Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Biggest Rivals?

Man Utd
      206 (86.6%)
      Chelsea
      9 (3.8%)
      Everton
      23 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Biggest/Fiercest Rivals

Read 35252 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      Reply #253: Jan 12, 2011 02:49:53 pm
      I think a big difference in kind of foreign fans come from club/city image and values.

Don't know if it's true in other countries, but in France you'll find a lot of Liverpool fans in regions where working class still means something. In (ex-) industrial or mines region, the support for Liverpool is often several generations old, with fans also being supporters of local clubs whose model is Liverpool (in northern France, RC Lens and Lille are probably the clubs having the most supporters being also Liverpool fans, in the east Sochaux and St.Etienne, in the west Nantes, all sharing the same "clubs of the people" values coming from an industrial past).

United, is some kind of a complete opposite perceived as the club of the establishment, and here seem more supported in rich cities, dominated by political right and also having prestigious expensive teams. When I was student in Bordeaux I was the only Liverpool fan for 10 or so Mancs supporters I knew. And according to people I see in forums most french Manc fans are also supporting teams like Lyon or Paris SG, prestigious rich clubs built because local elites wanted one more than the result of a working class football tradition.

It's not necessarily fair, but I think what explains, more than success, Liverpool foreign popularity, is how this club is identified with the popular origins of football more than any other. While many other clubs share the same origins it seems only Liverpool succeeded to keep this culture alive despite becoming a rich established club.

Yo Tonio.

In France I do upset the locals.
      EG : Ill wear an All Black shirt for the Rugby World Cup...and because I like 'em.

There is an acceptance of certain things British being superior to France like TV for a start (!) and of course the higher ground of music.
      So there is a lot of association of Brittania ruling the world from the sixties (or did we ever go away ?)

You will find the nodding acknowledgement of greatness of Liverpool FC among the "grown ups" . However go to any summer resort and you will find the French kids with their out of date JVC Gooner Arse shirts because of the Wengers Nasris and Henrys.

Note to Fenway and Ian Ayres.
      Get that marketing ramped up and get some shirts sold on the continent.
      Im fed up of scowling at Manc kids. Theyre gonna bang me up for child abuse.
      Especially being Le Johnny Foreigner.

Tonio. Send me a PM.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #254: Jan 12, 2011 03:37:34 pm
      Yep Arsenal is by far the most popular english club in France now (and since the Henry era), and before it was ManU for Cantona. There are also a lot of Chelsea fans since they signed the Marseille hero Drogba. Liverpool is probably the less supported club of the big for in France, at least since 1985 (all France was behind Platini's Juve, and for the 10 or so years after, Liverpool was only a synonym of hooligans for our medias).

But like I said the particular thing with Liverpool support is it's not players or results dependant, more a traditionnal thing in regions having the same roots and football culture.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #255: Jan 12, 2011 06:17:51 pm
      So what your saying is i can call you a Scouse scum bag and its banter??

Yes Keith lad, that is banter. As is the arl favourites of "sign on". Banter stops at "murdering Scouse bas**rds" or "we've won it without killing anybody" and all the rest. That's not banter, that's sick and thankfully you seem decent enough not to use those terms. Plus you know you wouldn't last five seconds on here if you did.

If you're called a w**ker as a person, then I think it's out of order. But as you wasn't and it was United fans generally, I don't think it's too much to get wound up about.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #256: Jan 12, 2011 09:06:36 pm
      I get called a scouse scumbag every day at work, and i wouldn't have it any other way. I love the Rivalry with the Mancs, It is always good fun to gloat after a victory over them.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #257: Jan 12, 2011 10:07:05 pm
      ;D soon its going to be QPR or crystal palace if something isn't done !
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #258: Jan 13, 2011 01:38:12 am
      I get called a scouse scumbag every day at work, and i wouldn't have it any other way. I love the Rivalry with the Mancs, It is always good fun to gloat after a victory over them.
      Im not even English and I know the terms "Scouse Scum" and "Manc tw*t" are referring too Football.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #259: Jan 13, 2011 02:24:33 am
      That has been the norm for a while, you find most Liverpool supporters or supporters of other clubs bar United have more footballing knowledge about other teams and leagues as well. I live in South Africa, only been gone from liverpool a couple of years ago but from what I have seen 90% of the people I know who support football claim to support United, but when I speak to them just about the general state of current affairs in their team or just the league in general they actually don't know a bloody thing of what's going on. In my mind it was born off their supremacy in the ninety's, they are all so arrogant, they dont even know what their next fixture and they claim that they will win...
      Apologies for goin off topic
      It drives me mad...I dont mind talking too a Man U supporter If he is actually a Man U supporter. I dont find too many people here in Atlanta that like EPL or real "Football".  So when I go out too watch a match at times, I want to talk sh*t at the pub and watch a match with people who know the game and not just the 1 or 2 'Star" players.  I talked to some guy a while back who was wearing a Man U shirt and this was 2 months after Ronaldo left for Real Madrid....and I said something like " What are you guys going to do without Ronaldo?" and he said "Why Is he Injured"....This was right after the #1 Man U player, #1 player in the World, signed the biggest contract in the World for one of the Biggest Clubs in the World..."Is he Injured?"...Do you believe that sh*t?
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #260: Jan 13, 2011 03:26:07 am
      No more calling the Mancs tw*ts because we are hurting poor Keiths feelings.

This is first and foremost a Liverpool FC forum.

Keith, when you joined as a United fan you must have known the Mancs are gong to be called names here and there.

And we're not going to tip toe around because you think your above it due to donations.

End of.

exactly.

it's a Liverpool forum, not an United one.
      You've made donations, fair play, that does not excuse you from opinions. respect Liverpool fan's opininions, especially on their own forum.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #261: Jan 13, 2011 09:01:38 am
      It drives me mad...I dont mind talking too a Man U supporter If he is actually a Man U supporter. I dont find too many people here in Atlanta that like EPL or real "Football".  So when I go out too watch a match at times, I want to talk sh*t at the pub and watch a match with people who know the game and not just the 1 or 2 'Star" players.  I talked to some guy a while back who was wearing a Man U shirt and this was 2 months after Ronaldo left for Real Madrid....and I said something like " What are you guys going to do without Ronaldo?" and he said "Why Is he Injured"....This was right after the #1 Man U player, #1 player in the World, signed the biggest contract in the World for one of the Biggest Clubs in the World..."Is he Injured?"...Do you believe that sh*t?
      Really does not surprise me.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #262: Jan 13, 2011 05:21:20 pm

I talked with Manc too, i said "Why u are supporting ManU?" he answered "Because Ronaldo plays in there, he is my favourite player". When i told him that Ronaldo left ManU half years ago and went to Madrid he was really surprised and problably started support Madrid :D
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #263: Jan 14, 2011 01:35:09 pm
      eurored
      I understand your feelings towards Everton & Man Utd but keep in mind you are a local. In the most famous forum in the Arab World, for example, there was a thread written by Everton fans welcoming King Kenny. I know it sounds weird but LFC fans outside England now outnumber those inside by millions, and I doubt they hate Everton or Man Utd. We, as foreigners, will be silly to hate any team because we have no reason to do so, we are not equipped with the same cultural effect you have in Liverpool.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #264: Jan 15, 2011 07:07:22 am
      eurored
      I understand your feelings towards Everton & Man Utd but keep in mind you are a local. In the most famous forum in the Arab World, for example, there was a thread written by Everton fans welcoming King Kenny. I know it sounds weird but LFC fans outside England now outnumber those inside by millions, and I doubt they hate Everton or Man Utd. We, as foreigners, will be silly to hate any team because we have no reason to do so, we are not equipped with the same cultural effect you have in Liverpool.

I don't know any Everton fans, apart from brief meetings with some. Still hate the team though, thats part of being a fan in my opinion. You just learn to hate them.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #265: Jan 15, 2011 08:24:06 am
      eurored
      I'm from N.Ireland, we hate everyone, including ourelves ;D ;D
      I've supported Liverpool for 26 years, i've learned to hate the Bitters!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #266: Jan 15, 2011 03:40:55 pm
      eurored

Maybe you need to learn it's not just a cultural effect in Liverpool, it's the whole country and maybe one day when you do finally get to attend a game, you will not be shocked by the hate and aggressiveness shown towards our fans by fans of Everton and Man U and virtually every other English team that wants to refer to us Scousers as murderers, dolite scum and plenty of other abusive terms.

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #267: Jan 15, 2011 03:46:09 pm
      Everton.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #268: Jan 15, 2011 03:59:11 pm
      I think because the majority of my friends are United fans, I probably hate them more. I still understand the rivalry between Liverpool / Everton but because of my surroundings I think it's United.

Plus, their fans are dicks. A lot of Liverpool fans, including me, have family that support Everton so it's easier to hate United.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #269: Jan 15, 2011 04:49:36 pm
      I think the Everton/Liverpool matches and the Man U/ Man City matches are more for the regional supporters of Liverpool and Manchester. But Liverpool and Man U are bigger in terms of pure rivalry. Historically, Liverpool and Manchester were rivals in shipping, factory jobs, Import/Export etc... I think their is a natural rivalry between the cities and the Match is that all rolled into 90 minutes a few times a year.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #270: Jan 15, 2011 05:05:09 pm
      There is no greater rivalry than that of a family member , neighbour or work colleague. I wonder how many people who say Utd actually have to live and work amongst the blueshite .When they win they make life almost unbareable I understand the hatred of UTD but I just cant bare the thought of not winning tomorrow.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #271: Jan 15, 2011 05:13:30 pm
      There is no greater rivalry than that of a family member , neighbour or work colleague. I wonder how many people who say Utd actually have to live and work amongst the blueshite .When they win they make life almost unbareable I understand the hatred of UTD but I just cant bare the thought of not winning tomorrow.
      Try working with a load of Manc's!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #272: Jan 15, 2011 05:16:36 pm
      Can we add Blackpool to the vote?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #273: Jan 15, 2011 06:30:06 pm
      Can we add Blackpool to the vote?

:lmao:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #274: Jan 15, 2011 09:54:33 pm
      For me our biggest rivals have always been the mancs. Probably because of where I live (slightly nearer to manchester than Liverpool) I meet a lot more mancs and sadly even some of my friends are mancs. Even when the mancs were strugggling and Everton were doing well I still thought of the mancs as our biggest rivals.

Chelsea mean nothing to me. I dislike quite a few of their cheating players, but as a club...... nothing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #275: Jan 15, 2011 09:57:27 pm
      For me our biggest rivals have always been the mancs. Probably because of where I live (slightly nearer to manchester than Liverpool) I meet a lot more mancs and sadly even some of my friends are mancs. Even when the mancs were strugggling and Everton were doing well I still thought of the mancs as our biggest rivals.

Otherway around for me, mid 80s and I didn't give a toss about the mancs, yet it's funny because Liverpool fans didn't hate Everton the way we do now and vice-versa. Yet there was still plenty of trouble and violence at LFC/MUFC games.

Quick Reply