Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Extra time away goals

Read 6932 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Extra time away goals
      Reply #46: Apr 30, 2010 08:01:53 pm
      If Benayuon's offside "goal" in the first match hadn't been wrongly ruled out, there wouldn't have been extra time in the first place!!
      OptimusRobbo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 161 posts |
      Reply #47: Apr 30, 2010 11:34:21 pm
      I like the away goal ruling but i personally think when a game enters extra time there shouldnt be a away goal ruling, now im not saying this because we went out i did have a debate over XBL on this one with loads of football fans before the game and they agree.
      Shakesy
      • Forum Paul Ince
      • Started Topic

• 81 posts |
      Reply #48: Apr 30, 2010 11:38:26 pm
      I suppose you're right that being at home does count for something if you look at the stats, but personally I'd definitely rather play the second leg away over the home advantage with this rule in place.

Even one of my bitter mates agreed on it, and god he hates liverpool.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #49: Apr 30, 2010 11:44:20 pm
      Those extra 30 mins are STILL a home advantage for 1 team.
      Only way this would be fair then is to lob both sets of fans into busses after 90 mins, race over to Manchester or up the road to goodison and continue the game there.

Still feels unfair today tho, doesn't it?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6695 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #50: Apr 30, 2010 11:45:02 pm
      It's done now, just let it go along with the rest of our season.................. :'(

Agreed. Can't do much about it now.

It's just been the story of our miserable season. We kept getting kicked in the guts throughout the season. I'm expecting one more kick in the guts before the season ends, I feel defeated.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #51: May 01, 2010 11:24:09 am
      Those extra 30 mins are STILL a home advantage for 1 team.
      Only way this would be fair then is to lob both sets of fans into busses after 90 mins, race over to Manchester or up the road to goodison and continue the game there.

Still feels unfair today tho, doesn't it?

They should scrap the way goal rule if it goes to extra time but if they cant do that then bring in the golden goal rule again because it is a shambles that away goal still counts in extra time when that team obviously doesn't deserve to have that advantage if they lost the 2nd leg.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #52: May 01, 2010 12:58:02 pm
      I understand the theory of everyones complaint about the away goal being scored in extra time however this rule has been in force in European football for as long as I can remember. 

We mastered the tactics of getting away goals back in Shanklys days, that's how we have been so successful in Europe.  This season it's been our downfall.  We failed to get the away goals in nearly all of our European games hence our early exit from the CL and now the EL.

I'm afraid this smacks of sour grapes and that is very unbecoming of Liverpool fans, we are renowned for showing dignity in defeat.

The failure was in Madrid not because of this rule. 
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #53: May 01, 2010 11:52:49 pm
      I understand the theory of everyones complaint about the away goal being scored in extra time however this rule has been in force in European football for as long as I can remember. 

We mastered the tactics of getting away goals back in Shanklys days, that's how we have been so successful in Europe.  This season it's been our downfall.  We failed to get the away goals in nearly all of our European games hence our early exit from the CL and now the EL.

I'm afraid this smacks of sour grapes and that is very unbecoming of Liverpool fans, we are renowned for showing dignity in defeat.

The failure was in Madrid not because of this rule. 

I don't think anyone is complaining about the away goal rule. I myself love it, think its a great idea and promotes an attacking approach away from home. My issue is the extra 30 minutes a team gets to score such a crucial away goal. That extra time often sees concentration lapses due to tiredness, and i hate that a lapse like that cost us so crucially after we had done a great job in getting a match winning lead. It aint sour grapes, and i will stand by this view even if it comes to us getting through like this in the future. I will still think its a little unfair, it just doesn't seem right. Extra time is played to decide the entire tie, not just that home game. It may be played at one teams home, but hey thats the advantage they were given through seeding.

Moving on, im not that distressed by it. Just don't like it.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #54: May 02, 2010 12:16:01 am
      The rule is perfectly okay. Nothing wrong with it.
      No more further discussion needed.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: May 02, 2010 12:17:59 am
      The rule is unfair.

But playing at Anfield on a European night, whatever the rule, we should qualify. Thats the European Law when you are in Anfield territory on a European night.
      predSJUUUUK
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #56: May 02, 2010 12:19:31 am
      The rule should last for 90 minutes just like it did at Athletico imo.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #57: May 02, 2010 12:22:16 am
      The rule is unfair.

But playing at Anfield on a European night, whatever the rule, we should qualify. Thats the European Law when you are in Anfield territory on a European night.

Of course, the logic says that when you play at home you have an advantage because you have 10 - 30 times more supporters on your side. At Anfield, it is possibly even more affecting the opponents.

Quick Reply