Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Pacific Mini Series Spring 2010

Read 12291 times
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: The Pacific Mini Series Spring 2010
      Reply #69: May 02, 2010 09:49:37 pm
      Finally caught up here, some serious mayhem going on in these last 2 eps, crazy. Still loving it, great series. New episode airs tonight, so I'll be watching that next few days.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #70: May 15, 2010 03:13:57 am
      About to watch the 9th episode right now, can't believe there's only one left after this one though :-\

Has anyone else seen Generation Kill too? If you like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and The Hurtlocker then you can't go wrong with Generation Kill, loved it.
      Generation Kill: About The Story (HBO)
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2010 03:32:20 am by Dexter »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #71: May 15, 2010 02:26:47 pm
      Has anyone else seen Generation Kill too? If you like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and The Hurtlocker then you can't go wrong with Generation Kill, loved it.
      Generation Kill: About The Story (HBO)

Got the book by Evan Wright and the DVD, absolute quality is Generation Kill.

Stay frosty Dexter!!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #72: May 16, 2010 03:11:36 pm
      Haven't read the book yet, completely forgot about it but I've added it to my list :)

Episode 9 of The Pacific was gruesome wasn't it? It was great, but some moments were quite hard to watch.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #73: May 22, 2010 11:31:31 pm
      Well, I've seen the whole series now and feel I can comment on it as a whole.

I've read quite a lot of commentaries from people disappointed by it, and I can see where they are coming from, even if I don't agree.

My biggest gripe was that the series felt a little disjointed, but since it was following the progress of three seperate Marines rather than a single group of men, I suppose that was inevitable.

Since the series follows a correct timeline, jumps from one main character to another left me a little lost at times. I'll be happy to watch it again now I have a better idea who is who.

What the series did best I think was to highlight the sheer horror of warfare and it's effects on the men who experience it. The characters were well cast, and I was so moved by the stories of Marines Leckie and Sledge that I have bought their books which inspired the series to an extent.

When I've finished them I'll give a brief recommendation if anyone is interested, though both have great reviews so shouldn't be disappointing.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #74: May 23, 2010 02:53:58 am
      Well, I've seen the whole series now and feel I can comment on it as a whole.

I've read quite a lot of commentaries from people disappointed by it, and I can see where they are coming from, even if I don't agree.

My biggest gripe was that the series felt a little disjointed, but since it was following the progress of three seperate Marines rather than a single group of men, I suppose that was inevitable.

Since the series follows a correct timeline, jumps from one main character to another left me a little lost at times. I'll be happy to watch it again now I have a better idea who is who.

What the series did best I think was to highlight the sheer horror of warfare and it's effects on the men who experience it. The characters were well cast, and I was so moved by the stories of Marines Leckie and Sledge that I have bought their books which inspired the series to an extent.

When I've finished them I'll give a brief recommendation if anyone is interested, though both have great reviews so shouldn't be disappointing.
      I loved it. It didn't feel that disjointed to me, the concept worked for me. And yeah, some pure horror there, episode 9 especially, gruesome. I might look into those books too, I'm very intrigued.

I do prefer Band of Brothers though, but that's mostly I think because I'm just that much more connected to that part of the 2nd world war, being from Holland. Even if my grandfather was imprisoned in a Japanese camp.

Have you seen Generation Kill too Ayrton? You'd love that too I think.

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #75: Jul 02, 2010 08:09:40 pm
      Bump, mainly for Dexter's sake. ;)

Finished reading both books. "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene Sledge, and "Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie.

Both made facinating reading, though I preferred Sledge's writing style and massiv attention to detail if I had to choose.

What I can say is that both men's experiences have been well respected in the series, and if anyone if interested in finding out a little more about them, I can heartily recommend these books.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #76: Jul 03, 2010 02:15:07 am
      Mainly for me? I'm honoured  ;)

They're still on my list ayrton.
      If I wouldn't be watching the whole world cup and be drinking so much during I might actually get some reading done too :laugh:
      Should have some time soon though. Loved the characters in the series, so REALLY looking forward to reading more about them.
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #77: Jan 20, 2011 01:27:01 pm
      Finally managed to make the time to watch this. What a brilliant series. It was equal parts inspiring and saddening.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #78: Jan 20, 2011 02:55:29 pm
      Saw the first few episodes on the iternet, truely great miniseries.
      Think I still prefer Band of Brothers though for the simple reason I know more about what happened in Europe and it concercend me more. Both series excellent.

Hopefully buy this on DVD soon.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #79: Jan 20, 2011 04:51:10 pm
      I'm sure it is out on DVD I remember getting a brochure through before crimbo,we need a follow up!.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #80: Jan 20, 2011 05:15:45 pm
      Saw the first few episodes on the iternet, truely great miniseries.
      Think I still prefer Band of Brothers though for the simple reason I know more about what happened in Europe and it concercend me more. Both series excellent.

Hopefully buy this on DVD soon.

Agreed in regards to Band of Brothers. I'm so much more familiar with the European campaign. Then again, therein lies part of the tragedy of what happened in the Pacific. People undersell it (for lack of a better word), and the weight of what occurred there is diminished. Strange (for Americans especially) since our entry into WWII was based on an event in the Pacific (Pearl Harbor) and one of our most iconic images is the soldiers, sorry Marines, staking our flag on Iwo Jima.

I'm sure this must be out on dvd. Like you alluded to el b, they would want to take advantage of the first Xmas after airing.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #81: Jan 20, 2011 08:03:52 pm
      Agreed in regards to Band of Brothers. I'm so much more familiar with the European campaign. Then again, therein lies part of the tragedy of what happened in the Pacific. People undersell it (for lack of a better word), and the weight of what occurred there is diminished. Strange (for Americans especially) since our entry into WWII was based on an event in the Pacific (Pearl Harbor) and one of our most iconic images is the soldiers, sorry Marines, staking our flag on Iwo Jima.

I'm sure this must be out on dvd. Like you alluded to el b, they would want to take advantage of the first Xmas after airing.

Been out on DVD & blu-ray for a fair while, actually. I'm waiting for the blu-rays to come down in price as i missed the last half a season due to us losing HBO. Brilliant series from what i saw though, and agreed about lack of knowledge of the Pacific front. I know a decent amount about bits of it, but its such an intricate conflict in its details of where and why things happened that i still wanna read a lot more on it.

Laura's grandpa was actually stationed on a little island in the Pacific, some place called Baker Island where basically all that was on the island was an airstrip.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #82: Jan 28, 2011 09:10:43 pm
      Got the DVD, very happy with it.

One criticism I might have is there isn't as much bonus footage on it as I'd hoped.

I very much appreciate watching the veterans have their say.

Quick Reply