Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Congrats United

Read 7293 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Congrats United
      May 06, 2007 10:30:05 pm
      <gulp>

Well done to United - over the course of the season (obviously) deserved to win the league.  I don't know how you did it because on paper I don't actually rate your squad.  But Ronaldo has been great - especially after the World Cup rollicking he could have had, and Scholes has been influential.

Would I have traded a place in the European Cup Final for the league title? Of course I would.

Anyway well done Ferguson, even though your European record is poor you clearly have a knack of reproducing sides to win the English title.

I hope this spurs the mighty reds on to mounting a serious challenge for the title rather than the half-arsed attempt of last season.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2007 10:30:38 pm by JD »
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Re: Congrats United
      Reply #1: May 07, 2007 02:58:23 am
      Credit where credit's due (he says tounge in cheek)  ::)

United have obviously played some stunning footy this season and are worthy winners (I keep looking over my shoulder in case any Liverpool fans are watching me type this)  :o.

Last weeks' recovery from 2-0 down at Goodison epitomizes their desire to produce the sucker punch when it is needed. Not once but 4 times!
      They even did us in the same manner after being TOTALLY OUTCLASSED throughout the whole match. That defeat still hurts.

And as for the squad, some great players... Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes & Rooney. Alex Ferguson deserves a mention too for having the vision. Bloody Mancs.

(Us loosing to Utd but beating Chelsea 2-0 and Utd beating Everton 4-2 after being 2-0 down means the chavs lost the title in the scheme of things - and I love that in as much as Mourhinio and the chavs can shut the f**k up now, I'm surrounded by "just-turned-up we-are-the champions bullshit! I'm surrounded by them down here in London!)
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2007 02:59:23 am by RED1028 »
      USLiverpoolfan
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #2: May 07, 2007 04:08:40 am
      Yeah,  would have liked to see Liverpool finish a little better, but hey, I got the chance to come to Anfield from the US with my son and watch them thrash Arsenal 4-1.  Really enjoyed the whole football scene!  Had to explain some new words to my 13 year old.  Anyways, here's hoping that Mourinho realizes his job is in jeopardy after having being knocked out  of the Champions league by Gerrard et al and out of the premiership by the Mancs!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007 04:05:16 am by USLiverpoolfan »
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #3: May 07, 2007 08:50:22 am
      Pains me to say it but well done to them.  Ferguson has shown how good a manager he is again.  For me without the signing of Henrik Larsson they would not have won the league and quite possibly be out of the FA Cup.  It was a smart piece of business and it was only when he left that they begun to have a few wobbles here and there. 
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: May 07, 2007 09:51:20 am
      Well done to them. I'd much rather Utd win the league and FA Cup and even CL if they were in it than Chelsea. Utd play quality, and win properly, not lucky 1-0 wins scored in 88th minute like Chelsea.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #5: May 07, 2007 12:36:59 pm
      Must admit well done to Utd, I have to say they have been the best team in the Prem. this season and are worthy winners.
      I have been asked by a few of there fans which I would prefer - the Prem. or Europe

I would love the Prem, but at the mo, looking at the big picture,

1. we have new owners with money
      2. we are getting a new ground
      3. we are in our 7th european cup final

If we are to attract the big name players, we need to be seen successful all over the World and what better way of doing that then winning old big ears. (again)
      So in my opinion, I'll take the Euro glory this season, watch the transfers coming in and then next season I would swop the Euro for the Prem.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: May 07, 2007 01:34:19 pm
      Has everyone gone crackers?!?

Congrats Utd - not.

I couldn't really give one about Man Utd winning the League.

Just that we failed to pressure the top sides - yet again, it has been a poor domestic season in truth.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: May 07, 2007 03:05:29 pm
      Yes, congrats to Man U.

It just goes to show, if you start the season as you mean to go on and make sure goalscoring opportunities are taken, then winning the league is possible. And that's what they have shown.

But the future is bright for us as MrTommo has clearly pointed out and we'll be gaining ground on taking a long overdue title sooner rather than later!!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #8: May 07, 2007 03:44:22 pm
      Has everyone gone crackers?!?

Congrats Utd - not.

I couldn't really give one about Man Utd winning the League.

Just that we failed to pressure the top sides - yet again, it has been a poor domestic season in truth.

Humble in defeat, credit where it's due etc etc. Come on mate dont go all Mourhinio on us!
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #9: May 07, 2007 05:54:44 pm
      I have to join in, and say well done Man.U.

Keep the dust off the cup, because its coming home next season
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #10: May 07, 2007 06:51:41 pm
      I would rather any other team had won the League as it pains me to see Man ure win anything, but you do have to give credit where its due and they have been the best and deserve it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #11: May 07, 2007 07:33:10 pm
      Like you all it pains me to say it but well done Man U on the title. Although like JD I didnt rate their squad at all at the beggining of the season. I bet £40 with to of my Man U mates that we would finish higher as I thought their squad wasnt up to much. It just shows you that a good start and consistency throughout the season  can make up for shortcomongs in a squad. This should spur us on for next year to take it back of them!!
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: May 07, 2007 08:31:56 pm
      The team that played the best football won the league and thats as it should be, to every decent Man U fan who follows there team around i am also pleased for you as a fellow fan and hope we are in the same situation that you are next year but with the added bonus that we are also still in the European Cup. ;D
      I hope you all get where I'm comming from when i say i will give them every plaudit they deserve as they are the class act in the Premiership this year, but one thing i wont do is congratulate them thats something you reserve for a team who you have given a close run for there money and maybe lost out by a point or so, somebody you have competed against and this year we haven't competed.
      Now next year that will be a different matter! ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: May 07, 2007 08:56:46 pm
      The team that played the best football won the league and thats as it should be, to every decent Man U fan who follows there team around I am also pleased for you as a fellow fan and hope we are in the same situation that you are next year but with the added bonus that we are also still in the European Cup. ;D
      I hope you all get where I'm comming from when I say I will give them every plaudit they deserve as they are the class act in the Premiership this year, but one thing I wont do is congratulate them thats something you reserve for a team who you have given a close run for there money and maybe lost out by a point or so, somebody you have competed against and this year we haven't competed.
      Now next year that will be a different matter! ;)

Very well said Glenbuck.

Now lets lock this thread  ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: May 07, 2007 11:18:10 pm
      Humble in defeat, credit where it's due etc etc. Come on mate dont go all Mourhinio on us!

I'm not going Mourinho, I'm simply expressing my dislike for Manchester United.

Do you think for one second they would congratulate us on winning the League?
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #15: May 08, 2007 12:25:27 am

Thats what makes Liverpool different, don't judge yourself on the standards that you think fans of other clubs would set. Be humble in defeat and then express a desire to put things right. Class has always set us apart, Arsenal and Leeds both wrote letters in the past expressing there gratitude to Liverpool fans for the way they reacted when those clubs clinched the tittle at Anfield. The fact that we have a greater dislike for United shouldn't stop us from being gracious but act as a catalyst for a greater effort next year.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #16: May 08, 2007 12:33:46 am

Perhaps not and as a TRUE RED there's nothing more grinding than them doing better than us!

Utd actually raised the bar this year with their football as did Arsenal when they were 49 unbeaten between May 2003 and October 2004. (I bet it would have been 50 if Rio Ferdinand had been booked / sent off for being the last man and a dodgy ref on duty!) Unbeaten Champions, that has never happened before or since!

Please express your dislike for Utd, I'm intigued!
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2007 12:35:02 am by RED1028 »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #17: May 08, 2007 12:58:20 pm
      Hate utd and Chelsea, but as said before you have to respect the way they've done it, Most consistant team won the league. Fair play

b******s !

oh well, roll on the 23rd ;)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: May 08, 2007 01:40:37 pm
      If we win on the 23rd i can live with this at least Mourinho never won it eh,i really cant stick him.
      Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #19: May 08, 2007 01:44:17 pm

Any decent football fan would do that mate. This United fan wouldn't be over the moon to offer congratulations to Liverpool if they were to win the title but I'd do it without any reservations at all. You Scouser old-timers know the game - the league table NEVER lies.You should know - you've been there 18 times.

Oh and BTW, I disagree with another poster on here who says you only congratulate a side that you've run close. That's cack. You congratulate a side who have topped out the table over 38 games whether you've run 'em close or not. They've battled for it home and away through those 30-odd games and as I said earlier, the table never lies.
      .... 16 and closing lads........ ;) ;) :P
      gibbo6 times
      • Forum Youth Player

• 22 posts |
      Reply #20: May 08, 2007 01:51:12 pm
      congrats utd.

They have to be given respect for their efforts. They had eight players in team of the year. so lets give them some credit. although I dont want to.
      Ronaldo has been awesome for them.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #21: May 08, 2007 03:33:39 pm
      Best team won the league simple as that. O and JohnoWhite, dont think this is going to become a reguler thing cos next season Liverpool will be bringing back that long overdue title!  ;)
      Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #22: May 08, 2007 05:04:12 pm
      Best team won the league simple as that. O and JohnoWhite, dont think this is going to become a reguler thing cos next season Liverpool will be bringing back that long overdue title!  ;)

The thought never crossed my mind.........(may God forgive me!) ;) ;) Good luck in Athens - they CAN be taken - just believe it.

Quick Reply