Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Pre Match: Liverpool v Birmingham City (EPL 9/11/09 8pm)

Read 12761 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Birmingham City (EPL 9/11/09 8pm)
      Reply #23: Nov 08, 2009 12:57:12 am
      Aquilani will start ... hopefully.

He doesn't have the match fitness for Rafa. I think he will feature though
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #24: Nov 08, 2009 02:23:07 am
      Althought this is a must win game... I dont think we need the services of Gerrard and Torres in this game.. We have enough quality to even batter these lot.

3 points is all im asking for rather than a beating. But we deserve a good free-scoring performance dont we?

........................ ....Reina............... ............

Johnson/Kelly ... Sotis.......Agger....... ...Insua

......................Lu cas.......Masch......... ........

Kuyt...................B enny.................... Babel

........................ ..Ngog.................. ..........
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 61 
      Reply #25: Nov 08, 2009 08:19:30 am
      Well said

Just been listening to Fields of Anfield Road with tears in my eyes. That song should be played in the dressing room before every game to remind whichever 11 are playing what traditions they're carrying forward, and the importance of not just what, but who they are playing for.

Justice for the 96.

You'll Never Walk Alone.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #26: Nov 08, 2009 08:57:11 am
      Really looking forward to this match.

Trying to look at things positively, despite our run of horrible losses, we're not in too bad a position.

Currently 7th in the table, we can already jump back up to at least 5th above Spurs and Villa as they have played one more game than us. Not only that, either Chelsea or Man Utd will drop points today, hopefully both if they draw. And Man City also slipped up yesterday against Burnley.

A good opportunity to install a bit of confidence back in the lads before the International break, a period during which I'm very hopeful many of stars will get back to full fitness.

Our season can get right back on track, starting tomorrow! YNWA
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #27: Nov 08, 2009 08:59:32 am
      Well I'm hoping for a draw between Scum and the Chavs. And if we win tomorrow we can cut 2 points on both of them.

They've not disappeared into sight yet, what we can do is keep pushing them.

Don't fraught, a bad month is over and we are still in a good position. I'm always an optismistic guy, I will believe in the reds till it's over and mathematically impossible.

No Carra, no fear. Let's take it to them.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #28: Nov 08, 2009 09:05:03 am
      Seems like it's been age's since we last played can't wait for tomorrow take my seat and watch us do some damage!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Nov 08, 2009 09:10:59 am
      It's been ages since we won :(

Well, think that Aquilani is going to get perhaps a 30 minute run out tomorrow. Might be a good time to fit him in, and then go off for the break and get a few minutes under his belt.

Hopeful that the players pull up their socks for the game tomorrow because it's gonna be crucial. If we can't get the 3 points then I'll be very much speechless considering the desperate situation we find ourselves in now.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #30: Nov 08, 2009 09:30:30 am
      I think we will get the 3 points and I also think Aquilani will play a part in the game and the lads will play with a lot of passion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Nov 08, 2009 09:53:14 am
       Liverpool v Birmingham Stat Attack

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/features/stats/FS15267091108-0833.htm

Liverpool v Birmingham Stat Attack

Here are all the relevant facts and stats ahead of our Barclays Premier League encounter with Birmingham City at Anfield from resident statto Ged Rea.

# League Record:

At Anfield: Liverpool 31 wins, Birmingham 7 wins, Draws 10.

Overall: Liverpool 46 wins, Birmingham 28 wins, Draws 22.

# The last Premier League meeting saw the teams draw 2-2 at St Andrews in April 2008. Peter Crouch and Yossi Benayoun scored after the Reds had fallen two goals behind thanks to Mikael Forssell and Sebastian Larsson.

# Liverpool and Birmingham played out a goalless draw the last time they met at Anfield in September 2007.

# The Reds' last win over Birmingham came in May 2004 when goals from Michael Owen, Emile Heskey and Steven Gerrard secured a 3-0 win.

# Each of the last four league meetings between the teams has ended in a draw - the only time this has happened in the fixture.

# In the Premier League home and away Liverpool have won only two of the 10 meetings drawing five and losing three. Those two victories came in 2003-04.

# The Reds have only failed to score against City at Anfield twice in the last 87 years.

# Liverpool have lost only nine times in the last 50 League games but one of those defeats was 9-1 at St Andrews in 1954-55-that is still Liverpool's biggest ever loss.

# The 0-0 draw in the game at Anfield two seasons ago was the first goalless meeting on Merseyside between the teams since April 1931.

# Liverpool's biggest home win over Birmingham came in April 1986 when the Reds won 5-0 with Gary Gillespie scoring a hat-trick.

# Liverpool have had as many players red-carded in the last two Premier League games, (3), as they did in the previous three and a half years.

# Fernando Torres has scored 34 league goals at Anfield in his 35 appearances including six in five games this season.

# Daniel Agger made his Liverpool debut against Birmingham in February 2006.

# Ryan Babel has now scored 12 goals for Liverpool as a substitute. Only David Fairclough (18) has come off the bench to score more for the club.

# Birmingham are the only team that Liverpool have failed to beat in the Premier League under Rafa Benitez.

# Four Liverpool players have scored League hat-tricks against Birmingham - Gary Gillespie (1986), John Toshack (1975), Gordon Hodgson (1934) and Harry Chambers (1923).

# Birmingham are unbeaten against Liverpool in the last six league games.

# They came up last season finishing second behind Wolves losing only once in the last 11 league games.

# This is City's sixth season of Premier League football. They have previously finished 13th, 10th, 12th, 18th and 19th.

# Alex McLeish will celebrate two years in charge at St Andrews at the end of this month. He played on this ground for Aberdeen in a European Cup tie 29 years ago, almost to the day, and was on the end of a 4-0 defeat.

# Since October 1929 Birmingham have kept only two clean sheets in 31 league fixtures on this ground. They have both come in the last three visits.

# Only two of the previous 96 league meetings between the sides have been played outside of the top-flight.

# City have won three of their last 36 away games in the top-flight. This season they have lost four out of five on the road but managed a 1-0 victory at Hull in September with Garry O'Connor scoring the only goal of the game.

# Seven of Birmingham's 10 goals in all competitions this season have been scored from the 75th minute onwards but they have yet to open their account in the opening 36 minutes of any match.

# They have scored eight league goals this season. Of all the teams in England only Darlington (League Two) have scored fewer - 7.

# They have scored only twice in the first half of any game this season and not before the 37th minute.

# Their last win (against Sunderland) a fortnight ago is the only time this season Birmingham have scored more than once in a league game.

# Their three league wins have come against Portsmouth home, Hull away and Sunderland at home - all by the odd goal.

# City's last win here came in November 2004 when Darren Anderton scored the only goal in the 77th minute. It is their only victory at Anfield since 1978.

# They have lost just one of the last five visits. That came in November 2003 when Mikael Forssell's opener prompted Reds goals from Steven Gerrard (penalty), Harry Kewell and Emile Heskey.

# Birmingham will equal their best ever run at Anfield of four successive unbeaten visits if they avoid defeat tonight.

# The last Birmingham player to score a hat-trick against the Reds was Eddie Brown in a 9-1 win in September 1954.

# Birmingham's biggest win here came in January 1904 when they won 2-0.

# Scorers this season (league in brackets):

Liverpool: Torres 10 (10), Benayoun 4 (3), Kuyt 4 (3), Babel 3 (2), Gerrard 3 (3), Ngog 3 (2), Johnson 2 (2), Insua 1 (0).

Birmingham: Bowyer 3 (2), McFadden 2 (2), Carsley 1 (0), Larsson 1 (1), O'Connor 1 (1), Phillips 1 (1), Ridgewell 1 (1). 

Fully expect to take nothing less than three points and a returning to winning ways from this one, 3-0 to the mighty Reds, Come on Red men YNWA
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #32: Nov 08, 2009 11:45:25 am
      Liverpool have not beaten Birmingham City in their last six league meetings, losing two and drawing four in the process.

The Reds' last victory over the Blues was in a 7-0 FA Cup victory at St Andrew's in March 2006.

Birmingham's last league defeat to Liverpool came in 3-0 home loss on May 8th 2004.

Liverpool

Liverpool have been beaten in five of their eleven league matches this season.

Rafa Benitez's men have accumulated 8 points less this term than they had at this stage last season.

On the plus side Liverpool have won each of their last three Premier League home matches scoring twelve goals along the way.

Birmingham City

Birmingham have managed the least amount of Premier League goals this season with just eight shots hitting the back of the net.

Alex McLeish's side have 11 points from 11 games. If they continue that average they will accumulate 38 points by the end of the season. Last season Newcastle were relegated from the top-flight after finishing in 18th place with just 34 points.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Liverpool

Torres: 10 goals (10 league)

Birmingham City

Bowyer: 3 goals (2 league)

MOST RECENT CLASH

Birmingham 2-2 Liverpool (26 April 2008)

-----------------------------

Haven't had a very good history against Birmingham, hopefully we can beat these with ease but I am expecting a tough game.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #33: Nov 08, 2009 11:53:56 am
      Don't forget lads, I'm going. So we're bound to win.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #34: Nov 08, 2009 02:16:43 pm
      Think babel should star this one. Play him up in strike. He seems to have good chemisty with kuyt but I think benayoun would be a better player in the hole. Ecclestone should get a run out as well. I don't want to see Torres or Gerrard on the team sheet. They need to fully recover from their injuries, and franky if we can't beat birmingham City without them then theres a serious problem.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #35: Nov 08, 2009 03:53:10 pm
      For some reason, i am really really looking forward to this match. Maybe its cause i expect a backlash from the lads in red. I think we have to play our strongest team possible. Therefore, i wouldn't play Babel as i think hes just not quite their yet. I am looking forward to seeing a bit of Aquilani, even if it is only a cameo appearence. He has really impressed me so far with what we have seen of him. Come on Liverpool!
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #36: Nov 08, 2009 04:43:51 pm
      Can we win this one please Mr Benitez ?
      xI FoWLeR Ix
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #37: Nov 08, 2009 04:45:56 pm
      Yeh i agree. We need to see some of our less recognised players pulling out all the stops and winning these games for us like Babel showed us what he can do on wednesday. C'mon the REDS
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #38: Nov 08, 2009 05:00:09 pm
      I'm really looking forward to this, it is a huge game for us. It has the potential to just end all the negative results and get back to winning ways.

Anyone else going?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39: Nov 08, 2009 05:40:40 pm
      Another 7-0? (or was it 7-1?)

Either way, lets tw*t 'em again.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Nov 08, 2009 05:40:57 pm
      -----------------------reina---------------------

---johnson----skrtel---agger----insua----

--------------------yaya toure----------------

------aquillani------------------gerrard------

--de federico-----------------d. silva-------

--------------------torres-----------------------

Mushrooms mate.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #41: Nov 08, 2009 05:56:58 pm
      We've done ok in the league at home so far.  I can't remember if I went for a 3-0 or a 3-1.  Think it was 3-0 ???  Hopefully most of our walking wounded will be back.  And I really hope Aquilani gets a run out at some point.  Looking forward to tomorrow night now.  Come on you Reds!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #42: Nov 08, 2009 05:58:55 pm
      Aquilani poised for Anfield debut

November 8, 2009

Alberto Aquilani will make his first apperance in a Liverpool shirt at Anfield against Birmingham City on Monday night.

The Italian midfielder has been recovering from injury since his move from Roma in August and has already made his debut as a substitute against Arsenal in the Carling Cup last week.

Benitez said: “It could be the time to let the Anfield fans see Aquilani at last.

“He has been getting fitter and had a short spell in a reserve game and then a few minutes at Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

“We had him with us in Lyon last week and I did want to bring him on. But Lucas and Javier Mascherano were controlling the game.

“So we waited a bit, we did not want to change they way the side were playing, even though he could have come on. Then we scored and there was no need to use him, it was just a shame we conceded so late.

“He was almost over the virus and he will certainly be much better on Monday.

“He has trained well. He does not have match fitness, but the only way to improve that is to play him in games.

“We have more players available now, so maybe he can be on the bench and then come on to change the game if necessary. He will certainly be involved.”

http://lfcglobe.com/aquilani-poised-for-anfield-debut/
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #43: Nov 08, 2009 05:59:40 pm
      We haven't got a good record against the Brummies so I hope our run of poor luck changes as of tomorrow night!!
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #44: Nov 08, 2009 06:22:14 pm
      Expecting a line-up something like this:

Reina

Degen - Carragher - Agger - Aurelio

Kuyt - Mascherano - Lucas - Benayoun

Aquilani
                               Torres

EDIT: Forgot about the bans.

Degen - Johnson
      Carragher - Skrtel

If they aren't injured.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #45: Nov 08, 2009 06:23:07 pm
      Witto Carra has a 1 match ban!

Quick Reply