Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Have we progressed under Rafa Benitez given the money he has spent ?

Read 36376 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Have we progressed under Rafa Benitez giving the money he has spent ?
      Reply #23: Jan 14, 2010 11:22:55 am
      Bump.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Jan 14, 2010 11:26:03 am

Oh did you have too? Just another one for the knee-jerkers to devour :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Jan 14, 2010 11:37:35 am
      Oh did you have too? Just another one for the knee-jerkers to devour :D

Well Like I said in the Is Rafa the right man thread, soon the January window will close we are looking at free transfers/loan signing's  for this window even though we have sold players, so after Rafa's sixth season in charge and the close of this window, with out adding Dossena's and Voronins fee's to subtract from the average yearly net spend we'd be looking at 11 million per season net spend, adding their transfer fee's I suspect we'd be nearer a average yearly net spend of 10 million per season.

Not good enough in my opinion and Rafa has been frugal in keeping us competitive for as long as he has but that falls deaf on some ears as they are ill informed. ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #26: Jan 14, 2010 11:41:16 am
      Not good enough in my opinion and Rafa has been frugal in keeping us competitive for as long as he has but that falls deaf on some ears as they are ill informed. ;)

Trust me mate, i know all about some deaf ears here at the moment :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Jan 14, 2010 11:44:11 am
      Trust me mate, I know all about some deaf ears here at the moment :D

What?  :D
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #28: Jan 14, 2010 11:46:36 am
      Think if anybody answers no to this topic question then they seriously need their head testing.

Take your pick, Rafas current squad, or the squad houllier finished with...I no which one i'd take.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Jan 14, 2010 11:48:05 am

Oh yeah, forgot to mention smartarse ears as well ::)

;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #30: Jan 14, 2010 11:53:16 am
      Without a doubt we have progressed under rafa but for some reason this season we are not playing like a team.You can argue about the injuries but we cannot keep using that excuse.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Jan 14, 2010 12:01:46 pm
      Update 2009/2010 January window so far.

Players in.

Maxi Rodriguez  Free Transfer

Players out.

Andrea Dossena £4.25 million
      Andriy Voronin    £1.8  million

Total Players Bought: £228,976,000

Total Players Sold: £151,600,000

Total Net Spend: £77,376,000

Yearly Average net spend. £12,896,000

bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #32: Jan 14, 2010 12:03:09 pm
      We progressed well in Rafa's early years here, he was given money to spend and everything looked good, but by the beginning of the season before this, some on here were beginning to see the money had dried up, Rafa then has has to generate his own wealth by selling good players, and this was to try and improve the team. It would have been useless to try and sell Voronin or one or two others, not much return.

So Rafa was put in a position that to improve the team he had to sell good players like Bellamy and Crouch, that was the only way he could generate money. I couldn't see our competitors doing anything like that, their boards would hand over the money for players to add to the squad, not strip it down to the bare bones. When we have injuries now we have to play players who are not ready like N'Gog or else play players like Babel who blows hot and cold, he shows glipses of what he could do, and then undoes all his work from the week before by playing awful football, not Rafa's fault if the clubs to big for Babel, I think he tries to hard.

It's obvious to me the problem is not Benitez because anyone coming in would have the same problems, and here I think Rafa did us proud, he got us to No. 1 in the Euro tree, that takes some doing and for that alone his job should be safe. If we do lose Rafa I see nothing but troubled times ahead, we must keep our nerve at boardroom level, it's been bad enough having these people here, but if they go for the easy problem because the fans want him out(or some do)they will be making a wrong move, and it will take years to recover.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #33: Jan 14, 2010 12:12:23 pm
      The first three years Rafa had a little bit of money to spend. But after the Americans got their feet under the table, and since the summer of 2008 we have had no investment in new players. In fact the club have turned a profit.

It is no coincidence that when you start to weaken the foundations of a club that cracks start to appear.

Last summer gone was an ideal opportunity to INVEST in the club to take the next step, to give the players a boost and a bit more competition and give the fans belief.

What did the owners do? Turned a transfer profit of £10M because the banks wanted some of their money back. 

I think in the first 3 years the squad was progressing.  Since the money has dried up, understandably, the quality and competitiveness of the squad has dipped.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,009 posts | 225 
      Reply #34: Jan 14, 2010 12:19:40 pm
      NO
      It has taken Rafa 6 years to build a team of 4/5 players, spent millions and 2 of those players were there at LFC before he arrived.
      Won the champions league with a Houllier team following year won FA Cup with a half  of his own team.
      In my opinion is a no

Steven Gerrard
      Fernando Torres
      Jamie Carragher
      Pepe Reina
      {Alonso} now gone
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #35: Jan 14, 2010 01:45:33 pm
      The way rafa has been dealing in the transfer market im suprised the yanks havent snapped him up to the boardroom i mean this guy has made alot of money for this club,its simple you take money out of your business and dont re-invest the you will see the decline of that business,its what these two cu*ts are all about milking the cash cow,rafa would have to spend at least a good part of 75 million in the summer to get some quality players in and that aint gonna happen,in the mean time im just glad we got rafa as our manager.
      SteinFan
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      Reply #36: Jan 14, 2010 02:51:20 pm
      NO
      It has taken Rafa 6 years to build a team of 4/5 players, spent millions and 2 of those players were there at LFC before he arrived.
      Won the champions league with a Houllier team following year won FA Cup with a half  of his own team.
      In my opinion is a no

Steven Gerrard
      Fernando Torres
      Jamie Carragher
      Pepe Reina
      {Alonso} now gone

4 poits off the top last year doesnt seem all that bad.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #37: Jan 14, 2010 02:57:19 pm
      NO
      Won the champions league with a Houllier team following year won FA Cup with a half  of his own team.
      In my opinion is a no

Steven Gerrard
      Fernando Torres
      Jamie Carragher
      Pepe Reina
      {Alonso} now gone

Add

Crouch
      Johnson
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Garcia
      Benayoun
      Aquilani
      Mascherano
      Aurelio (Maybe)
      Riera (Maybe)
      Rodriguez (maybe)

to your list

and it doesn't look so bad considering Rafa's average yearly net spend now amounts to £12,896,000 per year. Not bad considering he brought Torres Aquilani and Masch in for around a combined fee of around 58 million.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Jan 16, 2010 12:33:06 pm
      Since Hicks and Gillet took over Liverpool F.C our transfer net spend has been round about 30 million, average yearly net spend of 10 million average yearly transfer window net spend of 5 million.

F**k me it gets worse.
      martynash
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 18, 2010 01:35:19 am
      05/06 was the year he bought correctlly since then its crumbled badly
      great stats by the way
      sivapc
      • Banned

• 238 posts | -25 
      Reply #40: Jan 18, 2010 01:47:14 am
      selling Riise was the biggest mistake Rafa done.

he's always fit, consistent, versatile and has a knack of scoring goals. Something that has been missing from our side ever since his departure.

Finnan is another one, but he was aging and his departure was understandable.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #41: Jan 18, 2010 03:55:40 am
      Now the question I’m asking is simple have we progressed under Rafa ?

We haven't progressed as much as we should have.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: Jan 18, 2010 04:04:14 am
      Champions League win, final and regular challengers (bar this season) and improved league performance (again bar this year) including the great season last year. All this with investment dwindling down to nothing last year. Yes we have progressed, but we will start going the other way regardless of manager if we don't get better investment into the squad.

And im sick of the "he won the Champions League with Houlliers team" yeah, it was mostly that team. But it was Rafa that got them there, i really doubt we would be talking about Istanbul had Houllier stuck around another season.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #43: Jan 18, 2010 04:14:08 am
      It friggin doesnt make sense whats been going on all around does it?
      You would think Rafa was a dum bum of a manager who somehow managed 1 decent season but now is back to his pathetic ways...
      You friggin kidding me???

Look at his last 8 years for crying out loud:
      2 liga titles and a Eufa cup with Valencia during the first galacticos era, still regarded as "god there", in short enormous success...
      And 5 seasons, all of which were successes without a doubt and if for once in a decade Rafa is having a medioce season SO FAR, its not over and it WILL get better, people are chaining him to the boulders and whipping him and boiling him in hot oil...

Get real and try to realise that this season is the exception that proves the rule...

There may be problems with the team, tactics or whatever but patience is something we all should exercise in compassion, understanding and respect...

In fighting will not help, stand by the team and our support will lift them as it always has...

In Rafa We Trust...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #44: Jan 18, 2010 05:24:04 am
      We haven't progressed as much as we should have.

As much as we should have? How much is that? Win the league? Do explain why Rafa is somehow holding the club back, mate, because i can't see why we have the given right to be a top 4 club living off a mid-table budget.

We had some big guns in Gerrard, Carra and Reina sorting us from the mid table clubs and now we can add Masch Torres and drop Carra from that list which makes us different to mid table clubs.

Apart from those 4, we have a mid table squad. We have some good players in Agger, Benny, Lucas and Skrtel and had some crap like Dossena, Babel and Voronin like any other mid table side - good players and a share of sh*te ones.

Rafa has done in immaculate job on the budget he has and the squad he has.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #45: Jan 18, 2010 05:31:16 am
      As much as we should have? How much is that? Win the league? Do explain why Rafa is somehow holding the club back, mate, because I can't see why we have the given right to be a top 4 club living off a mid-table budget.

We had some big guns in Gerrard, Carra and Reina sorting us from the mid table clubs and now we can add Masch Torres and drop Carra from that list which makes us different to mid table clubs.

Apart from those 4, we have a mid table squad. We have some good players in Agger, Benny, Lucas and Skrtel and had some crap like Dossena, Babel and Voronin like any other mid table side - good players and a share of sh*te ones.

Rafa has done in immaculate job on the budget he has and the squad he has.

We haven't progressed as much as we should have, end of.

Quick Reply