Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

World's most successful sports team?

Read 27223 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: World's most successful sports team?
      Reply #23: Nov 17, 2008 06:33:40 am
      A Premier league team might have more money but that is countered by having to play better opponents.

For me, the greatest team must play a worldwide sport, have been up with the best for a long time, have won an unparalleled amount of trophies/whatever they play for.

I'm not defending Rangers here but, they can only play against teams that are in there league (Mickey mouse as I call it !) but I read some time ago that they have over 50 titles ,against top Scottish opposition (Don't laugh ! :f_tongueincheek:) they're beating teams put before them !
      what else can they do (I know A ex pro, who's a Rangers fan who say's they'd beat the English teams week in week out if there was a Britsih league but until there is we won't know !
      as I said i read this fact a while ago and it may not be correct but believe to be true !
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2008 06:40:12 am by frizzby5 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #24: Nov 17, 2008 11:10:44 am
      It's difficult to judge which is most succesfull due to factors like

1- years active(since it was established)
      example - a team active for a longer time definitely has more chance of winning more trophies

2- amount of money they have
      example - a premier league team has more trophies than a 3rd division team that has 1000 times less money they're able to spend

Titles won.  Every single football club in England could progress to the Premiership.  Therefore winning the top division is the pinnacle of any English club and the standard by which its success can be measured compared to it's peers.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #25: Nov 17, 2008 11:23:48 am
      I'm not defending Rangers here but, they can only play against teams that are in there league (Mickey mouse as I call it !) but I read some time ago that they have over 50 titles ,against top Scottish opposition (Don't laugh ! :f_tongueincheek:) they're beating teams put before them !
      what else can they do (I know A ex pro, who's a Rangers fan who say's they'd beat the English teams week in week out if there was a Britsih league but until there is we won't know !
      as I said I read this fact a while ago and it may not be correct but believe to be true !

The only way they can be judged is when they play against teams from around the continent - then they are not restricted to playing against "Mickey Mouse" teams.

I know Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 but apart fom that and a CWC for Rangers a million years ago, they're not exactly Giants of Europe are they?

Being the best in your local (inferior) league can only get you so far - to be the best you must regularly beat the best.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Nov 17, 2008 11:43:58 am
      what else can they do (I know A ex pro, who's a Rangers fan who say's they'd beat the English teams week in week out if there was a Britsih league but until there is we won't know !as I said I read this fact a while ago and it may not be correct but believe to be true !

Erm  ??? I don't think so......We absolutely battered them in pre-season, if they played in the English Premiership, they'd be a middle of the table type of side, nothing more.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #27: Nov 17, 2008 12:20:06 pm
      Erm  ??? I don't think so......We absolutely battered them in pre-season, if they played in the English Premiership, they'd be a middle of the table type of side, nothing more.

Exactly, that's what i thought. Personally, i feel that only Spanish and Italian teams can compete. Bayern Munich, Celtic , Rangers, PSV, Ajax may be the best in their local leagues but i don't see them being able to beat the Premier League's, La Liga's and Serie A's big teams.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #28: Nov 17, 2008 02:10:12 pm
      Aren't preseason games allegedly friendliies ? no real competative edge there, if your comparing us against them then surely you should be talking about games that matter like the european games we've played against Scotish opposition ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #29: Nov 18, 2008 12:56:50 am
      Why? Scottish football is second-rate these days.

Celtic and Rangers may be the big fish in that small pool, but when they get into the big waters of Europe, they get bitten.

The comparison between ourselves and every other British/Irish football club ends when the European cup is mentioned.

The most succesful teams in Europe are thus: Real Madrid, AC Milan, Liverpool............... .............etc etc
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #30: Nov 18, 2008 01:12:17 am
      I don't see Bayern Munich of Germany, Celtic and Rangers of Scotland, PSV and Ajax of Holland giving EPL's,La Liga's and Serie A's big teams a tough time.

Those teams only have a chance when they play at home.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #31: Nov 18, 2008 09:53:43 am
      Why? Scottish football is second-rate these days.

Celtic and Rangers may be the big fish in that small pool, but when they get into the big waters of Europe, they get bitten.

The comparison between ourselves and every other British/Irish football club ends when the European cup is mentioned.

The most succesful teams in Europe are thus: Real Madrid, AC Milan, Liverpool............... .............etc etc

Second rate or not Between them Celtic and Rangers win their domestic league every season adding to their success (the title of this thread) they may not do as well as us when in Europe but with a league title added every year there achievements are recorded for all to see, no one can take Nottingham Forests acheivements away from them !
      If you're talking about European success then fair enough, but a European cup and EUFA cup win 19yrs is not up covering us in glory either !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #32: Nov 18, 2008 01:44:34 pm
      But the fact we won five, 6 of those 19 years we were banned, smart arse!

Simple fact is Scottish football is sh*te! Why don't you go and support Rangers or Celtic then!

If you think Rangers or Celtic are bigger then us, you're seriously F***ing deluded.

The European Cup is the only measure of greatness! AND WE'VE WON F***ing FIVE!!!

Rangers have won how many European Cups? Celtic have won 1, 40 F***ing years ago.

And at least we won that UEFA Cup, which is a bit more better then say losing to Porto in Sevilla in Celtic's case, or Rangers getting beat by some Russian no-marks, then destroying a town centre!

Simple facts are Frizzby, if we were in that Scottish league, we'd win it every season. Would Celtic or Rangers win the League if they moved into the premier league, I doubt it.

The defence rests!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #33: Nov 18, 2008 02:04:06 pm
      There is no case to rest Huyton Red, this is a discussion about the most successful sports (not just fotball team ) we're not just discusing present or recent success were talking about the history and success of clubs in various sports !
      In mine and your case were discussing Liverpool and Rangers, and I agree with you if we were in the Scottish prem we would beat the likes of Celtic and Rangers but we're not and neither can they be in our league.
      If your talking of the European cup being the only measure of success of football then yes you are correct in the fact that Liverpool are the uk's leading team regarding wins in that competion
      Please don't forget that Rangers won a European trophy  before us in 1972.
      please also don't forget this thread is about the worlds most successful team (Specifically the amount of trophy's and titles) in which case Rangers achievements outweigh our own (but I for one would think that any Rangers fan would trade places with us, I'ts not their fault there in a mickey mouse league) 
      they could also level at us the fact that we can fiinsh in the top 4 to get into the champions league (a title I disagree with and a tournament I believe we shouldn't enter unless we are champions) whereas they have to at least finish 2nd.
      oh by the way if the minus is from you for me voicing MY opinion then THANKS MATE ! :f_steam: 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #34: Nov 18, 2008 03:47:38 pm
      No wasn't from me, couldn't give a toss about ratings in all honesty.

How can you compare teams from other sports though, surely if we're gonna talk about succesful teams, then they have to include the great Chicago Bulls basketball team featuring Michael Jordan. But could you compare that with ANY achievements made by a football team or Rugby team. In my eyes Basketball is nothing more than a no-contact sport, which means it ain't that competitive.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the Australian cricket team, for me that would be circa 1989 - 2007, one of the most successful international sides, hunger desire etc, but are they as good as say the old New York Yankees side that featured Babe Ruth?

IMO its very hard to compare different sports teams, you can only compare them to their opponents of there respective sports.

Regarding rangers achievements, The European Cup is the barometer of success in European footy, otherwise Chelsea would be the greatest team on the planet, well according to Peter Kenyon anyway! The European Cup, is rightly, seen as the biggest club competition in the world - bigger than the South American version as well, so yes by that evaluation, were the third biggest team in Europe!

One question though, if the Scottish league is as good as the English league, why do Celtic and Rangers always keep getting mentioned about joining the Prem.

Simple fact is the SPL is not regarded in the same way as the english league, so when you consider the type of opposition Rangers or Celtic play - you understand why it is so easy for them to rack up 10 titles in ten years or the amount of league titles they have won, by that argument if we had the same opposition, Liverpool could easily have won 100 titles.

I'll say it again Scottish football is sh*te. FACT!! Has been for the last 20 years, when they consider Shaun Maloney, Barry Ferguson, Darren Fletcher good players, then it's obvious Scottish football is poor.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #35: Nov 18, 2008 06:03:26 pm
      If you are talking about North American sports

Montreal Canadians won 24 titles in ice hockey
      New York Yankees won 26 titles in baseball
      Boston Celtic won 17 titles in basketball
      Green Bay Packers won 12 professional title in American Football
      Toronto Argonauts won 15 titles in Canadian Football (Canadians league of American Football)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #36: Nov 18, 2008 09:07:48 pm
      No wasn't from me, couldn't give a toss about ratings in all honesty.

How can you compare teams from other sports though, surely if we're gonna talk about succesful teams, then they have to include the great Chicago Bulls basketball team featuring Michael Jordan. But could you compare that with ANY achievements made by a football team or Rugby team. In my eyes Basketball is nothing more than a no-contact sport, which means it ain't that competitive.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the Australian cricket team, for me that would be circa 1989 - 2007, one of the most successful international sides, hunger desire etc, but are they as good as say the old New York Yankees side that featured Babe Ruth?

IMO its very hard to compare different sports teams, you can only compare them to their opponents of there respective sports.

Regarding rangers achievements, The European Cup is the barometer of success in European footy, otherwise Chelsea would be the greatest team on the planet, well according to Peter Kenyon anyway! The European Cup, is rightly, seen as the biggest club competition in the world - bigger than the South American version as well, so yes by that evaluation, were the third biggest team in Europe!

One question though, if the Scottish league is as good as the English league, why do Celtic and Rangers always keep getting mentioned about joining the Prem.

Simple fact is the SPL is not regarded in the same way as the english league, so when you consider the type of opposition Rangers or Celtic play - you understand why it is so easy for them to rack up 10 titles in ten years or the amount of league titles they have won, by that argument if we had the same opposition, Liverpool could easily have won 100 titles.

I'll say it again Scottish football is sh*te. FACT!! Has been for the last 20 years, when they consider Shaun Maloney, Barry Ferguson, Darren Fletcher good players, then it's obvious Scottish football is poor.
      I think for once we're in almost total agreement, scottish football is sh*te , but Rangers and Celtic are stuck with it, maybe if we we're the 50 titles Rangers have would be ours and more !
      if you compare other sports with football they can only do so by comparing titles as I  did with Rangers and ourselves and it is the only time I put them before Liverpool they can only win what's put before them.
      Talking of the European Cup it used to be that only the champions of the domestic leagues (including Scotland ) competed in it , then they call it the Champions league and let RUNNERS UP in ! where the f**k is the sense in that ! (money maybe ?)
      I've never agreed with it and in all honesty I wish it was the way it used to be ! I know we wouldn't have no 5 but the likes of the scum would be 2 less as well !
      looking at Adammac comments regarding other sports champions, then Rangers knock them into a cocked hat as well !
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #37: Nov 19, 2008 05:11:19 am
      Even if you look at football in my part of the world there isn't a side who is near the success that Rangers does though it is different situation because a lot of the leagues never really were formed til the early 60's

Chivas Guadalajara have 11 titles (Mexico)
      Deportivo Saprissa have 27 titles (Costa Rica)
      Olimpia have 21 titles (Honduras)
      Municipal have 26 titles (Guatemala)
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2008 01:19:25 pm
      Brasil, 5 world cups! only comes around every 4 years and with not many players in their home league, that is quite an achievment.

Australian Rugby league team.  they just win everything and have done for so long.

LiverpoolFC of course
      Real Madrid
      AC Milan

This based on league wins and European Cups.
      haydzrox
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • Justice for the 96
      Reply #39: Nov 27, 2008 07:43:48 am
      port adelaide football club aussie rules 36 league titles since 1870
      sorry adelaide red but i'm an aussie i cant help but try work out what u mean by Port Adelaide as they have only been in the AFL since 1997 and have only won 1 premiership?
      Explain please thanks
      Go the BOMBERS!

Also in the AFL Essendon have won 16 AFL/VFL premierships. Most of any AFL/VFL team.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #40: Jan 01, 2009 01:35:20 pm
      I think he meant the amount of SANFL premierships that the Port Magpies have won.

Go the Bombers!    (I like the way you conveniently left out the fact that Carlton have also 16 Premierships!)
      I hate them almost as much as ManUre
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #41: Apr 01, 2009 09:45:25 pm
      The most "Successful" sports team is subjective.  You cant compare a Hockey team to a Basketball or Football team. To determine the "Most Successful" it has to be based on the Individual league and the rules/guidelines which dictate a league champion.

The following are generally regarded as most successful in the given sports "Top League"

Baseball...New York Yankees..26 Championships
      Hockey..Montreal Canadiens...24 Championships
      Basketball...Boston Celtics...17 Championships
      Football...Pittsburgh Steelers...6 Championships

Football...Glasgow Rangers...50 Championships... Scotland
      Football...Liverpool...1 8 Championships... England
      Football...Juventes...27 Championships... Italy
      Football...Olympic...10 Championships...France
      Football...Real Madrid...31 Championships...Spain
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #42: Apr 11, 2009 01:04:57 am
      Even if you look at football in my part of the world there isn't a side who is near the success that Rangers does though it is different situation because a lot of the leagues never really were formed til the early 60's

Chivas Guadalajara have 11 titles (Mexico)
      Deportivo Saprissa have 27 titles (Costa Rica)
      Olimpia have 21 titles (Honduras)
      Municipal have 26 titles (Guatemala)

Saprissa has 27 league titles in only 60 years of being in 1° division in Costa Rica  ;D
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #43: Apr 12, 2009 12:37:11 pm
      There is only one answer.

Liverpool FC.

You'll Never Walk Alone.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #44: Apr 12, 2009 02:38:24 pm
      There is only one answer.

Liverpool FC.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Great post mate - Totally Agree ;D
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #45: May 03, 2009 09:33:21 am
      In Gaelic Football, Kerry have won 35 championship titles in something like 120 years and the league title 19 times in about 80 years. Thinking outside the box here

Quick Reply