Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Aston Villa v Liverpool Man Of The Match?

Fernando Torres
      (20.6%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (4.4%)
      Pepe Reina
      (68.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (6.3%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (0%)

Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool: Post Match finish off the Christmas sherry

Read 29703 times
      gradual improvement
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts | -1 
      Re: Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool: Post Match finish off the Christmas sherry
      Reply #230: Dec 30, 2009 01:05:31 pm
      Sloppy defending at times doesn't mean we weren't the best team.

is a fair point lad, anyway is the points that count in my book

StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #231: Dec 30, 2009 01:06:35 pm
      And here comes the unbeaten streak to win us the title...
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #232: Dec 30, 2009 01:15:45 pm
      FERNANDOOOOOOO FERNANDOOOOOOOO.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #233: Dec 30, 2009 02:11:44 pm
      Get in lads !!!

I will accept another 18 of them in the league this year, although if we did, I don't think my nails, nerves or heart could take it.

Now lets build on this
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #234: Dec 30, 2009 03:45:42 pm
      Dare I say that Pepe is the best keeper in the world I don't see Given,Cech or Iker pull off the saves he does.....
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #235: Dec 30, 2009 03:51:24 pm
      Dare I say that Pepe is the best keeper in the world I don't see Given,Cech or Iker pull off the saves he does.....

I agree, Pepe's the best!!  :clap:  Cheers reds, walk on  :scarf:
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #236: Dec 30, 2009 04:07:32 pm

Say it all day, he is the best in the League, without a shadow of a doubt. How many times has he pulled us out of the sh*t this season? A lot more than any other player has, we are truly blessed to have a player with such great calibre.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #237: Dec 30, 2009 04:47:12 pm
      Not one to tempt fate, but I think this could be the turning point of our season ;)

Now lets get back up there and make the others sweat!

1 MISERABLE POINT TURNED INTO 3, CHECK

1 DEADLY STRIKER RETURNING TO FORM, CHECK

:)
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #238: Dec 30, 2009 06:07:08 pm
      I'm still flying from last night's result. It's been a while since I felt this feeling. Now hopefully they take this confidence building result and run with it.

Really unfair to say that Villa were the better side. I thought it was fairly even and they even had me shaking around the 80th when Villa had a good spell of possession. Of course, the better team prevailed because the better team fought tooth and nail to the final whistle.

I was lmao watching MON's reaction after Nando's goal. Priceless.  :lmao:

Didn't see Rafa's reaction, though. If anyone has a picture/video of that, I'd love to see it. Same for the postmatch with Rafa.

On the matter of Stevie G, it was good to see that he's at least found his enthusiasm again. Also, a return to form as captain in that he acknowledged Aquilani's missed freekick. It was a good try nonetheless and it's good to have another threat at setpieces. Speaking of setpieces, what about that fantastic dummy?! If not for Carew's (?) foot, it could surely have been goal.

I've not much to complain about as I saw a lot of grit out there bar no one. Everyone was up for it, though our defense is very worrisome at times. I love Carra to bits, but does it not seem he's slower than ever?

Good to see Babel with some fire in his belly. Keep that up and we'll love you.

Pepe is my MOTM..no doubt about it. He kept the hope alive with some mind boggling saves...none more amazing than the Downing shot on goal.

And there's nothing I can add to what's already been said about our Nando. I too get squishy in the pants when I think of him.  :laugh:

No what I meant mate is we kept hold of the ball well and dominated possession just the final ball around the edge of the 18 yarder was more often than not breaking down to a poor pass. If we had been more incisive in our final ball or at least as good as the build up play to it, then we could have had a sack full of goals.

That is spot on. It just wasn't happening in the final third. Not until it mattered most, that is.

What a team. Loving this feeling.

YNWA   :scarf:

Oh! I'd like to add that it's nice to see new posters here when it's not all doom & gloom. Welcome one & all!
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #239: Dec 30, 2009 06:48:28 pm
      Its funny how the our club's state effects my entire mood.  Enjoying the feeling right now thats for sure :)
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #240: Dec 30, 2009 06:51:56 pm
      Its funny how the our club's state effects my entire mood.  Enjoying the feeling right now thats for sure :)

You have no idea how scary it is to lose before a big exam...
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #241: Dec 30, 2009 06:58:48 pm
      Reina is the most under rated keeper around, what a signing by Rafa this lad was £6 million is a steal. Thought he was outstanding again last night.

I thought we controlled the game for long periods last night. Again though I think we have a massive problem in the wide positions.

I think Benyoun does his best work more centrally everytime he gets the ball on the left he just cuts inside. On the other side Kuyt while he runs all day has neither pace nor creativity.

This leaves us with a massive problem trying to break teams down. To be honest prefer to see Babel ahead of Benyoun on the left if nothing else at least it will give us some pace there.

I think Rafa if he has any funds available badly needs to buy at least one wide man in January or we will continue to break down teams. If the funds were available I'd like to see 2 new wide men.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #242: Dec 30, 2009 07:28:23 pm
      All I was able to do was listen on R5L.  When the goal went in, I can't remember roaring any louder, even when I used to stand on the Kop. Hey, Pepe done what he was paid for.....Nando done what he was paid for. We had the majority of possesion, and loads of it in their half. They were always being pressed back apart from first 10 mins, a spell at the end of the first half and a spell near the end of the match. Yes, they had chances but no more that us. We made one stick, they didn't. For a team who look to be replaceing us in the top 4. They were quite ordinary for a team playing at home. One header from Carew, One shot from agbonlihore and that's their total offering from their strikers. We were still not at our best but still by far the better team. Well deserved 3 points and on  the road to recovery. Great team effort, every position on the park.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #243: Dec 30, 2009 08:53:17 pm
      Reina is the most under rated keeper around, what a signing by Rafa this lad was £6 million is a steal. Thought he was outstanding again last night.

I thought we controlled the game for long periods last night. Again though I think we have a massive problem in the wide positions.

I think Benyoun does his best work more centrally everytime he gets the ball on the left he just cuts inside. On the other side Kuyt while he runs all day has neither pace nor creativity.

This leaves us with a massive problem trying to break teams down. To be honest prefer to see Babel ahead of Benyoun on the left if nothing else at least it will give us some pace there.

I think Rafa if he has any funds available badly needs to buy at least one wide man in January or we will continue to break down teams. If the funds were available I'd like to see 2 new wide men.
      I'd like to see someone else who can provide a service to Nando.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #244: Dec 30, 2009 09:11:49 pm

Fernando!
      Fernando!
      Fernandoooooooooooo!

Must have been taking tips off the missus
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #245: Dec 30, 2009 09:15:32 pm
      What effort from Torres it's clear that he isn't 100% but he pops up with the winner.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #246: Dec 31, 2009 12:14:45 am
      Given pulls off some world class saves as well so I'd say that comment is baised, but Reina is on form and is definatly one of the best.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,256 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #247: Dec 31, 2009 12:22:49 am
      Given pulls off some world class saves as well so I'd say that comment is baised, but Reina is on form and is definatly one of the best.

Fair point well made. Cech is off his game but Given, Casillias and Buffon could rightly be held up against Reina as the best.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #248: Dec 31, 2009 12:32:22 am
      Get the F**k in ...what a way to end the year.  :scarf: :clap:

Loving it....can't remember the last time WE actually scored in stoppage time to win a game and what an important game to do it in.

On ya Nando, top class finish again and just goes to show that no matter how crap you are playing, you need to be on that pitch as much as is phyically possible. Your class is undeniable mate and I F***ing love ya, even if I was calling for you to be subbed. Shows you how much I know.  :-[

I thought it was a lot better than we have played for quite a while but if it wasn't for my MOTM Pepe Reina, we would have been staring down the barrel of another miserable defeat. Thank F**k Pepe pulled off those blinders. Still can't believe he saved that shot form Downing...that was world class.

Well boys, 2 on the bounce, 2 clean sheets and we can say bye to this miserable last half of the year on a winning note and hopefully continue the winning streak for another 18 League games in 2010. Come on you REDS.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #249: Dec 31, 2009 01:06:23 am
      Whether we deserved it or not, it's a great result and something we really need.

Come on Reds! This is to a wonderful 2010 for us.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #250: Dec 31, 2009 02:18:10 am
      Fanastic result by the reds a real confidence booster lets hope its not a flash in the pan and we can build upon this.

All coming from someone who wants to be "proven right" about Rafa ;D.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #251: Dec 31, 2009 04:46:08 am
      First back-to-back victories since September.

It was the day we walked through the wind, the rain, the snow.

We walked through the storm, not afraid of the Birmingham dark, and held our heads up high.

Everything pieced together, from the saves of Reina, with the rub of the green, and the pitch-perfect timing of the goal.

It was a magical day and our turnaround of the season starts today.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #252: Dec 31, 2009 07:14:22 am
      Had me feeling really nervous that game.  Used to dread the late kick offs 'cos if we lost than just can't get to sleep with a heavy heart at 3am.

Well done Pepe, well done Nando!!  Really happy for them, the team and all of us fans.

Quick Reply