Trending Topics

Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance

Read 32770 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance
      Reply #299: Nov 05, 2009 07:04:30 pm
      My analysis of the game.

Well, we started a little edgy but  as the first half went on, we got into the game and looked really comfortable. We restricted Lyon to long range shots and on the other hand, created great ones enough for us to win the game but unfortunately, we couldn't convert.

First, Insua sends in a low cross which comes to Nando. Being in a crowded box and as the best striker in the world, he would definitely be closed down very quickly, Nando had to take it with his weaker foot. Sadly for us, he didn't connect it properly and Lloris made an easy save.

Next, another low cross from Insua came to Yossi which Dirk Kuyt suddenly gets to it quickly and tried a cheeky lob. Had the shot been a stronger one, Lloris would have needed to work more and who knows, we may have been 1-0 up.

Thirdly, a quick free kick from Agger(or was it Kyrgiakos?) sent Voronin through on goal with a vast amount of time and space, he decided to pass it to Lloris. It looked a similar position from which Torres scored against Man United and I'm convinced that, had it been Nando instead of Voronin, the ball would have been in the back of the net. He even tried many fancy stuffs and IMO, he shouldn't be playing for Liverpool.

I felt Mascherano and Lucas were brilliant last night. They were one of the reason or the only reason we dominated the game. Masch was fantastic and breaking up their attacks and Lucas, although was relatively quiet, he kept the ball moving and I don't remember him losing it at all. Fair play to both and great to see them being solid together in the middle of the pack. Lucas was unluckly not to score when he got that chance in the second half.

Then comes on Babel. Jekyll and Hyde. He scores a wonder goal to put us 1-nil up and the next few moments, he fluffs a free kick and doesn't hit the target from 6 yards out. I think the goal may have put his mind somewhere else.

Although we did not win, I think the lads did well in a difficult game in France. We controlled the game and were top everywhere. Most of the players showed that spirit, enthusiam, passion, determination and commitment. We went for it and almost pulled it off until a lack of concentration at the end, which seems to be happening pretty often now.

We are not out of Europe just yet. We can still make it but it's very difficult. We can do it, Liverpool style as long as Fiorentina does not beat Lyon. We can be glad with that performance shown by an understrenght Liverpool side and there's no better game than Birmingham to start our winning ways again.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #300: Nov 05, 2009 07:22:15 pm
      I honestly think Rafa needs to purchase Gaby Agbonlahor he is immense and would tear the bollix outta any centre half in Europe 15 million would do the job and if O' Neill plays hardball we throw him Riera and a few bob... He was interested in Riera before he moved to us... Imagine the pace of those torres and him up front Vidic wouldn't even turn up against us.... Also Gaby showed he can lead a line against Chavski and he gave Ricardo and JT a torrid time...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #301: Nov 05, 2009 07:48:07 pm
      We always buy second rate wingers.... remember Gonzales Pennent and funny enough you get second rate players
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #302: Nov 05, 2009 08:20:53 pm
      The thing that is annoying me right now is the money we will miss out on if we end up in the Europa cup will go to Manu/ Chelsea / arsenal , that's the way it works our money will be split 3 ways , oh how they must be laughing their bollocks off at LFC  .
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #303: Nov 05, 2009 08:55:25 pm
      Pennant fu**ed up his chances he actually was the most used player in 2006/07 but he is a tosser and blew it.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #304: Nov 05, 2009 09:17:41 pm
      We really need another striker with Torres upfront...lets just say Torres gets injured for 6 months who do we reley on? Voronin?
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #305: Nov 05, 2009 09:20:22 pm
      Firstly, we had a lot of chances to secure the win and where we should of done better, Torres chance, Voronin chance etc. Voronin personally shouldn't of started, I would of put Babel before him. Torres didn't look at his best but ofcourse he isn't fully fit. Lyon had one decent oppurtunity before they scored at the end to our 5/6 decent oppurtunities. They played for the draw and were in the end succesful, but I am truly gutted that we lost. Just when you think we are back from the bad form and bad luck, we get harshly punished at the death. For example, how lucky them jammy mancs were when Valencia struck it from the edge of the box and it was clearly going wide, but the ball decided to hit a defender and bounce in. Why can't we have that luck, its an absolute joke.Also, why did Aquilani travel with the squad to not play. Aquilani, one of our most creative players attacking wise and Rafa decided not to play him and start Voronin instead. WHY!?

Agger I thought had a great game. He was always looking sharp and had a few bursts up front. Kyriakos, is yet another example of a bad transfer, he did well at times but I felt he commit himself into challenges that he shouldn't of. Carragher had a few sparks up the right but was clumsy at times. Insua was out paced and out muscled at times and struggled to stop the attacks down the wing. Lucas had a fairly good stable game, but I suppose you would look stable being next to one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. Mascherano, for me was outstanding and my man of the match. Didn't see Kuyt at times, a usual Kuyt performance I feel, gave his all for the team. Benayoun, was our most creative player on the field as he always looked to play Torres in and a few decent flick ons. Voronin, shouldn't of started, had a chance to put the ball in the net, but decided to play it at the keeper's legs. Torres, didn't look himself but still was 10x better than Voronin. N'gog, came on too late to judge his performance, but I would of liked to see him start rather than Voronin. Babel, wonder strike that I thought won us the game, then we saw the usual-Babel when he hit the free-kick out for a throw in, haven't changed my opinion on Babel.

Anyway, lets move on from this performance. We are still capable of getting through the group, if Lyon win against Fiorentina and we beat Debrecen, then if we beat Fiorentina, we qualify. However, if Lyon draw against Fiorentina, and we beat Debrecen, then we need to beat Fiorentina by 3 goals because they beat us by 2 goals at their ground. Still possible. Still believe.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #306: Nov 05, 2009 11:39:03 pm
      My mate (a big Palace fan) reckons Vronin would'nt get a game at C.P.D'yer know what I had to agree with him.!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #307: Nov 06, 2009 12:59:05 am
      Voronin couldn't score with Rooneys grannie with a fiver hanging out his arse
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #308: Nov 06, 2009 11:21:58 am
      Just with regards to this result.

I'm fairly sure that even if we had beaten Lyon and Fiorentina beat Lyon next game it is probable that Liverpool would have gone out.

I haven't got time to explain the full workings but their 2-1 would have been better than our 1-0 and even if they are classed as the same they have a much better goal difference.

Just something worth bearing in mind.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #309: Nov 06, 2009 11:59:42 am
      Well, we are out as long as Fiorentina beats Lyon even if we beat Fiorentina and Debrecen.

The table would look like Fiorentina 13, Lyon 10, Liverpool 10 and Debrecen whatever points.
      Even if we have a better goal difference (i.e. we go on rampage against Debrecen and Fiorentina), Lyon would beat us to 2nd spot because they beat us 2-1 at Anfield and drew 1-1 in France. So there's like a mini table between us and Lyon which looks like this right now Lyon 4, Liverpool 1.

Let me just TRY to break it up to those who might not understand.

So, we can only qualify depending on the Lyon-Fiorentina game and provided we beat Debrecen

Fiorentina win
      We are definitely out

Fiorentina draw
      (After Lyon-Fiorentina but before Liverpool-Fiorentina)
      Lyon 11
      Fiorentina 10
      Liverpool 7
      Debrecen ??

If we win
      Lyon 14
      Liverpool 10
      Fiorentina 10
      Debrecen ??

However, we will only qualify if we win 3-0 or any win with a 3 goal margin (4-1,5-2, etc). If we win 2-0, our goal difference and Fiorentina's would be looked at.

Fiorentina lose
      (After Lyon-Fiorentina but before Liverpool-Fiorentina)
      Lyon 13
      Fiorentina 9
      Liverpool 7
      Debrecen ??

If we win
      Lyon 16
      Liverpool 10
      Fiorentina 9
      Debrecen ??

If Fiorentina loses to Lyon, we just need to beat them with any margin.

Quick Reply