Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos)

Read 10585 times
      kookkai
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts |
      Re: Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiakos)
      Reply #46: Feb 01, 2010 06:19:20 pm
      So is it confirmed?
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #47: Feb 01, 2010 06:38:06 pm
      Not yet it seems.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #48: Feb 01, 2010 11:35:20 pm
      Still not among the established top stars I expect Liverpool tgo be competing for. Haven't got a clue how he might peform in the Prem.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #49: Feb 01, 2010 11:53:19 pm
      I like Greeks, they play their hearts out :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #50: Feb 06, 2010 04:06:46 am
      City consider Torosidis swoop
      Manchester City are considering a summer swoop for Olympiakos defender Vasilis Torosidis, according to his agent.

The Greece international, who was linked with moves to Liverpool and Blackburn in the January transfer window, was also wanted by Sunderland boss Steve Bruce.

But the Black Cats baulked at the 7million euros asking price for the right-back and were only prepared to table a bid of 4million euros.

Eastlands boss Roberto Mancini is unlikely to be hindered by financial constraints given the backing at his disposal and is expected to make a decision over any move after the World Cup.

Torosidis' agent, Giorgos Kazianis of the All Star Consultancy Agency, confirmed that his client would welcome the opportunity to move to the Premier League.

City had been monitoring the attack-minded full-back before Mancini's appointment and only elected not to make a move in January as the Italian tactician wanted further scouting reports.

Real interest

Kazianis told skysports.com: "The possibilities for Vasilis to play football in England for a Premier League club are good because I have had contact in the last 20 days with Manchester City.

"City called us and asked a few things about Torosidis. They showed real interest and they told us that they will keep their eye on Vasilis during the World Cup.

"They know him very well but since Roberto Mancini didn't know the player very well, they decided not to do anything in January.

"They told us that they will keep watching him until the World Cup and we will speak again in the summer. They know that the clause is 7million euros and, of course, Vasilis would love to play for such a big club."

Intention

Kazianis confirmed that Sunderland made an enquiry over Torosidis' availability but were not prepared to meet Olympiakos' valuation of the 24-year-old.

He added: "The interest of Sunderland was big. I spoke with the directors of the club and their intention was to make an offer of 4million euros to Olympiakos.

"I told them that Olympiakos doesn't want to sell the player with this money.

"The clause is 7million euros and this was the main reason that Sunderland didn't make an official offer."
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #51: Feb 07, 2010 02:01:17 pm
      Almost like we are City's idols.

Everyone we're reported to be interested in - they are then interested in.
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #52: Jul 18, 2011 09:00:39 pm
      http://www.gazzetta.gr/article/item/210250-kai-e-liverpoul-gia-toro

Liverpool and Stoke are after him and he could cost less than 7m euros. (I could say 4-5m are enough)

The article is in greek language and their source is http://www.insidefutbol.com/. I don't know how reliable is this site...
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #53: Jul 18, 2011 09:15:06 pm
      I've always been a fan of the lad.  He is tall, yet elegant and composed on the ball.  He is quick and has some decent pace, yet he is fairly strong.  He has good positional sense and times his tackles well.  He is good on the ball and has a fairly solid passing game.  Most importantly, he has the versatility to play as either a RB or a LB.  

The only problem with him is that I believe he is naturally right footed, and we already have a right footed player who can play LB in Glen Johnson.  If we are going to spend money on a new LB, it needs to be a naturally left footed player who can provide accurate crosses from deep to find Carrol and Suarez in the box, can support Downing defensively,  and can add some overlapping runs in too.  I don't see Toro as the ideal player to fit in with our current team.  
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2011 09:21:10 pm by harrydunn08 »
      achilleas10
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      • Born Red, Live Red, Die Red
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2011 09:22:49 pm
      His natural position is RB. He played as LB for Greek national team. He could also play as DMC and sometimes he played as MR. He could be a good backup player for all these positions (if we need a player like him)...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2011 09:23:37 pm
      I've always been a fan of the lad.  He is tall, yet elegant and composed on the ball.  He is quick and has some decent pace, yet he is fairly strong.  He has good positional sense and times his tackles well.  He is good on the ball and has a fairly solid passing game.  Most importantly, he has the versatility to play as either a RB or a LB. 

The only problem with him is that I believe he is naturally right footed, and we already have a right footed player who can play LB in Glen Johnson.  If we are going to spend money on a new LB, it needs to be a naturally left footed player who can provide accurate crosses from deep to find Carrol and Suarez in the box, can support Downing defensively,  and can add some overlapping runs in too.  I don't see Toro as the ideal player to fit in with our current team. 

:D

Only heard good things about him and would be a logical signing but who knows what our targets are right now.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2011 09:28:27 pm
      ^ I see quickness and pace as two separate things.  Quickness IMO refers to a players ability to react in a timely manner or a players ability to accelerate up to top speed.  Pace is the top speed a player can register in a straight line.  
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #57: Jul 19, 2011 02:48:33 am
      This guy is the man. A star of my Greek team Olympiakos. Not just a Right Back either - he would be great in the Premier League. A year starting for a team like Stoke would be good for him, not sure where he would fit in for us but it'd be quite an interesting buy. Olympiakos are in the Champions League Group Stage already though, would they sell some of their better players?

Quick Reply