Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Debrecen 0-1 Liverpool : Post Match Discussion

Read 27705 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Debrecen 0-1 Liverpool : Post Match Discussion
      Reply #161: Nov 24, 2009 11:38:22 pm
      Were not out of europe yet,Were gonna win the Europa League,Were back on s**tie channel 5 now,  Is Aquilani cup tied?

Why would he be cup tied?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Nov 24, 2009 11:40:21 pm
      Gerrard and Rafa's post match:

Gerrard: Let's Go and Win Europa League

Steven Gerrard reflected on Liverpool's European heartbreak and declared: 'Now let's go and win the Europa League.'
      A fourth minute strike from David Ngog gave the Reds a 1-0 victory over Debrecen in Budapest - but it wasn't enough to save their Champions League status as Fiorentina beat Lyon in Italy.

While Gerrard accepts it is a blow to have bowed out of the tournament at the group stage, the captain is confident the season can still end in success for Rafael Benitez's side.

"The disappointing thing was having to rely on other teams going into tonight," said Gerrard.

"We've played fantastically well tonight and deserved the three points, so it's disappointing that we won't progress in the Champions League.

"You get what you deserve in this competition and the two late goals we conceded against Lyon have been crucial. But it's gone now - it's in the past and we've got to move on.

"We're in the Europa League and we'll go and try to win it.

"Tonight's performance was encouraging and we can build on that. We've got a lot of players coming back from injury so hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here."

The results mean Liverpool will drop down into the Europa League - a competition the Reds last won on a memorable night in Dortmund in 2001.

Asked if the players would find it difficult to pick themselves up to play in the tournament, Gerrard replied: "Of course because the main prize has gone.

"When you start the season, you want to stay in the Champions League as long as possible, so to be playing in the Europa League is disappointing.

"But we have to accept that, move on and go and try and win it.

"The only consolation from losing out on the Champions League is to go and win the one that comes second."

Gerrard admits Liverpool's primary short-term focus will be attempting to secure a top four finish this campaign and a return to the Champions League in 2010-11.

"It's important we finish in the top four, that goes without saying," he added.

"For financial reasons, but also from a personal point of view it is important for players to play in the Champions League because it's the best level.

"It's important we go to Everton on Sunday, try to get the three points and get ourselves back in the top four as soon as possible.

"Now that we've got the majority of the squad back fit, I'm very confident we can turn things around and go on a long run of winning games.

"Hopefully Torres is not too far away and then we'll have everyone back fit and go from there."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166587091124-2221.htm

Rafa: We Must Hold Heads High

Rafa Benitez believes Liverpool can still enjoy a successful season in 2009-10 - but warned his players not to let their Champions League exit affect performances over the coming weeks.
      The Reds did all they could by beating Debrecen 1-0 thanks to a David Ngog strike - but Fiorentina's victory over Lyon by the same scoreline meant we crashed out at the group stage for the first time under Benitez.

The boss admitted he was disappointed for the fans but urged everyone to stay positive ahead of a crucial Merseyside derby at the weekend.

Everton are one of the sides Liverpool could meet in the Europa League - and memories of a glorious campaign in 2001 means Steven Gerrard and co will be going all out to reach the final in Hamburg.

Benitez said: "You have to be disappointed. We did our job here but we cannot change things. If you analyse the games, two late goals against Lyon were a massive difference.

"You have the first half against Fiorentina and the two late goals but that's football and sometimes you can't control things. We had chances in all of the games - we could have won all of them.

"We have been so good in the last few years that people think it's easy to progress. You can see every year we've qualified and everyone expects us to be in the final.

"But the fans realise the team worked so hard and you can't expect more. We made two mistakes late against Lyon but the fans have some experience in Europe.

"We have to be positive, we have a massive game on Sunday and we have to make sure we are ready.

"I like to win every game and be as high as possible in all the competitions but I think more about the players, the staff and the fans and I'm disappointed for everyone.

"To win is always the target but when you are doing as well as you can you just have to think about the next target. We cannot win the Champions League, we know that. A lot of teams don't play in the Champions League. So we have to think about Everton and then the Europa League.

"The players know it's been a bad run of games but to win here and to show we can create a lot of chances is positive."

Asked if he and his team were keeping abreast of events in Italy during the Debrecen game, Benitez added: "At half-time we knew (it was 1-0) and we were waiting afterwards for news but the players didn't know."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166588091124-2238.htm

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #163: Nov 24, 2009 11:41:22 pm
      I wonder would it have been good enough for Shankly if the top 4 finishing teams in the league were qualifying for the European Cup.

That is a ridicolous comparison football was different back then. There were no Russian nor Arab billionaires involved and foreign players were not welcome to the extent they are now.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #164: Nov 24, 2009 11:44:07 pm
      Dls as usual your'e right. The Europa league is an admission of second best,and what did Shankly say about that?
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #165: Nov 24, 2009 11:45:19 pm
      Talbert said Rafa gone & cup tied Aquilani,I fort i ask if rafa has or not
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #166: Nov 24, 2009 11:46:06 pm
      Talbert said Rafa gone & cup tied Aquilani,I fort i ask if rafa has or not

Honestly now. What planet are you living on?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #167: Nov 24, 2009 11:47:10 pm
      "When you start the season, you want to stay in the Champions League as long as possible, -- so to be playing in the Europa League is disappointing" - SG

How can you take the competition seriously when the Captain comes out and admits this on TV ?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #168: Nov 24, 2009 11:48:47 pm
      "When you start the season, you want to stay in the Champions League as long as possible, -- so to be playing in the Europa League is disappointing" - SG

How can you take the competition seriously when the Captain comes out and admits this on TV ?

Because he is just speaking the truth at the end of the day.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #169: Nov 24, 2009 11:49:02 pm

That's how I read ScouseJay's post.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #170: Nov 24, 2009 11:51:52 pm
      For point 3 of your suggestions go back to point 1.

Really, everyone gets a knock for this mess.
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #171: Nov 24, 2009 11:52:50 pm
      Am not saying he cup tied,someone posted comment before saying Rafa gone & cup tied him, Don‘t know what he going on like, he thinking roma in europa thats why he saying that.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #172: Nov 24, 2009 11:53:03 pm

He just said it's preferable to be in the CL elite - of course it is but they have to acknowledge the position and work to get something out of it.  We have to stick together as fans now and get through this rough patch.
       :(

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #173: Nov 24, 2009 11:54:38 pm

Because he's the captain of the club a true scouser born and bred and he will be hurting as much as any fan if not even more that we have gone out tonight. Give him a few days to calm down & I'm sure he'll still feel disappointed to be out the champions league but will be looking at things in a more calm reasoned manner.
      babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #174: Nov 24, 2009 11:55:11 pm
      I cant believe this. Its over. We have been a disgrace so far this season. Where are the supporters who were screaming that we will win the league after losing 9 points?? Very quiet tonight aint they
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #175: Nov 24, 2009 11:55:41 pm
      Am not saying he cup tied,someone posted comment before saying Rafa gone & cup tied him, Don‘t know what he going on like, he thinking roma in europa thats why he saying that.

"Come again?"
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #176: Nov 24, 2009 11:56:14 pm

Truth hurts!

Personally, I think Rafa should field the Carling Cup 11 for the Europa League. Let the Assistant manager lead the squad there. But that wont happen.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #177: Nov 24, 2009 11:56:54 pm
      I cant believe this. Its over. We have been a disgrace so far this season. Where are the supporters who were screaming that we will win the league after losing 9 points?? Very quiet tonight aint they

Actually, no.

I think pretty much everyone is here pal.

Plus given current circumstances I can't take anything you say seriously with a username and avatar like that.
      babel99
      • Banned

• 141 posts | -24 
      Reply #178: Nov 24, 2009 11:58:10 pm
      Actually, no.

I think pretty much everyone is here pal.

Plus given current circumstances I can't take anything you say seriously with a username and avatar like that.

I speak the truth my dear son
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #179: Nov 25, 2009 12:00:34 am
      Get a grip fellas overseas,we don't have a blame culture here,but we reserve the right to comment on our collective perfomance,- manager,team, supporters.From this we take the positives into the next match.We need to beat the bitters as our progression up the league is now paramount.The Europa league means f*ck all to me,I don't want to win second rate competitions.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #180: Nov 25, 2009 12:00:42 am

Mate thats a F***ing joke of a thing to say to be honest, do you really think we'd be in this predicament had it not been for the number of injuries we've had take your "Defeatist Attitude" and shove it.
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 12:06:06 am by crouchinho »
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #181: Nov 25, 2009 12:01:04 am
      We don't deserve to be in the last 16, only ourselves to blame. This season has been an unmitigated disaster, some things going against against us, some our own doing. This game highlighted the two truly worrying issues at the moment, we are broke and we are playing awful football that does not look like getting better anytime soon. I expected us to be out tonight but I thought we would have gone out in style, instead we scraped a win thanks to some very dodgy finishing at the end by one of their players.

Some people are saying its embarassing that a club of our stature is in the Europa League, I say right now we look like we couldn't hack it there.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #182: Nov 25, 2009 12:02:12 am

Congratulations, you proved them wrong didn't you? tw*t.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #183: Nov 25, 2009 12:02:49 am

Yes, you and all the other doom monger's. Thank you for finally telling me the truth! I feel so enlightened ::)

Quick Reply