Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Zaki Rules Out Switch To Pompey

Read 1890 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Zaki Rules Out Switch To Pompey
      Nov 24, 2009 05:19:28 pm
      Zaki rules out Pompey switch

Former Wigan striker Amr Zaki has sparked controversy after ruling out a move to Portsmouth on race grounds.

Zaki was believed to be a target for Portsmouth when the transfer window reopens with club shareholder Sulaiman Al-Fahim expressing an interest in bringing the Egyptian to Fratton Park.

However, Zaki has revealed he has no interest in moving to Portsmouth as he is unwilling to link up with Israeli duo Avram Grant and Tal Ben Haim as well as Algerian Nadir Belhadj.

There is bad blood between Egyptians and Algerians following last week's controversial World Cup play-off between the two countries, while some Arab Muslims do not see eye-to-eye with Israelis.

Speaking on his personal website, Zaki claims a switch from Zamalek to Pompey is no longer an option because of the fact Grant, Ben Haim and Belhadj are all at the club

"I refused their offer before, but now joining Portsmouth is no longer an option for me," Zaki said.

"After Portsmouth signed an Israeli player and also hired an Israeli football director (Avram Grant), a possible move was ruled out.

"On top of that, no way could I play at Portsmouth with an Algerian within their ranks."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5713286,00.html
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Zaki Rules Out Switch To Pompey
      Reply #1: Nov 24, 2009 05:52:27 pm
      Ever so slightly racist.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2009 11:33:58 am
      We have no chance of signing him with Yossi in our team then. :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2009 11:54:28 am

No. Just racially insensitive.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2009 12:24:33 pm
      tw*t.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2009 10:23:02 pm
      He wouldn't really be playing for them much though because every time he goes away to play for his national team he is about 6 weeks late on returning.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2009 10:26:43 pm
      Remember all the hype about him, and then he was sh*t for the rest of the season.

Looks like he's got a horrible attitude too. Just not the type of player you'd want at your club at all.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2009 10:28:17 pm
      What a 'high-maintenance' night mare to manage....this is footy mate !!!!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2009 10:29:54 pm

Bit out of order that. He's entitled to choose whatever clubs he wants and his reasoning is not racist IMO. I don't know about the rivalry about Egyptians and Algerians in too much detail so I'm not going to make a sweeping statement regarding it.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2009 10:58:50 pm
      Bit out of order that. He's entitled to choose whatever clubs he wants and his reasoning is not racist IMO. I don't know about the rivalry about Egyptians and Algerians in too much detail so I'm not going to make a sweeping statement regarding it.

Rivalry or not, to say you won't join a club because there is an Algerian playing for them is kinda racist, IMO. That's like me not wanting to live next door to a black man, purely because he's black.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #10: Nov 26, 2009 10:30:42 am
      It's because there were some recent incidents at a Algeria vs Egypt football match, in which fans were killed.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #11: Nov 26, 2009 11:51:16 am

Not racist you say?  The fact he won't go to Portsmouth because of 2 Israeli's at the club is 100% F***ing racist and his comments are bloody disgraceful.  So much for Fifa wanting to kick racism out of football.  If it was up to me I'd have these comments investigated and give him a 2 year ban for being a racist tw*t.

I don't know much about the Algeria/Egypt rivalry and I do know that some people across the world take issue with Israel, but as a professional footballer, Zaki should be ashamed of himself for these comments.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #12: Nov 27, 2009 02:22:31 pm
      It's completely racist and has no place in football or society!!  he is making a judgement on people purely because of their religion or nationality.  I have no problem if he knows them and says that he cannot get on with them because of a clash of personality.  this happens in life.  but he doesn't know them and has already decided he doesn't like them because of their religion and in the other case, place of birth.  what a tw*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #13: Nov 27, 2009 03:25:37 pm
      So no wonder we didn't go in for him when he finished his loan deal at Wigan!

Quick Reply