Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

AFL (Australian Rules Football)

Read 73326 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      AFL (Australian Rules Football)
      Nov 18, 2009 05:55:49 pm
      Thought i would start a topic just for any discussion on AFL, mostly for my fellow Aussie friends here. There was one for the finals but since they are done, i thought a proper topic would be nice. With the draft coming up and some big names putting their numbers in, could be an interesting one eh? Where Luke Ball will end up is what im most interested in, as well as where Russell Robertson might end up too.

My Port Adelaide have just revealed their brand new jumper to be used from next season onwards. First real big jumper change since we started, and i have to say im quite a fan already. Very simple, but i like it as it looks like a traditional old school type one. Home jumper is black with a teal and white V coming down around the neck, and the away one is the same but white. Thinking i may have to get my ordering finger out.. ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: AFL (Australian Rules Football)
      Reply #1: Nov 18, 2009 11:18:01 pm
      Nice one bigv. I'm sure this will be a big thread for us Aussies come the start of the new season.

As for Luke Ball, I'm guessing Melbourne will snap him up. Why he'd go there is beyond me  ???

Russell Roberston had a trial at Carlton but don't think that will happen. We delisted Cameron Cloke on the weekend so me thinks Matt Maguire could be added to the list as he has been doing a pre season with us and would be handy down back, freeing up Jarred Waite for the forward line.

I think the first draft is this weekend so will visit this thread again once that happens with some updates for you. Knowing you though you will probably already have them.

Get your finger out and order the new strip. Looks alright even if it is on your blokes  ;)
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #2: Nov 19, 2009 07:36:05 am
      Draft tonight at 6.30 I think I heard on fox sports? No seems not to be... must be some other night
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Nov 19, 2009 06:21:34 pm
      Draft is thursday the 26th of November. One week then!

Melbourne really is a club no one wants to go to i think. If Bally ends up there i can imagine him not being to happy about that, but thats what happens when you nominate for the draft. Its a lottery. Im just glad Port got something for Burger rather than having another Nick Stevens fiasco on our hands (which you profited real well from Aussie ;))

Port have got 3 picks in the top 16 so im gonna be keeping a close eye on this one. It's on here roughly 3pm Wednesday afternoon so ill be logging on and hopefully get a nice feed. I actually wouldn't mind if port had a go at Ball, but the club have said that won't happen. With 3 picks id hope we come out with some quality anyways.

And Aussie Red, my mum emailed from back home and said they were thinking about getting me the new jumper for my birthday in January and sending it over, so ill hold off the finger ;) Pretty stoked that they are gonna do that! ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2009 07:00:25 am
      Nice one bigv..hopefully they buy it for you and you can then spend the saved money on more ale.  You're gonna need it following Port this year  ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #5: Nov 20, 2009 07:29:58 am
      Nice one bigv..hopefully they buy it for you and you can then spend the saved money on more ale.  You're gonna need it following Port this year  ;D

You would know too, being a Carlton fan eh ;)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Nov 20, 2009 07:45:45 am
      Heopefully with Barry Hall joining the Doggies they can finally win their second flag next season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #7: Nov 20, 2009 11:21:21 am
      You would know too, being a Carlton fan eh ;)

Oi !
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #8: Nov 20, 2009 08:01:04 pm

Id been looking for something to get ya on since the Archie Thomson grand final remark :lmao:

Even now ;)

Heopefully with Barry Hall joining the Doggies they can finally win their second flag next season.

That, or an eye gouging contest.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Nov 21, 2009 08:25:37 am
      Damn shame Hall signed for the Dogs because i don't rate him at all and i like the Dogs. But he does add strength and height in the forward line.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #10: Nov 21, 2009 08:36:05 am

Id been looking for something to get ya on since the Archie Thomson grand final remark :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No, not even  ;)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #11: Nov 21, 2009 08:51:27 am
      Damn shame Hall signed for the Dogs because i don't rate him at all and i like the Dogs. But he does add strength and height in the forward line.
      Hall is what Bulldogs have been lacking a big power forward I think the question will be can he keep his head and not smack someone.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Nov 21, 2009 04:00:36 pm
      Hall is what Bulldogs have been lacking a big power forward I think the question will be can he keep his head and not smack someone.

I live in Sydney, i've seen that side of him all too often.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Nov 25, 2009 06:15:12 am

Damn it!!

:D

Hall will lose it again I reckon. He has made more and then broken more promises than Babel and Voronin combined.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #14: Dec 31, 2009 04:13:56 am
      How different is Aussie Rules and Rugby. I dont know enough about both sports they generally look the same and the tactics and matches look similar.They both 'Scrum" and then constantly pitch the ball to the next man on the side and just try to move it to the endzone. But I dont know the differences.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2009 10:10:38 am
      Quite different i think, YANK. I will get on to a more in depth explanation when im more sober though ;) But it is vastly different, Aussie Rules is quite unique in it being a bit of a mish mash of different sports.

Miss playing Aussie Rules a little, though. Played a lot in my younger kid days, gave it up and now wish id kept going. I wasn't that greater player, but i had a great time out there. Despite the occasional dick head team mates i had to deal with ::)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16: Jan 01, 2010 04:18:35 pm
      Aussie rules is a more open style game with different kicking and passing technique.

Rugby is more 'set out' in a way that it has more to do with positioning and less roaming, as opposed to Aussie rules.

Here's a bit of rugby:

Amazing Rugby Tries

Here's some Aussie Rules:

AFL - Highlights Of 2007

The aim of Rugby is to score a 'try' in the opposition 'end zone' by placing it in the area. Aussie Rules requires the ball to be kicked through posts for a 6-pointer or a 'behind' (1 point) if it goes to either side of the middle posts but lands within the outside posts.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #17: Jan 01, 2010 04:28:45 pm
      Nothing to do with the rules of AFL buts it's kind of annoying that they kept showing highlights of the same few teams.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #18: Jan 04, 2010 11:36:36 am
      Hopefully my beloved Bombers have a good season this time round. New captain in Jobe Watson appointed, and looking forward to his leadership.
      Still rebuilding but future looks good (easy Aussie!)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2010 11:48:01 am
      For starters, where the F**k have you been  ;)

Jobe might be alright as a captain mate but the rest of them are crap  ;D
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2010 11:54:59 am
      Gee, you were quick! Been very busy with a lot of things mate.

We have a very promising list mate, so up yours and good luck without your Talisman/philanderer/wizzer/arse-clown this season  :D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2010 12:21:07 pm
      2010 is the Doggies year I just know it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2010 07:59:23 pm
      2010 will be the Powers year... to at least learn to play four-quarter football :D

Quick Reply