Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AFL (Australian Rules Football)

Read 73308 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: AFL (Australian Rules Football)
      Reply #276: Apr 27, 2016 07:56:42 am
      It's amazing how far they've fallen in just a year

Such a good team still on paper but doing horribly this year, worse than Port which takes some doing!

Honestly was predicting it last year myself - aging squad, Ross Lyon team etc. Not quite as dramatic as this though, thought they'd just drop into that mid-table range, but this has been a shocking start! Fyfe injury really puts a nail in the coffin, can't think we'll see him back this year which is a tragedy.

Just watching the Collingwood vs Essendon game from the other day, it's crazy to think there were 90k-100k reds in that stadium a few years ago singing YNWA!

I'm sick of watching blow outs this season, BT Sport always pick the most one sided games to show on TV :D 59-7 and there's still 16 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Unfortunately that is the traditional ANZAC match up - which sucks this year with Essendon a patch squad with all those suspensions. Thought it may have been a bit more competitive with the Colliwobbles doing their thing, but no :D

They played so good in the first quarter but then like you said, Geelong started to get a little bit of confidence, got a couple of scores and then Port just capitulated. Even as somebody new to the sport I can tell there's a good team there but they look a little bit disorganised. There are times when they seem to over-commit in some areas which in turn leaves huge gaps for the opposition in key areas.

I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was seeing the other day/night. On one occasion there was a guy running with the ball and instead of putting some meat on the pass he simply just tapped it to an opponent right in front of him on the edge of his own 50. I genuinely had the impression he was spot fixing it was that bad :D.

Does the problem lie solely with the players or is it a coaching thing? And what was the consensus among fans as to where Port could finish this season? Going off what you and some others have said it seems there were some solid expectations to be at least up there.

Must be annoying for you long time fans having to put up with this sh*t.

I think it's coaching. We had a couple wonderful assistants who have gone off to head coach elsewhere (Richardson at St Kilda now, and Walsh at the Crows until he was murdered by his kid last year - yes you read that right!) - Our midfield was a F***ing beautiful thing with Walshy, and since Voss has come in it looks a shambles. Also think that there is so much focus put on this "brave" football that Hinkley bangs on about, that we have lacked a lot of focus on basic footy fundamentals. We were a hard tackling, hard pressing, silly skilled fast moving side two years ago. Same squad is in place besides a couple good recruitments, yet we seem to be the exact opposite. Stagnant, can't land a kick or handball, miss tackles, second to the ball, slow etc. They look like they are confused a lot, and this is where the challenge lies for Hinkley now. I love him as a coach and motivator, think he will get it right... but the time is now. This is his first true challenge to see if he can turn around a bad situation.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #277: Apr 27, 2016 09:49:31 am
      Unfortunately that is the traditional ANZAC match up - which sucks this year with Essendon a patch squad with all those suspensions. Thought it may have been a bit more competitive with the Colliwobbles doing their thing, but no :D

I think it's coaching. We had a couple wonderful assistants who have gone off to head coach elsewhere (Richardson at St Kilda now, and Walsh at the Crows until he was murdered by his kid last year - yes you read that right!) - Our midfield was a F***ing beautiful thing with Walshy, and since Voss has come in it looks a shambles. Also think that there is so much focus put on this "brave" football that Hinkley bangs on about, that we have lacked a lot of focus on basic footy fundamentals. We were a hard tackling, hard pressing, silly skilled fast moving side two years ago. Same squad is in place besides a couple good recruitments, yet we seem to be the exact opposite. Stagnant, can't land a kick or handball, miss tackles, second to the ball, slow etc. They look like they are confused a lot, and this is where the challenge lies for Hinkley now. I love him as a coach and motivator, think he will get it right... but the time is now. This is his first true challenge to see if he can turn around a bad situation.

What is it with this league and suspensions? They do it better than any other :D

Not going to lie, I did read that sentence twice. Come to think of it though I'm sure I read about this at the time, was his son on drugs or something?. Watching the games that I have this season you can sort of see how that midfield and style of play existed as they do show it on the odd occasion but it's clearly not been enough.

Just watched the 2nd half of Hawthorn vs Adelaide Crows, pretty funny to see Hawthorn lose it with 30+ seconds to go! :D

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #278: Apr 30, 2016 10:50:57 am
      Port just had a free kick right in front of goal, the guy kicked it wide :lmao:

Are these people blind or something?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #279: Apr 30, 2016 06:33:16 pm
      Port just had a free kick right in front of goal, the guy kicked it wide :lmao:

Are these people blind or something?

What about Westhoff handballing after taking a mark just in front of goal... such poor execution!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #280: May 01, 2016 09:52:34 am
      Carlton just played the ugliest game of footy I have ever witnessed but we got the W and that's 2 in a row for the first time in along time. Well done boys.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #281: May 02, 2016 12:18:16 am
      Carlton just played the ugliest game of footy I have ever witnessed but we got the W and that's 2 in a row for the first time in along time. Well done boys.

You a Carlton man Ian mate?

Poor b***ard! :)

Up the Swannies! :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #282: May 02, 2016 11:54:25 am
      You a Carlton man Ian mate?

Poor b***ard! :)

Up the Swannies! :)

I am mate...yeah been a lean 20+ years mate, sound familiar! Story of my F***ing Sporting Life.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #283: May 13, 2016 01:40:50 am
      I am mate...yeah been a lean 20+ years mate, sound familiar! Story of my f**king Sporting Life.

Port v Carlton in the weekend. Both teams apparently started to play well recently - should be a good game!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #284: May 14, 2016 10:47:16 am
      Ive been watching some AFL and need help. A goal is kicking the ball between the center posts and a try is if its through the l or r side posts? Can a dude just run from one end to the other without passing to another player.?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #285: May 14, 2016 11:25:01 am
      Ive been watching some AFL and need help. A goal is kicking the ball between the center posts and a try is if its through the l or r side posts? Can a dude just run from one end to the other without passing to another player.?

Hi mate, there's no TRY in AFL.

Kicking b/w the big sticks is a Goal and worth 6 points.

Kicking b/w the smaller posts is a point which means it's 1 point. ;D

So you add up the goals and behinds and get a score and try to beat the other teams score.

A player can run down length of the field without passing but it would be bloody hard to do with players chasing him, him having to bounce the ball every 15 metres and his teammates calling him a greedy c**t but it really has never happened,

I think you are crossing your games AFL and Rugby to be honest bud.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #286: May 14, 2016 11:26:18 am

There's no tries. A behind is scored by kicking between the left and right posts, hitting the 2 centre posts or if the ball is touched by the opposition.

In theory he can yes if he bounces the ball every 15 metres. Doesn't really happen though.

Edit: ^ beat me to it
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #287: May 15, 2016 12:24:41 am
      Hi mate, there's no TRY in AFL.

Kicking b/w the big sticks is a Goal and worth 6 points.

Kicking b/w the smaller posts is a point which means it's 1 point. ;D

So you add up the goals and behinds and get a score and try to beat the other teams score.

A player can run down length of the field without passing but it would be bloody hard to do with players chasing him, him having to bounce the ball every 15 metres and his teammates calling him a greedy c**t but it really has never happened,

I think you are crossing your games AFL and Rugby to be honest bud.

I meant point, not try. I think i did confuse it with Rugby. I didnt know you had to bounce it every 15 meters. I saw them constantly passing and kicking the ball and thought that was a rule.
      Ill admit, I like it. I am confused most of the time but i am slowly picking it up. So whos the best team? Who are the Barcalona of AFL?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #288: May 15, 2016 02:54:17 am
      I meant point, not try. I think i did confuse it with Rugby. I didnt know you had to bounce it every 15 meters. I saw them constantly passing and kicking the ball and thought that was a rule.
      Ill admit, I like it. I am confused most of the time but i am slowly picking it up. So whos the best team? Who are the Barcalona of AFL?

At the moment I guess you could say Hawthorn are Barca given their dominance over the last few seasons. Collingwood would have to be the mancs given the lack of brain cells in the support base and general favoritism they get from the AFL (eg: barely having to travel interstate). AFL has a draft system and salary cap in place though so no team dominates for really long periods at a time.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #289: May 15, 2016 06:37:47 am
      Yeah I'd say Hawthorn are the Barca of the AFL for the last 3 years for sure.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #290: May 21, 2016 09:23:57 am
      Tom Jonas with a nasty late elbow to the back of a lad's head. Dirty as F**k but his team mates are F***ing cowards for barely doing anything to prevent him being dragged and thrown to the ground all over the place afterwards.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #291: May 23, 2016 08:56:57 am
      sh*t time to be a South Aussie that isn't a mental c**t (aka Cows fan). Hate the media here sometimes. Port need to get their sh*t together. Could easily be 6-3 right now, but no. How hard is it to play four F***ing quarters.

Ian, your F***ing team has been a major pain in the ass the last two seasons! :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #292: Jun 05, 2016 05:14:41 pm
      Was impressed watching Port Adelaide earlier. They started a little slow for the first few minutes but from then on they were quality.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #293: Jun 06, 2016 09:09:51 am
      Carlton have won 6 of their last 7. Playing some good footy. Thought we would win the Spoon but not looking like it now. Yippeee ky ay motherfuckers.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #294: Jun 11, 2016 05:12:15 am
      What a cracking first quarter between Port and the Doggies.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #295: Jun 11, 2016 09:08:30 am
      Just finished watching the first quarter of the Port Adelaide game. I'm shocked that there is only a 10 point difference considering it's about 9-1 in centre clearances. The Bulldogs are able to just run at them straight away.

Great game to watch though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #296: Jun 11, 2016 09:22:49 am
      This game is quality! The officials are missing a fair few things though.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #297: Jun 11, 2016 03:49:53 pm
      What a game that was. And how disappointing :(

Footscray are such a good side though. I love Caleb Daniels, he looks like a kid playing among full grown men but he knows what to do with the ball. And Jake Stringer is a star.

Note to Travis Boak: a captain HAS to score that goal.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #298: Jun 11, 2016 04:01:57 pm
      What a game that was. And how disappointing :(

Footscray are such a good side though. I love Caleb Daniels, he looks like a kid playing among full grown men but he knows what to do with the ball. And Jake Stringer is a star.

Note to Travis Boak: a captain HAS to score that goal.

Kicking at goal cost them another result. Too many behinds that should have been goals.

Quick Reply