Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling

Read 25126 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Liverpool 2 - 2 Man City: Post Match Dwelling
      Reply #23: Nov 21, 2009 03:47:28 pm
      Disappointing result again.  The first half injuries set us back obviously, but I thought we recovered towards the end and started to look threatening.  City rarely looked dangerous considering the players they have.  Thought De Jong had an excellent game for them.  Good to see Stevie back, he had a good first half, plenty of passion and urgency.  Babel, I give up on him.  He is the absolute opposite.  Apart from one brilliant cross field pass I thought Kuyt struggled again.  Delighted that Skrtel broke his duck, gutted about his defending though.  Masch had a great game, Lucas was solid and did well in the first half especially with some good passes.  That was a bad miss at the end though.  If only one would go in for him.

The thing that really disappoints me is the way we sat back after scoring the first.  Don't know if it's a confidence thing or what, but I'd like to see us push up after we score and really press for another.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #24: Nov 21, 2009 03:48:26 pm
      Man City are a very good team who have underperformed all season. With our current squad complete with key player injuries, a result against them would have needed a full 90 minutes effort and concentration from the entire 11. Sadly, that didnt happen.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #25: Nov 21, 2009 03:50:10 pm
      Well, I was first a bit optimistic because we have the advantage on them considering our past encounters with them.

Game started, 1st half: For the 1st ten minutes or so we clearly has the posession over the ball. Great link-up play and we were adventurous when suddenly the unexpected happened; Agger's injury. After the injury we tend to fade a bit with a little less of control over the midfield area. N'Gog for me was clueless and uninspiring to begin with. Skrtel got unlucky as his header was met with a great save from Givens.

2nd half: First goal for Liverpool and the maiden goal for Skrtel. He was over the moon with that goal. We finally got what we deserved. But yet another less than great performance from our lads apart from Gerrard, Mascherano and Yossi who has been giving their all.Then a string of passes between them Citeh tore apart our defensive lines and eventhough I thought Ireland was offside but the fact that our crumbling defensive was shown in that move. After that 2nd goal then we saw the real Liverpool. Playing with passion, urgency and determination and was rewarded by a Yossi equalizing goal after N'Gog mistime shot left Given fumbling over the ball and Zabaleta failure to check Yossi. Then it was Liverpool all the way but unfortunately our weakened strikeforce couldn't win it for us.

My take on that game:
      Clearly there's something wrong in our defensive area. Whenever they got a corner or freekick it send shivers in my heart as I knew deep inside there's always a big chance one of our lads will make a mistake. When we're in attacking mode, we're amazing but without Torres it seems like we lost the ability to score. N'Gog clearly wasn't ready and he sometimes trying to be overconfident with his dribblings. We tend to be vulnerable when we attack and the gap between our striking line and the midfield was too big. Masch and Lucas tend to stay back even if we're attacking and thus we loose too many chances on the rebound.

Performance wise, we are still good despite the fact we have too many players injured. And now with Agger and Babel out, it's not helping. I know Rafa's trouble with this current situation. The fact he has been forced to play Yossi showed that Liverpool are lacking behind in terms of squad in depth. Playing two holding midfielder with one clearly not at par with the other one means that Gerrard has to concentrate more in the midfield area and less supporting N'Gog who I see not having the support he needed. I still see City not a big 4 material yet. Boasting with over 100 million of talents, they were second to none against our side with a defender of mere 1.5 million. But Liverpool need to tighten their grip in the back to revive any chances of challenging. It's not over till the fat lady sings but things has to be put the right way back.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Nov 21, 2009 03:50:47 pm

Yeah if you could afford his wages and get him to leave the Russia job, wouldn't leave it for Chelseaso can't see him moving to us!
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #27: Nov 21, 2009 03:52:41 pm
      2.2, last 10 minutes  , need to win to kick start the season again, bring a left back on  ,we can't afford to lose any more ground we needed to go for it  you have got to throw an attacking player on not a left back for f** ks sake  
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #28: Nov 21, 2009 03:54:09 pm
      Yeah if you could afford his wages and get him to leave the Russia job, wouldn't leave it for Chelseaso can't see him moving to us!

Even then I'd say no.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #29: Nov 21, 2009 03:55:28 pm
      I feel like crying.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: Nov 21, 2009 03:58:33 pm

Talk of him leaving Russia after he failed to take them to the World Cup
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #31: Nov 21, 2009 03:59:55 pm
      Although I despise most commentators and experts there is a common thread among them that Lucas and Mascherano play too deep and dont have enough creativity or drive to plough through a defense. Cant really argue with that really. I just think we are like a rudderless ship at the moment and are being blown off course and nobody seems to know what to do about it.Even with the injuries we have do we really only have enough talent left to win 1 game in 10 that cant be right so if I think about it I have to accept that the manager must really be responsible for our prediciment to a large degree.But having said it I dont like to hear it because it gives encouragement to the anti Rafa brigade and I am not in that club. We need a change of luck, a Lyon win and a good win for us against Debrecen and a good win at Goodision and all will seem well. In all honesty what odds would I get on that happening given our present form. But stick in Johnson,Torres and Aquilani  and things could change quickly.But as a Life long Liverpool fan I have never really had to just depend on luck.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Nov 21, 2009 04:00:48 pm
      We need a new defender.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #33: Nov 21, 2009 04:01:58 pm
      wasn't able to watch the game but one thing is clear...if we keep conceding 2 goals almost every game we are going to be in deep doo-doo. whether it is form or tactics or whatever it needs sorting.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #34: Nov 21, 2009 04:03:29 pm
      Talk of him leaving Russia after he failed to take them to the World Cup

Still won't end up here though.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #35: Nov 21, 2009 04:04:48 pm
      Some arseole gave me a minus for saying Kuyt was a defensive player well he isnt a f***in goal scorer is he.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #36: Nov 21, 2009 04:09:50 pm
      Some arseole gave me a minus for saying Kuyt was a defensive player well he isnt a f***in goal scorer is he.

He's the grafter of the team, but in all honesty, today he was F***ing sh*te.

Couldn't keep on his feet, sliding for passes, no control, couldn't beat a man, falling over all over the shop.

Has been dire so far this season.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #37: Nov 21, 2009 04:11:21 pm
      Have to say, I thought Skrtel was very poor today. Yeah he got a goal but for both of theirs his positioning was shown to be below par again.

Luck really wasn't on our side today. It isn't a complete excuse but when you have two injuries so early, one crucially in the centre of defence your game plan goes out the window. Benitez would have had a plan that worked with the players that started and not particularly with who came on. Aswell as that your options are limited later in the game because you only have one sub to change the game.

Saying that, we were capable of winning that game today. Both goals were preventable and apart from that City created little. We should have taken our chances, the chance for Lucas at the end really was a sitter. Plus there was a penalty shout late which I think was as clear as day, surprised that there wasn't more of a reaction from the players and fans at the game.
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2009 04:19:27 pm by ShanerB »
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #38: Nov 21, 2009 04:16:58 pm
      I'm a fan of Kuyt or have been but we need players to come forward and show themselves and I think he is one who is hiding from his responsibilities this season. Last season he did everything even scored 14 goals but he just seems to fall over now and the ball just seems to bounce off him.Its not only him is it they have all gon einto their shells somewhat and we need more from all of them. Even Stevie looks cresfallen at times when he sees some of the passing.Depressing as it is we are were we are and they need to sort it out.Hansen used to talk of a day of going to the dogs after a bad defeat. They never went near a dog track the went to the pub to sort things out. Rafa please let the lads go to the pub and sort things out as we are not playing like people who want to work together.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #39: Nov 21, 2009 04:31:06 pm
      Disappointed, obviously.

We were at them from the off, can't believe that we had another two injuries, never mind in the first 15 minutes. Hopefully they won't be out too long, but two replacements so early on was clearly going to affect things. That being said, I thought Kyrgiakos had a good game, I found him solid at the back, obviously dominant in the air, and whilst I wouldn't want him starting matches, he reassured me somewhat of his ability to be our fourth choice.

Stevie started very well, I found him a lot freer in his movements, as though he was far less worried about having to play within himself because of the risk of another injury. He obviously tired as the game went on, but it stands us in good stead that he completed the match. Benayoun was another who clearly wasn't 100%, and it's a shame he had to play so long when he wasn't ready.

Rafa was forced into substitutions that the squad just wasn't ready to cope with, and I feel it cost us over the 90 minutes. Mid way through the second half, you could almost see the players starting to wilt, City felt it, and profited from it. What was good to see was that our close to strongest line-up was still much better than theirs, I have confidence that in the long run they won't be a threat.

Struggling to find some positives here, though surely at some point these injuries are going to stop and we'll get into some kind of form? It all just feels so forced at the moment.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #40: Nov 21, 2009 04:33:18 pm
      A positive is we scored from a set piece. We may have conceded from one too, but we used to concede them without the goal scoring part.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #41: Nov 21, 2009 04:49:31 pm
      A positive is we scored from a set piece. We may have conceded from one too, but we used to concede them without the goal scoring part.

We did indeed, and I enjoyed it very much! ;)

The defence does need shoring up though, I don't know what's going wrong at the moment, the errors are just racking up.

However, it is also changing shape almost every week due to injuries/players returning. Our boys didn't just turn sh*t overnight, and I think when we get a settled back four (and starting XI for that matter), these things will sort themselves out.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #42: Nov 21, 2009 04:50:13 pm
      I think that was our 11th goal conceded from a set piece so far this season no wonder the defense looks like it is shitting itself every time we concede a corner or free kick. Rafa may have confidence in Zonal marking but the players dont seem too. I noticed Skyrtl pointing to the zone he was marking as if to say I marked my zone and he didnt score from in it even though he was the closest player and dint get a tackle in .Confusing or what. I understand the principal but players score goals not zones.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #43: Nov 21, 2009 04:55:53 pm
      We really fu**ed up not paying 4 million for Turner that Sunderland got him for, our spartan really is shocking and is a scared with the ball at his feet... Masch was good I thought and Lucas was okay nothing great... Insua again looked outta his depth constantly struggling to keep the F***ing ball under control... Ngog really needs to beef up... Oh man football can be depressing :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2009 04:58:06 pm
      Game was on at F***ing 4:45am here and i slept through my alarm. F***ing hell. Even though im disappointed to wake up and see we drew, i don't like missing our games.

So just from reading the match report, seems like we had the usual suspects working against us today - luck and bad defending. And i think luck and bad defending are very closely tied as well. I mean every other team has defensive lapses and often doesn't get punished, we do. What is with that? It seems the football gods are just hating on us at the moment, and i for one am sick of it. F**k off who ever is sticking the pins in, enough is enough. The injuries as well, i just can't believe it. 2 in 15 minutes? The FIRST 15 minutes?! Agger AGAIN?! FFS it's like a nightmare that will never end. Poor Dagger must be shattered. Even Babel, finally starting a match and he goes down.

Good to see what you wrote Ayrton, that at full strength we looked better than them. I would expect so too, and i feel we do have the best first 11 in the league. It's just getting that first 11 fit and on form that seems to be the impossible task at the moment. And it will be to late i feel. Im not giving up hope, but realistically im just hoping we make top four again. And it hurts me to say that.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2009 04:59:26 pm
      Well another game without a win, making it 1 win in the past 10 games.

Our TEAM needs some miracle work because right now .....

This was the game to turn our season around.
      The international break was to do us good... Come back with a vengeance
      This was not a top four team this was but only a new "pretender".
      We were going to move on from this

...and all of the rest of the bollocks.

What now? or even  Now what?

Quick Reply