Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Torres - I Feel Like A Scouser!

Read 9636 times
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Re: Torres - I Feel Like A Scouser!
      Reply #23: Dec 03, 2009 07:38:18 am
      Hopefully his daughter develops the Scouse accent he's looking for. The Torres-Liverpool legacy will live on in her...
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #24: Dec 03, 2009 02:25:15 pm
      I appreciate the sentiment but it seems that every week he's making some comment about what he 'wants to do.'
      I'd rather see him concentrate on playing some football, as it's been too rare a sight over the past 18 months
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #25: Dec 03, 2009 02:31:15 pm
      I appreciate the sentiment but it seems that every week he's making some comment about what he 'wants to do.'
      I'd rather see him concentrate on playing some football, as it's been too rare a sight over the past 18 months
      Jog my memory who are you discussing here?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #26: Dec 03, 2009 02:34:04 pm
      Imagine what it would be like if Nando and Stevie get sons.

In 20 years time, along with Carra and Xabi's sons, we'll still have Torres,Gerrard, Carragher and Alonso in our team!
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #27: Dec 03, 2009 02:35:15 pm

I'm sorry but that's crap.

His comments are him taking the lead and showing the way for his fellow players as to what it means to play for this club. We don't sign a player like him every summer when time and again he will come out and underline his commitment for the club. Of course he wants to achieve something for the club and himself, we haven't been doing that for a long time. It's evident he wants to bring the glory back to Anfield.

Lots of players (including our club) play for the money and not for the shirt. They need no naming, sometimes you can probably see it for yourself as well. The money is good, especially at a club as huge as Liverpool. I can only probably say that Gerrard, Carragher, Torres play for the shirt, they sweat tears and blood and are willing to fight for the honour and glory of Liverpool Football Club.

With him coming out and making comments like this it's very pleasant. He shows the way for fellow players, he understands the Liverpool way and with players like him the spirit among the players can only get stronger. He inspires other players to follow in his footsteps, and with his words it speaks great volumes of what the man is. A living legend.

His injury problems come for Spain, don't blame the lad blame Spain. They've got to sort him out and protect him. Everytime we send the lad out to represent his nation he comes back with an injury. But still, I dare say even a 30% fit Torres is better than most 100% fit strikers on any day. He can be out of the game for 89 minutes and score that crucial goal that wins it for us. He's a matchwinner, he's the best striker on the world and that's how important he is for us.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #28: Dec 03, 2009 02:36:47 pm
      I can only probably say that Gerrard, Carragher, Torres play for the shirt, they sweat tears and blood and are willing to fight for the honour and glory of Liverpool Football Club.
      I would include Hyypia and Reina there as well. Riise?
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Dec 03, 2009 02:45:50 pm
      I would include Hyypia and Reina there as well. Riise?

I dunno about that, too close a call. What I know is that Gerrard and Carra are a given, they're Scousers, and now Torres says he's a Scouser, so okay, we've got 3 now. Think Rafa as well seeing how much he wants to fight for the club.

All of the three you mentioned love the club to bits but I don't know if they would go to such an extent for the club, honestly. I know Riise still keeps in constant contact with Rafa.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #30: Dec 03, 2009 02:49:08 pm

When's your next flight back to fantasy land?

::)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #31: Dec 03, 2009 02:52:32 pm
      I'm sorry but that's crap.

His comments are him taking the lead and showing the way for his fellow players as to what it means to play for this club. We don't sign a player like him every summer when time and again he will come out and underline his commitment for the club. Of course he wants to achieve something for the club and himself, we haven't been doing that for a long time. It's evident he wants to bring the glory back to Anfield.

Jog my memory who are you discussing here?
      Was he talking about Torres?....crap indeed
      El-Gamble
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #32: Dec 03, 2009 03:01:54 pm
      He is one of them players who we haven't had many of, the ones who really want to fulfill the expectations of us lot, him stevie and gerrard are for sure the ones that give their life to liverpool. He was one of the best buys we've ever done without a doubt.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #33: Dec 03, 2009 03:23:07 pm

I think it's valid.
      IMO he should get his head down and get on with it - if this comment was in isolation then fair enough, but its every week he's coming out with some grand statement - anyway Ronaldo said the same things at Utd; I take this loyalty talk with a pinch of salt - btw - Steven Gerrard plays for the shirt? If he didn't get his pay-rise in 2005 and then again in 2006 he'd have been off like a shot
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #34: Dec 03, 2009 03:56:44 pm
      I think it's valid.
      IMO he should get his head down and get on with it - if this comment was in isolation then fair enough, but its every week he's coming out with some grand statement - anyway Ronaldo said the same things at Utd; I take this loyalty talk with a pinch of salt - btw - Steven Gerrard plays for the shirt? If he didn't get his pay-rise in 2005 and then again in 2006 he'd have been off like a shot
      The facts are completely different to your assertions, Gerrard has stated unequivocally that there is only one club he wishes to play for and he could take his undoubted talents to any of Europe's elite tomorrow if he was inclined indeed there would be a manic stampede to sign him if there was the merest suggestion that he was unhappy at his dream club.
      He is paid for his obvious genius input into the team and although he could go elsewhere and be handsomely rewarded the fact that he remains at Anfield indicates that contrary to your claims he is not a mercenary and plays for the city of his birth.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #35: Dec 03, 2009 04:06:17 pm
      The facts are completely different to your assertions, Gerrard has stated unequivocally that there is only one club he wishes to play for and he could take his undoubted talents to any of Europe's elite tomorrow if he was inclined indeed there would be a manic stampede to sign him if there was the merest suggestion that he was unhappy at his dream club.
      He is paid for his obvious genius input into the team and although he could go elsewhere and be handsomely rewarded the fact that he remains at Anfield indicates that contrary to your claims he is not a mercenary and plays for the city of his birth.

As I said - if Liverpool didn't give Gerrard a massive pay-rise in 2005 he was gone - even despite the club smashing their wage structure he almost went and then repeated the whole saga a year later only for it to be ended by - you guessed it, a new contract.
      So feel free to extol his vitrues on the playing front but dont present him as a beacon of loyalty and morality because he comes up short on both counts
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #36: Dec 03, 2009 04:39:55 pm

As I said - if Liverpool didn't give Gerrard a massive pay-rise in 2005 he was gone - even despite the club smashing their wage structure he almost went and then repeated the whole saga a year later only for it to be ended by - you guessed it, a new contract.
      So feel free to extol his vitrues on the playing front but dont present him as a beacon of loyalty and morality because he comes up short on both counts
      What don't you understand about the previous posts? Gerrard could go ANYWHERE on the planet and command a higher wage than he gets at Anfield and there was plenty of media bollocks about the supposed move speculation as there IS only negative reporting of events concerning this club.
      No one puts him up as a beacon for anything he plays for the club he loves end of,as for the morality aspect of things I really have no idea where you're going with that one-but here's a point to ponder do you think it's morally justified coming on to a supporters site when you plainly do not meet the criteria?
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #37: Dec 03, 2009 04:46:34 pm
      What don't you understand about the previous posts? Gerrard could go ANYWHERE on the planet and command a higher wage than he gets at Anfield and there was plenty of media bollocks about the supposed move speculation as there IS only negative reporting of events concerning this club.
      No one puts him up as a beacon for anything he plays for the club he loves end of,as for the morality aspect of things I really have no idea where you're going with that one-but here's a point to ponder do you think it's morally justified coming on to a supporters site when you plainly do not meet the criteria?

I'm a supporter - just because I can analyse things from a different angle doesn't mean that i'm some crazed imposter trying to get a rise out of you.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Dec 03, 2009 04:53:54 pm
      I think it's valid.

Not valid. Get his head down?! He's been F***ing injured for gods sake! No offense but your whole post stinks of ignorance. Torres may look like he isn't doing much out there at times, but he is always just waiting for the right opportunity. And he takes them most often. I think him talking of his love of the city is fantastic, and something we don't see from modern players to often. I really cannot believe that you believe what you wrote.

And on Gerrard, read his book! He states his reasons very clearly. He thought the club didn't really want him, and was very very torn. What would you do if your club was showing little interest, at least from what he sees? Regardless of who you support, if you feel unloved you would feel the same as he did. Money was part of it yes, but it always is. He was our best at the time, and if the club is showing little interest in a decent contract then I would feel the same.

So get off your high horse, don't wanna see another ignorant post like that.
      bedsred
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 144 posts |
      • That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal
      Reply #39: Dec 03, 2009 04:57:56 pm
      I've been married 13 years and have two kids but if Nando walked into my house and said he wanted
      the lot I,d hand over everything to see him stay a red, (perhaps not the kids)He is a LEGEND already
      and heres to many more years.
      I'm straight as an arrow but I Love this man!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #40: Dec 03, 2009 04:58:23 pm
      Steven Gerrard said he never wanted to leave but he only thought leaving because he thought the club wanted money more than him. If a club is constantly stalling on your contract and news about you being sold arise everyday, you can't help but think 'Why aren't they offering a contract suitable for a player of my calibre?'. Anyone would feel the same.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #41: Dec 03, 2009 04:59:33 pm
      Steven Gerrard said he never wanted to leave but he only thought leaving because he thought the club wanted money more than him. If a club is constantly stalling on your contract and news about you being sold arise everyday, you can't help but think 'Why aren't they offering a contract suitable for a player of my calibre?'. Anyone would feel the same.

Explain why he felt the need for a new contract in 2006 then?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #42: Dec 03, 2009 05:07:29 pm
      You cant just make up passion like that.  I really think he's sincere about loving Liverpool Football and the Community. He seems involved in the community, he goes to restaurants and is not harassed, he can take his kid with him on the streets and not worry.  Thats what players want. I dont care what they say, They may want money and good contracts and Cups, but they want to feel connected to the team and area.  If anything, that can bring in the big names.

The majority of people on this forum, I assume, are from Liverpool or surrounding areas. Now, I am an outsider and have been on here and had conversations with people who are straight up good dudes. I have yet to come across any real pricks or people who are rude to non "Scouse".
      I have heard from friends who lived and visited the UK that it can be a very closed, locals only, mentality in a lot of areas and they all say Liverpool is a GREAT town with really good people.  One friend lived in Liverpool for 2 years and said it was the best city he ever lived in and he lived in Rome and New York. So thats got to say something.  He had cool neighbors who helped him adjust to living in Liverpool, helped him with moving in his furniiture on his first day in England and even invited him to parties after living their a week.  If I had to move to the UK, Liverpool would certainly be first on my list.

We saw what Manchester did to Beckham. The constant pressure, tabloid sh*t, attacking his family and personal issues,  Manchester pushed their own home-grown, superstar out of town and for what.
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Reply #43: Dec 03, 2009 05:38:45 pm

We saw what Manchester did to Beckham. The constant pressure, tabloid sh*t, attacking his family and personal issues,  Manchester pushed their own home-grown, superstar out of town and for what.

You could be right in a sense put it was Ferguson who pulled the trigger
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #44: Dec 03, 2009 05:47:06 pm
      Explain why he felt the need for a new contract in 2006 then?

He mentioned in his book that he just wants to get paid what midfielders like him should get. He stated he isn't a money grabbing c*nt but he just wants what it is at it's going rate.
      StevieJesus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 316 posts |
      • Liverpool Fc - One name. One legend
      Reply #45: Dec 03, 2009 05:51:42 pm
      Two words. Man crush.

Quick Reply