Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Biggest Rivals?

Man Utd
      206 (86.6%)
      Chelsea
      9 (3.8%)
      Everton
      23 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Biggest/Fiercest Rivals

Read 35251 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Re: Biggest/Fiercest Rivals
      Reply #276: Jan 15, 2011 10:32:36 pm
      Otherway around for me, mid 80s and I didn't give a toss about the mancs, yet it's funny because Liverpool fans didn't hate Everton the way we do now and vice-versa. Yet there was still plenty of trouble and violence at LFC/MUFC games.

It was the next generation (my generation) of Everton fans who grew up from birth being bitter though mate. That's where the hatred really came from.

United have always been envious of us because they'll never be Liverpool - club or city.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #277: Jan 24, 2011 09:21:55 am
      Yes Keith lad, that is banter. As is the arl favourites of "sign on". Banter stops at "murdering Scouse bas**rds" or "we've won it without killing anybody" and all the rest. That's not banter, that's sick and thankfully you seem decent enough not to use those terms. Plus you know you wouldn't last five seconds on here if you did.

If you're called a w**ker as a person, then I think it's out of order. But as you wasn't and it was United fans generally, I don't think it's too much to get wound up about.

Aye, it is a well known fact that the collective term for Mancs, is wa**s.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #278: Jan 24, 2011 10:55:35 am
      I'd say Manure, but theres nothing worse than the bitters beating us, since my brothers a bitter, and not really a good fan, one of the typical ones that support any team that play Liverpool.
      My brother-in-law is a manure fan and we have some good banter, but with my own bro, nothing like it, just raw hatred, which is funny for the most part, untill he, Being like me from Liverpool, surporting The bitters, Call us "Murdering Scousers".
      I dont think he knows where he's from
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #279: Jan 24, 2011 02:07:05 pm
      I'm really surprised how lopsided the numbers are between Everton & Man U. I thought it would be more evenly split.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #280: Jan 24, 2011 03:57:49 pm
      I'm really surprised how lopsided the numbers are between Everton & Man U. I thought it would be more evenly split.

Location and age has a lot to do with it mate. A lot of older Liverpool fans probably grew up when Everton were more of a threat but there was friendly banter, but with United there was still hated because they couldn't match us. Whereas younger fans grew up when Everton were a nothing side so discount them a great deal and now the hatred with United is as much about success as anything.

Plus the Merseyside derby isn't as hyped up around the world as Liverpool/United. Mainly because television companies know they're gonna get more viewing figures from Liverpool/United matches than the Derby matches - both Merseyside and Manchester.

Still Everton for me though even though I'm a younger lad growing up when Everton were nothing. I just hate them because their season is based around us. They wouldn't care about going down with only six points as long as those six points came against us. They have more anti-Liverpool songs than pro-Everton songs. United set their sets slightly higher than just beating us.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #281: Jan 24, 2011 04:12:53 pm
      ^ Spot on, that.

It's no surprise that many of my peers are Manchester United supporters because in the 1990s, Manchester United were pretty much the dominant English side. Since my peers are mostly around the 22 years old and below group, they, unsurprisingly, are mostly Manchester United fans, be it a die-hard or glory hunting one. And to also no surprise, I had two teachers in the late 20s that are Liverpool fans because they grew up around the 1980s era. So, that's the age factor playing a part.

Being an Asian nation and especially in a country where the football is piss poor, most fans are usually fans of the big teams and believe it or not, I don't know anyone who supports Everton. And to me, there's just this attitude of arrogance throughout my friends whom are Man United fans. They love to rub salt into your wounds when your team, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool is beaten and only complain when their team is beaten. I am not sure if watching only a big four team is considered 'glory hunting' because many of us started supporting a team because we've only heard of the big teams. For example, I've only heard of Man United and Liverpool when I starting playing football around 11. The only other team I actually supported before that was Argentina and that was because the World Cup was on in 1998. (I had a gap for 3 years!) That's the location factor.

Let me tell you an incident that happened a couple of years back. I was walking to my football field in a Liverpool top and a friend of mine, wearing a Man United shirt, said to me 'What a nice day to wear this shirt', holding the Man United crest on his shirt. I looked at him and never said anything. And, I spent that whole evening trying to make a fool out of him, letting my football do the talking :lmao: Oh my, did he get owned.

I truly understand why Everton is the biggest rival to some of you, especially youse growing up in Liverpool or nearby but it's has alayws been the Mancs for me and will always be the Mancs for me.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #282: Jan 30, 2011 10:24:47 am
      Chelsea may get a few more votes now  :f_steam:
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #283: Jan 30, 2011 10:51:17 am
      Still haven't dislodged the mancs or blueshite. But there big enough rivals that we should be telling them to F**k off no matter who they're after.
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #284: Jan 30, 2011 12:36:54 pm
      Chelsea still only a small club
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #285: Jan 30, 2011 12:48:05 pm
      Chelsea are a small club with money. They were finishing mid-table before that pr*ck of a Russian conman took them over.

Quick Reply