Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Growing up Then & Now.

Read 4446 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Re: Growing up Then & Now.
      Reply #23: Nov 30, 2009 02:28:45 pm
      Use to run a kid's football team the parent,s are terrible. One father shouting break his legs and if you don't then I will. The kids were under eights. What chance do the kids have

My brother in law runs an academy in the US and he's telling me about the mums and dads kicking off at a kids game and there was mayhem they had to get the police out,they're crazier over there and really get involved.
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009 03:52:01 pm by Bpatel, Reason: Quote box fixed. »
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #24: Nov 30, 2009 05:16:22 pm
      Personally I think life has changed in so many ways.Lots of reasons for this,but for me the biggest influence on our society has to be drugs.Beit recreational/habitual.You may say whats the difference?Well I believe it comes down to the individual.People have for ever gone out and got drunk on booze and the large majority have a great time with no trouble and don't become alkies.Just as people (I know some )go out say on a Friday night and take recreational drugs,but would not dream of doing it through the week. The problem becomes a problem when that individual goes one step further and gets hooked.Once hooked they then become a family nightmare ie stealing, lying and even hurting people to feed their habit.Unfortunately I speak from experience (stepson).I left school & Liverpool in 1967 and can honestly say I did'nt know one person that took drugs.I find it scary the youth of today don't seem to have ANY respect for their elders(the first fundamental asset needed in growing up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #25: Nov 30, 2009 08:07:25 pm
      Personally I think life has changed in so many ways.Lots of reasons for this,but for me the biggest influence on our society has to be drugs.Beit recreational/habitual.You may say whats the difference?Well I believe it comes down to the individual.People have for ever gone out and got drunk on booze and the large majority have a great time with no trouble and don't become alkies.Just as people (I know some )go out say on a Friday night and take recreational drugs,but would not dream of doing it through the week. The problem becomes a problem when that individual goes one step further and gets hooked.Once hooked they then become a family nightmare ie stealing, lying and even hurting people to feed their habit.Unfortunately I speak from experience (stepson).I left school & Liverpool in 1967 and can honestly say I did'nt know one person that took drugs.I find it scary the youth of today don't seem to have ANY respect for their elders(the first fundamental asset needed in growing up.

Another media myth!

I know plenty of people with good jobs who take recreational drugs, who still have a lot of respect for elders, etc as I do myself and don't feel the need to steal.

You mention alcohol and alchies, what about the violence that goes on every weekend in British towns down to those who binge drink.

It's a two-way street in my book, gobshites are gobshites whatever they take or drink!
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #26: Nov 30, 2009 10:36:53 pm

I know plenty of people with good jobs who take recreational drugs, who still have a lot of respect for elders, etc as I do myself and don't feel the need to steal.

Did I say anything to the contrary?I was referring to the ones that go further and get hooked ie The Addicts.
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009 11:53:54 am by ayrton77, Reason: Fixed quote »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27: Nov 30, 2009 11:01:55 pm
      Another media myth!

You mention alcohol and alchies, what about the violence that goes on every weekend in British towns down to those who binge drink.

It's a two-way street in my book, gobshites are gobshites whatever they take or drink!
      True enough whether you do a bit of skunk or get wacked on the ale there's bad eggs everywhere and I've got to say I've seen some bad kick offs in the alehouse.I know loads of lads who did the dope for years and they're sound some are in better nick than the lads who hit the ale,which I reckon does more damage.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #28: Dec 03, 2009 05:10:23 am
      It's just amazing the crime rates keep going up and up in other parts of the world.

Just recently I went on my holidays in London and Paris. In London I heard the crime rates are high, that I was so aware of my own surroundings when it was supposed to be carefree and relaxed. I made sure that no one around me looked suspicious and when there was I would try to walk away. We walked around in big groups, I was with my cousins and so it was a family of eight. My sisters are young and they don't know these kind of stuff, so I always do my best to make sure they move quicker and stay closer, if not things might just get out of hand.

In Paris my dad lost his passport. I'm actually not sure whether he lost it or it was stolen, but when he was going to the tax refund area then he noticed that it was gone. Immediately the next day we went to the Singapore Embassy to cancel that and ensure that he made a new one. In Paris, there are a lot of teenagers smoking, fighting and hanging out without a particular aim, so sometimes it gets quite unsafe especially during the night.

Yes Joey I think that the biggest influence is drugs. Drugs take away families, they break societies. Drugs may make people want to steal, to kill just to support their addiction.

I'm just glad to see in Singapore the crime rates are very low, almost next to zero. I can go out alone, as and when I like it, without the fear of getting kicked the sh*t out of. The law enforced here is very strict. For example, if you have a couple of grams of drugs with you the next thing you find yourself in is getting capital punishment.

No one dares to have drugs here. Stealing is also uncommon. The moment you steal you get a few years behind bars, it's that serious how the government treats crimes here.

In other countries it is much bigger, much more tough to govern and the laws are probably less strict. Committing crimes in other countries you can get away with it much easier, but in Singapore if you commit a crime you make headlines in the newspapers. If you kill someone you get capital punishment straight away.

For me I think that is the difference why my country is so safe as compared to other countries.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2009 05:15:32 am by redsonfire »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #29: Dec 03, 2009 05:19:20 am
      ^ I thing that is the biggest influence the strictness of the laws, I was on holiday in Singapore about 10 years ago and even at night we felt very safe walking around the streets.

Round here walking round in broad daylight I get nervous because you can almost literally get away with murder around here, people have killed someone and got as little as six months, six months and especially as someone who is heavily reliant on public transport it can be quite daunting when catching the bus when I've had a late finish at TAFE given some of the things I've seen happening at the bus station.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #30: Dec 03, 2009 05:32:45 am
      ^ I thing that is the biggest influence the strictness of the laws, I was on holiday in Singapore about 10 years ago and even at night we felt very safe walking around the streets.

Round here walking round in broad daylight I get nervous because you can almost literally get away with murder around here, people have killed someone and got as little as six months, six months and especially as someone who is heavily reliant on public transport it can be quite daunting when catching the bus when I've had a late finish at TAFE given some of the things I've seen happening at the bus station.

6 months is nothing.

In my 15 years in Singapore I haven't seen any crime, not even stealing. Everyone is more or less law-abiding here, or maybe just scared of the laws, I don't know for that matter.

Six months, that's sh*t really. No wonder people just continue to keep killing. Like I've already said, if you do it here in Singapore you get a death penalty. Even for shoplifting it's definitely more than six months.

I read a quote not too long ago on the safety here. I don't know who's it from but it's something like you can walk alone at the beaches at night and not worry about getting robbed.

Is it legal to sell real guns in other country? Cause it isn't in Singapore. In a souvenir shop in Paris, I saw guns being sold, literally, rifles. I don't know if they're fake or not but it is a threat to society.

If every country could make their laws stricter then there will be a decrease in crime rates, definitely.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Dec 03, 2009 08:46:45 am
      Are there more sico's/peado's now than there was then?

There were no paedophiles when i was a kid - we had to buy our own sweets.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #32: Dec 03, 2009 09:27:40 am
      There were no paedophiles when I was a kid - we had to buy our own sweets.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #33: Dec 03, 2009 09:51:05 am
      Good posts ROF.Enjoyed reading from your & your Countries angle.An old saying by our elders used to be "bring back the birch that will sort them out"As an adult now I couldn't agree more.The punishment in this country imo very rarely fits the crime.However we couldn't implement the sort of sentences you speak of because our prisons sort of resemble Hotels ie single cells with game consols (if affordable) games rooms,access to a telephone daily and believe me when I say drugs are freely available.If they (the crims where shunted into cells by the bucket load ) and treated as proper law breakers.I think it may then be a deterrant.These people leave prison here and actually come out with bragging rights FFS.Anyway mate that's me rant over for now.(Speaking from experience too)Me stepdaughter involved with a prison  going lowlife (who's inside at present)he brags that he can "swap a pot noodle for drugs"Dreading the T**t getting out next summer.(Might pay for him to go to Singapore for a holiday ha).     
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #34: Dec 03, 2009 10:10:55 am
      RoF, are Singapore prisons based on reform or purely punishment?

To clarify what I mean, the UK prison service operates a reform system, meaning that when you are sent to prison, the idea is not just to lock you in a cell and forget about you but rather to encourage you to change your lifestyle and eventually leave prison as a better person. We'll all have our arguments for and against this system and opinions of whether it works but as Joey B said, it can mean that prisons are a little too cushy.

I should point out that I have never been to prison so my statements are based purely on what I have read and seen on TV.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #35: Dec 04, 2009 07:11:44 am
      RoF, are Singapore prisons based on reform or purely punishment?

To clarify what I mean, the UK prison service operates a reform system, meaning that when you are sent to prison, the idea is not just to lock you in a cell and forget about you but rather to encourage you to change your lifestyle and eventually leave prison as a better person. We'll all have our arguments for and against this system and opinions of whether it works but as Joey B said, it can mean that prisons are a little too cushy.

I should point out that I have never been to prison so my statements are based purely on what I have read and seen on TV.

More of reform IMO, but there are definitely punishments as well.

Depending on the severity of the crime you commit, they'll give you the number of years in prison as well as the number of strokes in cane. I don't know if other countries cane their prisoners, but Singapore does. Believe me, it isn't just the normal cane you can find in your local supermarket but it's those huge, thick ones, and they use force and it's very painful to even sit. It leaves scars there on the ass as well.

Other than that in the prisons they do their best to reform you. It's not like a hotel, no TV, no telephone, nothing but a bed in a very small cell.

In the prisons, they do their best to reform the prisoners. They do excerises etc, and also go through a lot of different programmes to help them reform. However, if you commit a crime then when you come out of jail there's a blackmark on you - when applying for jobs the employers will be alerted that you are an ex-convict.

However we do have a project known as the Yellow Ribbon Project. It's to help give ex-offenders a new lease of life after they come out and a chance to succeed. They help to raise awareness for the need to give ex-offenders a chance in society, and also give support for the ex-offenders for reintegration back into the society. It's been quite a success so far. I've even read that a former drug addict has become a counsellor in the Drug Rehab Centre here to help the addicts get over drugs.

So yeah, for me it's more of reform, but at the same time theres punishments as well, with the cane and the prison.

I was just checking it up, and in Singapore for 30g of cocaine/15g of Heroin you hold you get a death sentence. There are other drugs that can get you a death sentence, not just the 2 that I mentioned. That's how serious it is here.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #36: Dec 04, 2009 02:20:09 pm
      Interesting read, thanks RoF
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #37: Dec 05, 2009 12:19:20 am
      Growing up then was easy,all you had to worry about was your'e next meal and whether you could get served in your'e local pub.Nowadays addicts need medical help, dealers need hanging, or worse.So stop the rot at source.

Quick Reply