Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling

Read 25130 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling
      Nov 21, 2009 03:21:04 pm
      Well another game without a win, making it 1 win in the past 10 games.

Our defence needs some miracle work because right now it's our weakest area in the side, by far.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Re: Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2009 03:22:46 pm
      It had a feel of "one of those games" from the get go.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2009 03:25:30 pm
      Never mind the defense how many goals have we scored in the last 10 games we were on fire last season even when Torres didnt play perhaps we need a creative midfielder. :f_tongueincheek:
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #3: Nov 21, 2009 03:26:17 pm
      Hiddink anyone ?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Nov 21, 2009 03:26:57 pm
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #5: Nov 21, 2009 03:27:33 pm
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #6: Nov 21, 2009 03:29:06 pm
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #7: Nov 21, 2009 03:29:25 pm
      disappointed letting two more points escape us but given the first 20 minutes it could have turned out a lot worse. Made up for Skrtyl finally. Felt sorry for Lucas as it was almost too easy a chance but he should have at least hit the target.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #8: Nov 21, 2009 03:29:59 pm
      Ohh how I wish we kept Sami Hyypia.  I'm sure he would have got more first team football than he probably thought.

Anyway, defending is a big problem and one that should have been sorted out months ago.  Men on the posts is the way to go Rafa, sacrificing a couple of players that seem to mark zones with no players in them. 

Lucas seems to be getting a bit of unfair criticism...he should have at least got that free header on target though.  He had a very good first half but was pretty non-existant second half when City pressed and he didn't get much time on the ball.  My real beef is with Kuyt though who was sh*te yet again!  Lost count of how many of our attacks broke down when Kuyt was on the ball and that has been a constant theme this season.

sh*te defending and a distanct lack of creativity has been our downfall and it needs fixing or a top four finish will be out of the question never mind winning the league.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #9: Nov 21, 2009 03:30:04 pm
      Our defense was sh*t, Agger is our only consistent defender and ironically he is injured (again).

I thought Lucas and Mascherano were quite creative, N'Gog and Gerrard we're playing well too. Kuyt was poor.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Nov 21, 2009 03:32:20 pm
      Just this: home to City.....

7 out of our starting 11 were, what i would call, defenders; (Reina, Skrtel, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Mascherano & Leiva). Injuries or not, out of the 11 that finished the game 8 were, what i would call, defenders; (Reina, Skrtel, Carragher, Insua, Kyrgiakos, Mascherano, Leiva & Aurelio).
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009 03:39:00 pm by bad boy bubby »
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #11: Nov 21, 2009 03:32:52 pm
      Ohh how I wish we kept Sami Hyypia.  I'm sure he would have got more first team football than he probably thought.

I think he would have been first on the team sheet and its obvious Carra misses him too.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #12: Nov 21, 2009 03:33:27 pm

I think he is far too old now and a little over weight. He could come on in the last 5 mins if the game was won, but not in the starting 11.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #13: Nov 21, 2009 03:35:02 pm

6 out of our starting 11 were, what I would call, defenders; (Reina Skrtel Carragher Insua Mascherano & Leiva). Injuries or not, out of the 11 that finished the game 7 were, what I would call, defenders; (Reina, Skrtel, Carragher, Insua, Mascherano, Leiva & Aurelio).
      What about Kyriagos (spell?) does that make 8 and Kuyt 9 Ngog is a novice so that leaves Stevie!!!!!!!!!!.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #14: Nov 21, 2009 03:35:03 pm
      I hope Agger's injury isn't too serious. Poor guy, I feel so sorry for him.

On a positive note, how good was it seeing Skrtel score his first goal for us!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Nov 21, 2009 03:36:21 pm
      Never mind the defense how many goals have we scored in the last 10 games we were on fire last season even when Torres didnt play perhaps we need a creative midfielder. :f_tongueincheek:

Now there's an idea.  ;D
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 21, 2009 03:36:32 pm
      reina played great in my opinion, couldnt do much about the 2 goals but yet again awful defending is our downfall.
      lost count of how many times city carved us open, we need 2 solid consistent centre backs
      dont see why we took the foot off the pedal when we scored though we battered them in the first half
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 21, 2009 03:37:24 pm
      I hope Agger's injury isn't too serious. Poor guy, I feel so sorry for him.

On a positive note, how good was it seeing Skrtel score his first goal for us!

only to let adebayor get a free header on goal :|
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Nov 21, 2009 03:38:14 pm

6 out of our starting 11 were, what i would call, defenders; (Reina, Skrtel, Carragher, Insua, Mascherano & Leiva). Injuries or not, out of the 11 that finished the game 7 were, what i would call, defenders; (Reina, Skrtel, Carragher, Insua, Mascherano, Leiva & Aurelio).

Got a point there.

If you look at the Chelsea line-up against Wolves today.

You've got two attacking full backs (Belletti and Cole) two wingers, and two strikers. Essien gets forward in the 442 system so they just have Mikel, Alex and Terry who are out and out defensive minded players.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #19: Nov 21, 2009 03:38:31 pm
      Today's game was disappointing the way we played was bad we had no consistency when in possession of the ball and at times looked uncomfortable with the ball.

We started the game well attacking from the off but then due to the stop starting of the game are attacking play slowly fizzed out. Babel was playing well until the ankle incidence but IMO if he really wanted to send a statement out to the fans and Rafa about how committed he is to the club I think he would of played on.

Insua and Kuyt got on my nerves, Insua is young and has time to improve but at times today his positioning was laughable as well as some of his passes, he looked uncomfortable when on the ball also. On to my second player I feel that Kuyt should not be starting RM week in week out he doesn't offer us enough today he showed no creativity and no belief in himself, whenever he had the ball instead of running at players he decided to come inside and make a careless pass maybe if Benny was on the right with Babel or Riera on the left we could have had more opportunities to score.

Although Skrtel was the goal scorer for the 1st goal but it doesn't excuse him from having a poor game today for the Adebayor goal no way should he off left him to be free, zonal marking was not at fault here it was Skrtel's lack of common sense when playing zonal marking you have to protect your area he decided because he had no one in his area he would just stand their and watch Adebayor when really he should of man marked him as no one was threatening him at the time.

I thought today we could of seen Aquilani start but it wasn't to be, I am not saying today's loss was Lucas or Mascherano's fault but today did we really need two defensive midfielders. Maybe if we had Gerrard playing with Mascherano and Benny on the right with Riera on the left and Kuyt in behind Ngog we would of been more of a goal threat but then again not everyone was match fit.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #20: Nov 21, 2009 03:41:14 pm
      What about Kyriagos (spell?) does that make 8 and Kuyt 9 Ngog is a novice so that leaves Stevie!!!!!!!!!!.

You're right john, i've amended it......we did, indeed, start with 7 "defenders" and finished with 8.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #21: Nov 21, 2009 03:46:52 pm
      You're right john, I've amended it......we did, indeed, start with 7 "defenders" and finished with 8.
      You're right john, I've amended it......we did, indeed, start with 7 "defenders" and finished with 8.
      Actually we are 3rd top scorers but 11th in the defense league so its a bit of a conundrum that having two holding midfielders we a scoring ok but leaking goals like a sieve.
      No wonder Rafa is scratching his head.The central pairing seems to be giving us cause for concern and due to injury it has been difficult to find a settled partnership. But having two holding midfielders you would think that would give them extra cover but it dosent seem to does it. Who'd be a manager because nothing at the moment seems to make any sense what so ever.
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 21, 2009 03:47:07 pm

We have one.  His name is Alberto Aquilani.  For some reason Rafa has in his mind that Aquilani isn't fit enough to start although he has been practicing full strength with the squad for a month.  We've seen potential in Aquilani's few touches being brought on the end of matches.  

I trust Rafa fully but I am confused as to why he is hesitating on bringing on the creative midfielder he brought to replace Alonso.

Lucas - I can't believe he missed that header at the end.  What a golden opportunity to do soemthing big for the club and he arsed it up.

Our defense, yeah.....

Quick Reply