Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Aiden McGeady (Celtic)

Read 10958 times
      ForzaNino
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 88 posts | -2 
      Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
      Dec 23, 2009 06:19:20 am
      Liverpool Target Celtic Winger Aiden McGeady

Interesting transfer news are out and it has been reported that Premier League giants Liverpool FC are following Celtic wing dazzler Aiden McGeady.

Scottish newspapers have reported that the Reds are tracking McGeady with a view to an £8million January swoop for the Celtic ace.

It was reported that Hoops legend and Kop ambassador Kenny Dalglish was at Motherwell for Celtic’s 3-2 win last weekend and he has been keeping an eye on the on-form wide man.

Dalglish first became aware of the Republic of Ireland star while he was director of football at Parkhead in 2000 and McGeady was a highly-rated 14-year-old in the youth team.

Ever since Scotland idol Dalglish has closely monitored McGeady’s progress to first team stardom.

http://www.totalfootballmadness.com/2009/12/22/liverpool-target-celtic-winger-aiden-mcgeady/

other sources:
      http://www.randalstowncsc.net/content.php?115-Liverpool-target-Aiden-McGeady
      http://rangers.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?p=97153
      http://www.aloadofw**k.com/liverpool-chief-dalglish-makes-check-celtic-star-mcgeady-523541

lots site reporting this, n most site are posting the same thing.
      maybe there is truth in this rumor.
      Since we can't attract quality+expensive players to LFC (out of CL), mcgeady would be a decent signing to help us improve our position in the league.
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 11:30:36 am by Bpatel »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Aiden MCgeady (Celtic)
      Reply #1: Dec 23, 2009 06:51:34 am
      None of those sources look to be trusted ones, interesting though. Still won't believe a word until i see a better source.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #2: Dec 23, 2009 06:54:16 am
      having seen McGeady play for Ireland many times this is a big no for me. He has put in some awful performances at times and although he can beat a man the end product is poor.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #3: Dec 23, 2009 06:56:44 am
      Really don't think he's that good. I watch him a lot playing for Ireland and while he has great skills and a decent bit of pace he has no end product whatsoever. He does well in Scotland and maybe for a bottom of the table Premier League team but certainly not a top 4 club. I hope this is only a rumour.
      having seen McGeady play for Ireland many times this is a big no for me. He has put in some awful performances at times and although he can beat a man the end product is poor.

Haha beat me to it Muck, practically the exact same as what I said.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 23, 2009 07:03:02 am
      :) I think if he was good enough he would be playing in the EPL already
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #5: Dec 23, 2009 07:35:40 am
      :) I think if he was good enough he would be playing in the EPL already

Let's hope he can up his game if this is true then, as these kind of players are more or less all we can afford. :(
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Dec 23, 2009 07:44:45 am
      Let's hope he can up his game if this is true then, as these kind of players are more or less all we can afford. :(

8m? Give it 3 years of saving and maybe if Celtic's feeling nice.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #7: Dec 23, 2009 07:50:36 am
      Can i weigh in on this, Scottish football is hardly my area of expertise but living in Glasgow tends to force you to take an interest in the Old Firm.

Personally from what i can pick up from who i've been speaking to about this is that, Celtic seem to be making McGeady the focal point again unlike the latter days of Strachan (two of them fell out a few times if i remember) and they are likely to demand more than they would of this time last year as a result but...

I think Celtic would accept an offer i reckon they are in need of something to boost their squad (playing awful this season) and it wouldn't suprise me if McGeady left but maybe not til summer and maybe not to us.

Seems a tenuous link to claim Dalglish being at Celtic game means he is scouting McGeady (don't we have scouts who'd have gone with Kenny surely?) and from what i've seen of McGeady i think he is in need of a move to make the step up but as inconsistant as he can be i think he's good enough for the Prem. Personally if he was cheap i think he's a better option that Kuyt and Babel.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #8: Dec 23, 2009 10:26:08 am
      He does well in Scotland and maybe for a bottom of the table Premier League team but certainly not a top 4 club.

How about a top 8 club... ;)

Seriously though I dont know anything about him, recognise the name but thats about it.

Picture it though, with all the players we are being linked with it could be Beattie and Heskey up front with McGeady on the wings.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Dec 23, 2009 10:29:23 am
      Not good enough.

I remember when I first saw him once and he put in a ridiculous performance and I thought. Wow.

Whenever I've watched him since he's been pretty sh*t.

No thanks.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Dec 23, 2009 11:26:30 am
      I've seen worse players, to be honest but i'm not sure about his consistency. He is a 'proper', out and out winger tho' and as such has to be taken seriously.

I'm always wary about dismissing players we're linked with because there may come a day that i'll be pinning my hopes on them and cheering them on - i wouldn't want to look like a hypocrite. If he does sign for us i'll be happy he's a Red.

On a final note - Boy he ugly.  ???
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #11: Dec 23, 2009 11:31:40 am
      I've never seen him play before, but on comments here he looks sh*te.

If he can't cut it out in the Scottish League then I'll doubt he'll make a decent impact on the EPL, if any.
      pragmatic
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Re: Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
      Reply #12: Dec 23, 2009 01:35:55 pm
      some of the opions in this thread are really laughable!! How can some of you comment on him when you havent even seen him play a game for Celtic?? Honestly it defies belief! He is a class winger for celtic and a great player although he doesnt reproduce his club form for his country( wonder where Ive heard that before) If we sign him it would be class and I would think he would shine playing with better players. I for one find him exciting to watch I do follow Celtic and Barcelona for that matter and Mcgeedy would be an excellent addition to our squad and we would not have to pay stupid money for him either. We have lacked a good scotsman since gary macca and he would fit the bill in my opion he can beat a man and also get a good cross in Ive seen him do it time and again for Celtic.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #13: Dec 23, 2009 01:38:57 pm
      sh*t for Ireland

But Celtic's best player.

Not sure he'll cope with the pressure at Liverpool. Never performs for Ireland because he just cant cut it on the big stage.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #14: Dec 23, 2009 01:55:31 pm
      McGeady isn't half as bad as he's being made out on here. He has had a few good performances for Ireland and is very capable of beating a man delivering a good ball and even nicking the odd goal. A definite plus is the fact that McGeady is also young not like some of the fossils we're being linked with. Im not sure about the 8 mil price tag but I think I'd be willing to take a gamble and give him a go.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #15: Dec 23, 2009 01:56:03 pm
      We have lacked a good scotsman since gary macca

He's Irish you tool, so before insulting peoples' opinion get your facts straight.

Good player, sh*t attitude.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #16: Dec 23, 2009 02:05:57 pm
      The claim that he cannot perform on the big stage is strange when you consider the fire and passion associated with Celtic support, if he could do the job for us what he does on the international arena is insignificant.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Dec 23, 2009 02:29:14 pm
      Good for Celtic but would be sh*t for us IMO.

Next target.... :laugh:
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #18: Dec 23, 2009 03:43:23 pm
      At least he's a proper 'winger'.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Dec 23, 2009 05:26:05 pm
      I used to be a member in a forum with a few Celtic fans and while they would all agree McGeady was one of their best players, it was also a consensus that he was very overrated for those who didnt watch Celtic play week in week out.

As I'm in that category (only watch them play once in a while - used to watch more few years back), I must admit I used to say he should be in the EPL, cause he is too good for the SPL. Not sure anymore.

Is he good enough for Liverpool? Probably not. I would have loved this rumour some time ago though.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #20: Dec 23, 2009 05:35:53 pm
      Huge no no for me...a decent winger in a poor team(that goes for all Scottish teams) in a sh*t league, nowhere near Liverpool quality IMO.  I'd rather keep Riera.

He's Irish you tool, so before insulting peoples' opinion get your facts straight.

To be fair, he was born in Scotland and played for Scotland schoolboys if I remember rightly. ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #21: Dec 23, 2009 06:05:27 pm
      He can be good.... But he can be dire too
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #22: Dec 23, 2009 06:51:24 pm
      He can be good.... But he can be dire too

Certainly don't need another one of those.

Quick Reply