Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

World Cup Play-offs

Read 10414 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: World Cup Play-offs
      Reply #115: Nov 20, 2009 05:25:44 pm
      All this bitching, wouldn't even be necessary had Robbie Keane scored the two chances he had in the second half.

Exactly.. But aside from that..

We see this "level" of cheating in almost every professional game of football played.. He's not taken cheating to different heights like everyone is claiming.. The only thing different is the circumstance in which he did it and what was at stake.. Its not acceptable and cheating is NOT right but to say he's gone beyond the normal level of cheating we see regularly in a game is ridiculous.. Handball, diving and trying to get a player sent off are ALL examples of cheating we see week in week out..

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #116: Nov 20, 2009 06:36:12 pm
      That sad thing about this is football seems to accept cheating, a player has obviously cheated to gain an advantage what happens nothing and people make comments like get on with it.

Cheating is wide spread now in football and it seems to be accepted as a part of football why, it really needs to stop before it is to late, it is costing countries and clubs to much money.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #117: Nov 20, 2009 07:03:41 pm
      I'm really gutted that we have been done by a blatant piece of cheating from a player i had huge respect for, but i think its time we got realistic here.

The match wont be replayed, and make no mistake about it, if duffer had;ve handed it and crossed for richard dunne to score the winner for us, there is not a hope and hell i'd want to replay the game.

I also reckon duff, keane and john o'shea are getting away with a lot here, as the three of them missed sitters that would have sent us through hand ball or not, and no one is talking about that.

I just think we have to take this on the chin, because all of the protests, and seeing brian cowan and john delaney pleading their case, is for me, a bit embarrassing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #118: Nov 20, 2009 07:08:02 pm
      That sad thing about this is football seems to accept cheating, a player has obviously cheated to gain an advantage what happens nothing and people make comments like get on with it.

Like i said before; football has a strange way of making hypocrites out of all us.....

Rep. Ireland - Georgia: Giovanni Trapattoni Has the Luck of the Irish
      When the FAI declared Italian Giovanni Trapattoni as the new Republic of Ireland manager little did they know that he has more luck than the Irish themselves.

Last night poor old Georgia were once again on the receiving end of this good luck.

Trapattoni's first slice of luck came in September when Ireland were scheduled to play Georgia in the away fixture in Tiblisi. However, UEFA deemed the country unstable as Russian troops entered South Ossestia and Georgia lost home advantage.

The Georgian FA asked for the ties to be reversed. This way Ireland would host Georgia in September and Georgia would host the Irish in February when hostilities had died down.

As luck would have it for the Irish, Croke Park was unavaibale in September as the All-Ireland hurling and football finals were been played.

It was decided that Georgia would lose their home advantage and the game was played in Mainz, Germany. The Irish went on to win 2-1...........

........Ireland left the field at half-time to a few boos and Trapattoni, Tardelli and Brady knew that something different was needed in the second half if the home side were to get the three points so desperately needed to keep in touch with the Italians.....

..........Then up stepped Finnish referee Jouni Hyytia for his moment in the spotlight in what was his final "big" game as official.

To confusion from both the Irish and Georgian sides, Hyytia awarded a penalty to the boys in green. A long ball found its way to Robbie Keane who seemed to control the ball with his hand only for the referee to let play continue.

The ball was then cleared but only as far as Kevin Doyle as it deflected off the Waterford man and into the path of Ucha Lobjanidze. The referee then gave a shrill blast of his whistle for what appeared to be an offside by Keane.

Instead to everyones surprise, Hyytia pointed to the penalty spot and deemed Lobjanidze to have handled the ball. Replays showed that Keane had handled the ball in the lead-up to this decision and that Keane was also offside as play continued. However, most surprising it also showed that the Georgian's hand had gone nowhere near the football which had hit him if anywhere on his collarbone.

Regardless of what the referee had thought he had seen, Keane did not need to be asked twice and immediately set the ball down on the penalty spot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/123208-repireland-georgia-giovanni-trappatoni-has-the-luck-of-the-irish

Now i missed Robbie's post-match interview that night but i'm sure he suggested the game was replayed.....didn't he? 'Cause there's no way Keane's a f***in' cheat, eh?

I just think we have to take this on the chin, because all of the protests, and seeing brian cowan and john delaney pleading their case, is for me, a bit embarrassing.

Nail on head.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2009 07:17:01 pm by bad boy bubby »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #119: Nov 20, 2009 07:16:51 pm
      The 2 things I'd argue about that was in that one match there wasn't as much at stake also the Keane handball was no where near as obvious or blatant as Henrys and forgetting that what about the clear off side and push on Dunne, the goal was rotten.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #120: Nov 20, 2009 07:28:43 pm
      in that one match there wasn't as much at stake also the Keane handball was no where near as obvious or blatant as Henrys

Er, em......okay.  :-\
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #121: Nov 20, 2009 07:41:32 pm
      What is the ah okay about Georgia wouldn't have qualified for the World Cup if we hadn't got the penalty and Keane didn't stop the ball going out with his hand and then push it into his path.

Look bad boy I understand what your trying to say but if England or Liverpool get knocked out of the World Cup or Champions League with such an outrageous goal like that I don't think you'll be as reasonable.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #122: Nov 20, 2009 07:58:14 pm
      Look bad boy I understand what your trying to say but if England or Liverpool get knocked out of the World Cup or Champions League with such an outrageous goal like that I don't think you'll be as reasonable.

All i'm getting at is that Henry is more or no less a cheat than everyone else that has gained advantage by handling a ball - Robbie Keane included. You have to accept that if Henry's a "cheat" (as 60,000 + Ireland fans are insisting) then, by default, Robbie is also a "cheat".

I'm wary, as i've stated before, of labeling any player a "cheat" as football will (time and again) make a hypocrite out of us all and that title doesn't sit comfortably with me.  ;)

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #123: Nov 20, 2009 09:13:30 pm

Cheating is wide spread now in football and it seems to be accepted as a part of football why, it really needs to stop before it is to late, it is costing countries and clubs to much money.

The 2 things I'd argue about that was in that one match there wasn't as much at stake also the Keane handball was no where near as obvious or blatant as Henrys

Kind of contradicting yourself there fella. You have said cheating really needs to stop but to me it seems you are overlooking the Penalty Ireland got against Georgia just because that wasn't the decisive game. :-\

Both Keane and Henry cheated but only Henry is the one getting slated. Yes it was more obvious and blatant but at the end of the day they have both cheated the other team and I couldn't agree with you more that it needs to stop before it's too late because this last year it has gotten beyond pathetic the amount of cheating that is going on. Every International break there is a case of cheating, when league games are played there is a case of cheating.

Finally, to make it worse the managers and players are ranting and raving demanding rematches when they themselves have cheated at some point during the campaign. If the officials had the bottle to make a big decision in a match and rule out a goal that blatantly shouldn't stand then it wouldn't be an issue. At the end of the day when that final whistle goes there is nothing that can be done about it because the time has passed when the choice should have been made. If there were games being replayed then it would cause havoc and what if a player was to pick up a serious injury in the rematch and then miss the main competition or be ruled out for a long time, then they would be complaining about that and would be demanding compensation.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #124: Nov 20, 2009 09:24:59 pm
      I agree cheating has to be rooted out but the only thing that really still irks me is SSN showed the linesmans position, he was looking directly at the incident, I think after missing the off side he completely bottled the big decision and it is him I'm more angry at than the ref or Henry. He was looking straight at it no excuse for not lifting his flag.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #125: Nov 20, 2009 09:27:30 pm
      I agree cheating has to be rooted out but the only thing that really still irks me is SSN showed the linesmans position, he was looking directly at the incident, I think after missing the off side he completely bottled the big decision and it is him I'm more angry at than the ref or Henry. He was looking straight at it no excuse for not lifting his flag.

Like you said "Completely bottled the big decision".

Their slogan should be "We bottle it so you don't have to".

Quick Reply