just idiots but the real big rivalry for Man United is Liverpool, there seems to be plenty of Liverpool fans who seem to think that Chelsea are rivals, how long have they been watching football? I first went to Old Trafford in 1971 when I was 12, even then I had a healthy dislike for Liverpool and in the coming years that turned into extreme dislike, now I've grown up there is no room for dislike (except for those southern jessies) but I admire players like Gerard and Carragher...

By the way before the last two years Chelsea had only ever won three trophies, the league in 1955, the FA Cup in 1970 and The Cup Winners Cup in 1971 so get over yourself if you really are even considering Chelsea as rivals?????????
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #28: May 04, 2007 01:17:58 pm
      If you lived in Liverpool all your life you'd know the biggest rival by far in the Blue sh*te. Always has been..... always will be.... Don't care where in the league they are. In fact the further away they are the worse it is losing to them.

Utd & Chelsea even though fierce rivals don't even come close.

For those who don't understand try staying in Liverpool on the pop after losing to the blue sh*te after they have beaten us.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #29: May 04, 2007 02:10:26 pm
      If you lived in Liverpool all your life you'd know the biggest rival by far in the Blue sh*te. Always has been..... always will be.... Don't care where in the league they are. In fact the further away they are the worse it is losing to them.

Utd & Chelsea even though fierce rivals don't even come close.

For those who don't understand try staying in Liverpool on the pop after losing to the blue sh*te after they have beaten us.

I took the topic to mean who are the biggest rivals challenging for honours and in that context the bitters dont even come close, i know things get nasty in town after a derby especially if they have put one over on us but the nastiness isnt permanent and they are soon forgotten, surely you have some mates who are blues and in general all is well till derby day, the same cant be said for the Mancs the rivalry and hatred never takes a day off.
      gibbo6 times
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #30: May 04, 2007 03:35:20 pm
      I agree with glenbuck the blue Sh**e are our closes rivals twice a year, but it is not the same as the mancs or shi*tski.
      Everton support our campaign for justice, they dont buy that paper, i even knew some who wanted us to get to final cause were scousers.
      Shi*tski just followed by a load of people with lots of money who dont even know the offside rule, dont even entertain them.
      The mancs are blinkered even after there campion league exit ahhhh, straight away you got the excuse of more interested in winning the league, BOLLOCKS.
      They cant even admit that we have quality players and will be challenging them soon for the premiership. at least we can say that they do have quality players, players like scholes rooney and ronaldo(deserved player of year). God I hate them
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: May 04, 2007 03:36:52 pm
      Eddie C, I'd Just like to put a "scum of the earth" position forward, I have never EVER sung a song about a tragedy of any kind, maybe you're too young to remember but I have in the seventies heard many songs about The Munich Air Disaster from Liverpool "fans", are there bad fans at every club? Of course there are, we have some awful "fans" but there are awful liverpool "fans" as well and a very dark day for Liverpool was the Heysel Stadium Disaster in 1985, watch a video of the game and count how many banners  there were at the Liverpool end 'celebrating' The Munich Air Disaster...

You would do well to realise that only an idiot would say that United fans are all bad, the same way that only an idiot would say that Liverpool fans are all bad...

Obviously I know not all Utd fans are like that, unfortunate as it is though, you are all going to get tarred with the same brush. It's a football match with thousands of people watching, you're hardly going to be able to say 'That guy with the 'tache is singing hillsborough songs, he's scum, the others are all right' your simply gonna say 'The Utd fans are singing Hillsborough songs, they're scum'. Like it or not, that's the way it is. I completely expect to be called scum by Utd fans, and don't take offence to it if I am.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #32: May 06, 2007 10:21:06 pm
      Obviously I know not all Utd fans are like that, unfortunate as it is though, you are all going to get tarred with the same brush. It's a football match with thousands of people watching, you're hardly going to be able to say 'That guy with the 'tache is singing hillsborough songs, he's scum, the others are all right' your simply gonna say 'The Utd fans are singing Hillsborough songs, they're scum'. Like it or not, that's the way it is. I completely expect to be called scum by Utd fans, and don't take offence to it if I am.

I have never heard a song about Hillsborough being sung but if you have I can only hope that you can luck at it objectively, I have heard Liverpool fans very loudly singing songs about Munich, I had the good sense to realise that the vast majority of Liverpool fans were not joining in...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #33: May 06, 2007 10:26:20 pm
      I have never heard a song about Hillsborough being sung

:o Seriously?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: May 06, 2007 10:41:36 pm
      King Cantona. I have heard songs being sung about Hillsborough. And I find it hard to believe you haven't mate. You've been going to Old Trafford since the seventies haven't you? I think I seen that in one of your previous posts? Do you still go the match now? Correct me if I'm wrong.
      In an ideal world both the big majority of Utd and Liverpool fans could get on and just have friendly banter. That's what sport is all about. But we both know that's not going to happen. It's a shame but it's true isn't it. There's no point in anyone debating that.

Back to the topic.
      I've already pointed out my view on the biggest/fiercest rivals on here. It will always be Man U for me. And that's all down to a sporting sense. Nothing to do with fans.
      King Cantona
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 303 posts | -29 
      Reply #35: May 07, 2007 02:21:48 pm

Yes, I don't get to matches anymore but I haven't even heard it sung during the match on TV, but you could always hear the Munich songs very loudly back in the day. I'm not trying to call Liverpool fans any worse than United fans but to remember all the bad things that one set of fans has done and forget about the bad chants of your own fans isn't very fair, we all know that there are bad fans at every club, that's a fact of life. Actually after the Hillsborough Tragedy I worked delivering food products and I was in Buxton the folllowing monday, I met two Sheffield Wednesday fans walking from Hillsborough to Anfield collecting money as they went, I contributed every penny I had on me. I also seem to remember that fans of all clubs visited Anfield to put scarves and flowers down at the memorial on the pitch, the United fans that did so received a big ovation because most people realised that although we were great rivals this tragedy transcended something so trivial as rivalry...
      fanatic dee
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #36: May 07, 2007 07:39:09 pm
      Of course the Scumbags are our fiercest rivals  ::)

The stupid Mancs can only dream of having such a rich vein of history as us. I'm not sure there will not be anyone to rival the feeling of hate which is there between the two clubs  >:D
      Ferguson and his lot can pretend all they like they are Britains premier club, the rest of us know what the truth is.  :laugh: :laughing-smiley-014: :action-smiley-055:
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #37: May 08, 2007 12:14:11 pm
      Ok so its ???

If your local:

Everton 
      Man Utd
      Chelsea

Liverpool fans in general:

Man Utd
      Chelsea
      Everton

and recent:

Chelsea
      Man Utd
      Everton

???

I have no doubts that the whole chelsea thing is a flash in the pan but I have them 1st only due to JM and the fact most of their players are overrated love themselves and love to talk themselves up!! 

As said Man Utd do have a very good history and have been rivals for most of our history and always will be so..........

Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #38: May 08, 2007 05:29:14 pm
      With Manure it's the other way round though. Anyone who's not completely blinded by their hate has to admit that Ferguson's done a brilliant job over the years, they've brought through some great players and played good football.

It's still great to hear that irrespective of who plays it, good football is well appreciated.

However, their fans are scum of the earth, posting songs about Hillsborough & suchlike.

We're not all like that Eddie. Yes we've got numpties but who the F**k hasn't? I just wish they'd all do us a huge favour by F***ing off and supporting someone else.

Sad to have to say it but why these loonies - wherever they are and whoever they support - choose to focus on the tragic loss of lives as a means of "demonstrating support " for their club is totally beyond normal decency and even outside of humanity for me.

I wouldn't piss on 'em if they were on fire.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #39: May 08, 2007 08:20:20 pm
      I must say Ive always had this thing with Arsenal. My family is divided between them and Liverpool, and the banter has been there as long as I can remember. But its nothing compared to the "relationship" with Man United. The hatred against them is kind of the glue in my family, hehe.. We disagree on alot concerning football, but THIS we agree on! (some years ago my aunt visited my parents house, bringing Cosmopolitan, the magazine in her handbag. My dad wouldnt let her in before she got rid of it cause Victoria B*ckham was on the frontpage. Enough to trigger my dad, as her husband is a huge no-no in their home.. :P Funny and I like it.) As many of you have said, our rivalry with Man United will never change. Its been there for ages, and will be there all the time they will try to catch up with us (so... forever that is ;D
      I cant stand Chelsea, cheating c*nts, but my despise for them cant even come close to my "feelings" for United. The chavs annoy me, nothing more. Been here for some years now, taken the league a couple of times which is no biggie with those resources, its only what you would expect I mean. When Maureen now leave in the summer, as he will be doing when all hes team is taking home this season is the incredible, marvellous, colossal league cup trophy, Chelseas days in the spotlight is over. And with the clown gone, they wont bother me anymore. Not more than a fart on the bus.
      As for Everton I cant say much, as I dont live in Liverpool. Very funny games against them, but no threat to us. Not on history, size or dominance in the city.
      Sorry for chaotic post! :P

...and sorry for unnecessary long post too :(
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2007 04:53:20 pm by Watt »
      rushistanbul
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #40: May 08, 2007 08:21:10 pm
      Chelski
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: May 08, 2007 10:38:18 pm
      Not more than a fart on the bus.
      As for Everton I can say much, as I dont live in Liverpool. Very funny games against them, but no threat to us. Not on history, size or dominance in the city.
      Sorry for chaotic post! :P

...and sorry for unnecessary long post too :(

:D "Not more than a fart on the bus"! That made me laugh!

Well said on the Everton. No threat to us in size, dominance or history indeed!
      And there is no need to apologise for a long post Watt!!!

Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #42: May 09, 2007 06:10:51 pm
      This ongoing "hatred" between our two clubs has to be put into some kind of context. First thing to say is both our cities have ALWAYS been fierce economic rivals - long before footie got on the scene!

Your forebears saw the growth of Cottonopolis with their friggin' canal taking away much maluma from the British Empire's greatest port - and didn't much like it.

Your Georgian, Regency and after them your Victorian city masters,  long defenders of Conservativism and commerce, would have laughed loud and long when the cotton spinners of Manchester and her surrounding districts were chastised by the Manchester yeomanry in August 1819 at Peterloo. 11 workers dead and hundreds injured - women and children too - by sabre cuts inflicted by the idle sons of the cream of Manchester's idle rich.
      Secretly they would have worried of course because they might have believed that Manchester's unruly lower classes had clearly been subdued by the ruling class and would therefore likely to offer no opposition to THAT city's ruling masters making even more money out of ITS workers than they were able to make out of theirs!!

They wouldn't have laughed too loudly either when they heard about the founding of the Trades Union Congress in the Mechanics Institute in 1868. They likely kept a worried eye turned eastward to see if this "infection of organised labour" would spread to the working classes of Liverpool too.

Then of course, Manchester gave birth to the movement for universal suffrage - and votes for women. No doubt your city fathers more than ever strongly disapproved of the upstart city down the East Lancs Road !

Now to the football!

Ironically, the 2 men who shaped our two clubs and who have become legends of the game were good friends. Shanks much admired what Matt had done with United after the war and decided if it worked for Matt it'd work for him. Your growth under Shanks was modelled absolutely on Busby's prototype.

Whenever I read a posting shouting about your great history - usually from fans who aren't into their 60's like me I'm guessing - it brings a smile to my face because of the reality. Both you and us to almost the same degree boast of our proud tradition and history. What is never said by either set of fans - not loudly anyway - is that BOTH our histories really only came to life with the arrival of Busby at Old Trafford in the late 40's and later the arrival of Shanks at Anfield in the late 50's.

What each of them achieved in English football - though a decade apart - has become the yardstick of success and reference points as legends of our game. Youth development out of necessity not choice was Busby's solution. Bit of a Hobson's choice really 'cos the club were skint!!
      But like with anything, both borrowed ideas and schemes from others that had influenced their own lives - like any other sensible human being would do.

Busby was the first to take his team into European competition when the Football League forbade United permission to enter the competition for the European Champions Cup. Yes of course, there had already been European football in the early 50's.

The dominant English side were Wolves and they had already played many of the continental sides but only ever in friendlies - because the Football League wouldn't allow real competition.

Busby defied them and took his 1956 champions - average age 22 - into the competition anyway.

Can you imagine how brave that decision was back in 1956?  Wolves didn't make it. Chelsea didn't make it in 1955. Busby did.

Can you also imagine how shattered that man must have been when his boys were destroyed at Munich - paying for his ambition with their lives? Was football or anything ever worth that kind of loss?

Busby and United set the way forward for all that followed although the price we paid was a very heavy one. Maybe when you hear that minority of your fans singing Munich songs you'll understand why it generates such anger in us.

And maybe, if one of your lads or lasses would post the real version of events of 1989 maybe even some of those brain-dead scummy bas**rds that unfortunately claim they are United fans and sing scandalous and deeply offensive jibes about Hillsborough might grasp how F***ing tragic that day was - not just for your club but for all of us.

Sorry it's gone on but had to get it off my chest folks. Good luck on the 23rd - which for those of you who don't know it is Matt Busby's birthday. Maybe the old wise one'll be in your corner in Athens with his great mate and together, you'll pull off another great win!!

EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #43: May 09, 2007 06:19:40 pm
      Brilliant post Johnowhite, agree with everything you say there, you're obviously one of the alright ones  ;D

Unfotunately though, as I said in my earlier post, people are never gonna differentiate between the good fans and the bad. Anytime some of your fans sing Hillsborough songs it'll always be a case of 'The Utd fans were singing songs' rather than 'Certain sections of the Utd fans were singing'

Sad, but that's just the way it is.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #44: May 09, 2007 06:29:48 pm
      Good post Johno... a reminder that football has possibly only heightened the rivalry between the north-west's two biggest cities.

So it's Sir Matt's birthday the 23rd is it? Let's hope the ex-Liverpool player is wishing us well.  ;) Unlike your present incumbent.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #45: May 09, 2007 08:16:17 pm
      I would probably say that Manure are our biggest rivals as they bring the hatered element into things with thier vile chants about hillsbrough and heysel, plus the fact that they are our nearest rivals in terms of league titals won (although some way off)

yet on the other hand i have a certain respect for utd as they are as much as it pains me to say it a decent side with good footballing principles were as chelsea have bought thier success and therefore seem fake and manufactered to me. yet i also dislike chelsea fans , due to the fact they are so crap , they boast about 3 simple songs and probably hve only supported chelski for a few years.

the difference is i hate manure fans, were as i just dislike chelski fans, but i hate chelsea as a club and probably only dislike manure through rivalry as they have my respect.

as for the players i have to say i really , truly do hate lampard, terry, ronaldo, rooney and neville so i guess manure pip that one.

as for everton on the other hand i by no means hate them as at the end of the day they are scousers like us although every weekend at 3pm i do dislike them. the fact is my very own brother and other members of my family are blues yet the local rivalrie is always there for the derbys , although reds who are not scousers will understandibly not agree with this.

overall i have came to the conclusion that our main rivals are as follows
      1. manure
      2. blueshite
      3. chelski

simply because i hate manure , blueshite are historical and local rivalrie-always have been always will be, chelski as much as i dont like them the manager and there players are new and are nothing compared to LIVERPOOL FC and never will be in every aspect of the word.

Quick Reply