Trending Topics

Steven Gerrard (Inter Milan/Real Madrid)

Read 16228 times
      Arnie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 249 posts |
      Re: Steven Gerrard set to quit Liverpool F.C
      Reply #115: Jan 17, 2010 11:28:26 am
      I'll reply to you keith, as you at least responded level-headed to my post :)

Look, I don't mean 'f**k him' as in I hate you, im gonna burn my shirt etc etc. I just mean my respect would go down IMMENSELY.

You have to remember, this is a man who has grown up as a red. Not just come here and turned into one, he has grown up one. Now I know most of us on here if it was up to us and we were at Liverpool, we would never leave. Because that shirt means everything to us. And that is what Stevie is meant to be as well. He has talked repeatedly about how much winning the title here would mean to him, and to leave just to win it somewhere else I can guarentee wont be the same for him. It would be like being married to a girl you really love, but then having the chance to f**k a supermodel, and doing it. It would be damn good, but you would feel empty and guilty at the end of the day.

So my point is, if Stevie doesn't care about Liverpool enough to stick around through this and take his chances, then f**k him. Good luck and whatever, but I certainly won't wear my Gerrard jersey nearly as much as I do now. Because he is my idol as much for his attitude and loyalty to us as his play for us. He embodies the last remnants of loyalty in sport that still remain, and if he leaves I honestly will lose a little more faith in the sport.

Hopefully that makes sense :)
      Agreed. Can't really add to that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #116: Jan 17, 2010 11:50:17 am
      Like Ross said earlier the man is probably fed up with having to confront those pasty faced F***ing weasels who work for the likes of the shitrag and say exactly the same thing that he did last season and every season before that.
      He has not stated anything that would be at odds with his loyalty to LFC,there was a reported disagreement with the manager and beyond that is speculation and more speculation which sells news space and puts money in the pockets of the pasty faced weasels described earlier.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #117: Jan 17, 2010 11:50:29 am
      http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/127638-steven-gerrard-linked-with-shock-liverpool-fc-exit.html

Steven Gerrard linked with shock Liverpool FC exit
      by Richard Buxton. Published Sat 16 Jan 2010 11:21

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is rumoured to be considering a surprise exit from Anfield this summer, according to reports.

The Daily Star is claiming a source close to the Reds skipper has revealed that he is eyeing a move abroad with free-spending Real Madrid and Serie A giants AC Milan looking potential destinations if he leaves the Reds.

Gerrard, who is currently sidelined for a fortnight with a hamstring problem, is alleged to be considering his options after Liverpool's tumultuous season has seen manager Rafael Benitez remain defiant in the face of calls for him to be sack.

The Huyton-born midfielder is believed to favour a move to the Spanish capital where he would be reunited with former Reds team mate Xabi Alonso who arrived at the Bernabeu Stadium last summer.

The source said: “Stevie turns 30 at the end of the season and knows time is running out for him if he wants to win more honours.

“The chance to link up with the stars at Real is one that excites him.

“The big fear is that it will take at least a couple of years before Liverpool can build a team able to challenge for the title again, and that there may not even be enough money around for them to do that.

“He loves the club, but he is frustrated at the way things have gone this year.

“But he doesn’t want to play for another side in the Premier League. If he did move, then he would prefer it to be abroad and a club like Real or Milan would be ideal.”
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #118: Jan 17, 2010 12:01:27 pm
      Note the wording in the opening to the piece -
         Linked with...rumoured...surpri se...according to reports -
        Quantifies a definition of INUENDO!!!
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      Reply #119: Jan 17, 2010 12:03:52 pm
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1243818/Steven-Gerrard-ready-quit-Anfield-Skipper-fed-Liverpool-struggle-Rafa-Benitez.html

Steven Gerrard ready to quit Anfield: Skipper fed up as Liverpool struggle again under Rafa Benitez

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard is ready to quit the club he joined as a nineyear- old two decades ago.

The England midfielder, who suffered a hamstring injury in the humiliating FA Cup defeat by Reading in midweek, looked a lonely and dejected figure as he sat in the stands at Stoke City yesterday and watched his team held to a 1-1 Premier League draw.

The result did little to help under-pressure manager Rafael Benitez as he battles to convince critics his team can salvage their season by gaining what is looking an unlikely Champions League place next season.

And it will not have helped Gerrard's mood as he wrestles with the dilemma of whether to stay with his home-town club and accept the frustration of yet another campaign without a major honour, or cash in on the final years of his career with a �40million move this summer.

He will have no lack of suitors, with Real Madrid, Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan and Premier League big spenders Manchester City believed to be interested in a deal.

Gerrard's discontent at Anfield has been obvious in a season when Benitez has again failed to mount a meaningful campaign for the championship and has struggled even to convince fans that a Champions League place is within Liverpool's reach.
      gerrard

Feeling the pain: Reports claimed Gerrard clashed with Benitez's assistant, Mauricio Pellegrino, over hamstring strain

That failure has left the manager open to speculation about his own future, and Gerrard ready to leave the club where he is held in such reverence by the Kop.

Sources close to City manager Roberto Mancini claimed last night that the Italian believes he can tempt Gerrard from Anfield to Eastlands after the World Cup in South Africa this summer.

Gerrard, always aware of feelings on Merseyside, could regard a move to another English club as problematic, in which case he could be more receptive to Mourinho's efforts to tempt him to Inter, although the former Chelsea manager has been linked with the Liverpool job should Benitez pay for his team's shortcomings.Spanish giants Real Madrid have also been monitoring Gerrard closely.

Gerrard's impending departure almost mirrors the situation at Anfield six years ago when he was on the point of making a �20m switch to Chelsea. Then, after manager Gerard Houllier left following a trophy-less season, a disgruntled Gerrard admitted his disappointment at the club's lack of progress, saying: 'For the first time in my career I've thought about the possibility of moving on.'
      Rafa Benitez

Not again: Rafa Benitez can barely believe it as Liverpool concede a last minute equaliser at Stoke City and are denied a vital Premier League victory

Gerrard's decision to stay was justified when Liverpool, under Houllier's successor Benitez, won the European Cup in the Spaniard's first season in charge, coming from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

Gerrard said afterwards: 'How can I leave after a night like this?'

But Gerrard almost did leave before suddenly deciding to sign a four-year contract following weeks of negotiations.

Gerrard's patience with Liverpool's lack of success under Benitez appears to have snapped with Wednesday's 2-1 FA Cup defeat at Anfield by struggling Championship club Reading.

Reports claimed Gerrard clashed with Benitez's assistant, Mauricio Pellegrino, over the hamstring strain which caused the midfielder's substitution, although Liverpool's manager yesterday denied any altercation. 'There was nothing,' said Benitez.

I don't know if my little lfc heart can take all this transfer stress.... First Xabi, now this... AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH would the owners just cough up some cash already...
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 12:10:43 pm by Liverpool_babe »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Steven Gerrard (Inter Milan/Real Madrid)
      Reply #120: Jan 17, 2010 12:13:51 pm
      'According to reports.'

It's always according to reports isn't it. Where are the reports? What are the reports?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see something happen but at the same time Gerrard has said absolutely nothing on the matter.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      Reply #121: Jan 17, 2010 12:15:51 pm
      Yes, I hate that... according to a source, report, friedn etc etc ... FFS just leave it be, if he does / doesn't we don't all need to be sitting on tenterhooks for months before anything happens, and the poor guy if probably just as stressed out anyway - injuries, team, etc
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #122: Jan 17, 2010 12:59:14 pm
      Stevie is our captain, and I think that the only thing he is thinking about now is how to get Liverpool FC back on track, not about Inter or Real Madrid. And all his friends, his family and stuff are Liverpool supporters, and he is Liverpool captain, so it's just impossible that he will leave us.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #123: Jan 17, 2010 01:48:58 pm
      If it was Carra in all these stories, he would have already come out and denied it.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #124: Jan 17, 2010 02:24:53 pm
      Until he comes out and is quoted at all about wanting to leave I'll support him at this club, the moment he decides to say he wants to go, we'll say our goodbyes to him and move on, Crouchinho is right, LFC>Gerrard, however important he may be to us all.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #125: Jan 17, 2010 02:51:39 pm
      LFC>Gerrard, however important he may be to us all.
      You do know that LFC>Gerrard means that Stevie is bigger than the club? It should be LFC<Gerrard.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #126: Jan 17, 2010 02:59:05 pm
      No, LFC>Gerrard means LFC is bigger than him, hence it being bigger at the LFC end, and smaller where it says Gerrard.
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #127: Jan 17, 2010 03:02:51 pm
      No, LFC>Gerrard means LFC is bigger than him, hence it being bigger at the LFC end, and smaller where it says Gerrard.
      My mistake. That's what I get for not going to school :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #128: Jan 17, 2010 03:15:33 pm
      At Gerrards age any offer over 50 million needs to be seriously considered and IMO as much as I love Stevie, I'd be very very tempted at 50 million, he's not getting any younger and at his age he's only got say 3 good seasons left n him after this one ?.

50 million = Silva & Mata so you get two younger players who are capable of playing in the hole behind Torres and out on the wings with around 10 million left over.

Add to that 10 million say another 5 million you get another young dynamic box to box midfielder in Javi Martinez.

Doesn't sound good selling Gerrard but when you can bring in three quality players, it does look tempting.

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #129: Jan 17, 2010 03:50:22 pm
      For 30 million I'd say no though, we let Xabi go at 30, Madrid got Ronaldo at 80 so why would the world's most complete all around midfielder go for less than that tw*t?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #130: Jan 17, 2010 03:53:07 pm
      To add to the illusion the article refers to Houlliers' tenure at the club and Steven was quoted as saying something about leaving the club all those years ago???
      WTF has that got to do with anything except filling news space which is all it's good for.
      To reiterate Gerard has made no statements even hinting that he wants out so it remains bullshit.

StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #131: Jan 17, 2010 03:55:36 pm
      Exactly, it remains bullshit, but you can see in him even yesterday at Stoke, he isn't happy, he's miserable here atm.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #132: Jan 17, 2010 04:09:24 pm
      At Gerrards age any offer over 50 million needs to be seriously considered and IMO as much as I love Stevie, I'd be very very tempted at 50 million, he's not getting any younger and at his age he's only got say 3 good seasons left n him after this one ?.

50 million = Silva & Mata so you get two younger players who are capable of playing in the hole behind Torres and out on the wings with around 10 million left over.

Add to that 10 million say another 5 million you get another young dynamic box to box midfielder in Javi Martinez.

Doesn't sound good selling Gerrard but when you can bring in three quality players, it does look tempting.

Hear what your saying Daz and if push came to shove that is serious spondoolies but where would the monies be destined?
      If and it's a big if the funds went towards a world class replacement well fair play but why should anything be different about this deal in comparison to previous transactions?
      That is why we are in deep sh*t because the owners do not have any concern for the clubs success and would be prepared to ease their debt burden at the expense of LFC, another hurdle the manager has to negotiate.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 06:55:05 pm by stuey »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,293 posts | 938 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #133: Jan 17, 2010 04:35:51 pm
      The two Yanks would sallow any transfer funds, fuckers
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #134: Jan 17, 2010 06:51:40 pm
      Last season everyone said that Gerrard is priceless, but now from a priceless player he became a player that we should sell for 50 million? Stevie is worth 100,000,000 times more than that. He isn't the youngest player in our club, but he still has the pace, he can attack, he can defend, he has a super powerfull and accurate shot, he could play anywhere in the field if he had to and even when he's playing sh*t he still manages to score goals. No other player can do that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #135: Jan 17, 2010 08:08:53 pm
      Last season everyone said that Gerrard is priceless, but now from a priceless player he became a player that we should sell for 50 million?

I'm not saying he should be sold, but loyalties to Gerrard aside who has probably 3 good years left in him if the 50 million per say was to be reinvested into the squad.

Would a 24 year old David Silva, a 21 year old Juan Mata and a 21 year old Javi Martinez not be seen as good buys considering Silva has minimum 6 years in him Mata has a minimum 9 years in him as does Martinez.

3 players giving you that sort of future for 1 player giving you say 3 years approaching the twilight of his career, football wise that would need consideration especially given our finances.

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2010 08:16:59 pm by RedLFCBlood »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #136: Jan 17, 2010 08:28:03 pm
      People talk about loyalty to the club, but will the club show him loyalty in 4 years time, he may want another season, we may turn it down, we will not be loyal to him when his performances dip still further, he will be on the scrap heap. Football is ruthless, the whole idea is that stars come, stars go and that assets need to be shipped out when they have had their day, maybe he wants a few glory days in sunny Spain/Italy where it would probably prolong his career. He could easily play another 6 years in Italy - but only if he left now, doubt he would get a move after we have decided we are done with him.

Do what is best for you Stevie would be my advice, if he indeed has lost his passion (which I actually don't believe) then I'd prefer him to go and be happy elsewhere, then our memories of Stevie are that of the great times, not those where he is going through the motions, living off his past name.

Liverpool will live on, just about.
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #137: Jan 17, 2010 11:02:55 pm
      there has to be some point in gerrards career when selling him is the best option for the club. Just down to who he is, his sale would command a good income for LFC.
      Maybe he knows that there is a point where its better for LFC for him to be sold and he just wants LFC to make the most money on him?
      But i would rather Stevie stay with liverpool for the rest of his career if his sale would only service a debt.

Quick Reply