Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

AFL (Australian Rules Football)

Read 73319 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: AFL (Australian Rules Football)
      Reply #23: Jan 04, 2010 09:17:28 pm
      If I "followed" this I would follow the Crows, only because I have a few friends in Adelaide.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #24: Jan 04, 2010 10:49:31 pm
      ^^ Then you and BigV will get on like a house on fire, being a Crows fan and all  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Jan 05, 2010 12:51:48 am
      If I "followed" this I would follow the Crows, only because I have a few friends in Adelaide.

Umm... theres this team called Port Adelaide Power, better team. Actually have a few men that play, rather than a bunch of women ::)

Also the team we spawned from to get into the AFL, the Port Adelaide Magpies, is the most succesful club in the land with 36 titles. So kinda like Liverpool ;)

^^ Then you and BigV will get on like a house on fire, being a Crows fan and all  ;)

Oh yeah, like literally, i would burn his house down for being a crows fan :laugh:

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #26: Jan 05, 2010 08:56:27 am
      I'll stick to the Crows, not going to change just because the Power are the most successful team, you'll have me changing me from the Jets next.

Power has FAR too much Blue.

Where as the Crows is a bit eclectic.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 09:02:17 am by RedPuppy »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #27: Jan 05, 2010 11:46:14 am
      the Port Adelaide Magpies, is the most succesful club in the land with 36 titles. So kinda like Liverpool ;)
      But isn't that kind of saying that a team that won the League 1 the most times is the most successful team in the land? ;)
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2010 02:04:30 pm by Dmasta »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #28: Jan 05, 2010 12:29:39 pm
      Does Port Adelaide have 2 teams? Power and Magpies?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #29: Jan 05, 2010 12:52:02 pm
      I could watch it all day absolutely brilliant game but as the name infers it's completely F***ing mad - Australian Rules Football what's all that about? As we all know in Oz there are no rules or if there are no one take any notice of them and the same applies to the national game-long may it continue.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #30: Jan 05, 2010 02:06:14 pm
      Does Port Adelaide have 2 teams? Power and Magpies?
      They were originally called the Port Adelaide Magpies when they were in the SANFL and then when they joined the AFL the changed their named to Port Adelaide Power as there is already a Magpies (Collingwood).
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Jan 05, 2010 02:08:17 pm
      I could watch it all day absolutely brilliant game but as the name infers it's completely F***ing mad - Australian Rules Football what's all that about? As we all know in Oz there are no rules or if there are no one take any notice of them and the same applies to the national game-long may it continue.

You should watch rugby league, Aussie style!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #32: Jan 05, 2010 02:15:33 pm
      You should watch rugby league, Aussie style!
      Seen that as well mate the same thing applies - totally F***ing mad.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #33: Jan 05, 2010 07:15:30 pm
      They were originally called the Port Adelaide Magpies when they were in the SANFL and then when they joined the AFL the changed their named to Port Adelaide Power as there is already a Magpies (Collingwood).

Cheers.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Jan 05, 2010 08:27:23 pm
      But isn't that kind of saying that a team that won the League 1 the most times is the most successful team in the land? ;)

Um.. touche sir :D

But, the SANFL was just as tough as the AFL once was, because up until the 80's when the VFL started adding teams to eventually turn into the AFL, the SANFL was just as big as the VFL.

So there ;) :D

And yeah, those Collingwood cu*ts wouldn't allow us in with our SANFL colours and name. Hence the adding of TEAL to our jumper, not blue ;) We have the same training base as the SANFL team though, and our coach is also the son of Port Magpies Legend Fos Williams, who is like the Shankly of Port Adelaide.

And i'll have you know crows fans have the reputation for being rich snobs, or the "Chardonney Set" as we call them, while Port fans are the beer drinking, loud and crazy, boozers. I know where id rather be :D
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #35: Jan 05, 2010 11:17:26 pm
      Why are all AFL players dickheads off the field? Fevola with all his sh*t, Lovett and now the other 3 or 4 Carlton idiots.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Jan 05, 2010 11:52:30 pm
      Why are all AFL players dickheads off the field? Fevola with all his sh*t, Lovett and now the other 3 or 4 Carlton idiots.

Happens in any sport mate. Look at the NRL, Premier League, NBA, anything. Any famous person will have anything minor blown up to something big. Though often the things they do are completely wrong as well. Some of the sh*te NRL players get themselves into is truly horrible, all the sex scandals the last few years.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #37: Jan 06, 2010 09:27:34 am

But, the SANFL was just as tough as the AFL once was, because up until the 80's when the VFL started adding teams to eventually turn into the AFL, the SANFL was just as big as the VFL.

So there ;) :D

And yeah, those Collingwood cu*ts wouldn't allow us in with our SANFL colours and name. Hence the adding of TEAL to our jumper, not blue ;) We have the same training base as the SANFL team though, and our coach is also the son of Port Magpies Legend Fos Williams, who is like the Shankly of Port Adelaide.

And I'll have you know crows fans have the reputation for being rich snobs, or the "Chardonney Set" as we call them, while Port fans are the beer drinking, loud and crazy, boozers. I know where id rather be :D

My friends live in the Hills/ South East, so Crows for me. :drink: Still have a good time with wine.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #38: Jan 06, 2010 10:43:39 am

Yeah it's the same with the WAFL the East Fremantle Sharks (my local team) have a shitload of premierships they are unfortunately nowhere near as successful now since the AFL poach all their players.

On another subject IMO the only reason that Victoria (think they) produce the best players is because all the good players from around the country moved to Victoria to play in the VFL, ended up staying there and now their kids who play in the AFL are considered Victorians.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #39: Jan 09, 2010 12:34:41 pm

I honestly think the same sh*t has been going on for decades but was either not outed, or kept hush hush. We are now in the internet age where the common joe and media is scrutinising every bit of minutae of the players lives. It's the information age where mobile phones are at the ready with digital cameras as well. Current players have got nowhere to hide anymore as they are in the constant glare of the media spotlight.

Also I think, with spiralling wages that are much higher than they used to be, and the players are coming into the AFL at much younger ages. More money than they know what to do with and they can get a little out of control.

I admire players like Jimmy Hird who got a great education while still playing and now he is prominent in the business world. And I'm not just saying that because he's a Bomber.....or maybe I am!....Aaaah F**k off all you blues, pies and doggie fans  ;D ( BigV, you are exempt from my wrath )
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #40: Jan 11, 2010 01:22:16 pm
      I have no doubt that the media escalates every little wrong doing of all sports people nowadays. Maybe thats just it, but there does seem alot of AFL players, more than cricketers or golfers
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Jan 11, 2010 01:26:25 pm
      AFL players are the worst, no doubt, but it's little wrong doings that people get busted for every single day.

Getting booted out of a club/pub, taking a piss in public, being immature on the street. It's all blown up. They're mostly idiots, that's why they're playing footy and not in performing surgery!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #42: Jan 11, 2010 01:28:25 pm
      I think the NRL players are worse personally.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: Jan 11, 2010 01:34:09 pm
      I think the NRL players are worse personally.

NRL players have less convictions to their names, but slightly more 'upper scale crime'. Both codes have drugs also.

Other than the group sex scandal and the Newcastle Knights' drug claims (Andrew Johns taking drugs and Danny Wicks being in a drug circle), it's the same kind of thing; players taking dumps in hotels, drunken nights out, pissing in public.

Some are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, ie. Marshall getting shot at in the Kings Cross and Frank Pritchard's brother getting shot in the arm (i think thats where he was shot?). That wasn't their fault.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #44: Jan 31, 2010 01:50:48 pm
      Looking forward to the season.

Dunno if ill get to watch much here in the USA, but hopefully catch a bit. Looking forward to how Port go in the post Burgoyne, Lade etc era.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Feb 12, 2010 03:42:11 am
      Been a lot of sh*t happening back in my native South Australia i have been keeping an eye on through that inter-web thingy. My team in the SANFL, and one of the most successful teams in the history of sport with 36 titles, the Port Adelaide Magpies, have been very close to going under which would be tragic. But, big news today as a South Aussie businessman has stepped in and said he will step up his own sponsorship of the club, virtually clearing all debt and buying the club time to build a new business plan. F***ing cheering, this would be like Liverpool or the New York Yankees going out of business as far as the teams success and history goes. I signed the petition and everything, and im so happy to see they are going to continue :)

Quick Reply