Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling

Read 25350 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling
      Reply #115: Nov 22, 2009 08:53:19 am
      We were unlucky again. 'Nuf said. Im drunk and that's when im most honest and clear thinking, and thats the conclusion ibe come to. We just are a little off our game and are getting punished for it, something teams like manure don't get. They can be having an off day and still come away with a 2-0 win. We can't. We'll get their. No calling for Rafa's head, we don't need none of that.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #116: Nov 22, 2009 08:59:52 am
      Sometimes I hope we finish 5th so that rafa leaves.

Lucas only plays parallel and back passes. He's supposed to be play maker

What on earth are talking about lad!! You would rather we finished fifth! Get a grip of yourself.
      As for Lucas being a play maker, you obviously dont watch the same matches as me. Lucas is too similar to Masch thats the issue he is not a play maker. Total nonsense. Anyone who loves this club would never want to see us finish a season in fifth. Shocking!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #117: Nov 22, 2009 09:06:37 am
      Getting sick of typing it but once again gutted with the result.

Thought Masch was superb today.

Thought Kuyt was very ordinary and am another one that thinks he definitely needs a rest. With DS on this one. Would love Rafa to give Glen Johnson, when he's back fit, a chance to make that right wing his and slot Kelly in at RB.

As for Skrtel, was soooo happy for him to score his first goal today, hopefully he can start his goal scoring career now. Would love him to be a real aerial presence when it comes to attacking set pieces but for now he has to get his defensive set pieces in order first. How he let Adebayor get 2 feet clear of him is beyond me. It was his simple task to mark Citeh's most obvious aerial threat and he failed to do it.

I'm not blaming him for Johnson's goal though, that should have been Lucas' or Masch's job to track back with Johnson but I didn't even see them in the picture  ???

I'm sick to the stomach of feeling this way after a match. Got to get our act together f**king quickly. Every time the ball goes in our defensive area, I sh*t myself. Maybe the people who say we need to sack Rafa should be having a go at Manuel Pellegrini (sorry if I spelt name wrong) :-\. I'm sure he's our defensive coach. What the f**k is he teaching the lads in training?
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 10:08:02 am by AussieRed »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #118: Nov 22, 2009 10:07:51 am
      Dust has, sort of, settled so, for what it's worth, here's my analysis of the game:

As ever we started a home game against "ordinary opposition" with two 'defensive' holding mid-fielders and one up front.
      The lone striker was relatively inexperienced and starting his first game after being labeled a cheat. Our two starting, 'wide men' were, *lacking confidence/*out of form/*not good enough (*delete where appropriate) and Stevie was not fully fit.

However, as ever, "ordinary opposition" had their Anfield game plan in place. That game plan was to; let the Reds pass the ball to and fro across both the back line and mid-field. Whilst some see this as an ability to "dominate", Hughes like every other manager of "ordinary opposition", merely looks at it as possession without an end product. Like every other team it was their intention to only defend the final third and hope to nick a goal or two. That goal or two, it is hoped, will come from defensive frailties at set pieces.

Fifteen minutes in and we've had to bring on two subs however, the two substitutions had no, immediate, detrimental effect. Our system of play was not compromised and our style of play remained the same. Hughes did not need to re-act.

What Hughes hadn't banked on was our ability to score from a set-piece (how could he?). City now, if they were to get anything out of the game, had to push up, challenge in mid-field and grab an equaliser. Hughes brought on the attack minded Tevez to replace Barry. The equaliser, almost inevitably, came from a set-piece that left our defenders pointing at empty spaces (zones) and arguing.

City were enjoying their mid-field dominance and were exerting pressure down our left, in particular. They went ahead.

To our credit, we were only behind for just half a minute before Yossi belied his own lack of fitness to grab an equaliser leaving the game in the balance. Rafa, not wanting to lose the match, brought on Aurelio for Yossi in the hope he could aid Insua in his quest to control SWP. The matched fizzled out - City happy with a draw reverted to "ordinary opposition" type and the Reds huffing and puffing without end product (Lucas' chance/sitter included).

We are too predictable, i'm afraid. Our lads lack confidence and look scared. Their fear is obvious in their safe, lateral, backward passing and lack of movement. No-one wants to be the one who "fucks things up" by trying something inventive that may fail. Sadly tho' this is catch 22 - their collective fear is "F***ing things up" on a grander scale than just one mistake in just one game.

We are afraid of losing more than we want to win. The malaise that fear brings is not easy to shake off without a new spark or a catalyst. I'm hoping Aquilani will bring that spark. I don't know how "unfit" Alberto is or how long we'll have to wait for the cotton wool to come off. If we have to wait tho'; well, I suggest we remain patient in the interim and not expect too much from the lads, as a team, without him (or Nando).

Finally, I have to say that I, genuinely, believe our season will turn 'round and we will finish top four.
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 10:17:48 am by bad boy bubby »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #119: Nov 22, 2009 10:35:05 am
      Some fair shouts there.

Nobody else think that Gerrard disappeared in the second half?  Apart from the free kick I didn't even notice him in the second half.

After our goal he should have been bollocking the team and at least providing a bit of holding up of the ball but he was just absent.
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #120: Nov 22, 2009 11:09:37 am
      Spot on JD. Gerrard was very quiet after the break. Maybe just a lack of fitness though De Jong hardly left his side 2nd half.

Desperate for Aquilani to play a bigger part now. Surely cant be that far away.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,373 posts | 2821 
      Reply #121: Nov 22, 2009 11:17:35 am
      It's understandable that we lack confidence. 1 win in 10 does that to you. If we were in a decent patch of form then we would have grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck after the first goal and finished it off.

We need to go back to basics in terms of defending. When it doubt kick it F***ing out. Skrtel tried to be all clever and use his strength against Adebayor for that second goal when he should have just put it out for a throw in. Adebayor then reclaimed the ball, fed it to Tevez and they score. Defending from set pieces needs improving yet again. Get two men on the post and make sure the opponents who are good in the air are marked my our best header's of the ball.

Huge improvements needed, hopefully a convincing win in Hungary will bring some much needed confidence into the side ahead of the derby.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #122: Nov 22, 2009 01:02:53 pm
      For me , what was worse than us drawing the match was Agger's injury , he always ends up bloody in a lot of the games he plays ! And I really really wish he wouldn't get himself in those situ he can be a great great defender without those injuries !
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #123: Nov 22, 2009 01:41:27 pm
      darn it

We need to fix this defending

CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #124: Nov 22, 2009 01:49:18 pm
      Yep - it was basic.......it's all fine Skrtel celebrating his first goal but he cancelled it out by this one (damn it) :f_steam:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #125: Nov 22, 2009 01:52:22 pm
      Thought we were ok in spells but never looked confident at all. Wasnt impressed with City either yet they nearly f*cking beat us.

Defending is shocking, Skrtel at the first then Lucas completley stopped tracking Ireland for th second. Not good enough.

Dont understand why Aquilani never got on, maybe the 2 earlier subs forced his hand but surely he must be fit enough to play some part.

It's strange how people see things differently, Lucas picked up another runner & passed Ireland onto Mascherano, who failed to pick up the man.
      Slightly off-topic but why didn't Rafa bring on Aquilani when we were chasing the game?

I really hope this Aquilani thing doesn't take off, worst 'superhero' ever & an awful nickname.
      There's only one season why a creative player like alberto didn't play and it has nothing to got with him. That reason is the main reason, in my view atleast, why we are struggling this season. And that is Lucas. Alberto had to come in his place but rafa just loves the guy so much that he didn't want to take him off. Tell me what did lucas do today or this whole season to justify his tag as creative midfielder. He can only self-destruct. But for lucas, alberto would have been a regular by now. Rafa is taking too long with him just to accomodate lucas. How's alberto gonna be match fit when he just warms the bench. Sometimes i hope we finish 5th so that rafa leaves. And He's happy with character of team.. For a home draw against a team which came looking for draw. How did rafa let team sit back on 1 goal lead wit so long to go.I've lost patience wit him.. Guess IT'S time for him as well liverpool to move on.  

Lucas vs Man City 50 Passes, 8 backwards, 3 unsuccessful. Only 8 further forward than the centre circle.

Mascherano vs Man City 53 passes, 13 backwards, 7 unsuccessful, Only 6 further forward than the centre circle (of which 3 were unsuccessful, effectively ending our attacks).

Compare very well, but we really need to let at least one of them get further forward on a regular basis. When you look at the range/area passes were made to as well, both players are very similar, though Lucas passing pattern isn't as compact., with Lucas passing it out to the wings far more often.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #126: Nov 22, 2009 01:55:27 pm
      Why can't I be like most Women and hate football, I wouldn't have any of these problems to worry about then  ::) Could I give it up? No way, it's in my blood. I sometimes wish they wouldn't make things so difficult for us loyal fans, then again it wouldn't be half as exciting if we supported a small club like everton  :laugh: and we've had far more ups than downs over the years haven't we guys and gals  ;D

But you know it's sad to see us conceding goals like this as we have always had such a good strong defence, I just can't wait for us to get back to full strength, get our first 11 and obliterate everything in front of us.

I was really hoping to see Aquilani get a good run out today, but I understand why Rafa didn't put him on the pitch, it was a real blow to get poor Daniel Agger injured so early on, that threw us a bit and then for Babel to get injured as well, talk about bad luck.  :f_wah:

The crowd was VERY quiet today, but I suppose they didn't have an awful lot to shout about, I just wish we could start this season all over again.

Nice one for Martin to score his first goal for the club today, a nice positive for him.

We need to push on and upwards now, and a huge game awaits us on Tuesday, with no chance of Torres playing we just have to hope that N'gog and co have their scoring boots on.

It's exactly how I feel (also as a woman) I'm pre-occupied all week with the stress of our poor form (surrounded by Mackems who are having a good season)

Can't wait to have something to smile about - like a win  ;D

The crowd were quiet 1st half but I think responded to a better performance 2nd half

Come on Red men give us a Real Madrid esque performance PLEASE    8)

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 01:56:57 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Quote added. »
      arshadmanzoor
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #127: Nov 22, 2009 02:04:38 pm
      It's strange how people see things differently, Lucas picked up another runner & passed Ireland onto Mascherano, who failed to pick up the man.
      I really hope this Aquilani thing doesn't take off, worst 'superhero' ever & an awful nickname.
      Lucas vs Man City 50 Passes, 8 backwards, 3 unsuccessful. Only 8 further forward than the centre circle.

Mascherano vs Man City 53 passes, 13 backwards, 7 unsuccessful, Only 6 further forward than the centre circle (of which 3 were unsuccessful, effectively ending our attacks).

Compare very well, but we really need to let at least one of them get further forward on a regular basis. When you look at the range/area passes were made to as well, both players are very similar, though Lucas passing pattern isn't as compact., with Lucas passing it out to the wings far more often.
      Ok I agree lucas has improved this season. He makes lesser mistakes now, but as someone said he and mash are not dissimilar type of players. Where on earth is creativity going to come from? Who's gonna drive us and control the game.these two cant play every game together especially at home. I dont mind lucas playing instead of mash sometimes but not alongside him. That would give our already beleagured defence some respite. Besides, our defensive weaknesses have cost us dearly.i think IT'S time for Aquilani to start a game
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #128: Nov 22, 2009 02:23:49 pm
      Lucas slows down the attacks, is not creative, and gives away needless free kicks.  Then right at the end of the match has a free header right in front and duffs it.

On a positive note Ngog did well winning the free kick that led to our first goal, and then some desperation in the box by him led to our second goal.

Its such a shame that Skrtel  cost us on both goals conceded because I really like him as a player. He did give the ball up too easily and let Tevez escape the corner, and he did seem to be the one responsible for Adeybayou getting free.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Nov 22, 2009 02:48:46 pm
      Lucas slows down the attacks, is not creative, and gives away needless free kicks.  Then right at the end of the match has a free header right in front and duffs it.

Its such a shame that Skrtel  cost us on both goals conceded because I really like him as a player. He did give the ball up too easily and let Tevez escape the corner, and he did seem to be the one responsible for Adeybayou getting free.

And doesn't that show the mentality of fans towards Lucas.

Martin Skrtel concedes two goals (albeit after scoring one) and is let off the hook. Lucas has a pretty good game and is still trashed.

The lad's never going to get the praise he deserves.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #130: Nov 22, 2009 02:53:17 pm
      Where did you get that Lucas passed on Ireland to Mascherano when was that when Lucas was failing to track the run, Ireland ran past Lucas and he didn't track the run it is as simple as that, not the first time this season I've been on here talking about a goal because Lucas failed to track.

Stats can be quoted all day but anyone watching the match yesterday could see Masch was easily the better performer of the 2.

He carried the midfield Lucas was non existant there yesterday when we were crying out for some creativity. I'm not going to fault the effort Lucas puts in it is just when it comes to quality he falls down.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #131: Nov 22, 2009 02:57:19 pm
      When Aquilani eventually starts a match, what position should he play?  And who should make room for him?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #132: Nov 22, 2009 03:03:13 pm
      Lucas it is as simple as that and while he has done an adequate job it is killing us having 2 midfielders doing the exact same job.

Lucas should be a replacement for Masch when he is injured. How many games have we played this season and not got one goal off either Masch or Lucas it just is not good enough.

When teams sit back like City yesterday we seem incapable of breaking them down and I think the problem is in midfield.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #133: Nov 22, 2009 03:38:30 pm
      Lucas it is as simple as that and while he has done an adequate job it is killing us having 2 midfielders doing the exact same job.

Lucas should be a replacement for Masch when he is injured. How many games have we played this season and not got one goal off either Masch or Lucas it just is not good enough.

When teams sit back like City yesterday we seem incapable of breaking them down and I think the problem is in midfield.

This is where we are lacking,great midfielders score goals,look at souness,one of the hardest tacklers ever to play the game, yet he could create goals for Kenny and Rushie, and score a good many himself.I don't agree with the tag of defensive midfielders because great midfielders should be able to do the lot as souness could,and Gerrard does.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,231 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #134: Nov 22, 2009 07:00:40 pm

Thats the problem with aqualani not playing 2 players to similar doing the same job no creativity. By time Aqualani is match fit our season will be over
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #135: Nov 22, 2009 07:42:54 pm
      I remember the great team with Souness and McDermott in central midfield.  Souey was the ball-winner and distributor, with Terry Mac expected to break forward and score goals from deep, which he did with great regularity. 

I'd love to see us return to that kind of pairing in the engine room. I hope I'm wrong, but AA's fitness record at Roma makes me doubt his ability to make a long-term contribution.

fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #136: Nov 22, 2009 09:22:16 pm
      not blaming lucas for yesterdays draw, there were too many under performers out there, not just him.

Said it before and ill say it again, Liverpool look very very average in the final third when torres isnt playing. Ofcourse your going to miss the worlds best striker, but it just shows how thin/poor our squad is.

When torres is out, who do we have? the answer is no-one. There isn't anybody else who will bang them in for us. Ngog might be one for the future but hes still a few seasons away yet, Voronin im not even going to bother talking about, Kuyt is played on the right but even in the middle im not sure he would get the goals. So thats our strike force? its so poor.

Im not going to slate Rafa, i love the man to bits, hes a genius, but he has made a mistake in signing Aquilani IMO. Splashing out 20+million on a player who can't even play. Now were out of the title race (swear to god if someone comes on here an says were still in the race i'll go mental)  That money could have been used to buy a world class striker, like Defoe or someone, and we could look ahead at buying Aquilani next season and give the lad a chance to gain his fitness.

We are missing a midfielder yes, and the absence of Alonso is there to see, but we are in need of a striker more. So thats why i think he has made a mistake. Lucas has improved this season so im confident him and masc would still boss the midfield with the help of Gerrard, kuyt and benayoun.

Were out the league, we are on the verge of going out of Europe, at the moment i can't see us winning the f.a cup either. If we finish outside the top 4 this season i can't begin to say how much of an effect that will have on us finacially. Im s'hitting myself.  Maybe im being dramatic but i can see us becoming the next Leeds with these 2 c'unts running the club.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #137: Nov 22, 2009 09:27:30 pm
      All in all, another 2 points dropped at home, against a 'mediocre' Man City side at best. So disappointed for Agger, when is the lad gong to get a 'lucky' break? We should have put this game to bed in the first hour, but again we failed to capitalise on possession. With all our injury worries, the defence changes from one game to the next, there is no time for understandings to be built. Once we get some f**king luck, then I expect to see Johnson, Carragher, Agger and Aurelio at the helm. Insua was shocking yesterday, he;s gone off the boil since the United game. Starting to become a liability, too much too soon for him I think. Aurelio needs to be back in the left back spot, as soon as is possible.

Javier Mascherano was colossal, he was everywhere and had the City midfield in his pocket, no questions can be raised about his 'commitment'. Why Aquilani wasn't used can only be answered by Rafa, but we so need him in that team now. I'm not a Lucas basher by any stretch of the imagination, but we are not going to win much as long as he partners the Monster in the middle. Far too many times, Lucas chooses to pass backwards or laterally, afaid to go for the 'killer' pass, effectively shirking his responsibilty. His defensive side of his game is very good, but offensively, time and time again, he is found wanting.

Dirk Kuyt? Where has it all gone wrong? Has failed to build on last season and has been one of our worst performers this season. It's like passing the ball to a pinball machine, you don't know where it's going to end up. He needs to be dropped to give him a wake up call. As industrious a player as he is, we need that creative inventiveness too.

Ryan Babel? He doesn't give a f**k. After that De Jong tackle he wilted like a f**king pussy, not fit to wear the shirt, an absolute f**king disgrace, get rid of the c**t. Not exactly the attitude of a player wanting to represent his country in next years World Cup Finals.

David N'Gog? Still learning his trade, don't feel he is able to play the 'lone striker' role. It's not his fault though, just feel that when Nando is out, N'Gog should have a striking partner up front. Pacheco? Why not? How many below par performances from certain players will Rafa accept before he gives our kids a chance?

A massive week ahead it is for us, we could be out of the Champions League and the title race by Sunday evening, a situation I would never have envisaged at the start of the season.

The centre of midfield needs a fresh breath of life, Rafa, unleash Aquilani, the time is now my friend.
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 09:33:06 pm by hardcoresoldier »

Quick Reply