Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Glen Johnson: RB or on the wing?

RB
      (17.2%)
      Winger
      (68.7%)
      Undecided (for Bad Boy Bubby ;))
      (14.1%)

Glen Johnson, RB or RM?

Read 16040 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Glen Johnson, RB or RM?
      Reply #69: Nov 07, 2010 12:19:44 am
      I went for undecided because I'm undecided.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #70: Nov 07, 2010 12:51:59 am
      Absolutely overated,sell him off,we have better Ressies.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #71: Nov 07, 2010 12:54:49 am
      Absolutely overated,sell him off,we have better Ressies.

Sort of agree.

He wouldn't be in my ideal Liverpool team.

I think there are better right backs and better right wingers out there.

You could argue a slightly older Kelly and older Pacheco even are better than him in either position.

But, alas I don't think we would get much for him.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #72: Nov 07, 2010 01:04:31 am
      I'm not sold on Johnson yet either, play him RB cos Kuyt will be back soon and that's his position!
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #73: Nov 07, 2010 01:04:39 am
      If I had to put my life in the hands of one individual,and the choice was Glen Johnson or John Flannagan,then there is no contest,Flannagan,is the real deal.Top player,a young Jamie Carragher.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #74: Nov 07, 2010 01:37:41 am
      If I had to put my life in the hands of one individual,and the choice was Glen Johnson or John Flannagan,then there is no contest,Flannagan,is the real deal.Top player,a young Jamie Carragher.

But where would you play Johnson?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #75: Nov 07, 2010 02:43:22 am
      Rafa couldn't get him to defend properly and we all know Rafa liked his team's foundation based on a great defence with a very handy, right back. Steve Finnan - brilliant under Rafa. Arbeloa - a little less than Steve but solid nonetheless and never disappointed. Glen Johnson - rare blip for Rafa. If Rafa couldn't turn Glen into a good right back then, with respect to the manager, Roy won't be. He's certainly not done much to justify his bloated £18 million price tag. The only option left to justify that is to trial him out for a bit in right midfield. It sounds easy but in reality I think it's much harder but it's worth a shot.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #76: Nov 07, 2010 04:12:45 am
      Depends on the system we're using really.  Last season I wanted him at RB and that was the end of it.  This season I'm more leaning towards RM/RW but only because of the horrendous system we play and the limit of freedom our RBs have been given in marauding forward.  Ideally though, want him at RB with a change of system :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #77: Nov 07, 2010 07:13:30 am
      Give him a couple of games in the reserves at right midfield and see how he goes,by doing that it will not cost us any league points if he is a failure.On the other hand if it works then maybe we can buy a good right back in January.
                                                     If none of that works I say bring back a proven goal scoring right back-Chris Lawler. :f_tongueincheek:
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #78: Nov 07, 2010 07:29:28 am
      I don't think he would ever be a world class winger, but he certainly isn't a world class defender either. He's one of the few players (on the senior team) that can take the ball past people, so he is the closest thing we have to an attacking winger we have.(Babel isn't good enough)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #79: Nov 07, 2010 08:20:57 am
      I don't see the harm in trying, providing we have someone at RB filling in who can actually defend.

Roy obviously doesn't like his defenders playing football, which is why Agger isn't getting a look in, so Johnson probably has the shackles on too. There's less (but not necessarily no) responsibility up on the wing so we wouldn't have to worry about his defensive flaws so he can concentrate on ripping the arse out of players while up there.

The only drawback I can think of is that he has the space to run at players from full-back, whereas if he is up on the wing then the full-backs will be on to him like a hawk. Another pro for Rafa's attacking style, that everyone else seemed to overlook, over Hodgson's sit back and soak approach I suppose. :roll:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #80: Nov 07, 2010 08:55:16 am
      Just noticed this thread and the poll - you cheeky git!  ;D

I'll stand over my assertion that, if you're "undecided", you don't actually have an opinion and shouldn't either post or vote.  >:D

In my opinion Glen is better going forward than he is defending so it's a no-brainer.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #81: Nov 07, 2010 09:35:40 am
      Just noticed this thread and the poll - you cheeky git!  ;D

I'll stand over my assertion that, if you're "undecided", you don't actually have an opinion and shouldn't either post or vote.  >:D

In my opinion Glen is better going forward than he is defending so it's a no-brainer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #82: Nov 07, 2010 10:07:53 am
      If Johnson was sold we would get at least £15 million for him, attacking full backs are essiential in successful modern day football.

Johnson is as good an attacking full back as there is in the Premiership, fact well according to opta and from what I've seen. He is one of the few players we have that would walk into most teams.

Look at Maicon an attacking full back, I've often said on here he was poor in defence but have being pulled on it by a few on here well ye know now what I was talking about after the match the other night.

If you want attacking full backs and attacking football I'm sorry but you have to sacrifice a bit on the defensive side. There is no right back in the Premiership I'd take ahead of him.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #83: Nov 07, 2010 10:17:53 am
      I wish Roy would have the balls to at least try him as a winger.To much to hope for i suppose!!!!
      The lad could be reinvented,if you see what im saying.For me RW all day.
      imcfitz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts |
      Reply #84: Nov 07, 2010 12:04:46 pm
      I chose winger not because O believe he woould be a better winger but more so because Id like to see it tried out. My only fear is that GJ is (whatever others may say) a great ATTACKING full back, that being said I worry his effectiveness comes from his ability to start deep and bomb forward using the player infront as both a decoy and link to further himself down the line. In short I believe his attacking ability comes from him starting deep in the pitch.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #85: Nov 07, 2010 12:12:10 pm
      Good post Imfitz and it is the difference between good attacking full backs and good wide midfielders.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #86: Nov 07, 2010 12:25:14 pm
      why must we take a good player out of his position and put him in a other position even if he can play good in that position .The problem with us we must try to get good wingers ...is good that he go foward a lot and create goals for us that is a bonus.. but for me our team wil be good if we have good wingers and a RB and LB who can also  join the attack...at least we have Jhonson in one positoin... we must just get good players on the wings and good LB and not play Jhonson out of his position
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #87: Nov 07, 2010 12:29:22 pm
      why must we take a good player out of his position and put him in a other position even if he can play good in that position .The problem with us we must try to get good wingers ...is good that he go foward a lot and create goals for us that is a bonus.. but for me our team wil be good if we have good wingers and a RB and LB who can also  join the attack...at least we have Jhonson in one positoin... we must just get good players on the wings and good LB and not play Jhonson out of his position

One word.

Bale.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #88: Nov 07, 2010 12:40:25 pm

Johnson's hardly doing anything great defensively and that is a liability to us whereas he has excel offensively, for an RB.

If Gareth Bale managed to make that transition from defender to winger, why can't Johnson, afterall, his attacking is much better than his defending.

Stick Martin Kelly at the back and he may do a job for us there, defensively.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #89: Nov 07, 2010 12:46:17 pm
      JH said he can buy world class players but the age must be right  and I also think that Bale have all the requirements ...even that his coach said that he is not for sale why don't we make our first move before other teams get him.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #90: Nov 07, 2010 12:48:02 pm
      Not at the moment, no. Maxi has earned another shot there.

His time at Portsmouth meant he played on the right wing a few times and did well but he's a right back for me and should stay there. However, if we're struggling in a game throw him up and see how he does. Could do a job.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #91: Nov 07, 2010 12:48:28 pm
      JH said he can buy world class players but the age must be right  and I also think that Bale have all the requirements ...even that his coach said that he is not for sale why don't we make our first move before other teams get him.

Honestly can't really see him coming here yet, not this season at least especially since Spurs are in the champions league and we aren't.

If we start playing football more properly and be back to that Liverpool team that challenged for greatness, it may change all those.

Quick Reply