Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

RATM - Christmas No. 1?

Read 7366 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      RATM - Christmas No. 1?
      Dec 14, 2009 04:46:25 pm
      Anybody else seen the groups/pages on Facebook promoting this?

Basically there's going to be thousands of people buying Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing in the Name Of' in an attempt to stop X Factor reaching the No. 1 spot again.

It seems to be working!!

Just looked on iTunes and currently the song is the second most downloaded track after the X Factor one. That's just iTunes though - would be interesting to see what's happening with other music download sites and physical purchases also.

I bet RATM are loving it aren't they!

Anybody know why it was this particular band/song chosen to try and compete? Or was it just a case of whoever started the campaign wanted this to be the song?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: RATM - Christmas No. 1?
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2009 10:42:04 pm
      It just started off as a joke I think, but it gathered momentum thanks to FB.

One of my mates said on Twitter that he checked play.com and hmv and they were number one on those two sites. As well as being number two on iTunes.

Power to the people.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2009 10:47:02 pm
      Indeed.

If the band didn't know anything about it then they must be wondering what the hell is going on!

Wonder how much money they're making in the space of a couple of weeks!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #3: Dec 15, 2009 12:29:43 am
      RATM don't care about money, which is probably why people have chosen a song of theirs, it's a political activist band. 'Killing in the Name' especially, is quite a well known political activist song. Not that this even remotely seems like political activism.
      « Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009 12:49:13 am by Dexter »
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #4: Dec 15, 2009 03:31:57 am
      isn't the most explicit song to be played in full on British radio? 16 f***'s and a muthaf****!?

i've bought it, would be great giggle to see the XFactor get Number2 behind it.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #5: Dec 15, 2009 10:26:02 am
      Its a good song - I hope it beats the X Factor sh*te just for the fun of it.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Dec 15, 2009 11:41:42 am
      RATM don't care about money, which is probably why people have chosen a song of theirs, it's a political activist band. 'Killing in the Name' especially, is quite a well known political activist song. Not that this even remotely seems like political activism.

Yeah.

But of course they care about money. Not having any of that.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Dec 15, 2009 07:06:58 pm
      On the news before. Really making progress this!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2009 01:57:52 pm
      Anyone here Simon Cowell talking about it? Really ripped into people about it!

Found it hilarious, an I hope they get to number 1!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2009 02:00:30 pm
      Anyone here Simon Cowell talking about it? Really ripped into people about it!

Found it hilarious, an I hope they get to number 1!

No, what did he say?!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2009 02:09:24 pm
      Simon Cowell: Rage Against The Machine Vs 'X Factor' is 'very Scrooge'
      Simon Cowell has branded the Facebook campaign to get Rage Against The Machine to the UK singles Christmas Number One slot ahead of Joe McElderry "very Scrooge".

The X Factor mogul claimed that despite the campaign to get 'Killing In The Name' to the top spot the reality TV show winner would still be victorious.

McElderry's cover of Miley Cyrus' 'The Climb' is set to be released physically today (December 16). Rage Against The Machine had taken an early lead in the chart race this week.

"We've got 500,000 singles going out on Wednesday and Joe WILL be Number One," Cowell told the Daily Star.

He added: "Why not let the kid have his moment? It's all very Scrooge. It's miserable to put down young talent. We should celebrate it. I am! Iā€™ve had a glass of champagne or two."

Cowell had already slammed the campaign previously, branding it "stupid" and "cynical".

Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello issued a rallying call on Twitter, writing, "England! Now is your time!" when he heard about the campaign.

Simon Cowell: Rage Against the Machine campaign is 'stupid'
      It takes a lot to get Simon Cowell rattled, but rattled he appears to be. At a press conference today, Cowell acknowledged the Facebook campaign to get Rage Against the Machine's 1992 song, Killing in the Name, to Christmas No 1, saying it was "dismissive" of the public as it was directed at him.

"If there's a campaign, and I think the campaign's aimed directly at me, it's stupid. Me having a No 1 record at Christmas is not going to change my life particularly," Cowell said. "I think it's quite a cynical campaign geared at me that is actually going to spoil the party for these three."

The campaign was started by Tracy and Jon Morter, who launched the Facebook group "Rage Against the Machine for Christmas No 1" earlier this month with the words: "Fed up of Simon Cowell's latest karaoke act being Christmas No 1? Me too ... So who's up for a mass-purchase of the track 'KILLING IN THE NAME' from December 13th (DON'T BUY IT YET!) as a protest to the X Factor monotony?"

Jon Morter told NME.com: "It's been taken on by thousands in the group as a defiance to Cowell's 'music machine'. Some certainly see it as a direct response to him personally." So far, more than 500,000 people have joined.

Only time will tell whether Rage Against the Machine have a chance of beating this year's as yet undecided X Factor winner. Last year's No 1, Alexandra Burke's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, sold 576,000 copies in its opening week, which means that every single member of the Facebook group backing Rage Against the Machine would need to purchase the song to ensure their chance of victory.

However, Leon Jackson, who won the competition in 2007, was able to clinch the coveted Christmas top spot after selling 275,000 copies of his single When You Believe in its opening week. That's almost exactly half the number of people who have promised to buy Killing in the Name on Sunday.

Last year a similar internet campaign saw fans trying to get Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah to No 1 instead of Burke's. Buckley's version made it to No 2, but Leonard Cohen's original, however, only made it to No 36.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2009 02:32:21 pm
      He shouldn't be such an obnoxious  c**t then should he?
      It's his own fault if people don't like him and it's further proof of his ignorance/arrogance that he takes it for granted that everything he touches makes millions.
                The music itself doesn't stand up without all the hype which is courtesy of Cowell anyway so the challenge is the best thing that could happen,he doesn't know sh*t about music all he does know about is making money.
      « Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009 02:44:51 pm by stuey »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2009 02:43:09 pm
      Im gonna buy RATM when I nip into town. Cos Im cool and go with the trends.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Dec 16, 2009 04:03:44 pm
      Im gonna buy RATM when I nip into town. Cos Im cool and go with the trends.

Haha! Made me laugh that.

Anyone know what Tom Morello's Twitter link is?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #14: Dec 16, 2009 04:28:45 pm
      Sorry this is not fair, if the likes of Leon where number one at christmas because of the X factor, surely Joe deserves to be number one as he actually does have a great voice.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #15: Dec 16, 2009 04:46:54 pm
      F**k YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!

MOTHERFUCKER!!!

:action-smiley-035:

I'd love nothing more for Christmas than to see this at number one rather than whiny voice Joe.  Love this song. ;D
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #16: Dec 16, 2009 10:56:06 pm
      The comedy thing is that RATM are signed to a subsidiary of Sony Music Inc. and Simon Cowell works for and owns part of....

That's right, Sony Music BMG.

So really the money is still going into his pocket regardless, incidentally I didn't buy it as I think RATM are a giant bag of festering arsecrack.

That is all.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #17: Dec 18, 2009 10:06:23 am
      The comedy thing is that RATM are signed to a subsidiary of Sony Music Inc. and Simon Cowell works for and owns part of....

That's right, Sony Music BMG.

So really the money is still going into his pocket regardless, incidentally I didn't buy it as I think RATM are a giant bag of festering arsecrack.

That is all.
      He is a smug b***ard and no mistake.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #18: Dec 18, 2009 01:29:11 pm
      Rage Against the Machine battles Simon Cowell for UK chart supremacy: Whose side are you on?

For reasons I would need a large academic grant and three or four years to fully explain, my homeland of Britain is absolutely obsessed with the question of who is going to have the No. 1 single at Christmas. In recent times, however, this has become something of a one-horse race, with the lucrative honor going to whoever wins the hugely popular, Simon Cowell-adjudged X Factor reality show. Then, earlier this year, some impish, Cowell-hating types began a Facebook campaign to get Rage Against the Machineā€™s awesome, and awesomely foul-mouthed, 1992 single ā€œKilling in the Nameā€ topping the charts instead.

Last week, Simon Cowell described the campaign as ā€œstupid.ā€ But over the past few days the battle has gotten a lot hotter. On Sunday, an 18-year-old named Joe McElderry won this yearā€™s X Factor and yesterday he released his Christmas single, a version of the Miley Cyrus single ā€œThe Climb.ā€ Then, this morning, RATM appeared on BBC Radio Five Live. Guitarist Tom Morello described the effort to get them to number one as, ā€œa real, completely grassroots campaign, started by real fans of music.ā€ Meanwhile, another band member (frontman Zack de la Rocha, Iā€™m 99.9 percent certain) described Simon Cowell as someone who ā€œseems to have profited greatly off humiliating people on live television.ā€

The band then proceeded to play a version of ā€œKilling in the Nameā€ that included a flurry of F-bombs, to the obvious horror of the BBC presenters who yanked the performance and made clear they had told the band to keep matters radio-friendly (though, as the main offending lyric is, of course, ā€œFā€” you, I wonā€™t do what you tell me,ā€ you would have thought the DJs might have seen this turn of events coming). You can hear the whole shebang below. Meanwhile, it seems the chart race itself remains extremely close.

What do you think about all this? Would you consider buying ā€œKilling in the Nameā€ or even buying it again, just to tick off Simon Cowell (and to help the homeless charity Shelter, which is benefiting from sales of the track)? Feel free to compare and contrast the respective singles by RATM and McElderry and send me your report. Maybe Iā€™ll get that academic grant yet!

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/12/17/rage-against-the-machine-simon-cowell/

I'm not really a fan of rage, but I found this hilarious in it's own way. That was until BR78 pointed out the Sony link. Now I don't care.

Though reading about the UK Xmas #1 thing made me think of Bill Nighy in "Love Actually". Hilarious!  :laugh:
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Dec 18, 2009 01:30:22 pm
      To be fair though, I'm not so sure this is being to done to go against Cowell, I think it's more the fact that X Factor artists comfortably get the number 1 spot every year and it's boring.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #20: Dec 19, 2009 05:05:06 pm
      Im very behind this campaign.  Have been from the start. RATM are one of my fave bands.

I like the X Factor, up until the live shows.  But lets be honest, it is 4 untalented sheep who make a living humiliating deluded idiots oin front of a live audience and 10million viewers.  What annoys me most is that these people are hand picked before they see the flat headed Cowell c**t.

Its televised bullying and it has totally ruined the modern day music industry.

I heard a scary fact the other day.  Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller (co creator) have pocketed 150million each this decade from X Factor and American Idol, making them this decades Beatles in terms of earning.

RATM have nothing tao do with this, they didnt re-release the single it is purely fan power.  And if it stops the stranglehold the X Factor has on the Christmas Number 1 i will be so happy

Never mess with us real fans
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Dec 20, 2009 11:46:02 am
      X Factor's Joe McElderry brands Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' 'dreadful'

X Factor winner Joe McElderry has branded Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' "dreadful" after finally hearing his chart nemesis.

The star, who is currently 11,000 sales ahead of the Los Angeles band with 'The Climb', said he hated the track.

"They can't be serious!" he said. "I had no idea what it sounded like. It's dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

"I wouldn't buy it. It's a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn't like it. They wouldn't get through to boot camp on The X Factor - they're just shouting."

Simon Cowell has already branded the Facebook campaign to get Rage Against The Machine to the UK singles Christmas Number One slot ahead of Joe McElderry "very Scrooge".

The X Factor mogul claimed that despite the campaign to get 'Killing In The Name' to the top spot the reality TV show winner would still be victorious.

Now, McElderry has defended Cowell and said his own track deserves to be Christmas Number One.

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48964

What a knob. Didn't need to say anything.

Plus, telling The sh*t? Get a grip.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2009 07:15:38 pm by Court LFC, Reason: The Sun quote taken OUT of this post »
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #22: Dec 20, 2009 07:11:18 pm
      RATM are the official #1.

End of.

Quick Reply