Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling

Read 25328 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling
      Reply #92: Nov 21, 2009 10:17:16 pm
      Regardless of all the speculation and bashing, doubts, thoughts etc,etc... This team has 1 win in 10 Matches.  There is something deeply missing in this team right now. I hate to say it and I see the neg's flying at me but this team has no leader right now on or off the field.

The last few seasons I would watch and see Gerrard playing with a smile on his face, every match.  He seems so serious now and its not just him its Carragher, Mascherano, Torres, Benyaoun, Reina.  Its as if the weight of expectations just crushed all the life out of this team and I'm guilty of it too. I really had high hopes and thought we were just going to kick ass all season.  But its not too late, thank god. No one has clearly walked away with the title yet. Chelsea are close but their due for a bad run, Man U are not doing anything special, Arsenal are hot and cold, Man City cant seem to work as a unit.  If Liverpool can get just a few good matches strung together they can sneak right back into the chase.  I just hope they realize it and begin too loosen up and play as a team.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #93: Nov 21, 2009 10:44:00 pm
      There is something deeply missing in this team right now.
      Imo, Our solid defence is whats missing. Anyone notice how Skrtel scored but let in 2?
      and how, if he marked either Ireland or Adebayor we should've bagged 3 points.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #94: Nov 21, 2009 10:51:32 pm
      In contrast to everone's comments......I think we lacked tempo and I thought Stevie looked a bit dis-intereted tbh...maybe thinking what's there to play for (sincerely hope not but I do fear it a bit) although we did show commitment to get the equaliser!
      I agree and I mentioned in an earlier post Stevie looked like he has just run out of the will to carry people who can blame him. Our tempo is so slow I think big Jan would easily manage the pace at the moment and I see him often enough to say he really is big Jan.But seriously what the F**k is going on I have never seen so many players with their heads firmly shoved up their own backsides. Stick them with the lads out in Afganistan for a week then they might just realise they have a cushy number and play with a smile on their faces. Other than that I am at a loss.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #95: Nov 21, 2009 10:52:48 pm
      Imo, Our solid defence is whats missing. Anyone notice how Skrtel scored but let in 2?
      and how, if he marked either Ireland or Adebayor we should've bagged 3 points.
      Its a good and valid point but why have players who were rock solid last season now become so awful.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #96: Nov 21, 2009 10:58:07 pm
      Its a good and valid point but why have players who were rock solid last season now become so awful.

Mate, a winning team needs:
      1. Good players
      2. Good players who perform together in the same time as a team
      3. Good manager

We have a good manager, damn good, among the best.
      We have good players, okay only some....but most importantly we need the players to perform in the same time, together to achieve something.
      If they don't, then we're in a trouble, which is where we're now....
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #97: Nov 21, 2009 11:02:08 pm
      We are missing Hyppia! I'm almost certain of that.He's the only difference defensively.

1. He was a great cover for the 1st choice defenders
      2. He had so much experience and much closer to players to advise etc.
      3. Carragher's form hasn't been the best. Its difficult to lead when you are not at your best yourself.

I think we miss Hyppia more than Alonso cause we are creating and scoring but not defending as well!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #98: Nov 21, 2009 11:08:12 pm
      Very true that. It was our downfall today that.

The confidence of our team is not right. We get a lead and then we start bottling it. Nothing to do with Rafa, it's the players on the pitch at the time. Passes started going astray, we were launching the ball up the pitch to no one and in turn we invited an average team of expensive players onto us.

The irony of Babel getting injured. Because we needed a player like Yossi on the pitch. And he came up with the goods.

Kuyt, Lucas and Insua were my problem players. And Gerrard faded in the second half.

Kuyt needs dropping. He's having a sh*t season so far and for me, he doesn't deserve a given starting place lately. But who've we got to come in ahead of him on the right?

Lucas was poor in my opinion. A good few times I noticed the ball drop out to the edge of the box when we were on the attack. Rather than anticipate it, he was camped out on the centre circle. Ridiculous.

Insua is another one who's having a bad season. More and more people seem to be getting the better of him. His pace doesn't look like it once was and his attacking play is not having too much of an effect.

Given Gerrard is coming back from injury and that he did have a decent first half, I thought he drifted in the second half. He knows when he should up his game though and I have all confidence in him being his usual brilliant self next game.

Feels like a defeat doesn't it?

But it wasn't. It could have easily been, but it wasn't.

Great to see a defender chip in with a goal. Great to come back level. Just a shame we couldn't get that winner.

We'll come good us soon though. We're getting better, gradually. And whilst other teams around us are dropping the odd few points, things aren't as desperate as some people would have you believe. Once this injury curse has lifted and we have a full squad to choose from, we'll click into gear, the confidence will rise and we'll get on a winning run.

Bang on the money there Kenny.

On the Kuyt note though, I'd do one of two things;

1 - Slap Stevie out wide and Aquilani behind Torres. (I think that's Aquilani's favoured position anyway isn't it?)
      2 - Once Johnson gets fully fit move him higher up the pitch and put faith in young Kelly at right back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #99: Nov 21, 2009 11:28:27 pm

1 - Slap Stevie out wide and Aquilani behind Torres. (I think that's Aquilani's favoured position anyway isn't it?)
      2 - Once Johnson gets fully fit move him higher up the pitch and put faith in young Kelly at right back.

You have read my mind Billy because I was thinking that as soon as I woke up this morning.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #100: Nov 21, 2009 11:28:32 pm
      Slightly off-topic but why didn't Rafa bring on Aquilani when we were chasing the game?

Im sure Rafa would have brought him on if it wasnt for the injuries...

Benayoun had to go off as he could have only played 60min as he has made a amazing recovery... Aurelio was the right man to replace him on the left, as it would have been him or Reira but as Aurelio is more defensive is was the right man for the change as it was a must not lose game to say the most...

And other 2 injuries were simple swaps due to injuries in the 1st half
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #101: Nov 21, 2009 11:42:50 pm
      There's only one season why a creative player like alberto didn't play and it has nothing to got with him. That reason is the main reason, in my view atleast, why we are struggling this season. And that is Lucas. Alberto had to come in his place but rafa just loves the guy so much that he didn't want to take him off. Tell me what did lucas do today or this whole season to justify his tag as creative midfielder. He can only self-destruct. But for lucas, alberto would have been a regular by now. Rafa is taking too long with him just to accomodate lucas. How's alberto gonna be match fit when he just warms the bench. Sometimes I hope we finish 5th so that rafa leaves. And He's happy with character of team.. For a home draw against a team which came looking for draw. How did rafa let team sit back on 1 goal lead wit so long to go.I've lost patience wit him.. Guess IT'S time for him as well liverpool to move on.   

What are you on Arshad? Lucas has been one of the consistant players this season... His passing has improved, so has his vision, his tracking back, his break up play...

Every week we hear "Lets blame Lucas or Voronin or Babel or Rafa" but this is a team effort.. and if these so called big players we have are not producing then you should be writing about they are under performing....

Aquliani will be a hit for us... who ever has seen him, know he is a special player waiting to be explored but he needs match fit.. im sure he would have played today if we didnt have injuries.... needs time..
      MsGerrard
      Reply #102: Nov 21, 2009 11:53:33 pm
      Why can't I be like most Women and hate football, I wouldn't have any of these problems to worry about then  ::) Could I give it up? No way, it's in my blood. I sometimes wish they wouldn't make things so difficult for us loyal fans, then again it wouldn't be half as exciting if we supported a small club like everton  :laugh: and we've had far more ups than downs over the years haven't we guys and gals  ;D

But you know it's sad to see us conceding goals like this as we have always had such a good strong defence, I just can't wait for us to get back to full strength, get our first 11 and obliterate everything in front of us.

I was really hoping to see Aquilani get a good run out today, but I understand why Rafa didn't put him on the pitch, it was a real blow to get poor Daniel Agger injured so early on, that threw us a bit and then for Babel to get injured as well, talk about bad luck.  :f_wah:

The crowd was VERY quiet today, but I suppose they didn't have an awful lot to shout about, I just wish we could start this season all over again.

Nice one for Martin to score his first goal for the club today, a nice positive for him.

We need to push on and upwards now, and a huge game awaits us on Tuesday, with no chance of Torres playing we just have to hope that N'gog and co have their scoring boots on.

RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #103: Nov 21, 2009 11:55:56 pm
      You have read my mind Billy because I was thinking that as soon as I woke up this morning.
      Bang on the money there Kenny.

On the Kuyt note though, I'd do one of two things;

Agree with both of you,but Rafa has to take his share of the blame,because at 1-0 up we started to defend with 2 banks of 4 at home.This is not what I personally want to see.I don't see why Aquilani couldn't play a part, if he's injured then he shouldn't be on the bench.I won't criticise Lucas as he's doing the job that he's capable of,he will never be an attacking midfielder.If Aquilani is not ready(which I doubt),then give Steve Irwen and David Amoo their chance,because imo Dirk is struggling and I personally don't want Stevie on the RHS,leave him in the hole behind whoever.
      100%lfc4ever
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #104: Nov 22, 2009 12:04:36 am
      Lucas for me has stepped upto the mark this season,he works his socks off chasing back and his passing and movement has improved so although i respect other peoples opinons i just can't understand why a majority of people jump on his back yes he should have hit the target in injury time but that doesn't make him a bad player also i liked to phrase Ngog who looks like he is going to be one hell of a player,he is really starting to impress me although i do agree that Kuyt needs to be dropped i have never been his biggest fan and let's not forget he is supposed to be a striker and not a winger,i feel at times he looks lost and his crosses have got worse-most of the time not beating the first defender and he loses the ball far to often.A massive week this week and we need some practise defending setpieces in training,i can see a goal frenzy in Hungary and a mersey win next weekend.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #105: Nov 22, 2009 12:04:57 am
      Why can't I be like most Women and hate football, I wouldn't have any of these problems to worry about then  ::) Could I give it up? No way, it's in my blood. I sometimes wish they wouldn't make things so difficult for us loyal fans, then again it wouldn't be half as exciting if we supported a small club like everton  :laugh: and we've had far more ups than downs over the years haven't we guys and gals  ;D

But you know it's sad to see us conceding goals like this as we have always had such a good strong defence, I just can't wait for us to get back to full strength, get our first 11 and obliterate everything in front of us.

I was really hoping to see Aquilani get a good run out today, but I understand why Rafa didn't put him on the pitch, it was a real blow to get poor Daniel Agger injured so early on, that threw us a bit and then for Babel to get injured as well, talk about bad luck.  :f_wah:

The crowd was VERY quiet today, but I suppose they didn't have an awful lot to shout about, I just wish we could start this season all over again.

Nice one for Martin to score his first goal for the club today, a nice positive for him.

We need to push on and upwards now, and a huge game awaits us on Tuesday, with no chance of Torres playing we just have to hope that N'gog and co have their scoring boots on.

Cas women feel the same elations and frustrations as men,but what is starting to bother me,is the fact that obviously some squad players are not fighting for the cause.I'm not picking on Babel,but today Stevie had to pull him up of his arse to continue playing.When was the last time you saw a Liverpool captain do that?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #106: Nov 22, 2009 12:14:23 am
      Cas women feel the same elations and frustrations as men,but what is starting to bother me,is the fact that obviously some squad players are not fighting for the cause.I'm not picking on Babel,but today Stevie had to pull him up of his arse to continue playing.When was the last time you saw a Liverpool captain do that?

I noticed that RedRoy, Stevie was trying to gee him up, maybe his injury was too bad for him to continue, but you know I feel the likes of Babel and I'm not just singling him out to have a go at him, there are a few others who I feel aren't fit to wear the Red shirt of Liverpool.

But years ago when we had a lot more local lads/English lads in the side, they would have played for Liverpool for nothing, no-one had more passion for Liverpool than the great Emlyn Hughes, he would have walked to the ends of the earth to play for us.

Some of these young lads needs some of Emlyn's passion and commitment, they are playing for the most successful club side in English football, and they needs to pull their socks up and bloody well get on with it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #107: Nov 22, 2009 12:54:07 am
      Hi cas that is it for me players need to have the desire and the passion to win for lfc or fck off simple as that ,
       I know we have problems with injuries  but for fck sake if we got to have stevie dragging our players up off the pitch ,oh my god are we in trouble , we need guts and balls ,you know what if these lot cant show it get the fck out and get someone who wants to die for the cause ,
      because thats what we need right now,

flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #108: Nov 22, 2009 02:31:31 am
      I think it was amazing that Yossi was able to give 70min, he was clearly in pain most of the game and yet he was able to deliver the goods.

I almost cried when Agger left the field, it was clear that we would be lost without him.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #109: Nov 22, 2009 02:52:52 am
      Well another game without a win, making it 1 win in the past 10 games.

Our defence needs some miracle work because right now it's our weakest area in the side, by far.

Exactly .....after Agger went off I was like ' oh sh*t ....our best defender gone for this game ' It wad a pity agger had to get injured ....I wish he didn't have all hese injuries otherwise he an really be ranked among hte finest defenders in the world . No I real really really regret selling Sami , if he was here those two goal coudl've been stopped  . Our forward and midfeild was good but I do think that the players need to be more clinical ( that's where Torre and maybe een Alberto are missing ) but we've have sh*t luck with injuries and I really thinkn in Jan we should buy another defender or atleast give Kelly or Ayala a go .

I was really upset after the match that we didn't score a late 3rd goal ....there were sign and I really thouht thta we coul d end our ' not winning streak' ....this really sucks and I really hope we have more injury boost . But I don't think rafa shoudl've taken off Benny ( albeit he was injured ) .

But don''t worry guys we'll get though this somehow . I don't know how , but I promise you we will .

YNWA
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #110: Nov 22, 2009 04:31:40 am
      Mark Hughes in the post match conference:
       We're disappointed because I think we were the better team today. We showed great character to come from a goal down.We were in a winning position and that's the frustration for us at the moment, allowing those winning situations to go away from us. That's the disappointing thing. Really, Liverpool had not caused us too many problems.

Really! I know we just weren't good enough but does he say they were a better team than us yesterday? Maybe he was referring to some other match.  ::)
      We had more possession, more territorial advantage, more passing success etc. All in all, going by the stats we were by far the better team today.
      And for how long were they in a winning position? 60 seconds?? Makes it sound like his team were leading throughout the match only for us to equalise late on.  ::)

What a F***ing b***ard. Has his hopes high that his team will take our Champions League spot this season.  >:(
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #111: Nov 22, 2009 07:11:54 am

But years ago when we had a lot more local lads/English lads in the side, they would have played for Liverpool for nothing, no-one had more passion for Liverpool than the great Emlyn Hughes, he would have walked to the ends of the earth to play for us.

Some of these young lads needs some of Emlyn's passion and commitment, they are playing for the most successful club side in English football, and they needs to pull their socks up and bloody well get on with it.
      I think that is were the problem lies with a lot of our players today,i feel a lot of players are just mercenaries and go from club to club getting as much as they can for as little productivity as they can.Billy Liddell,Bob Paisley and Ronnie Moran would put most of todays players to shame regarding commitment and ability to L.F.C. I might add we have had plenty more players over the years who would of died for this club. Back to city In just wish we did not need to do all this close passing,we can pass the ball six times and be lucky to progress a yard up field.We are certainly missing Alonso so I hope Aquilani can provide the missing link.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #112: Nov 22, 2009 07:34:36 am
      Thought we dominated until we scored.  I think Man City had one chance on goal in the first half.  Not that we had too many ourselves mind.

After we got our goal that we deserved our heads went down and we let Man City back in to the gane. Skrtel should have attacked the ball and not let the equaliser in.

I think overall a draw was probably the correct result.  Babel hobbling off reminded me so much of Kewell - just want the player out now.  Big blow to lose Agger early on.  I think those two injuries prevented Aquilani having a long second half run out.

Their second goal certainly looked offside to me.  Fed up with the players displaying such lack of confidence now and not holding on to leads against both Birmingham and Man City at home. 

I think we are probably confined for a chase to 2nd place now.  I doubt even if we were playing at our best we would be able to compete with the kind of results they are getting.
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #113: Nov 22, 2009 07:49:11 am

That's like going into a church, and asking if they would like to do away with Jesus. Seriously, I'm not sure that Rafa would enjoy the support he gets if it wasn't for our freakish Champions League win. I'm not one who thinks it's taboo to talk about whether there is a better man for the job.  We should ask questions about the team, its performances, and some of Rafa's tactics - zonal marking, lack of minutes for Aquilani, who deperately needs them to build up match fitness, ignoring Pacheco, loaning out Nemeth, playing two defensive midfielders, buying a right back when other positions were less well covered, etc.  He's the manager, far more qualified than any of us, but why shouldn't we throw these things up for discussion?  The next five games could have serious implications in terms of our season.  One win in ten is extremely worrying.  One or two in fifteen is bad enough for the board to consider Rafa's position.  Let's hope he turns it around.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #114: Nov 22, 2009 08:01:16 am
      I thought in the end a draw was fair,and if Torres was playing he would have buried that chance Lucas had,but we have to learn to win matches without him,if masch and lucas could start scoring a few,it would help take some of the burden away from Torres.

Quick Reply