Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Injury Update...

Read 11062 times
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Injury Update...
      Nov 12, 2009 06:03:36 pm
      Rafael Benitez has today brought us up to date with the very latest news from the treatment room at Melwood. 
      With some players sustaining new injuries during Monday night's draw with Birmingham and with others on the road to recovery after earlier setbacks, the medical staff are among the busiest people at the club right now as they look to provide the boss with as many players as possible for our next game against Manchester City in ten days time.

Here's what Rafa told Liverpoolfc.tv earlier today.

"Both Yossi Benayoun and Albert Riera have muscle problems and will be out for three to four weeks. It depends on each player, but for Riera this is the second time with this injury.

"We will have to wait and see how they progress but hopefully in three weeks they could be available.

"We are disappointed because there are too many things at the moment that we can't change. Both players are wingers as well and for them to be out at the same time is bad news for us.

"Daniel Agger felt something in his back after the Birmingham game and didn't go with Denmark after we spoke with their doctor and manager. I think he could be back training again in a few days.

"Glen Johnson's was a strange situation because he finished the game on Monday and then travelled to London to be with England. He felt something in his hamstring and came back to us for a scan. Hopefully it's not too serious and he could be available again in a week.

"With Fernando Torres we are talking about two or three weeks of treatment and working with the physios. I was talking with him this morning and he is doing well. Hopefully he can be running in a few days and we will see how he progresses.

"It was good to have Steven Gerrard back on Monday night. He is feeling okay and should be training fully with the other players we have here in a few days.

"Sometimes a break comes at a bad time because you don't like to see your players flying all over the world, but this time it gives us a chance to get some players back." 

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166452091112-1312.htm
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Re: Injury Update...
      Reply #1: Nov 12, 2009 06:15:57 pm
      Last year, after Yossi got back from injury, he played his best EVER, let's hope for the same thing.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Nov 12, 2009 06:20:47 pm
      At least good news on Stevie, the rest is very sad. Can not believe the crisis we have at the moment. Any club would be seriously shaken with this kind of thing happening.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #3: Nov 12, 2009 06:29:09 pm
      sort of get the feeling certain players have been rushed back especially with players having recurrences of heir old injury's.i am losing confidence in the medical team.i may be over reacting but i don think his many injury's are down to coincidence.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4: Nov 12, 2009 06:34:12 pm
      We've been plagued all season even our untried new signing is injured - this could be a glimmer of better fortune for us here's hoping.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Nov 12, 2009 06:37:40 pm
      sort of get the feeling certain players have been rushed back especially with players having recurrences of heir old injury's.I am losing confidence in the medical team.I may be over reacting but I don think his many injury's are down to coincidence.

Stevie and Torres were both on International duty. There's ya coincidence ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #6: Nov 12, 2009 07:22:05 pm
      Stevie and Torres were both on International duty. There's ya coincidence ;)
      Is correct.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Nov 12, 2009 08:23:16 pm

Damn right as well. F*cking pointless friendlies.

Stay at home gents. Lash the telly on and get those feet up. Get yourselves ready for some proper footy.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Nov 12, 2009 08:27:52 pm
      Wish we could turn the clock back and start this season all over again....without all the bad luck and injuries that we've had.

It can't go on much longer, surely.  ::)
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #9: Nov 12, 2009 08:52:48 pm
      Thing is, with so many players missing some are ought to be rushed back sooner or later.
      TheLando618
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #10: Nov 12, 2009 08:56:18 pm
      Anybody know the status of Aurelio?
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #11: Nov 12, 2009 09:23:38 pm
      Anybody know the status of Aurelio?

proberly got hacked again in his back-garden :P
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Nov 12, 2009 09:36:54 pm
      Tough times.

Positive is it sounds like Gerrard is back though?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #13: Nov 12, 2009 10:24:10 pm
      Better than i thought it would be, didn't think Nando would be running again in a few days.
      tear
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2009 03:29:49 am
      do you all think we can compete with city
      besides that out of 5 loses i will say we deserve 2
      tot spurs and sunderland
      chelsea we deserved a draw
      aston villa the luckiest side to win
      fulham we played with our second rate stars
      maxpinay
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2009 05:20:19 am
      Good thing, Stevie is back. Nando deserved that rest. I think he was overworked? All we really could do is wait. I hope mending bones and mucles is as easy as sticking things with super glue...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2009 09:46:56 am
      Liverpool's Fabio Aurelio has been forced to pull out of Brazil's squad to face England and is the Premier League club's latest injury worry. Steven Gerrard, Fernado Torres, Glen Johnson, Yossi Benayoun and Albert Riera are among the other injured first-teamers.
      Full story: The Guardian
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2009 09:55:48 am
      Fábio Aurélio injury adds to Liverpool's woes

Fábio Aurélio injury adds to Liverpool's woes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/12/liverpool-brazil

• Benítez's injury list growing ahead of Man City game

• Pressure at Anfield 'worse' than with Brazil, says midfielder

Liverpool's Fabio Aurélio has been forced to pull out of Brazil's squad to face England after suffering a muscle injury, his national federation has confirmed. The left-sided defender, who can also play in midfield, will miss the match in Doha and Brazil's friendly against Oman.

His injury is another cause of concern for Rafael Benítez, who is likely to have a severely weakened squad for Liverpool's next Premier League game, at home against Manchester City on 21 November, with Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Albert Riera and Yossi Benayoun all receiving treatment. The manager does, however, expect Glen Johnson to be available after a hamstring strain.

The Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has revealed that the pressure he currently experiences playing for his club side is worse than the weight of expectation he carries when featuring for the five-times World Cup winners, Brazil.

Lucas has been a regular in Benítez's struggling Liverpool side this season, with the team having won only once in their past nine games in all competitions. That sequence has left them trailing the Premier League leaders, Chelsea, by 11 points after only 12 matches and on the brink of elimination from the Champions League.

"Right now, the pressure of playing for Liverpool is worse than for Brazil," said the midfielder, who could start against England on Saturday after Juventus' Felipe Melo hobbled out of the team's training session at the Al Gharafa Sports Club tonight.

"In Brazil we have already qualified [for the World Cup] and we will, of course, have pressure in playing a big team like England. But at Liverpool now it is worse.

"We are in a difficult situation right now. We have to fight to qualify for the Champions League and the Premier League, too. First of all we have to get into the top four. Against Lyon, United and even in the last game, against Birmingham we played well but we conceded goals with mistakes. Hopefully the international break has come at a good time for us. Some players are injured so, hopefully, they will have time to return to fitness for the next game."

Lucas is much maligned figure at Anfield, where he has commanded a regular first-place since Xabi Alonso's sale to Real Madrid in the summer, but has shown signs in recent weeks of winning over the doubters.

"I know the pressure now at Liverpool is difficult and, while I am thinking about the games for the national team now [against England and then in Oman on Tuesday] I know I have to go back and help the situation. Even now, even here, I don't feel well about what is happening. No one feels well about it. But if we keep the same mentality, we can get out of it. It is a time when we need to stick together."

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2009 11:17:18 am
      Why was Aurelio even in the Brazil squad when he's been out with injury for us for so long?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2009 11:25:39 am
      Update on Nando from the Echo:

Fernando Torres starts rehabilitation to avoid groin surgery: Liverpool FC latest
      Nov 13 2009 By Dominic King

FERNANDO TORRES has started a rehabilitation and treatment programme in a bid to avoid the need to have surgery on his groin injury.

The Spanish striker has been hampered by a troublesome groin problem for the much of the past two months and missed Monday night’s 2-2 draw with Birmingham City at Anfield.

Torres also pulled out of the Spain squad for their friendly with Argentina tomorrow as Liverpool try to eradicate the problem.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez has a number of injury concerns and is looking at how best to get Torres through his problem.

Torres is definitely out of the next match with Manchester City at Anfield a week tomorrow and could also miss the Champions League trip to Debrecen and the Merseyside derby.

Benitez said: "With Fernando Torres we are talking about two or three weeks of treatment and working with the physios.

"Hopefully he can be running in a few days and we will see how he progresses. Sometimes a break comes at a bad time because you don’t like to see your players flying all over the world, but this time it gives us a chance to get some players back."

Liverpool Reserves’ trip to Wigan has been put back 24 hours and will now be played on Wednesday, November 25 (7.30pm).

The home game with Blackburn, due to be played on December 2, will now be played on Monday, February 8 (7pm).

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/11/13/fernando-torres-starts-rehabilitation-to-avoid-groin-surgery-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-25159244/2/

I don't know anything about sportman's hernias but why is it preferable to not have surgery if it takes this long for the injury to heal anyway?  Does surgery create a weakness or something?
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2009 11:59:48 am
      F**k man. I feel so sorry for Aurelio! He get his first call up for Brazil. Then he get injured. :(
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2009 12:16:18 pm
      A piece of brighter news for a change on Stevie!  From the official site:

NEWS STORY
      GERRARD: I'M READY TO FACE CITY
      James Carroll 17 November 2009 
        Steven Gerrard today handed Liverpool a major injury boost after the captain revealed he is ready to take on Manchester City this weekend. 
      A groin injury kept the 29-year-old sidelined for several weeks recently, but he made a return as a substitute in the Reds' 2-2 draw with Birmingham City last time out.

With Liverpool currently in the midst of a two-week hiatus from action due to the international break, Gerrard has used the recess to step up his rehabilitation from the problem - and is confident of facing Mark Hughes' side on Saturday.

"I felt very tired after the game, as I wasn't really ready to return (against Birmingham) and I'd done very little training in the three weeks beforehand," he said.

"It took me two or three days to recover from that game but I have spent the past week doing strengthening work and I'm feeling a lot better now. I'm looking forward to the weekend. There's no mental hurdle to cross.

"I've had a problem in my groin that has taken a while to get over but I'm just relieved the second injection seems to have done the trick.

"It's a case of so far so good and the aim now is to make sure I get a good week's training under my belt so I'm ready for the game with City."

Gerrard's spell on the treatment table saw him sit out key matches with Manchester United and Lyon, as well as clashes against Sunderland, Arsenal and Fulham.

The No.8 acknowledges it has been frustrating to watch on from the stands - but he is now relishing a return to the starting XI and with it, a chance to help Liverpool reignite their campaign.

"Some of the lowest points in my career have come about when I have had to miss big games for Liverpool and England through injury," he admits.

"It's never easy when you have to sit out games against Manchester United or trips away from home in the Champions League.

"If the lads are winning games and doing well, it makes the pain a bit easier so obviously the last couple of weeks have been extra frustrating.

"But I'm feeling good now, a lot stronger than before and it's just a question of getting my match sharpness back now. That is the most important thing."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166482091117-0951.htm
      Dan Mezen
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2009 01:20:42 pm
      Thank god gerrad is back. Hopefully he can stay injury free for the rest of the season.

Now stevie`s back i fancy our chances aganist man city this weekend.

Quick Reply