Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Paulo DiCanio Tribute

Read 4842 times
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Paulo DiCanio Tribute
      May 07, 2007 08:06:55 pm
      Audacious goal in training

7min 40secs video montage

Dicanios' sublime volley (v the chavs!)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5APUyWNOo

Last game and last goal for West Ham (v the chavs! again!)
      Adam_lfcfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • A team of Carras...apart from up front!!
      Re: Paulo DiCanio Tribute
      Reply #1: May 07, 2007 08:09:54 pm
      No doubt he was a quality player and a good sportsman. If I remember rightly he stopped the game when he was in a good scoring position because a Sheffield Wednesday was down injured. Shame some current players couldnt be the same
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #2: May 07, 2007 09:10:46 pm
      Why start a tribute topic about a player who has no connections with Liverpool ?
      I could understand it if he was ill.

Let's not start topics about this and that player who had a bit of flare in his game.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #3: May 07, 2007 09:11:57 pm
      Good player but you can stick your tribute up his fascist arse!!
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #4: May 07, 2007 10:07:27 pm
      he is fascist >:(
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: May 07, 2007 10:14:22 pm
      Why start a tribute topic about a player who has no connections with Liverpool ?

Let's not start topics about this and that player who had a bit of flare in his game.

Does any decent player had to have had a connection to Liverpool to be given credit for his skill or flair? Or be ill? I remember some of the magic he brought to the game we enjoy watching. As he no longer plays in England thought it would be a good way to revive the memories, simple as that. (And it could have been anyone in example who no longer plays in the UK).
      There are many, many decent players with no connection to Liverpool FC whatsoever, are we to ignore what they brought to the game too?

(I don't care for his politics / beliefs either, I just enjoyed the skill he had playing football!)
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2007 10:17:17 pm by RED1028 »
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #6: May 08, 2007 07:18:36 am
      OK let's all start our tributes to all the flair players.  ::)
      Matt Le Tiss, Benito Carbone, Frank Worthington, Liam Brady et all.

Cy
      Reply #7: May 08, 2007 10:47:47 am
      Does any decent player had to have had a connection to Liverpool to be given credit for his skill or flair? Or be ill? I remember some of the magic he brought to the game we enjoy watching. As he no longer plays in England thought it would be a good way to revive the memories, simple as that. (And it could have been anyone in example who no longer plays in the UK).
      There are many, many decent players with no connection to Liverpool FC whatsoever, are we to ignore what they brought to the game too?

(I don't care for his politics / beliefs either, I just enjoyed the skill he had playing football!)

In this forum I think players had to have connection to the club yes, in this case we could spend the whole discussion to talk about 100's players...

Even if he had some and only too few moments of "kindness" he is not by far the perfect example for young players (cf : 1998 when he pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off while playing for Sheffield Wednesday, making Fascist salutes to celebrate his team winning, he was suspended for one game by the Italian Football Federation and fined 10,000 Euros )

As for his politics and belief, let me remind you these...: Di Canio  has a tattoo on his arm which reads "DVX", which is the Latin used for former Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, Duce ; he is known to have been part of the Ultras fan group (Lazio's Irriducibili) in his youth and even travelled with the group to away matches, make some researches on them and you'll see what kind of fan they are ; also and I quote ""I'm a fascist, not a racist." I like to pointed out that Italian law considers Fascist propaganda a crime and who wouldn't. If you had any kind of decency and respect for our people  fighting against the ideas of fascism and nazism during the war you would at least take in consideration his political belief and what they represent, Di Canio decided to bring it on the pitch and therefore has to be responsible for it.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2007 02:03:35 pm by Cy »
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #8: May 08, 2007 11:15:20 am
      Spot on Cy, you explained that better than me.  People who are meant to be role models who go about flaunting these kind of beliefs are very dangerous indeed.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #9: May 08, 2007 01:10:40 pm
      Agree that the kop should be Liverpool related only, but as it stands, this section is for any Liverpool OR football related, so it's in the right place. There shouold be a general football section coming soon, I'll move the topic then.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #10: May 08, 2007 01:36:44 pm
      what next the Gary Neville tribute?
      Johnnowhite
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #11: May 08, 2007 05:09:36 pm
      In this forum I think players had to have connection to the club yes, in this case we could spend the whole discussion to talk about 100's players...

Even if he had some and only too few moments of "kindness" he is not by far the perfect example for young players (cf : 1998 when he pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off while playing for Sheffield Wednesday, making Fascist salutes to celebrate his team winning, he was suspended for one game by the Italian Football Federation and fined 10,000 Euros )

As for his politics and belief, let me remind you these...: Di Canio  has a tattoo on his arm which reads "DVX", which is the Latin used for former Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, Duce ; he is known to have been part of the Ultras fan group (Lazio's Irriducibili) in his youth and even travelled with the group to away matches, make some researches on them and you'll see what kind of fan they are ; also and I quote ""I'm a fascist, not a racist." I like to pointed out that Italian law considers Fascist propaganda a crime and who wouldn't. If you had any kind of decency and respect for our people  fighting against the ideas of fascism and nazism during the war you would at least take in consideration his political belief and what they represent, Di Canio decided to bring it on the pitch and therefore has to be responsible for it.

Well explained. No platform for fascists can be tolerated. Good player that he was - no time for him or his sort - to quote the Arsenal Chairman!! :P ;D
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #12: May 08, 2007 08:30:30 pm

;D

Yep... it probably is time to split the Liverpool FC and 'other football' in to a separate board.

I did like his chant though.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #13: May 08, 2007 08:40:46 pm
      If you had any kind of decency and respect for our people  fighting against the ideas of fascism and nazism during the war you would at least take in consideration his political belief and what they represent, Di Canio decided to bring it on the pitch and therefore has to be responsible for it.

What started out as a 'tribute' to DiCanio and his football skills turned into a bit of an education as well. I totally understand all of your opinions about fascism and while not being too educated on that issue I will thank you all for your input. I have over 200 posts in this forum and this topic actually stands out as being a true debate amongst them which is one of the reasons I joined Anfield Online / LFC REDS.com. Cheers all.  :thatworks:

Quick Reply