Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

World's most successful sports team?

Read 27226 times
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      World's most successful sports team?
      May 06, 2007 01:27:36 am
      Who is it?

Out of interest?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: World's most successful sports team?
      Reply #1: May 06, 2007 01:34:00 am
      The mighty LFC are of course

League Champions  18 (next season hopefully 19),  European Cups  5 soon to be 6  :champ:, FA Cups 7 and League Cups 7..who else could match this? :scarf:
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2: May 06, 2007 02:39:07 am
      New York Yankees that have won 26 'World Titles'?.....and the Mighty Reds!
      lstrex
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #3: May 06, 2007 09:35:44 am
      I wouldent count "world titles" as much as they are the only ones taking part I think you have to be more specific about whats a "successful sports" team .
      Anyway Liverpool are the most successfull in England now its Between Italy Spain and England as to who has the better footballl Spain has 12 ch leagues to England and Italys 11 however Italy have 4 world cups to Englands 1 and Spains none.
      So on a points system with 3 for 1st 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd Spain has 3 Italy has 5 and England 4 however when Liverpool win on the 23rd we,ll have 12 ch leagues in England which means 5 points joint with Italy as best in Europe.
      And with Europe being the best in the world Liverpool will be joint as the worlds most successfull Football team with Italys most successfull and with footie being the most popular its the most competitive and therefore harder to win  so Liverpool will be either another ch league or another England world cup  :laugh: away from the being the most successfull team in the world.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2007 09:38:01 am by lstrex »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2007 10:41:00 am
      Wasn't one of Hicks or Gillett's teams up there.  The Montreal Canadiens. 

I assume as a yardstick we are judging the number of 'league wins' compared to the number of years you have been in it.

We have won the 'title' 18 times in 116 years (15.5%).

Similarly Barcelona have won 18 La Liga's in 108 years (16.6%).

Guess it would have to be Madrid with 29 titles in 105 years (27.6%).

If any club, in any sport, can beat 27.6% - let me know.

mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2007 11:26:23 am
      Linfield FC have won the Irish league 47 times in 121 years (38.8%) ;) ;D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: May 06, 2007 11:47:01 am
      Cardiff City 0 times since 1899.. 108 years.. 0%.. Brill ;D
      (Ugh, now I'm depressed :()
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: May 06, 2007 02:58:12 pm
      To put another spin on it, surely all thes recortds you're talking about are club records, not team records. For me if you're talking about a team, it has to be the record under one manager.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #8: May 06, 2007 10:05:48 pm
      I wouldent count "world titles" as much as they are the only ones taking part I think you have to be more specific about whats a "successful sports" team .
      Anyway Liverpool are the most successfull in England now its Between Italy Spain and England as to who has the better footballl Spain has 12 ch leagues to England and Italys 11 however Italy have 4 world cups to Englands 1 and Spains none.
      So on a points system with 3 for 1st 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd Spain has 3 Italy has 5 and England 4 however when
      Liverpool win on the 23rd we,ll have 12 ch leagues in England which means 5 points joint with Italy as best in Europe.
      And with Europe being the best in the world Liverpool will be joint as the worlds most successfull Football team with Italys most successfull and with footie being the most popular its the most competitive and therefore harder to win  so Liverpool will be either another ch league or another England world cup  :laugh: away from the being the most successfull team in the world.

World series is in inverted comments for that very reason?! Plus the topic is 'The most successful sports team' so its generally a good idea to think outside the box of just football when the category is 'Sports'.....just a thought
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #9: May 15, 2007 02:16:48 pm
      World series is in inverted comments for that very reason?! Plus the topic is 'The most successful sports team' so its generally a good idea to think outside the box of just football when the category is 'Sports'.....just a thought

I read that it's called the World Series because the original sponsor was the Boston World newspaper, not because they think they're world champs.

In terms of titles I believe Glasgow Rangers are deamed to be the most successful with over 50 league championships and 40 0dd Scottish Cups.
      Agree that most successful should be one that dominated their sport for many consecutive years.

priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #10: May 15, 2007 02:32:32 pm
      I read that it's called the World Series because the original sponsor was the Boston World newspaper, not because they think they're world champs.

In terms of titles I believe Glasgow Rangers are deamed to be the most successful with over 50 league championships and 40 0dd Scottish Cups.
      Agree that most successful should be one that dominated their sport for many consecutive years.

beat me to again stu!!

Yeah Rangers have won the league 50 times

I think someone tho has won the league more than that bit I cant think who.......???
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #11: May 15, 2007 02:50:55 pm
       Gers fans go on about the stat a lot but i'm sure they lost it two years ago, might be a south american team that have overtaken them now, but not sure who either. 
      AdelaideRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #12: May 20, 2007 02:34:14 pm
      port adelaide football club aussie rules 36 league titles since 1870
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: May 20, 2007 04:46:48 pm
      Cardiff City 0 times since 1899.. 108 years.. 0%.. Brill ;D
      (Ugh, now I'm depressed :()

aww Nic.. hehe, Im laughing so hard right now, thats just funny! Love it ;)

Rosenborg (my local team) have won the norwegian series 20 times (won last season and then they got the second star on the chest!)
      From 92 to 04 they won every year! 13 times nonstop champions! Priceless.

Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #14: Nov 14, 2008 11:21:19 am
      aww Nic.. hehe, Im laughing so hard right now, thats just funny! Love it ;)

Rosenborg (my local team) have won the norwegian series 20 times (won last season and then they got the second star on the chest!)
      From 92 to 04 they won every year! 13 times nonstop champions! Priceless.

Also they were partly responsible for the sacking of Mourinho. ;)

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Nov 14, 2008 11:57:54 am
      Rosenborg - 20 times winning titles every year between 1992 to 2004 and also getting Mourinho sacked. So that I what I call success
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,022 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16: Nov 14, 2008 04:41:34 pm
      Linfield were live on Sky the other day and the commentator (Gerry Armstong I think) said they're the most successful British club in terms of silverwear.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #17: Nov 15, 2008 10:42:34 am
      Australian cricket team, with only 20 million people down here to beat a team in India of 1 billion people that they can choose from and most likely all their favourite sport. But im not sure, if Australia played Liverpool in cricket Australia would probably lose.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #18: Nov 16, 2008 02:29:39 pm
      Well it depends, do you measure the superbowl the same as a league title, the world series the same as the  irish league.... Overall the team that had most success against the toughest people is..... US :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #19: Nov 16, 2008 03:35:24 pm
      It's difficult to judge which is most succesfull due to factors like

1- years active(since it was established)
      example - a team active for a longer time definitely has more chance of winning more trophies

2- amount of money they have
      example - a premier league team has more trophies than a 3rd division team that has 1000 times less money they're able to spend
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #20: Nov 16, 2008 04:42:52 pm
      It's difficult to judge which is most succesfull due to factors like

1- years active(since it was established)
      example - a team active for a longer time definitely has more chance of winning more trophies

2- amount of money they have
      example - a premier league team has more trophies than a 3rd division team that has 1000 times less money they're able to spend

A Premier league team might have more money but that is countered by having to play better opponents.

There are lots more factors that influence this debate:
      Standard of opposition is a big one I think - Rangers have won loads but play in a 2 horse race.  For many years the same could be said for Real Madrid (in La Liga not the European Cup).
      The worlds greatest tiddlywinks team that has won more titles than anyone else but only plays against 5 other teams from the local area can hardly be compared to a football team that has to play against the best in the world/continent.  Think American Football, Basketball, Rounders Baseball here.
      Length of time as a winning team has to be a consideration - Bolton, Huddersfield, Preston were all the best football team in England for a while but aren't now.

For me, the greatest team must play a worldwide sport, have been up with the best for a long time, have won an unparalleled amount of trophies/whatever they play for.

I would put Real Madrid as top of this list due to the way they dominated domestically and in Europe for a long time.  I would give 2nd place to the Australian cricket team.  3rd is split between Liverpool and AC Milan.

Obviously, I don't know about some other sports - Rugby, Hockey, underwater netball, etc. so I can't comment on these sports.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: Nov 17, 2008 04:33:48 am
      Tiger Woods  :f_tongueincheek:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #22: Nov 17, 2008 05:10:59 am
      How about a skateboarder Rodney Mullen?
      Not a sports team but he has entered 35 competitions and only lost once, including a 10 yeard dominance called the Mullen decade. Plus, he was a straight A's student at school. Now owns a skateboard company and is a multi millionaire.

Quick Reply