Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

15ft Hillsborough Sculpture

Read 13393 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      15ft Hillsborough Sculpture
      Nov 13, 2009 12:56:25 pm

Althougth it appears not everybody's happy with it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=171412593610&ref=ts
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: 15ft Hillsborough Sculpture
      Reply #1: Nov 13, 2009 12:58:44 pm
      Ir's quite a provocative image for a memorial.

Not sure what to make of it at first glance. :-\

I think the 96 flames would suffice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Nov 13, 2009 04:45:25 pm
      Is this a higher res version of this?

Have to say - the jury's still out on this.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Nov 13, 2009 05:28:38 pm
      I have to say that I don't really like it.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #4: Nov 13, 2009 05:32:02 pm
      I don't like it either. Should be done in a more respectful and classier way. Horrid imagery!
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2009 05:45:15 pm by RedStorm »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Nov 13, 2009 07:53:44 pm
      Bit weird that, not my cup of tea
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Nov 13, 2009 10:21:42 pm
      The idea was right however I'm really not a fan of the sculpture they've proposed.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Nov 13, 2009 10:30:56 pm
      Don't know what to make of the design. To me it is more of a resemblance to something in Hercules than anything to do with Hillsborough.

I agree with Joey, the 96 flames would suffice.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Nov 14, 2009 11:30:57 am
      Families of Liverpool football fans killed at Hillsborough furious at proposed memorial statue

Families of Liverpool football fans killed at Hillsborough yesterday blasted this model of a 15ft statue proposed in their memory.

The memorial shows three twisted figures struggling against metal bars – a graphic depiction of the deadly crush at the Sheffield Wednesday ground during an FA cup tie on April 15 1989.

Outraged Liverpool fans, including families of the 96 victims, called for the model to be binned.

And internet forums were inundated with messages of shock at the design of sculptor Tony Evans.

Anne Williams, whose son Kevin died, said: “It’s a monstrosity. When I saw it I felt sick. I will not allow Kevin’s name on the base.” The statue was supposed to be placed in Liverpool next year. The city council said: “The council did not commission this.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/11/14/hillsborough-statue-fury-115875-21820275/

Front page of the Mirror. My Dad was there and he was disgusted when he seen it. Showed it to me and said 'Have you seen this sh*t?' One guy said he would tear it down if he had to walk past it every day. I agree with him.

I support the notion of a statue or memorial in town, but I wouldn't if it were to be this one. It's a sickening image, even for people who weren't there. I couldn't even imagine what images it conjures for those who were and for those who had family there.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Nov 14, 2009 11:36:15 am
      My Dad was there and he was disgusted when he seen it. Showed it to me and said 'Have you seen this sh*t?' One guy said he would tear it down if he had to walk past it every day. I agree with him.

I support the notion of a statue or memorial in town, but I wouldn't if it were to be this one. It's a sickening image, even for people who weren't there. I couldn't even imagine what images it conjures for those who were and for those who had family there.

Agree with all that, well said.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Nov 14, 2009 12:50:23 pm
      I think it's sick and disturbing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Nov 14, 2009 12:53:44 pm
      I can see what the designer is trying to do - something striking and powerful that will help people to realise the importance of the events.

However, it's not the right thing to do. No-one wants to see that. Especially not the people most affected by the tragedy.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #12: Nov 14, 2009 01:52:10 pm
      Is this some kind of F***ing sick joke?

Horrible, horrible piece of work. I can't possibly imagine anyone liking that, even the tiniest bit.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #13: Nov 14, 2009 03:45:41 pm
      That is absolutely awful.

My mate was there and said it sickens him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Nov 14, 2009 06:55:33 pm
      New Hillsborough memorial statue to be unveiled in Liverpool
      Nov 14 2009  Luke Traynor 

A STRIKING new memorial could be erected in Liverpool at the 21st anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy.

The metal artwork, to be funded by the public, is set to be unveiled in the city next April by the council’s Lord Mayor office.

It is expected to be initially stationed in the Town Hall ballroom before being moved to different locations within the city centre.

The lifesized model will stand 15 foot high and have a spiritual element with a top figure looking upwards to the heavens.

All the 96 names of those who died after the Sheffield crushes will be inscribed on the 96 flames carved into the metal stand.

The families hope football fans will drape their own scarves onto the flames when they visit the artwork.

Creator Tony Evans has created a model of the memorial and is keen to gain the backing of both grieving families and survivors for the model.

But the design, which features a top figure seemingly strewn on top of a metal fence, seems set to be controversial from the outset.

A number of families and survivors have expressed concerns about the very immediate portrayal of the 1989 disaster.

Letters have been sent to the 96 families and a period of consultation is set to begin, asking people for those opinions.

The Lord Mayor’s Office, who are behind the project, are keen to stress that nothing has been approved.

A letter to Hillsborough Family Support Group members read: ““The statue is not intended to elicit sympathy, but to tell the story of a tragic event which unfortunately part of Liverpool life, and which brought, and which continues to bring, Liverpool people together and those touched by this from further afield.

“It also shows that, 21 years later, feelings have not diminished, and so many still wonder why.”

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said: “When I first saw the model, I went into quiet mode because of the way it looks.

“I think it does, however, tell the story of what those people went through.”

But in other quarters, the artwork not have won favour, and was today criticised by some people.

Both the Glover family, who lost their son Ian, 20, on the Leppings Lane terraces, and mum Anne Williams, whose son Kevin, 15, died, have registered their unhappiness with the design.

Dad John Glover told the ECHO he was taken aback when he first saw it, and he said: “For those people who were at Hillsborough, seeing this could knock them back to day one.”

Cllr Steve Rotheram, last year’s Lord Mayor and Liverpool FC fan who was heavily involved in the 20th Hillsborough anniversary, first had the idea for a permanent memorial.

He said: “We will ask all the families and survivors. If it causes concerns, perhaps it’s not the right time for it.

“The first time I saw it, it knocked me back. It’s very poignant. But the last thing we want to do is cause offence.

“This design is certainly not sanitised, it’s like Jimmy McGovern’s play which was warts and all.

“It provides a visual representation of what people will automatically recognise. The main figure seems to be looking to the skies, asking ‘why?’

Artist Tony Evans, however, stressed that the approval of the families and everyone affected by the 1989 disaster was of utmost importance.

He said: “I was asked to realise something in my style and create a suitable memorial, and being a Liverpudlian and an LFC fan I was only too happy.

“I tried to create a striking image of what it must have felt like to be in that position on that day, and it hopefully shows something of the strength of character of those people and how well they coped, rather than seeing them as victims.

“I realised it was an emotional subject and we had to tread carefully. The last thing we want to do is upset anyone. I thought it was a very worthwhile subject, and will go ahead if people thought it was worthy.

“Hillsborough is a major thing for me and most of Liverpool.

“We are looking for feedback of what people think of what I've come up with, we have contacted all the support groups and are giving them a chance to see it and comment on it. They are integral to the whole thing, and that is in the process of being done.

“It's a very delicate subject and it's all very well wanting to make a great piece of artwork, but when it's something so emotional you have to speak to those who have been affected by it, and give them the final say.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2009/11/14/new-hillsborough-memorial-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-liverpool-100252-25161561/
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Nov 14, 2009 07:41:00 pm
      Not too sure why this has come out.

Judging by the first post in this thread it appears that a letter has been sent to all the families? So have one of the families leaked it to the press?

All of this should have been kept behind closed doors and we shouldn't have seen any images or plans or anything until the families had agreed or were happy with the proposals.

Can anybody clarify how this became a news story?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #16: Nov 15, 2009 04:12:05 am
      If this happens, it'll be destroyed.

It's sick and it's wrong.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #17: Nov 15, 2009 04:56:04 am
      Disgusting image of the sculpture. Very wrong that. WTF is with the bars and the people struggling over there?

I will definitely not approve of this. Has no meaning to it. It is offensive and in a very bad taste.

Doesn't get the message across at all.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Nov 15, 2009 05:34:21 am
      It looks like something which should be in an Art Museum . Not in the centre of Liverpool trying to get across a strong message .....it's very provocative !
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #19: Nov 15, 2009 05:54:59 am
      F***ing sh*te that is. I mean if someone knowing nothing about this came across it, would it mean anything to them, or even let them know what its about? From what i see, no. Take away the big stand, just leave the bottom part with the flames. And maybe just a simple '96' in the middle. Don't need that big elaborate sh*te looking thing in the middle.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #20: Nov 15, 2009 07:29:04 pm
      Like others I fully support an appropriate memorial in town.However this one offends me and re-kindles horrific memories, so God knows what the families of the 96 are feeling.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Nov 21, 2009 12:01:22 am
      The thing for me with this is that it's not just the families, it's the survivors. And the survivors families and friends. And their children. And then the people of Liverpool who seen that tragic day unfold in front of their eyes. 

There's no doubt that if this is to be remembered for generations to come, then it needs to be thought provoking. Maybe the tool to provoke shouldn't be a physical thing for now though. It's far too fresh in the memories of everyone who's been affected by it. You can't just pass 20 years off and think it won't hurt people. Not that I think that the artist thinks that - he's a red and he's just putting his take on it so fair enough.

Educate people to the truth is the best tool for me. There's far too many aspects to the whole Hillsborough disaster. Give it more time and come up with something perfect. Because it's what everyone deserves who've been affected by this terrible tragedy.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not making sense. I wasn't there that day but I seen things I'll never want to see again on tv and in the media. To this day I can't look at any images and I find footage of people climbing over the railings very hard to take.

Surprised this article in the Echo yesterday was missed:

Liverpool Hillsborough survivor calls for controversial anniversary monument to be scrapped
      A WOMAN whose haunted face became one of the most poignant images of Hillsborough today called for a proposed controversial monument about the tragedy to be scrapped.

The tortured features of Debbie Routledge, then 18, pinned up against the Leppings Lane perimeter fence, were shown throughout the world following the terrible crushes in Sheffield over 20 years ago.

The Walton woman, who rarely speaks about her ordeal, today decided to tell the ECHO of her huge upset with the planned memorial.

Ms Routledge said she is horrified with the 15ft high artwork which is being considered for the 21st anniversary of the disaster.

The season ticket holder described the creation as a “mirror image” of what happened to her on the Sheffield terraces.

The metal sculpture incorporates three figures, two of them lying horizontal, one apparently looking up to the heavens, in a striking encapsulation of April 15, 1989.

Debbie, now 39, told the ECHO: “I’m horrified it should be considered a monument.

“It’s an image I put back to that day. It would be very wrong to put it on display.

“It’s not appropriate. There’s already a monument at Anfield, why do we need a second one?

“As soon as I saw it, I thought, ‘Oh no!’ It’s not an image I would want to see.

“If I was in Liverpool, I’d make a conscious effort to avoid it.

“It’s very graphic and too fresh for the survivors.”

Debbie was pictured with her pal Lisa Ridings crushed up against the fences.

Their faces looked pained and initial newspaper observers presumed they had been killed, but they survived.

Heroic fans hauled both Debbie and Lisa on to the other side and laid them side by side on the pitch,

They passed out but supporters brought them round by slapping their faces.

In the aftermath of the tragedy, Liverpool forward Craig Johnston gave Debbie lifts to Sheffield Hospital.

In 1997, she described her ordeal, recalling gasping for air when she really wanted deep gulps.

Inside the pen they had been able to breathe in but not out. Then, she added: "We were the lucky ones, we got out. I still don't know how but somehow we made it."

Debbie moved up to Glasgow 18 months ago, but has still got a season ticket for Anfield and tries to get to most home games.

She lost the use of her left hand temporarily after Hillsborough after she fell on it.

Debbie added: “The artwork is something different, but the survivor’s viewpoint has to be considered as well as the bereaved families.

“I was pushed over the fence and as I was on top I was helped over by another fan.

“Lisa was carried out on one of the stretcher boards

“I’d love to know who helped me.”

Today, Liverpool council said they were in a period of “reflection” until it is decided what to do next with the proposed sculpture.

The idea has not been scrapped, but given the opposition to the design, it seems unlikely it will be approved.

A council spokesman said: “The artist commissioned the memorial at his own risk, it’s not something commissioned by the Town Hall or the council.

“There is still an ambition to erect a memorial, but will it be this? We don’t know.”

Some bereaved families from the Hillsborough Family Support Group were shown a model of the sculpture by artist Tony Evans and began to canvass opinion among relatives of the 96 fans killed and survivors.

The group agreed to underwrite the cost of the artwork, but it was stressed that a lengthy period of consultation was always set to be followed before any approval is made.

The creation polarised opinion among Liverpool fans after images of the memorial were leaked on to the internet.

A poll run online by the ECHO revealed how 69% thought the design “inappropriate”, 23% viewed it as “thought-provoking” and eight per cent thought it “misguided.”

If it is approved, it could be stationed in the Town Hall ballroom and moved around to different locations in the city centre.

The idea for another monument was first broached by former Liverpool Lord Mayor and avid Red Steve Rotherham who presided over the emotional 20th anniversary events last April.

Dad John Glover, who lost his son Ian at Hillsborough, and campaigner Anne Williams, whose son Kevin, 15, was killed in Sheffield, have expressed their unhappiness with the proposed design.

Artist Mr Evans, himself an LFC supporter, has since stated he was shocked by the public reaction and said he did not want to offend anyone with his work.

He added he had amended the design after being told it was “not strong enough”.

Link

I would like to know who told him it was not strong enough.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #22: Nov 21, 2009 12:14:19 am
      I, for one, would sign a petition against it. It depicts people struggling for their lives and strips them of

a) Their identity
      b) Their clothes from what I can see
      c) Their dignity

A sculpture in their memory should be elegant, not provocative. It should hold them up to the sky as men and women and children that are missed and thought of every day. It shouldn't be an artist's attempt to gain publicity or recognition.

I'd prefer a 15 foot angel with the names of the 96 on its wings.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #23: Nov 21, 2009 12:57:44 am
      I, for one, would sign a petition against it. It depicts people struggling for their lives and strips them of

a) Their identity
      b) Their clothes from what I can see
      c) Their dignity

A sculpture in their memory should be elegant, not provocative. It should hold them up to the sky as men and women and children that are missed and thought of every day. It shouldn't be an artist's attempt to gain publicity or recognition.

I'd prefer a 15 foot angel with the names of the 96 on its wings.
      I'd go with that mate,as I thank every day that passes,that I was not in that stand on the day.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Nov 21, 2009 07:45:55 am
      Here's a couple of images this thing reminds me of:

These are thought provoking images, but are they the right kind of ones we need to symbolise the Hillsborough tragedy?

I more think images of family or friendship, or an angel as Gow suggested, would be more appropriate. But I think the most important thing is to represent the 96 with dignity.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #25: Nov 21, 2009 07:56:43 am
      That is a horrible sculpture.

el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #26: Nov 21, 2009 08:33:55 am
      I seen this last week and still feel it's wrong,every time I see it makes me ill at the thought.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #27: Nov 22, 2009 02:52:22 pm
      I'm not being funny, but if that was seen on another clubs forum I'd think it was a disgrace!

I cant believe thats an option for the sculpture, agree with the idea...the design is just wrong!

Justice for the 96!

YNWA

Quick Reply