Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Change the system?

Read 6061 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Change the system?
      Reply #23: Dec 10, 2009 03:57:21 pm
      keirrison to liverpool

babel to benfica

:P
      FFS we are talking about the system, not selling someone off!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Dec 10, 2009 04:38:09 pm
      Hows about we just stick to the same formation and Rafa plays his strongest Starting XI (A luxury he has not had all season long) for the next few games and see what happens ?, Then if something needs changing, address it.

I know we havent had Torres and Stevie together alot this season but we shouldnt be basing our hopes on 2 players playing. It is also possible that other teams now know how to set up against us in that system and we have no plan b
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Dec 10, 2009 04:41:11 pm
      I know we havent had Torres and Stevie together alot this season but we shouldnt be basing our hopes on 2 players playing. It is also possible that other teams now know how to set up against us in that system and we have no plan b

But were not going to find out if the players in Rafa's strongest Starting XI can play his favoured formation, maybe it wont work with Aquilani slotting in there who knows ?, I think we have to see what plan A offers before we start worrying about plan B.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #26: Dec 10, 2009 04:43:14 pm
      I think before we go crazy about suggesting actual formation changes we should remember that the formation worked exceptionally well last season.

I think it is very rash to suggest a formation change when it is clear that it is players underperforming that is primarily at fault.  If all our players were playing to the level we know they can and then we were suffering that would be a good time to consider formation changes.

The forward line and wingers are not doing their job but I haven't seen very many teams bossing games against us and controlling the midfield.  A bit more guile from the four attacking players and a bit more steel in the defence and I think our current system should be more than adequate.

On your 1st point I agree it worked great. But last season is last season 3 wins in 14 suggests it isnt working now. With regards to players underperforming theres 2 options open to Rafa, as this topic suggests change formation or change players. If for example Kuyt hasnt been playing well over a period of games try someone else.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      Reply #27: Dec 10, 2009 04:48:27 pm
      But were not going to find out if the players in Rafa's strongest Starting XI can play his favoured formation, maybe it wont work with Aquilani slotting in there who knows ?, I think we have to see what plan A offers before we start worrying about plan B.

What originally made me write this post wasnt to have a pop at our current formation more to try and gather waht people think of the system I suggested. I based it on having a defensive midfielder with a midfielder who can push on. Stevie is the best crosser we have which is why I moved him to right midfield. 2 full backs who can push on and a young forward who is perfect for the role behind Torres. I dont expect to see it used its only me putting an idea out there for a response. If im honest I dont think we create enough inthe current system and thats because its over dependant on Stevie and Nando
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28: Dec 10, 2009 04:49:25 pm
      I think we have to see what plan A offers before we start worrying about plan B.

There'll always be point during the season and maybe even during any given game that Rafa's preferred 'Plan A' isn't working Red. We should always, therefore, be prepared and ready with 'Plan B' - ergo; no harm done 'worrying' about it (or preparing for it if you like).  8)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Dec 10, 2009 05:00:13 pm
      If im honest I dont think we create enough inthe current system and thats because its over dependant on Stevie and Nando

I agree we don't create enough in the current System mate, however I believe that will remain the same as long as both Masch and Lucas are employed as a central midfield pairing.

Neither or player posses the vision, intelligence, ability and range of passing to orchestrate and control the tempo from the middle of the park and that for me comes down to how little we create.

So the only major change I would make at the moment is to play Aquilani alongside Masch in our Strongest starting XI as from what I seen I seen last night Aquilani looks to be a very creative forward positive playing footballer and I'm of the opinion if he integrates into the system quick and well, the problems we have seen may just start to disappear.

There'll always be point during the season and maybe even during any given game that Rafa's preferred 'Plan A' isn't working Red. We should always, therefore, be prepared and ready with 'Plan B' - ergo; no harm done 'worrying' about it (or preparing for it if you like).  8)

I don't disagree with that at all mate, I'm just thinking about plan A at the moment, not once has Rafa been able to field what he will consider his full strength starting XI this season, Would now that they are all just about fit not be a good time to see exactly what plan A has to offer whilst he has the players at his disposal, then worry about plan B in lesser games or if it is not working ?

I think our form has suffered enough through constant chopping and changing due to injuries etc, do we need to really set about self harming by doing more off our own backs ?
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #30: Dec 10, 2009 10:30:32 pm
      I think the team last night ,with a few tweaks ,would sort our season out.Aquilani did show that he can create alongside Mascherano and help supply good ball to Gerrard and Torres ,I would also like to see Pacheco get more first team games to support Torres ,Johnson at full back ,as usual, Carra supporting Agger,my one doubt is Insua ,although he has had some good games there is something lacking ...and of course Pepe in goal !
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #31: Dec 13, 2009 04:14:27 am
      5-4-1 Defensive
      3-4-1 Offensive

Reina

Johnson Carragher Skrtel Agger Aurelio
                          Masch

Gerrard          Aquilani               Bennayoun

Torres

What do you think of this? We can bring Kuyt, Ngog, Lucas, Kelly, Pacheco, El Zar, Babbel, Dossena, Insua In to refresh the team throughout the season. We could be strong defensively and menacing in attack! We'll have the best defense midfield and striker in the world playing!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Dec 13, 2009 09:53:51 am

3-4-1 Offensive....

What do you think of this?

I think nine players, (no matter how good they are), will struggle to win games.  ???

Quick Reply