Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre Match: Liverpool v Birmingham City (EPL 9/11/09 8pm)

Read 12839 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Birmingham City (EPL 9/11/09 8pm)
      Reply #138: Nov 09, 2009 04:54:46 pm
      My train to Lime Street leaves in an hour and gets there at 7.35pm.

Walk or taxi?

I wouldn't dick about if I were you.  I'd start making tracks now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #139: Nov 09, 2009 04:55:40 pm
      Visibility must be about 50ft in Stoke-on-Trent, hope it doesn't get that bad up there or there's no chance of playing

This is how bad it is - the missus got home from work about 10 minutes ago and I've only just realised.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #140: Nov 09, 2009 04:56:19 pm
      It's not too bad here. Should be fine. And they said it'll be gone by 9pm completely.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,507 posts | 2871 
      Reply #141: Nov 09, 2009 04:56:56 pm
      BBC Weather reporting "Very poor" visibility at 6pm, which turns to "poor" at 9.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #142: Nov 09, 2009 04:58:14 pm
      This is how bad it is - the missus got home from work about 10 minutes ago and I've only just realised.

:lmao:!!

That didn't half make me giggle!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #143: Nov 09, 2009 04:58:39 pm
      If this game is abandoned you're getting a custom title of 'Michael Fish'.
      Isn't he most famous for getting the forcast WRONG?
      Quote from Michael Fish
      "Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!".
      Just before the great storm of 1987
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,507 posts | 2871 
      Reply #144: Nov 09, 2009 04:58:59 pm
      I wouldn't dick about if I were you.  I'd start making tracks now.

In the taxi already! ;)

The half five one is my only direct option so I'm relying on that.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #145: Nov 09, 2009 04:59:04 pm
      sh** its bad outside and am leavin soon
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #146: Nov 09, 2009 04:59:46 pm
      My train to Lime Street leaves in an hour and gets there at 7.35pm.

Walk or taxi?
      Its uphill all the way from Limestreet get a taxi and get your vocal chords warmed up you dont want any injuries prior to the game.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #147: Nov 09, 2009 04:59:57 pm

Lmao ...seems like an every day occurrence for me, sometimes i just need to lift my head away from the lap top screen.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #148: Nov 09, 2009 05:03:29 pm
      Aqualani wont get match fit playing 20 mins.
      Riena.Johnson,Carragher,Agger,Aurelio, Kuyt,Mascherano,Aqualani,Riera,Gerrard,Torres.I just hope they are all fit it would be nice to see a full strength side.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #149: Nov 09, 2009 05:04:27 pm
      Aqualani wont get match fit playing 20 mins.
      Riena.Johnson,Carragher,Agger,Aurelio, Kuyt,Mascherano,Aqualani,Riera,Gerrard,Torres.I just hope they are all fit it would be nice to see a full strength side.

Aquilani might though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #150: Nov 09, 2009 05:07:21 pm
      If this game is abandoned you're getting a custom title of 'Michael Fish'.

;) Like it. Still reckon it'll be fine though.
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #151: Nov 09, 2009 05:11:55 pm
      Angry Reds ready to recover

Liverpool gaffer Rafa Benitez says his beleaguered players are 'angry' and determined to bounce back from their dreadful start to the season.

They will get a chance to start that process on Monday evening when they face Birmingham in a crucial Premier League match at Anfield.

Liverpool need to win to start to get their season back on track after a spell of just one victory in eight matches in all competitions.

And Benitez fully understands the frustration expressed by goalkeeper Jose Reina after last week's 1-1 draw in Lyon, when the Spanish shot-stopper said it was a disgrace the club were struggling to qualify for the Champions League last 16.

Benitez said: "Everyone here, every fan, every player, wants to see the team doing better.

"I have confidence we will improve. Winning a couple of games in a row will boost everyone's confidence.

"Pepe Reina has been very disappointed with what has happened in the Champions League, and said so. But he has a very positive mentality, we both agree.

"We are not stupid, we know we can improve. But we have trained well since we returned from Lyon with Fabio Aurelio, Glen Johnson and Albert Riera all back and working. I could see the difference in the mood of the squad."

He added: "They want to play, to be ready and to help in the situation we are in. People have been angry, and they want to change our position.

"It is all about getting a good win. And when your backs are against the wall, you play better and fight better.

"We now must show confidence in our team, our staff, and work harder.

"The finances are being questioned. But I am assured that we did not budget for a last 16 place this season, only to reach the group stages.

"The problem will come next season if we cannot arrest this situation. But the commercial department is earning us more money and the position of the club is very healthy.

"But if we do get into the top four it will be easier. But we are not desperate, I can guarantee we are in a good position and will be in a better position."

Benitez is likely to include £20million Italy international Alberto Aquilani in a home squad for the first time, and expects to have Aurelio, Martin Skrtel and Riera back after injuries.

Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard will have late fitness tests on groin injuries, with the Spanish striker the most likely to play.

Benitez said: "It could be the time to let the Anfield fans see Aquilani at last.

"He has trained well. He does not have match fitness, but the only way to improve that is to play him in games.

"We have more players available now, so maybe he can be on the bench and then come on to change the game if necessary. He will certainly be involved."

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/10342346/Angry-Reds-ready-to-recover---Rafa

I hope our squad is recovered and angry.  Ready to unleash hell on Birmingham    ;D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #152: Nov 09, 2009 05:13:16 pm
      ^ Wasn't it the great philosopher Yoda who said 'Anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering'.

Wise words.

Hope Birmingham suffer tonight.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #153: Nov 09, 2009 05:13:36 pm
      I'm gonna be wrapped up like a mummy tonight. I'm gonna look like I'm going to a grotto, never mind the game! ')
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #154: Nov 09, 2009 05:14:43 pm
      ^ Wasn't it the great philosopher Yoda who said 'Anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering'.

Wise words.

Hope Birmingham suffer tonight.

Haha nicely done JD!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #155: Nov 09, 2009 05:15:17 pm
      Yeah, I think I might wear a coat myself tonight.

Wise words on regarding the anger. Let's keep it professional lads. Be determined and confident.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #156: Nov 09, 2009 05:15:35 pm
      Rafa and Stevie on tonights game

Rafa and Stevie on tonights game

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166403091109-1559.htm

Ahead of tonight's Anfield clash with Birmingham City Rafael Benitez and Steven Gerrard have given their thoughts to the official matchday programme. Read it now online.

Rafael Benitez

After the disappointment of the game at Fulham, I was very pleased with the reaction of the players in Lyon on Wednesday.

Of course it was frustrating to concede a goal so late on because I thought we deserved to win the game as the team showed their character, created chances and played well.

Clearly it is difficult for us to qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Champions League, but not impossible. We have to win our game in Debrecen and see what happens in the game with Fiorentina and Lyon. We have a chance and the main thing is to play well against Debrecen and then see what the situation is for our last match.

The players realise that if they work as hard as they did in France they will win matches. We need to reach those levels tonight as we welcome Birmingham City to Anfield. We need to start playing well again in the Barclays Premier League and three points is especially important tonight after the Fulham game.

That was a particularly frustrating match as I thought we were really unfortunate not to be ahead at half-time as we were in complete control of the game. But in the second half we made too many mistakes and we paid for them.

Now we have to produce a positive response, make sure we can get a victory and look to take things forward from there.

That will be tough against Birmingham City, who have proved a difficult team for us to beat in the league during recent seasons.

Although we have had some good results against them in the cups, we have had a difficult time in the league and drawn our last two home matches against them. We know that we have to improve on that record but every year is different.

Birmingham have different players and a different manager from the last time we met here so hopefully the result can be different as well.

As against any Barclays Premier League team it will be tough because Birmingham work hard for each other and they also have a good manager in Alex McLeish, who has plenty of experience, including managing at international level.

I thought they were unlucky not to win against Manchester City last weekend and that underlines the size of our task this evening.

Everybody knows about our injury problems at the moment and, although we do not use that as an excuse, I cannot ever remember a time in my managerial career when so many players have been unavailable.

We had a lot of injuries but then also had players affected by a virus. Both came together so it has been a difficult time but we have to try to manage with the players that we have.

Playing on a Monday night is a little unusual but maybe it will be good for us as it will give more time for one or two players to become available which will help because at this moment we do not have too many options.

In our last home game against Manchester United, we played really well. The atmosphere was fantastic and the relationship between the fans and the players really shone through. We need to try and maintain that momentum by showing the same mentality and intensity on and off the pitch.

It is always difficult for fans when the team is not winning but they know the only way to help turn that around at any club, and especially this one, is to keep pushing and supporting the players and then it will be easier for them to perform.

Earlier in the season, we put together a good run of six successive wins and our idea now is to get back to that kind of sequence.

We need to be positive and if we can put together a row of wins, it will be easier for the players as winning always breeds confidence to keep playing well.

Steven Gerrard

LIKE everyone else I was devastated by how the game in Lyon ended on Wednesday night.

The lads played so well, took the lead and definitely deserved the three points. So to concede an equaliser at that late stage was a real blow. It actually felt like a defeat for us because we obviously wanted the three points.

It means that our job of qualifying for the last 16 won't be easy. We need Lyon to do us a favour, while we have to go to Hungary and get a win.

If that happens then it all boils down to the last game. We've been in that situation before and can take plenty of inspiration from how we've come through it in the past against Olympiacos in 2004 and Marseille two years ago. I believe we can do it again.

Over the two games with Lyon, late goals have really cost us dearly. That's something we've got to make sure doesn't happen again this season. However, we can take a lot of heart from the display in France.

It was encouraging to see the lads control the majority of the match against a decent side away from home and create plenty of opportunities. Now we've got to do the same again tonight against Birmingham City.

At the time of writing these notes I'm still not sure if I'll be involved. Obviously I desperately want to play and help the lads because the last thing you want as a player is to be missing games, especially when we've had a few defeats.

It's been a frustrating three weeks for me but whether I take part or not, it won't be an easy match for us.

I watched Alex McLeish's team against Man City last weekend and thought they performed well, made life tough for the opposition and would have won, only for a great penalty save by Shay Given.

So that performance and result will certainly give them a lot of confidence coming to Anfield.

They've been doing well since getting back into the Premier League. Nobody's hammered them and they've been tough to beat.

The likes of Christian Benitez, James McFadden and Kevin Phillips coming off the bench can cause problems for the opposition if you give them any time or space.

We know what to expect; they'll be well organised and keep things tight. We've got to match them and convert our chances when they come along. If we perform like we did against Lyon then I'm confident we'll get the victory.

That would give us a huge boost going into the international break. The last time we all went away with our countries we'd just lost at Stamford Bridge and it's not a good feeling to have to wait so long for the next Liverpool game and a chance to put things right. We don't want that to happen this time.

Chelsea entertained Manchester United yesterday and that's a match I was keeping an eye on. They're our rivals and we don't want them getting any further ahead than they already are.

That's why it's so important to take the three points tonight.

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #157: Nov 09, 2009 05:15:48 pm
      Rafa to make a late decision on Gerrard? I don't see the point, in a game against a lame team we're risking (maybe) our captain during injury :S
      xI FoWLeR Ix
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #158: Nov 09, 2009 05:16:04 pm
      I've heard Torres and Gerrard are Out!!!!!!!!!!!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #159: Nov 09, 2009 05:16:37 pm

Hope it aint called off, looking like it should be alright though.

Just remembered knob head (Barry Ferguson) is suspended for this one isn't he.

They could take some breaking down tonight. Need to keep focused.

Come on you Reds!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #160: Nov 09, 2009 05:28:18 pm
      Well if Gerrard IS out, who's going to be captain?

Quick Reply