Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The NBA

Read 106850 times
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Re: The NBA
      Reply #23: Jan 22, 2010 04:23:03 am
      F**k me. I had to watch the Lakers vs. Cavaliers game. But the lazy person that I am, I could only get up in time to see the final score. >:(
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2010 07:20:08 pm
      Finally had a Knicks game on TV here on the west-coast for the first time in ages, vs Denver Nuggets, one of the better teams in the league this season. Knicks playing for nothing but pride and the 2010 free agency.. and we beat them! Bloody good game it was, Nuggets came out blazing and led 12-0 early and i was pretty pissed off, but Knicks came back and ended up taking it in a tight one 104-109. Danilo Gallinari hammered home the points in his battle with Carmelo Anthony, just a great game.

Also, my NBA experience is only a week away now! Crept up on me, but heading up on the 31st to see the Knicks play the Trailblazers in Portland, which is about 2 and a bit hours from where i live. Can't wait!!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2010 08:39:07 pm
      Personally I think the best Basketball games being played is the NCAA Tourney.  When it comes to downright, edge of your seat excitement theirs nothing better than the Sweet Sixteen games to the Championship game. When a 13 ranked team from a no name school beats a #1 like UConn or Duke or UNC its awesome. This year their have been more last second buzzer beaters and upsets than ever.

The NBA just isnt as exciting as it was.  Remember all the Knicks Bulls games and Knicks/Pacers, Lakers/Celtics.  Guys like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Barkley, Miller.  Those Celtic Laker games were ALWAYS good. Bird draining a three on the old Parquet floor in the Boston Garden.  Jordan scoring 60 against the Knicks...I just dont get excited anymore for NBA.  I like Lebron. He could be the next Jordan. He has all the tools and skill, but he needs rings. No rings, no comparison to Jordan. Sorry.  Jordan has 6 rings. If he didnt retire in his prime he could of had 2 maybe 3 more.  Those Bulls teams in the 90's were the best ever. Easily.  They could of beaten Birds Celtics and Magics Lakers. No problem. Those Bulls teams just dominated an entire decade of basketball.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #26: Mar 24, 2010 08:44:12 pm
      Watched a game regarded as 'one of the best' yesterday on ESPN Classic.

It was between the Lakers and the Pistons - think it was '84 or '85.

Lakers had a huge guy in their team who was 41 years of age. Had an Arabic sounding name. He looked class, don't know why I'd never heard of him before. Do you know who I'm on about?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #27: Mar 24, 2010 08:54:16 pm
      Watched a game regarded as 'one of the best' yesterday on ESPN Classic.

It was between the Lakers and the Pistons - think it was '84 or '85.

Lakers had a huge guy in their team who was 41 years of age. Had an Arabic sounding name. He looked class, don't know why I'd never heard of him before. Do you know who I'm on about?
      I think your talking about Kareem Abdul Jabbar...Probably one of the top 5 players of all time.  First ballot Hall of Famer, multiple championships, Numerous all star and MVP awards.  Gold Medal from the Olympic "Dream Team". Probably the greatest center to ever play the game. The greatest player of his generation.   This coming from a guy who hated the Lakers his whole life. But, I also respect good players and he was one of the greatest ever.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #28: Mar 24, 2010 08:58:17 pm
      That's the one mate.

Do you mean you hate the Lakers? At first I read that as Kareem hated Lakers his whole life but played for them!

Where was he from? Was he from the US?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Mar 24, 2010 09:00:29 pm
      I have watched a couple NCAA games and they are indeed bloody exciting! Problem is i really don't know any teams bar some Pac-10 ones, particularly Oregon (since im living there and all)

He was from the US wasn't he? Sounds like it anyways, when he talks. Awesome player. Funny guy as well.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #30: Mar 24, 2010 09:38:23 pm
      That's the one mate.

Do you mean you hate the Lakers? At first I read that as Kareem hated Lakers his whole life but played for them!

Where was he from? Was he from the US?
      no no...I hated the Lakers. I was a Celtics fan. So hating the Lakers was second nature.Its like Liverpool / Man U or Celtic / Rangers.

You picked a side and hated the other team. But at the same time you enjoy watching a good match.  It would be like watching Liverpool Man U play for the FA Cup and the match is 2-2 and it is the greatest match you have ever seen and even if Liverpool lose on a Penalty shootout, you still know you just watched one of the greatest games ever. So, it takes a little of the misery of losing to Man U away. The Celtics beat the Lakers a lot too. They used to have really bad blood between them. A lot of hard fouls, fights, just raw street Ball, NBA Finals.

I hated the Lakers but watching those old Celtic Laker NBA championship games were the best games ever.  I hated  watching Kareem score 40 a night against the Celtics, but at the same time you were watching greatness so I kind of knew that I was watching one of the best players ever.

Yeah, Kareem was an American.  He was originally born Lew Alcindor. He became a Muslim and adopted a Muslim name, thus he became Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Like Muhammed Ali used to be Cassius Clay.

I thought he won gold on the Dream Team but I think I'm wrong. I cant find him listed on the roster. I think he had already retired. Sorry. My bad.

I listed his stats below.

* 6× NBA Champion (1971, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988)
          * 1× NBA Champion (2009) as an Assistant Coach.
          * 6× NBA MVP (1971-1972, 1974, 1976-1977, 1980)
          * 19× NBA All-Star (1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989)
          * 2× NBA Finals MVP (1971, 1985)
          * 10× All-NBA First Team Selection (1971-1973, 1974, 1976-1977, 1980-1981, 1984, 1986)
          * 5× All-NBA Second Team Selection (1970, 1978-1979, 1983, 1985)
          * 5× NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1974-1975, 1979-1981)
          * 6× NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection (1970-1971, 1976-1978, 1984)
          * 1970 NBA Rookie of the Year
          * 1970 NBA All-Rookie Team
          * NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
          * 3× NCAA Men's Basketball Champion (1967), (1968), (1969)
          * 3× NCAA Basketball Tournament MOP (1967), (1968), (1969)
          * 1× Naismith College Player of the Year (1969)
          * 2× USBWA College Player of the Year (1967-1968)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #31: Mar 24, 2010 09:43:27 pm
      Nice one for that reply mate! Learnt a lot there!

Judging by your comments and by his achievements - it seems that he was a mammoth of a player!

I was into NBA for a little while a few years ago - I got bought a Miami Heat jersey and I started watching it a bit. (This was when Sky Sports showed a game every Saturday morning. Used to love that, but then they stopped).

How's Wade doing nowadays?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #32: Mar 24, 2010 09:48:30 pm
      Nice one YANK! Brilliant little stats run down that. Whats the Celtics/Knicks rivalry like? Im a Knicks fan, and always like beating Boston just because they are a good team - but don't know much of the rivalry being im Australian. Can't wait for the game next week!

And Ross, Wade is doing good. Miami are 6th at the moment in the East, kinda mid-range. Good on their day, average on others-type team they seem this season.

Think Wade is one of the big names coming into this dream free-agency pool at the end of the season isn't he?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #33: Mar 24, 2010 10:07:14 pm
      The Celtics Knicks never really had a heated rivalry.   The Knicks rivalries were with the Pacers and Bulls.  The Celtics always had it with the Lakers and Pistons.

I really dont follow the NBA anymore. I am more of a casual fan now.  I really only follow 2 sports now thats NFL Football and EPL and Liverpool. I still follow the Yankees in Baseball but I live in Atlanta now so I dont get to watch them as much as I did. I was originally from the NY/NJ area. So I followed them a lot when I lived there. 

Other than that I am really not a die hard supporter of Basketball. I still support the Celtics and I'll watch them when their on TV and have a national game. If its not on TV I really dont see them that much.  Basketball went through a bit of a lull and downturn for a while.  Now that Lebron is in the league its fum to watch him play. He's unreal. Could be the next Jordan.  Hes just Incredible to watch.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Mar 24, 2010 10:11:07 pm
      Yeah, im a bit of a casual as well, but like it a lot when i see it. Im what i call a "sports whore" :D Any sport that has some excitement to it, i can get right into it. Liverpool first love by far though, but i love the sports here in America.

LeBron is brilliant. Im crossing fingers he decides to head to the Garden when he becomes a free agent in the summer ;D Knicks have been banking on this summer for a couple seasons now :D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #35: Mar 24, 2010 10:15:00 pm
      If your interested in watching GOOD Basketball try and watch the NCAA tourney which is on now. Once it gets to the Sweet 16 to the Final Championship game, its all great basketball.  College kids. All the games are close and just really fun to watch. Its a single elimination tourney.
      It will go from 16 to 8- then 4 (Final Four) then to the Championship game and it all takes place in 7-10 days. For a week you just watch the best of the best battle it out for the College title.

I think its better than the NBA Finals. More emotion, better and closer games. so many games come down to the last 20 seconds or so and someone will shoot a 3 point shot with 1 second left too win it and its just nail biting.  Great tournament.

Take my advice and watch it If you can. You wont be disappointed.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Mar 24, 2010 10:17:49 pm
      Will take a look mate, i did watch a game where the number 1 team (Kansas i think?) get knocked down by some-one, was a buzzer-beater that did it. Brilliant it was, like you said, real emotion out there.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #37: Mar 24, 2010 11:14:53 pm
      Honestly, what I like about the NCAA tourney is they play for the game and play to be champions.  They dont get money to win.  Its still somewhat pure in that instance.  Yes, the schools they represent make money in the tournament but the players still play for the game. Their not jaded, stuck up millionaires playing for money.  They still have heart and play for the love of playing.  Its the purest form of the game and its refreshing seeing some of these kids actually breaking down and crying when they lose and thats love for the game.

I want to see these guys playing with their hearts and playing for themselves and not being selfish and turning into a business. Which so many sports have just been decimated by greed and contracts and agents and the whole business sides of the sport. They dont go out and play and try to score as much as they can to get a incentive bonus, they dont play selfish ball.

Its the purest athletic tournament, next to the olympics, that is known.  Seeing a kid break down after a loss and just show pure emotion is what all sports should strive to show. I may be old fashioned but thats what sports should try and put forth.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Mar 30, 2010 08:30:25 am
      Night after tomorrow night is my game! Can't wait, gonna be awesome i think. Portland have a huge fan following, and has the third highest attendance average this season, so it will be a fantastic atmosphere i think. Hopefully my Knicks can put up a fight and get the win, but im thinking Portland will win it. In some good form they are!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #39: Mar 30, 2010 04:43:35 pm
      LeBron is the best thing since sliced bread. Amazing player.

Wade and LeBron up for grabs at the end of the season?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #40: Mar 30, 2010 05:07:58 pm
      Yep! Both unrestricted free agents, case of where has money to offer and then where they want to go. There's a couple other big names as well, bit of a dream free agency pool this one. Knicks have been planning for it for a couple seasons, freeing up cap space and all that. Rumors constantly about LeBron coming to New York.. Would love that, but I think alot depends on how the Cavs do this playoffs. If he feels he can win a bunch of championships with the Cavs, they may just have a shot at resigning him.

Gonna be a fun off season I think!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Mar 31, 2010 02:08:12 pm
      Why would he go Knicks, though? They're sh*t :D

Would love him to go to a good team where he can win trophies. That'd make him as decorated as Jordan etc.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: Apr 01, 2010 06:56:42 am
      Why would he go Knicks, though? They're sh*t :D

Would love him to go to a good team where he can win trophies. That'd make him as decorated as Jordan etc.

Oh dear lord yes they are sh*te at the moment! :laugh: And I speak from experience as I am just leaving Portland at 950pm after attending the New York Knicks @ Portland Trail Blazers game.. A 27 point loss for the Knicks. Was expecting a loss in honesty, as the Blazers are playoff bound, actually this win clinched playoffs for them. At least I had decent beer to drink while watching, and the Blazers played some brilliant ball as well! Some breathtaking plays and dunks, helped a lot by the Knicks horrible defence. F***ing brilliant atmosphere as well, Portland have a rep as one of the vest supported teams and it was out in force tonight, 20,000+ noisy fans at this one. Despite my team on the receiving end of a whipping, I had fun.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: Apr 03, 2010 03:47:49 am
      It's usually the way mate. Beer makes a loss better.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #44: Apr 28, 2010 05:53:01 pm
      Watching Butler v Michigan State in the Final Four.

Pure skill this. No money, no ego's, no corporate crap, just basketball.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Apr 28, 2010 11:12:59 pm
      Watching Butler v Michigan State in the Final Four.

Pure skill this. No money, no ego's, no corporate crap, just basketball.

Wow. How last month are you? :laugh:

Quick Reply