Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Darren Bent?

Read 10998 times
      sk
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Re: Darren Bent?
      Reply #23: May 11, 2007 03:09:52 pm
      No more than £7m!
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #24: May 13, 2007 11:40:01 am
      I think that since they are relegated, I think around 8/9 million simply due to the fact we wont be the only one in for him and so the price will be inflated.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #25: May 13, 2007 12:03:24 pm
      Bent had one good season last season, that's not enough for us to sign him IMO.

His shots to goals ratio is actually worse than Emile Heskey, Kevin Doyle, Mark Viduka & Bobby Zamora, not to mention Kuyt, Crouch & Fowler from our own team.

There is no possible way that I feel he could improve our team. I understand what people have said about players not being able to adapt, and using Morientes as an example, but that was in Rafa's first season. He has a much better understanding of what's needed to cope with the Premiership now & won't be making the same mistakes again. Most people who actually watch the Spanish league, rather than just reading press reports, would agree that Villa or Eto'o shouldn't have any problems adapting to the Premiership, although Torres would. In fact scrap that, Torres would have problems adapting to any team in the world where he isn't the star of the show, with the ball constantly being fed to him & not having to work at all.

Anyway, starting to go off topic there. For me Bent is a handy player, personally I'd rate him as slightly better than Bellamy, but not the class we're looking for. We have probably the best player at holding the ball up in the league (Crouch), and a player who is willing to run his socks off for 90 minutes doing all the dirty work (Kuyt). All we need now is a world class finisher to benefit from the work these two put in. Bent definately doesn't fall into the world class category for me.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,777 posts | 6725 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: May 13, 2007 12:15:06 pm
      as said before Darren Bent is ok and would probably be ok for a club chasing the Uefa Cup but were better than that and I dont think he would be a very good signing, we should be going for proven would class players and esp a world class striker as that is the one major area we have been missing the last couple of years.....

priesty10, I agree mate...how about the wheelers and dealers organize Bent to go to Tottenham and we get Berbatov ;).... I'd love him at Anfield...still can't believe we let him go to Tottenham in the 1st place...this guy is pure and silky class
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #27: May 13, 2007 12:48:58 pm
      Thought the title of the thread was a question... especially after Darren and Danielle Lloyd split up.

Danielle Lloyd's new relationship with Charlton striker Marcus Bent has already come under pressure, after it emerged that the Premiership star's team-mates have been regularly taking the piss.

According to the Mirror, "all the talk in the dressing room is of how Marcus is dating Teddy Sheringham's "cast-off""

Marcus is said to be angry that Lloyd revealed that the pair were an item.

A source told the paper: "Marcus is furious, they've had rows about it. He's getting the piss taken for dating Teddy's ex"   

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=30679

I will now beat myself for lurching off topic. ;)
      « Last Edit: May 13, 2007 12:50:32 pm by JD »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #28: May 13, 2007 07:04:40 pm
      She must like it Bent  ;) ;D Marcus and Darren, what's the world coming to   ;) ;D
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #29: May 14, 2007 04:02:14 pm
      waste of money, were just buying playing strickers who get 12 goals a season in the league, liverpool need a 20 a season 
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 342 posts |
      Reply #30: May 14, 2007 05:25:08 pm
      could any striker get 20 a season in the league with Rafas rotation?
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #31: May 14, 2007 05:56:34 pm
      no....no...... no.... i want players who either come out and say they really want to go play at their chosen clubs,, take richards at man city he has just stated that if he moves its arsenal for him... thats the commitment we are seeking from so called star premiership players, liverpool fc have been untill now, been getting average players and to many of them..... please we are liverpool, come on everyone we need proven talent and we need to indentify quick, strong players who have proven ability on a constant basis, yes bent is a good striker but is he over priced at that sum that west ham were bidding for him in jan transfer window 17mill thats is totally over the top for a 2 season slightly proven player, i have stated my case.. id rather have anelka back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and thats a bad way to go..................mark viduka would be good if 4 years younger.........
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #32: Jun 09, 2007 06:33:16 pm
      Big news today is that Liverpool have apparently asked Charlton about a fee for Darren Bent.

Charlton are reported to have quoted £14 million!!!

I sincerely hope this is the last bit of transfer talking we do with Charlton.  £4 million maybe. £14 million. Are they taking the piss?
      vince
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #33: Jun 09, 2007 07:04:29 pm
      i think bent is overpriced one season does'nt make him worth 18m he is english as well which makes it worse cos they are always too much.i doubt we will sign any big stars yet we need to still spend wisely until the new stadium is built.also I'm a bit worried that Gerrard wont play in the center much as i think benitez likes the discipline that mascherano and Alonso give and on the right is definatly not Gerrard's best position i still think we will be up there if we get a finisher the amount of chances we had last season was incredible come on boys!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #34: Jun 09, 2007 07:14:01 pm
      I like this lad and he may be over priced but if he moved to the 'pool I would wager anyone that he will slot 20 league goals! 8)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #35: Jun 09, 2007 10:56:38 pm
      i think 14m is acceptable its not a bargain, personally don't think he's worth over 15m. He can bang in 20 goals.  Rather have Bent and Tevez than an eto,torres, villa alone. 
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #36: Jun 10, 2007 12:48:29 am
      No, thanks.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #37: Jun 10, 2007 05:47:42 am
      Getting Bent will be like wanting a playstation for xmas but ending up getting a sodding yo-yo.....
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #38: Jun 11, 2007 10:44:45 am
      DARREN BENT FOR CHARLTON, MAYBE EVEN A WEST HAM OR A MAN CITY.... BUT NOT FOR A WORLD CLASS CLUB LIKE LIVERPOOL WHO CONTEST CHAMPIONS LEAGUE AND WANT TO WIN THE LEAGUE....NOT GOOD ENOUGH....NOT WORLD CLASS....WE NEED A BIG NAME WHO WILL ROCK ANFIELD AND THE KOP...AND BECOME A LOVED SON OF THE CLUB...

~YNWA~

Couldn't agree more. Come on Rafa, sign a quality striker so we can lock these topics early ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #39: Jun 11, 2007 08:34:10 pm
      I like this lad and he may be over priced but if he moved to the 'pool I would wager anyone that he will slot 20 league goals! 8)

I agree with you crazyhourse I quite like darren bent and have said so on the forum a few months ago as an option if we miss our big targets ,which is looking likely now if you believe the reports. I will be majorly dissappointed if we don't sign a stiker in the Eto'o, Villa, Tevez braket but Bent for me is the next best option.
      Some on this thread have mentioned Defoe as a better option than Bent but his record so far seems better:
      Bent 109 games  78 goals
      Defoe 242 games  101 goals.
      I agree with most that 18M is way over priced but that is always the case with English players and I'd rather pay that for Bent than 16M for Forlan!!
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #40: Jun 11, 2007 09:57:56 pm
      F**k bent, anyone just heard the show on talk sport.....the most interesting transfer news since the season ended and its not gossip either.

great show and what an insight to the liverpool transfer problem.

marcotti and balague talking about the LFC things and news.

now there is a problem inside anfield , but Rafa will not walk out but balague his Spanish reporter friend who wrote the book on Rafa last year has just said that liverpool have no chance of singing eto'o and this guy knows what hes talking about.

Balague is honest and he is the number one reporter in Spain and a person who is close to benitez and does tell it like it is... he did say how ever that there are 4 or 5 new faces in the door this year and now Rafa wants things done quicker than the pace in which it is done.

also on the show they have heard that by the French national sports radio station that henry has reported to agree in principle a 20 million euros  fee with barca, thats about 17. mill fee and that was said to be true... this is what was said.. NOT WHAT I AM STATING OK.

THE LIVERPOOL THING IS ;

we have to look at lower targets and that Balague said Rafa made his list of targets 4 weeks ago and that has promoted the players who were interested in LFC  to come out and sort of say hey were are you, that in turn leads to other clubs then offering big money to convince them to move to them rather than anfield.

yet again its the structure and the mentality stopping the squad getting stronger and the team really pushing on ,,, yet again liverpool are on their way to failing in the market yet again and that means we have pissed Rafa off and not got the players we need.

expect a list of;   Diego forlan, bent, benayoun,G milito, Mancini, Diego milito, trezeguet, Owen, and that sort of level ; L. guily is reported to favour a switch to newcastle,,, on top of everything else to , what a F***ing joke it is now.

not coming is;   alves, simao, eto'o, villa, torres, ibanez, Silva, pato, henry, klose, maluoda, oh and but the way i know that alves is not coming to Liverpool ............. OK
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #41: Jun 12, 2007 12:35:24 am
      fu*k bent, anyone just heard the show on talk sport.....the most interesting transfer news since the season ended and its not gossip either.

great show and what an insight to the liverpool transfer problem.

marcotti and balague talking about the LFC things and news.

now there is a problem inside anfield , but Rafa will not walk out but balague his Spanish reporter friend who wrote the book on Rafa last year has just said that liverpool have no chance of singing eto'o and this guy knows what hes talking about.

Balague is honest and he is the number one reporter in Spain and a person who is close to benitez and does tell it like it is... he did say how ever that there are 4 or 5 new faces in the door this year and now Rafa wants things done quicker than the pace in which it is done.

also on the show they have heard that by the French national sports radio station that henry has reported to agree in principle a 20 million euros  fee with barca, thats about 17. mill fee and that was said to be true... this is what was said.. NOT WHAT I AM STATING OK.

THE LIVERPOOL THING IS ;

we have to look at lower targets and that Balague said Rafa made his list of targets 4 weeks ago and that has promoted the players who were interested in LFC  to come out and sort of say hey were are you, that in turn leads to other clubs then offering big money to convince them to move to them rather than anfield.

yet again its the structure and the mentality stopping the squad getting stronger and the team really pushing on ,,, yet again liverpool are on their way to failing in the market yet again and that means we have pissed Rafa off and not got the players we need.

expect a list of;   Diego forlan, bent, benayoun,G milito, Mancini, Diego milito, trezeguet, Owen, and that sort of level ; L. guily is reported to favour a switch to newcastle,,, on top of everything else to , what a f***ing joke it is now.

not coming is;   alves, simao, eto'o, villa, torres, ibanez, Silva, pato, henry, klose, maluoda, oh and but the way I know that alves is not coming to Liverpool ............. OK

Samcharles I'm getting a bit tired of you trying to tell me and other forum members who is and isn't coming to liverpool. I think I said to you before that until you can prove that you do have a direct source from inside the club to back up your claims then will you please stop using such aggressive tones in your posts. You say that you know that Alves isn't coming to the club. If so please explain such a bold statement. As far as I'm concerned until a player signs or Rafa comes out and says he is not coming then you know just as much as the rest of us!!
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #42: Jun 12, 2007 03:32:56 am
      Thanks Court_LFC.....
      Who would be proud to go and buy a darren bent jumper??? i know i wouldnt haha....and theres no chance he can shake a rattle a defence, in the EPL and in europe.

Couldn't agree more. Come on Rafa, sign a quality striker so we can lock these topics early ;)
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #43: Jun 13, 2007 06:49:45 pm
      Looks like West Ham are going to sign him (do they go after everyone we are linked with?). £18 million deal - £15 million cash + Harewood and Mullins to Charlton.  Offered him £80,000 a week.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      Reply #44: Jun 13, 2007 07:22:22 pm
      he is goin to west ham apparently, not as player good enogth for liverpool, but what has P***ed me off is the way, when these new owners took over, rafa said off all these world class players he wants to buy and now we get told we cant afford them.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #45: Jun 13, 2007 07:40:58 pm
      he is goin to west ham apparently, not as player good enogth for liverpool, but what has P***ed me off is the way, when these new owners took over, rafa said off all these world class players he wants to buy and now we get told we cant afford them.

Who's actually said we can't afford our targets? As far as I'm aware no-one has. A lot of people would be whinging, quite rightly, if our transfer dealings were public knowledge as it would inflate prices & alert others to our targets. Yet we still whinge when we don't know whats going on. Seems like the board can't win.

Quick Reply