Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Video Referee

Read 10019 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Video Referee
      Reply #69: Nov 20, 2009 11:11:34 pm
      Some good and interesting perspectives in here.

I suppose at the end of the day, the old fashioned sport of football has been ragged apart from all angles now. Apart from one remaining tatter. And that's the officiating of the game isn't it?

I don't know. My philosophy on football comes from Shanks. Be invincible. People can cheat all they like but they won't beat you. Isn't that the way football should be? Rather than clouding the game with judgments?

If video refereeing comes into play, it will open the door for other pathetic decisions. I'd rather just keep the game as simple as it is. That's just my opinion.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #70: Nov 21, 2009 12:25:36 am
      Some good and interesting perspectives in here.

I suppose at the end of the day, the old fashioned sport of football has been ragged apart from all angles now. Apart from one remaining tatter. And that's the officiating of the game isn't it?

I don't know. My philosophy on football comes from Shanks. Be invincible. People can cheat all they like but they won't beat you. Isn't that the way football should be? Rather than clouding the game with judgments?

If video refereeing comes into play, it will open the door for other pathetic decisions. I'd rather just keep the game as simple as it is. That's just my opinion.

I agree with "Be Invincible"...If Ireland had scored 3 goals instead of 1 the cheating would not of been an Issue. However, it happened.

I am certainly of the minority on this forum, But, I dont want Liverpool to build a new stadium. I want their to be old tradition in sports. But I also know that Liverpool MUST build a new stadium to survive. I HATE that they tore down Yankee Stadium. Thats hallowed ground.  Not just for Baseball or American Sports, but as a symbol that their are no more traditions to respect in sports. They tore it down for a Newer Stadium with a bigger scoreboard and more expensive seats. Anyone watch a Yankee game this year?  Did you wonder why the seats down by the field were ALWAYS empty?  Because the Yankees made them $260,000 a season seats. Each seat! Not only that they separated the seats with a concrete "Moat" so the normal fan cannot go down to the field before the game for autographs. A tradition in American Baseball for 100 years. Now you can "Buy" your autographs at the Yankee store.

I look at all sports as a game, because thats all they are. But those days of "simple" are gone and past.  When the amount of money that is generated by Sports revenues and the "Business" of sport surpasses the GNP of some Western Countries, then it becomes regulated and ruled by law.

50 years ago Thierry Henry would of looked at the ref and said " I touched it with my hand", the goal would not of been allowed and the men would of continued the game.  I guess its sad that, it didn't happen that way but thats how it is.

I used to think that sport could define a person or a Nation. That the integrity and the honor which athletes shared was unique. It used to be that if a player fell to the ground an opposing player would lend a hand and raise him up, now were just as likely to see the player step on his head or face instead of helping him up.

I get incensed at the loss of respect. Its still their, but its under the surface now instead of the top. When a player openly cheats and knows it, and then continues to celebrate his "accomplishment" it pisses me off. With the money involved their is so much more at stake and the thought of disrespecting the game and cheating doesn't even weigh on the minds of some of today's players.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #71: Nov 21, 2009 04:23:07 am
      Should Robbie Keane be punished then? Should he be called a "cheat" and suspended? He was blown up for five handballs in the game - five! Each and every time he handled it he done so to try gain an advantage, had he not have been 'caught' Robbie would, surely, have accepted the advantage. Remember too that each and every time he was 'caught' he looked at the Ref in disbelief, "who me?".

I am not saying that Ireland deserved to go out and I am not saying it doesn't leave a bitter taste. What I am saying is that to brand Henry a "cheat" and call for suspension (and worse) is unfair and the wrong way to go.

What I'm also saying is that the time has surely come for technology to play it's part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Henry incident is different to most other normal fouls or handball offences.  What we are looking at here is  a situation whereby a player used his hand in a cynical way to direct the ball onto a team mates head and into the goal.  This is one of the worst offences you will see on a football pitch, and it has cost a nation a place at the world cup finals.
      All situations will be different and no doubt there are some that have incensed the public, for example the Eduardo dive. We have video umpiring here in Australia in AFL, and if someone is caught on camera king hitting an opponent, then he can be, and often is cited after the game and does time.

Ok, it doesn't help the team who were beaten on the day, but it deters players from doing such things after they realise that players have missed out on grand finals because of such indescretions.

On a scale of 1-10 the Henry incident is a 10. He has denied an entire squad of players their life long dream of playing at the world cup finals. For him to miss out it would be small consolation to the Irish players, who would no doubt prefer the option of a replay. If he gets away scot free where is the deterrent to prevent players doing the same in the future.

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #72: Nov 21, 2009 11:53:04 am
      Rugby referees are only able to use the TMO in very specific instances and I know some top rugby refs have been reprimanded when they have stepped outside of their remit in this regard. In football, having a video ref would take some working out logistically - it could only really be used to determine matters of fact - offsides, ball crossing the line ... there are far too many gray areas for it to go any further than that. If you go to officialsports.co.uk - it is a football referees forum - they hardly ever agree on there and they are all active referees!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #73: Nov 21, 2009 11:57:01 am
      Roy Keane got it spot on.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #74: Nov 21, 2009 12:03:18 pm
      Should Robbie Keane be punished then? Should he be called a "cheat" and suspended? He was blown up for five handballs in the game - five! Each and every time he handled it he done so to try gain an advantage, had he not have been 'caught' Robbie would, surely, have accepted the advantage. Remember too that each and every time he was 'caught' he looked at the Ref in disbelief, "who me?".
      I think most if not all of those were for (very marginal pushing) - the ball struck the top of his shoulder which is not handball under the LotG and I'd expect a FIFA referee to know that! I suspect those FKs were for a deemed push by Keane instead.

FWIW I agree with you about the inconsistencies of blaming Henry. Players do cheat all the time and match officials are being put under greater and greater pressure to spot every single incident without being given any additional help. I think the additional officials that are being used in the Europa League would be a positive step forward and hopefully after this incident they will get fast-tracked so to speak by FIFA into our game.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #75: Nov 21, 2009 12:06:30 pm
      There certainly is some validity to what he said but the reason he said it is because of one of many long-standing grudges he has, not for any nobler reasons! He really does need to learn how to let go!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #76: Nov 21, 2009 12:18:21 pm
      Roy Keane a scumbag he is a bitter b***ard that turned his back on his country when he was needed most. His whole interview was an attack he was talking about the 2002 World Cup for F**k sake.

JD i might back you in must things Liverpool related but your talking about something there you seem to have very little understanding about, Roy Keane wasn't stating his views he was waiting 7 years to have an attack on our chief executive he is a pr**k.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,194 posts | 8559 
      Reply #77: Nov 21, 2009 02:09:00 pm
      Roy Keane a scumbag he is a bitter b***ard that turned his back on his country when he was needed most. His whole interview was an attack he was talking about the 2002 World Cup for F**k sake.

JD i might back you in must things Liverpool related but your talking about something there you seem to have very little understanding about, Roy Keane wasn't stating his views he was waiting 7 years to have an attack on our chief executive he is a pr**k.

But he's a pr**k who has been there and seen it and done it!

I'd say he knows what he is talking about.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #78: Nov 21, 2009 05:46:02 pm
      Not necessarily Huyton Red - he's not been involved in the Irish setup for quite some while and would be relying on second-hand bits and pieces that amount to little more than gossip for his information on how things are done now. Furthermore he is bitter about 2002 and what happened then. His rant yesterday had very little to do with what took place on Wednesday. We know that he is a guy who will bear a grudge for a very long time: Alf Inge Haaland for instance. Mick McCarthy is another - he was still pissed off with McCarthy in 2002 over something that happened in the US in 1991 ffs. He was a great player and did an enormous amount of good for Ireland as a player. But he is mentally unbalanced and imho his opinion on this particular issue really lacks any credibility.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #79: Nov 21, 2009 06:15:27 pm
      I think it's criminal any club would employee him, it's not what he knows he listen to F***ing no one and is a law onto himself what he is talking about in 2002 is a joke.

He was captain of his country going to a World Cup and because the training facilities were up to the standard of Brazil or Germany he fu**ed home. I wouldn't listen to one thing that comes out of his mouth.

Last year one of his ex -Sunderland players had a problem with his heart nearly died what the F**k did Keane say I'm suprised by that from his time at Sunderland I didn't think he had a heart at all. He is a complete tw*t.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,194 posts | 8559 
      Reply #80: Nov 21, 2009 06:26:39 pm
      Not necessarily Huyton Red - he's not been involved in the Irish setup for quite some while and would be relying on second-hand bits and pieces that amount to little more than gossip for his information on how things are done now. Furthermore he is bitter about 2002 and what happened then. His rant yesterday had very little to do with what took place on Wednesday. We know that he is a guy who will bear a grudge for a very long time: Alf Inge Haaland for instance. Mick McCarthy is another - he was still pissed off with McCarthy in 2002 over something that happened in the US in 1991 ffs. He was a great player and did an enormous amount of good for Ireland as a player. But he is mentally unbalanced and imho his opinion on this particular issue really lacks any credibility.

By the way don't be including me in all this we sh*t!

Roy Keane is simply one of the best midfielders I've seen during the 90s and is opinion isn't unbalanced.

Anyone who saw his performance for the mancs against Juve in 99 know the lad's a born winner. He dragged the mancs to that final even though he knew he would be banned and wouldn't appear in the final. The lad's a winner and only demands the best.

The Irish have been acting like bitter Evertonians this week. Surprised there hasn't been an internet petition against the ref/Henry.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #81: Nov 21, 2009 07:04:16 pm
      Huyton Red if you had being cheated out of your biggest game in 7 years you might feel same for F**k sake ye are still going on about Maradona as a cheat 23 years later. Keane might have being class as a player but that is were it ends he is a tw*t as a man and limited as a manager. Ask the Ipswich or Sunderland fans is he a born winner.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,194 posts | 8559 
      Reply #82: Nov 21, 2009 07:09:26 pm
      Huyton Red if you had being cheated out of your biggest game in 7 years you might feel same for F**k sake ye are still going on about Maradona as a cheat 23 years later. Keane might have being class as a player but that is were it ends he is a tw*t as a man and limited as a manager. Ask the Ipswich or Sunderland fans is he a born winner.

Well Nesta did handle on the edge of the box in Istanbul!!

ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #83: Nov 21, 2009 07:50:52 pm
      Roy Keane is simply one of the best midfielders I've seen during the 90s and is opinion isn't unbalanced.

Anyone who saw his performance for the mancs against Juve in 99 know the lad's a born winner. He dragged the mancs to that final even though he knew he would be banned and wouldn't appear in the final. The lad's a winner and only demands the best.
      I know he was a great player but he really does have a fairly big axe to grind here. He talked about 2002 himself yesterday! He said he was unhappy that John Delaney didn't phone him up and talk to him at the time. Keane said this himself yesterday. That - and only that - is the reason why he said what he said yesterday. What relevance does it have to Henry's handball? I really can't see any.

The Irish have been acting like bitter Evertonians this week.

Wow! That is pretty rich considering how much the English still go on about Diego Maradona ... nearly a quarter of a century later! Maradona was up in Scotland last year and Terry Butcher was asked if he would shake his hand and he said he didn't know if he would be able to! When we ('we' as in the Irish) are still acting like that over Henry in 23 years' time then maybe your criticism will hold some water! If that had been England the other night things would be *very* different (ask Urs Meier about what happens when you give a controversial decision against the English and how 'bitter' things can get). The FAI released a statement yesterday about Henry: "... As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that ..." Hardly bitter is it?

We (again, 'we' as in the Irish) have had a few dodgy calls go against us in playoffs before and we get over them well enough. Right now we're pretty sore because we're missing out on the World Cup Finals because of a fairly blatent mistake by the match officials but in time things will be fine. We'll have stopped talking about Henry long before you lot stop banging on about Maradona!

[p.s. apologies if you're not English or if you are English but couldn't give a F**k about Maradona in 1986!!!  ;D]
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,194 posts | 8559 
      Reply #84: Nov 21, 2009 08:01:22 pm
      I know he was a great player but he really does have a fairly big axe to grind here. He talked about 2002 himself yesterday! He said he was unhappy that John Delaney didn't phone him up and talk to him at the time. Keane said this himself yesterday. That - and only that - is the reason why he said what he said yesterday. What relevance does it have to Henry's handball? I really can't see any.

Wow! That is pretty rich considering how much the English still go on about Diego Maradona ... nearly a quarter of a century later! Maradona was up in Scotland last year and Terry Butcher was asked if he would shake his hand and he said he didn't know if he would be able to! When we ('we' as in the Irish) are still acting like that over Henry in 23 years' time then maybe your criticism will hold some water! If that had been England the other night things would be *very* different (ask Urs Meier about what happens when you give a controversial decision against the English and how 'bitter' things can get). The FAI released a statement yesterday about Henry: "... As captain of the French team, to make such a statement took courage and honour, and all of us recognise that ..." Hardly bitter is it?

We (again, 'we' as in the Irish) have had a few dodgy calls go against us in playoffs before and we get over them well enough. Right now we're pretty sore because we're missing out on the World Cup Finals because of a fairly blatent mistake by the match officials but in time things will be fine. We'll have stopped talking about Henry long before you lot stop banging on about Maradona!

[p.s. apologies if you're not English or if you are English but couldn't give a F**k about Maradona in 1986!!!  ;D]

Just so you know I'm Not English, I'm Scouse!!

And if I was being honest now, cared more about the handball in my answer above in you know a real game of football - The European Cup Final!!

Don't give a F**k about England, Ireland or international football, just the Reds.

Although I did actually want the French to go out cos it would of given me a laugh, but instead of bitching about Henry, try looking closer to home, Ireland had two or three clear F***ing chances to win the game, without it even going to extra-time.

And stop listening to the media sh*te, you haven't got the best international support - Holland have, the Oranje Army would outsing you any day of the week.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #85: Nov 21, 2009 08:26:42 pm

[/quote]Keane has his own agenda with this one he's always been at odds with the Republics' football authorities and takes any opportunity to kick off with them. What is surprising is that anyone takes any F***ing notice of him anymore.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #86: Nov 21, 2009 08:49:17 pm
      I'll be honest if you haven't guessed it I'm Irish but I have to say 99% of the time Huyton Red talks more sense on here than most but have to disagree with you here, obviously we are going to be sickened even Henry said he was embarrassed, look we don't get success as a nation much in football so obviously we are going to be raw about what happened only a couple of days ago.

Huyton if you asked me if i would prefer Liverpool to win the league or Ireland to qualify for the World cup, there is only one winner but that doesn't mean what happened the other night doesn't hurt.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #87: Nov 21, 2009 09:04:58 pm
      And stop listening to the media sh*te, you haven't got the best international support - Holland have, the Oranje Army would outsing you any day of the week.
      I think in fairness 20-30 years ago, the supporters Ireland attracted were up there with the very best in international football. I remember when we played England at Wembley in 1991 at least two-thirds of the place was green and we outsang the home supporters by some way! Nowadays it's very very different: our support isn't crap but it is certainly no better than most other country's ... the Dutch are certainly a good shower, so too the Scots.

Although I did actually want the French to go out cos it would of given me a laugh, but instead of bitching about Henry, try looking closer to home, Ireland had two or three clear f**king chances to win the game, without it even going to extra-time.
      I know, I know!!

Quick Reply